IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:23 AM   #441
Warp12
King of Kings

Herschel Walker accuser comes forward with fresh relationship claims
Quote:
The second woman to allege that she was pressured into having an abortion by Herschel Walker, the Republican nominee in Georgia’s hotly contested US Senate race, on Tuesday presented previously unseen letters, audio recordings and pages of her personal diary that she said were evidence of their relationship, which he has denied.

The alleged new evidence of the relationship between the woman and the former college football star included a voicemail recording in which Walker was purported to say to her: “This is your stud farm calling, you big sex puppy you”.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-relationship

First, the timing is interesting. But second...who would have guessed that he is also a romantic?
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:26 AM   #442
slyjoe
Illuminator

Turns out Walker is a Texas resident, at least for tax purposes. He took a tax break for a primary residence.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/23/polit...off/index.html
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:40 AM   #443
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Turns out Walker is a Texas resident, at least for tax purposes. He took a tax break for a primary residence.

The timing of these latest revelations could hardly be better for Dems. Early voting this Saturday.

Quote:
Counties had been relying on the guidance provided by Raffensperger as they prepared for the runoff election, under the assumption that voting would not be allowed Nov. 26, the Republican groups argue. Only 10 counties — "all of them Democrat-leaning" — plan to hold early voting on Saturday, they note.

That "sows confusion and inequity into the voting process, preventing the clarity and uniformity that Georgia's citizens deserve," they argue.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republi...rschel-walker/

Last edited by Warp12; 23rd November 2022 at 11:43 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:09 PM   #444
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
The timing of these latest revelations could hardly be better for Dems. Early voting this Saturday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republi...rschel-walker/
What a shock that the Dems know the laws and are prepared to handle voting when the polls are legally allowed to be open.

"Our voters don't know when to vote, and you guys do. This is unfair" is a really strange argument.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:13 PM   #445
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What a shock that the Dems know the laws and are prepared to handle voting when the polls are legally allowed to be open.

"Our voters don't know when to vote, and you guys do. This is unfair" is a really strange argument.
Only 10 counties — "all of them Democrat-leaning" — plan to hold early voting on Saturday, they note.

And whose fault is it that the other counties aren't allowing early voting? I'm gonna take a "wild shot" (/s) and say right leaning county commissioners.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:21 PM   #446
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

It's actually a lot worse than that. Republicans were actually suing to prevent Saturday voting. In the suit (which lost in court on Friday and the appeal was rejected by the GA Supreme Court today), Republicans claimed that counties wouldn't have the time to prepare for the Saturday vote because Republicans passed a law which cut the runoff election from 9 weeks to 4 weeks.

'We screwed our polling places out of more than half the time they have to prepare, so you should only allow early voting during normal business hours for one week only" is really the case they thought would win.

And the only reason there is a runoff? GA's runoff election law which was created specifically to stifle "the Negro bloc" from having an impact on elections.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:37 PM   #447
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It is nice to see that they're plans to rig the election are backfiring a bit.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 01:03 PM   #448
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

Gee whiz!

That sure is weird even for a guy like Walker.

So perhaps Walker can come up with some sort of Vampire/Werewolf riff that features Georgia State Residents/Non-Georgia State Residents.

On 15FEB2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 01:04 PM   #449
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
It's actually a lot worse than that. Republicans were actually suing to prevent Saturday voting. In the suit (which lost in court on Friday and the appeal was rejected by the GA Supreme Court today), Republicans claimed that counties wouldn't have the time to prepare for the Saturday vote because Republicans passed a law which cut the runoff election from 9 weeks to 4 weeks.

'We screwed our polling places out of more than half the time they have to prepare, so you should only allow early voting during normal business hours for one week only" is really the case they thought would win.

And the only reason there is a runoff? GA's runoff election law which was created specifically to stifle "the Negro bloc" from having an impact on elections.
Talk about an own goal of the highest magnitude. Seriously who planned all of this stuff? It's not like when making the law they couldn't have consulted with something like a calendar to notice the time frames before and after the changes their law intended to make.

Jesus these idiots are dense. I'm pleased though. If the Dems get Warnock that means that if we lose one of the alt-right SCOTUS members the Senate will have no problems confirming a new jurist. Thanks GOP!
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 04:48 PM   #450
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Herschel Walker accuser comes forward with fresh relationship claims

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-relationship

First, the timing is interesting. But second...who would have guessed that he is also a romantic?
I heard his erection is about the people. Can you confirm that?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2022, 04:53 PM   #451
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post

Multiple independent reports seem to confirm this.
Old 24th November 2022, 12:02 PM   #452
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
And do you know what that's the first step towards? Yep, somebody's fixin' to get ******.
Old 24th November 2022, 04:20 PM   #453
mgidm86
Philosopher

Even my Republican, "still kinda would vote for Trump" Dad, said "Holy **** I'm embarrassed to be a Republican!" after I showed him Walker talking about China's bad air.

Small steps. Then of course he said, "Both sides are in trouble! Look at AOC!"

Geez Dad, that was so five years ago and there's no comparison, but like I said, small steps.

Conservatives like him need to update their list of grievances. "Pelosi, gawdamn Clinton death count, AOC!" It's all they have. "Biden said 100 million instead of 100,000! OMG!"

Last edited by mgidm86; 24th November 2022 at 04:21 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 06:43 AM   #454
arayder
Illuminator

Let's just be honest here and admit the Walker's sole qualification is that he's Trump's pick.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 07:09 AM   #455
mikegriffith1
Critical Thinker

As an Independent, I have no trouble admitting that Herschel Walker comes across as rather uneducated and that he speaks English very poorly. But, Warnock, though much more articulate than Walker, has a checkered past and a far-left voting record. If I lived in GA, I would not have voted for Walker in the GOP primary, but I would have voted for him in the general election and would vote for him in the runoff.

He won the GOP primary mainly because he's a famous former football player. He was clearly not the best choice among the GOP contenders.
Old 25th November 2022, 07:23 AM   #456
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
As an Independent, I have no trouble admitting that Herschel Walker comes across as rather uneducated and that he speaks English very poorly. But, Warnock, though much more articulate than Walker, has a checkered past and a far-left voting record. If I lived in GA, I would not have voted for Walker in the GOP primary, but I would have voted for him in the general election and would vote for him in the runoff.

He won the GOP primary mainly because he's a famous former football player. He was clearly not the best choice among the GOP contenders.
Warnock has a checkered past?? If you take Walker's past and cut it up into 18 inch squares, you could sell checkers boards on eBay and retire on the proceeds.
Old 25th November 2022, 07:32 AM   #457
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Let's just be honest here and admit the Walker's sole qualification is that he's Trump's pick.
Typo or auto-correct?

Old 25th November 2022, 08:09 AM   #458
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Typo or auto-correct?

r u sure?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 08:17 AM   #459
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Warnock has a checkered past?? If you take Walker's past and cut it up into 18 inch squares, you could sell checkers boards on eBay and retire on the proceeds.
Mike does give a candid look into the far-right, GOP mindset though. It doesn't matter that Walker has myriad problems ranging from funding abortions to not even claiming a permanent residence in the state that he's trying to represent as a Senator. That means nothing when compared to the fact that Warnock isn't perfect, and worse than that, he's a Dem.

They'll gladly put someone who is completely unqualified in office rather than have a Dem. It's that simple.
Old 25th November 2022, 08:29 AM   #460
arayder
Illuminator

Mike does give a candid look into the far-right, GOP mindset though. It doesn't matter that Walker has myriad problems ranging from funding abortions to not even claiming a permanent residence in the state that he's trying to represent as a Senator. That means nothing when compared to the fact that Warnock isn't perfect, and worse than that, he's a Dem.

They'll gladly put someone who is completely unqualified in office rather than have a Dem. It's that simple.
My 95 year old aunt, an arch conservative, finally had had enough of DJT in 2020.

She couldn't vote for Biden, so she voted for some Green Party or a libertarian or something. She told me if there had not been a third candidate she'd have left that part of the ballot blank.

I wonder if more than a few Republicans will stay home for the Georgia run off.

Last edited by arayder; 25th November 2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 25th November 2022, 09:38 AM   #461
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

But he’s “Independent”!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 09:53 AM   #462
Warp12
King of Kings

"Qualified" for what? No Dem is "qualified" to represent conservative views, it would seem. Even if Walker sides entirely along party lines, that would be better than almost any Democrat. We don't want demented liberal policies, no matter how technically "qualified" that candidate might be. It's that simple.
Old 25th November 2022, 09:59 AM   #463
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

"Qualified" for what? No Dem is "qualified" to represent conservative views, it would seem. Even if Walker sides entirely along party lines, that would be better than almost any Democrat. We don't want demented liberal policies, no matter how technically "qualified" that candidate might be. It's that simple.
"Conservative views" in this case being that transgender people are icky and the bible is a resource for learning biology. To which I say, keep it up. For the good of the country, please continue to learn nothing from the last three election cycles and keep pushing this culture war nonsense.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 10:01 AM   #464
arayder
Illuminator

I have to differ with what I see as your highly biased view.

Many representatives pride themselves on being servants to all the people they represent and from time to time reach across the isle to vote and/or negotiate.

Some have diverse policy stances and voting records such that they are "conservative" on one issue and "liberal" on another.
Old 25th November 2022, 10:03 AM   #465
Warp12
King of Kings

Many representatives pride themselves on being servants to all the people they represent and from time to time reach across the isle to vote and/or negotiate.

Some have diverse policy stances and voting records such that they are "conservative" on one issue and "liberal" on another.

Too funny.
Old 25th November 2022, 10:08 AM   #466
arayder
Illuminator

Too funny.
That dismissive response is just plain oblivious to reality.

I hope you will take the time to educate yourself on this issue.
Old 25th November 2022, 10:28 AM   #467
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
But he’s “Independent”!
LoL yeah, I'm sure he is.

He won't, and Warp12 just said exactly how the right-wing thinks. They don't care if their candidate is intelligent, has varying views, or thinks for themselves. They want a yes-man. Something Walker has proven time and again that he will be. In fact, as Warp12 has pointed out, it's actually better for them to have someone that doesn't buck the trend, reach across the aisle or even speak to someone who's a Dem.

To the right, Dems aren't just a different political ideology, they're the enemy. A sworn enemy. As long as they get someone that will check the box they're ******* told to check, when they're told to check it, then it matters not who sits in the seat.
Old 25th November 2022, 10:34 AM   #468
autumn1971
Illuminator

Remember, it’s not the actual vote on an issue, it’s the “D” after the name that defines the ultra-leftist attitude. A Dem voting against abortion rights has still made a leftist decision.
Hell, the orange **** eater had socialist protectionism at the forefront of his fiscal policies at times. The Dems who voted for conservative economic decisions were the real leftists.

To modern republicans a “leftist” voting record is still pretty much being a Regan Republican, at least economically
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 11:44 AM   #469
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Remember, it’s not the actual vote on an issue, it’s the “D” after the name that defines the ultra-leftist attitude. A Dem voting against abortion rights has still made a leftist decision.

Because that happens all the time.

As I say, better to vote for Walker than any Dem. At least you know he will likely stick to the popular conservative points.

Last edited by Warp12; 25th November 2022 at 11:52 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 11:47 AM   #470
arayder
Illuminator

Because that happens all the time.
This thread is about Herschel Walker.

If you want to talk about bipartisan politicians, or the lack thereof, I would ask that you start another thread.
Old 25th November 2022, 11:50 AM   #471
Warp12
King of Kings

He won't, and Warp12 just said exactly how the right-wing thinks. They don't care if their candidate is intelligent, has varying views, or thinks for themselves. They want a yes-man. Something Walker has proven time and again that he will be. In fact, as Warp12 has pointed out, it's actually better for them to have someone that doesn't buck the trend, reach across the aisle or even speak to someone who's a Dem.

To the right, Dems aren't just a different political ideology, they're the enemy. A sworn enemy. As long as they get someone that will check the box they're ******* told to check, when they're told to check it, then it matters not who sits in the seat.
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Hell, the orange **** eater had socialist protectionism at the forefront of his fiscal policies at times. The Dems who voted for conservative economic decisions were the real leftists.

To modern republicans a “leftist” voting record is still pretty much being a Regan Republican, at least economically
If you want to talk about bipartisan politicians, or the lack thereof, I would ask that you start another thread.

It was put forth that Republicans would sooner vote for Walker than a "qualified" Democrat. So, the discussion of partisan politics in this Senate race is entirely relevant. In fact, that is no doubt why Walker is neck-and-neck with Warnock.

Last edited by Warp12; 25th November 2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:22 PM   #472
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

If there was an entry-level examination on "How Government Works" required to be passed to be allowed run as a genuine political candidate, Walker would have trouble filing in his name let alone reading the questions. He would then chew the pencil and wipe his arse with the paper. He is THAT unqualified.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 12:23 PM   #473
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If there was an entry-level examination on "How Government Works" required to be passed to be allowed run as a genuine political candidate, Walker would have trouble filing in his name let alone reading the questions. He would then chew the pencil and wipe his arse with the paper. He is THAT unqualified.

All I need him to do is sit in the seat and vote along party lines. That is an improvement over any Dem.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:30 PM   #474
plague311
Great minds think...

All I need him to do is sit in the seat and vote along party lines. That is an improvement over any Dem.
He should have changed his campaign slogan to something like:

"Vote for me. I can do what I'm told!"

Not all that catchy though.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:33 PM   #475
Warp12
King of Kings

He should have changed his campaign slogan to something like:

"Vote for me. I can do what I'm told!"

Not all that catchy though.

We don't vote for people that we expect to go against the ideology. Like, what Dem votes for another Dem that they figure is against abortion, aggressively pro 2A, and anti-trans?

Not many, I will tell you. Why should it be any different for conservatives and their expectations of Walker?

Last edited by Warp12; 25th November 2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:34 PM   #476
plague311
Great minds think...

We don't vote for people that we expect to go against the ideology. Like, who votes for a Dem that they figure is against abortion, aggressively pro 2A, and anti-trans?

Not many, I will tell you. Why should it be any different for conservatives and their expectations of Walker?
You mean like Sinema and Manchin? Yeah, Dem voters never, ever pick someone that has varying views on issues. Good call Warp12. Spot on, as always.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:37 PM   #477
Warp12
King of Kings

You mean like Sinema and Manchin? Yeah, Dem voters never, ever pick someone that has varying views on issues. Good call Warp12. Spot on, as always.

Laughable examples. Seriously, like there are no complaints. Come on.

People vote for those they think give them the best shot at their ideology being represented. Sometimes they aren't left with the most promising choices, obviously.

Last edited by Warp12; 25th November 2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:38 PM   #478
plague311
Great minds think...

Laughable Accurate examples.
FTFY. I know, words are tough. Glad I could help.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:43 PM   #479
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I expect a candidate for office to be articulate (adj) and to be able to articulate (v) their positions clearly.

Walker fails on both counts. Warnock excels - agree or not with his politics.

There have been highly articulate Republicans in the past, too many to name, though Lincoln exemplifies what I mean. Now, though there may be articulate Republicans in office, they seem largely hobbled. For instance, they all voted against capping insulin at $35 and Medicare drugs out-of-pocket at $2,000. I’m pretty sure a case could be made for their “no” vote, but whatever it might have been was never clearly articulated that I could tell. And that applies to so many of their recent obstructionist votes. I’m not holding my breath that a Senator Walker (God forbid) would ever come to the Senate floor and speak articulately, or even coherently, on such matters.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 25th November 2022 at 12:45 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 12:57 PM   #480
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I’m not holding my breath that a Senator Walker (God forbid) would ever come to the Senate floor and speak articulately, or even coherently, on such matters.

My opinion is that it isn't likely he will win. I would call it highly doubtful.

But I thought the same about Trump...so who knows?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics