IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th November 2022, 06:58 AM   #921
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
This is wing nutty. There's no creep toward fascism by the Republicans. If anyone is creeping toward fascism, it is the Democrats in the Justice Department, the FBI, and the U.S. Attorneys offices with their weaponization of the justice system to persecute political opponents.
Law and order just confuses the right, I guess.
Old 9th November 2022, 11:24 AM   #922
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Too used to it being little more than code for completely different concepts that are usually a bit less socially acceptable to actually say, perhaps?
Old 9th November 2022, 11:47 AM   #923
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
This all became clear to me when someone put it this way. The Right doesn't see crime as an action you commit, they see it as a demographic you are part of.

In their mind sure Republicans might commit crimes but they aren't criminals. Poor brown people are criminals.
Old 11th November 2022, 06:20 PM   #924
Aridas

Well, this is probably about the right place for this -

‘Groyper’ general wishes for ‘dictatorship,’ wants to ‘force the people to believe what we believe'

Adding just a slight bit of context there -

Quote:
And it sucks, and it is what it is, but that’s why we need dictatorship. [Guffaws] That’s ironically why we need to get rid of all that.

We need to take control of the media, take control of the government, and force the people to believe what we believe. Or force them to play by our rules, and reshape the society.
Also, well...

Quote:
If you’re an immigrant, no vote for you. If you’re here for one or two generations, you don’t get to vote. If you’re a woman, you will never get to vote.
I don't think that I need to add comment, really.
Old 11th November 2022, 06:37 PM   #925
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Fuentes also said ranted:
Quote:
"And you gotta recognize the fact that this is a godless country. I hate it. It’s immoral, it’s wrong, it’s heinous, it’s evil. But this is an evil country. And this country will surprise you with how evil it is."
Fuentes said the 'quiet part' very loudly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Man I hate the USA.jpg (26.1 KB, 5 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2022, 07:03 PM   #926
Venom
Philosopher

Something tells me skinny incels like him won't be the ones calling the shots in a strongman dictatorship and he'd better be more careful about what comes outta his punk mouth.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2022, 10:31 PM   #927
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans, far more than Democrats, will praise the Country when they are in charge, telling everyone how it is the best, better than ever, and claim that it is a tyrannical hellhole of poverty the moment Democrats are in government.
Old 12th November 2022, 02:49 AM   #928
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Well, this is probably about the right place for this -

‘Groyper’ general wishes for ‘dictatorship,’ wants to ‘force the people to believe what we believe'

Adding just a slight bit of context there -

Also, well...

I don't think that I need to add comment, really.
Crazy attracts crazy like a magnet!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 11:32 AM   #929
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Nick "American Taliban" Fuentes.

You know when people from outside the USA say that the USA is crazy? That dangerous lunatics like Fuentes are not sectioned but given airtime is why.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 01:04 PM   #930
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Nick "American Taliban" Fuentes.

You know when people from outside the USA say that the USA is crazy? That dangerous lunatics like Fuentes are not sectioned but given airtime is why.
Actually all countries have such lunatics. The problem in the USA is that they have so many lunatic followers who believe their tripe.
Old 12th November 2022, 02:39 PM   #931
Venom
Philosopher

And I wonder how long we can actually tolerate their anti-free speech free speech without looking like the bad guys to millions of contrarian trolls.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 05:16 PM   #932
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Actually all countries have such lunatics. The problem in the USA is that they have so many lunatic followers who believe their tripe.
Yep! Stupidity is an epidemic in some parts of the country.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 05:49 PM   #933
Aridas

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yep! Stupidity is an epidemic in some parts of the country.
Err... I'd be tempted to say that stupidity is an epidemic in all parts of the country. It's just that some parts are better equipped to handle it.
Old 21st November 2022, 06:42 PM   #934
Aridas

This probably fits here.

Greg Abbott plans to place tank-like vehicles at border to meet scary asylum-seeking families
Old 21st November 2022, 06:46 PM   #935
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Are absolutely, 100%, no doubt about it sure that Texas can't secede?
Old 21st November 2022, 07:03 PM   #936
Aridas

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Are absolutely, 100%, no doubt about it sure that Texas can't secede?
No. Don't forget that it's not actually Texas that's the problem, though, so much as the Republicans in power that actively work to screw both them and us over on false pretenses. And, of course, to keep themselves in power, Texas may have the worst gerrymander in the country.

Elsewhere, this also seems relevant to this thread.

South Carolina school board’s far-right takeover promptly produces firings and disgusted teachers

Really short version? Blatant racism and sabotage of public education.
Old 21st November 2022, 08:30 PM   #937
Aridas

Oh, and here's another bit of ugh. Talk about grooming?

Republican’s unique plea deal in child sex abuse case means he won’t register as a*sex offender

This is a guy who has kept his freedom and managed to get over 41% of the vote in a relatively blue area of South Dakota despite being publicly known to be a child rapist and groomer. That is the lowest amount that he's got in 3 tries, but, even so...

Pretty perfect example of how much grooming doesn't matter so much to most Republican voters if the groomer's the R candidate.
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:51 AM   #938
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, and here's another bit of ugh. Talk about grooming?

Republican’s unique plea deal in child sex abuse case means he won’t register as a*sex offender

This is a guy who has kept his freedom and managed to get over 41% of the vote in a relatively blue area of South Dakota despite being publicly known to be a child rapist and groomer. That is the lowest amount that he's got in 3 tries, but, even so...

Pretty perfect example of how much grooming doesn't matter so much to most Republican voters if the groomer's the R candidate.
Child sexual abuse is only bad if the Clintons do it in the basement of a pizza parlor.

Old 22nd November 2022, 03:29 PM   #939
Aridas

This is in a slightly different direction from the usual, but likely does also fall under fascist creep.

Tax Filing Websites Have Been Sending Users’ Financial Information to Facebook

The Markup found services including TaxAct, TaxSlayer, and H&R Block sending sensitive data

Not only Facebook, though, and some of the information being sent by some of the companies has apparently suddenly stopped being sent after they found out that they had been caught. The corporate side and drivers of fascism and their disdain for rights should not be neglected. Also of some note is that H&R Block is probably the major reason why we don't have free IRS tax filing software. For that matter, they may be why the government doesn't just go "This is the information we have. Is it correct and complete?" making taxes extremely quick and easy (and free) for the overwhelming majority of tax payers.

Oh, and apparently some of that private information may have ended up being cited on crisis pregnancy websites, among other places.

Last edited by Aridas; 22nd November 2022 at 03:48 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics