IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th November 2022, 02:21 PM   #1121
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Whihc meand you are angry that not all Americans are as far to the left as you would like.
And, of course ,you totally write off centrists and moderates. Good way to throw away elections.
The Dems have been getting more and more centrists and moderates, so I'm not sure what you're bitching about here. No one is writing them off in the slightest.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 02:37 PM   #1122
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Even raw totals don't really show the whole picture; particularly for the house. IIRC, there were a bunch of uncontested republican seats while not many uncontested democratic ones so that skews things.

Also, I believe these claims were made before the west coast (i.e. Calirfornia) votes came in.
For sure, and there are the years when a California Senate seat is up and there are no Republican candidates in the race. That's an 11-12 million difference right there.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 02:51 PM   #1123
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In what is hopefully a good sign, the first major Senate political action since the election is a bill to protect gay marriage, with 12 Republicans joining the 50 Democrat's in voting yes, adverting any potential filibusters.
Old 16th November 2022, 03:36 PM   #1124
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
For sure, and there are the years when a California Senate seat is up and there are no Republican candidates in the race. That's an 11-12 million difference right there.
That is because California has a system where the two candidates with the most votes in the primary, regardless of party, square off for the Senate.
If the California GOP were not so inept, they would run a candidate who could get enough votes to get on the November ballot.
Of course the California GOP has the rep in the GOP of being totally inept, the gang who could'nt shoot straight.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 04:42 PM   #1125
ZiprHead
Muse

Republicans just hit 218 in the House.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 04:44 PM   #1126
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It was a long-shot for Dems to get the majority House. Oh well, at least Republicans have no teeth, legislatively, for now. Unfortunately, they still have the SCOTUS doing damage to the country.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 04:48 PM   #1127
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In what is hopefully a good sign, the first major Senate political action since the election is a bill to protect gay marriage, with 12 Republicans joining the 50 Democrat's in voting yes, adverting any potential filibusters.
Marjorie Traitor Greene's head will explode for sure!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 05:04 PM   #1128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Let's face it, the Dems chances of holding the House were never good given their thin majority to begin with, that the party in power almost always suffers losses in the mid terms, and they had a horrid headwind with inflation, which is hurting a lot of people.
IMHO they did well to keep the GOP from getting more then a razor thin majority. Most projections were for a much bigger gain by the GOP.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 05:29 PM   #1129
Suddenly
No Punting

This made me realize that the last six years have gotten me to the point where I'm having trouble processing promising news. It's a good thing not only for those directly affected but it's hard to not see it as a kind of "moderate" GOP warning shot at the Supreme Court about getting too weird on privacy issues. I mean, I'm not going to stop dragging the Democratic Party like the cranky old organized labor fanatic I am, but between this and the midterms not being a total disaster it's like there might actually be the beginnings of a pulse for a centrist coalition to at least avoid my darkest political forecasts. Which I can live with.

It would be nice to be wrong about stuff for once.

I really have no idea how to react. It's like if one of my wife's cats started talking to me in perfect English. It's weird.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 08:05 PM   #1130
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
IMHO they did well to keep the GOP from getting more then a razor thin majority. Most projections were for a much bigger gain by the GOP.
The projections were systemically biased, for reasons which we can only begin to guess at so far. It is telling that Dems overperformed wherever reproductive rights or voting rights were clearly on the ballot, though.

Last edited by d4m10n; 16th November 2022 at 08:07 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 11:17 PM   #1131
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The Dems have been getting more and more centrists and moderates, so I'm not sure what you're bitching about here. No one is writing them off in the slightest.
I have been trying to find out what dudalb means when he cries wolf about far left Dems and what makes them far left? Whenever asked, he ignores the question.
Old 17th November 2022, 12:08 AM   #1132
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Any update on Boebert vs Frisch?

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:13 AM   #1133
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
The thing is even if Frisch manages to scrape through a win, it leaves the door for election fraud claims from Boebert...Kari Lake will have good company.
Old 17th November 2022, 12:15 AM   #1134
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Only 1,122 votes separate them as of now with Boebert leading. But they are still counting overseas and military ballots. Colorado allows those ballots postmarked up to election day so they are also being counted along with those that had to be corrected for signature, etc. by today. They don't expect a final count until Friday.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 12:01 PM   #1135
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Nancy Pelosi will not seek leadership of House going forward. No real word on my level on who the likely replacement is.
Old 17th November 2022, 12:17 PM   #1136
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Nancy Pelosi will not seek leadership of House going forward. No real word on my level on who the likely replacement is.
Steny Hoyer and Jim Clyburn also out. Most likely -- but not certain -- successor is Hakeem Jeffries.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hake...ry?id=93489303
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 01:11 PM   #1137
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Steny Hoyer and Jim Clyburn also out. Most likely -- but not certain -- successor is Hakeem Jeffries.
I was going to say Jeffries. He isn't near progressive enough for my likes, but from an operational standpoint, there aren't really any better choices. Regardless, not getting a progressive in the main leadership role isn't going to stop move towards progressive policies.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 07:17 PM   #1138
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Lauren Boebert's race with Adam Frisch for Colorado's Third Congressional District is too close to call and may be headed for a recount. Yahoo News reports-
Quote:
As of Thursday afternoon, Boebert was ahead of Frisch by a margin of 0.16%, or 543 votes. State law calls for an automatic recount if the final margin in a race is less than a percentage point, which would need to be completed by Dec. 13, the New York Times reported. The drawn-out counting of votes has been a result of waiting for mail ballots from members of the U.S. military living overseas to be received. The deadline for the receipt of those ballots was Wednesday. Voters were also given until Wednesday to "cure" ballots that were initially rejected for reasons such as that they contained mismatching signatures. Yahoo News link
Meantime, Bobo is keeping it classy like always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keeping it classy.jpg (27.1 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 07:34 PM   #1139
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Whenever I listen to Obama, the stark difference in intelligence and class to Trump comes shining through.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2022, 07:47 PM   #1140
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Whenever I listen to Obama, the stark difference in intelligence and class to Trump comes shining through.
I sure miss having an erudite President
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 07:39 AM   #1141
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

That's sort of big news, although maybe sort of obvious in hindsight.

I wonder if she was planning to step down anyway or if the attack on her husband had something to do with it.

Either way, I think it's about time.
Old 18th November 2022, 07:44 AM   #1142
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

I wonder if she was planning to step down anyway or if the attack on her husband had something to do with it.

I don't really think much is to be gained by trying to find a motive. She's been doing the job for 4 Administrations now, that's a good run by any standards.

"The 82 Year Old Woman who's been at the same job for 15 years, in the same industry since 1976 has decided to retire" would be exactly zero "OMG WHY WE NEED A REASON!" in any other context, so while politics must politic, I'm not overly tempted to start digging for one here.
Old 18th November 2022, 08:17 AM   #1143
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
He's been rumored to be Pelosi's successor for a few years now. The first impeachment hearing was supposed to be his moment. I think he did well.
Old 18th November 2022, 08:20 AM   #1144
Donal
Philosopher

I don't really think much is to be gained by trying to find a motive. She's been doing the job for 4 Administrations now, that's a good run by any standards.

"The 82 Year Old Woman who's been at the same job for 15 years, in the same industry since 1976 has decided to retire" would be exactly zero "OMG WHY WE NEED A REASON!" in any other context, so while politics must politic, I'm not overly tempted to start digging for one here.
Especially after years of "when will Nancy retire?" Lord knows I'm not her biggest fan, but I don't think you need to dig too deep here. Given the ******** we're about to view, she's probably decided to stick around another term or 2 to help Jeffries transition into the role.
Old 18th November 2022, 08:30 AM   #1145
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, when you put it that way, it seems obvious, but some politicians the only way they leave is in a wooden box. Strom Thurmond, Ted Kennedy, Ruth Bader Ginsburg etc.
Old 18th November 2022, 11:58 AM   #1146
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, when you put it that way, it seems obvious, but some politicians the only way they leave is in a wooden box. Strom Thurmond, Ted Kennedy, Ruth Bader Ginsburg etc.

I think the last time RBG could be regarded as a "politician" was when she ran for Class President at James Madison High School in the late 1940's

Last edited by smartcooky; 18th November 2022 at 12:06 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 12:39 PM   #1147
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

I think the last time RBG could be regarded as a "politician" was when she ran for Class President at James Madison High School in the late 1940's
She still should have retired, especially given her condition and age at the time. She had health issues for years. I admire RBG, but her decision not to retire is a massive blemish on an amazing career.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 12:47 PM   #1148
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Categorizing a SCOTUS judge as "Political" invoking even the slightest bit of backlash is rather confusing to me.
Old 18th November 2022, 12:57 PM   #1149
crescent
Philosopher

As of a few hours ago there were about 300 votes left to be counted. Boebert was ahead by about 500 and Frisch has conceded.

It is close enough to trigger an automatic recount, but those rarely change anything.

The 300 remaining votes were from a conservative leaning area, so it is not likely to get any closer.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 01:28 PM   #1150
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
One thing Obama does well is sell a message. But after his very average presidency and during the reign of Trump and aftermath, he had a chance to be the liberal figurehead that Democratic voters could turn to for moral support. He had an opportunity to give 20 Ron Johnson speeches over this time period. He could have been there from the beginning of the fight. He could have been that guy for the sane half of America. But he kept going with the boring disingenuous "nonpartisan", nonconfrontational routine for years after he left.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 01:42 PM   #1151
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
As of a few hours ago there were about 300 votes left to be counted. Boebert was ahead by about 500 and Frisch has conceded.

It is close enough to trigger an automatic recount, but those rarely change anything.

The 300 remaining votes were from a conservative leaning area, so it is not likely to get any closer.
https://www.westword.com/news/lauren...count-15497463
"Frisch added: "It would be disingenuous and unethical for us, or any other group, to continue to raise false hope and to encourage fundraising for a recount. Colorado’s elections are safe, accurate, and secure. Please, save your money for your groceries, your rent, your children, and for other important causes and organizations."
You can be 100% certain that if the election had gone the other way, Boebert would screeching about election fraud. Frisch shows his class here, class that is totally absent from Boebert's character.
Old 18th November 2022, 03:15 PM   #1152
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

What I just heard is that she had planned to step down from the leadership post already, but that the attack is a reason she did not include stepping down from Congress itself.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 04:13 PM   #1153
ZiprHead
Muse

She said 4 years ago she would do 4 more years and that would be it.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 04:19 PM   #1154
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
One thing Obama does well is sell a message. But after his very average presidency and during the reign of Trump and aftermath, he had a chance to be the liberal figurehead that Democratic voters could turn to for moral support. He had an opportunity to give 20 Ron Johnson speeches over this time period. He could have been there from the beginning of the fight. He could have been that guy for the sane half of America. But he kept going with the boring disingenuous "nonpartisan", nonconfrontational routine for years after he left.
Damn him for wanting some normality and privacy in his life after 8 years as president.

"very average presidency"? Let's see about that:
Quote:
The economy gained a net 11.6 million jobs. The unemployment rate dropped to below the historical norm.

Average weekly earnings for all workers were up 4.2 percent after inflation. The gain was 3.7 percent for just production and nonsupervisory employees.

After-tax corporate profits also set records, as did stock prices. The S&P 500 index rose 166 percent.

The number of people lacking health insurance dropped by 15 million. Premiums rose, but more slowly than before.

The federal debt owed to the public rose 128 percent. Deficits were rising as Obama departed.

Home prices rose 20 percent. But the home ownership rate hit the lowest point in half a century.

Illegal immigration declined: The Border Patrol caught 35 percent fewer people trying to get into the U.S. from Mexico.

Wind and solar power increased 369 percent. Coal production declined 38 percent. Carbon emissions from burning fossil fuel dropped 11 percent.

Production of handguns rose 207 percent, to a record level.

The murder rate dropped to the lowest on record in 2014, then rose and finished at the same rate as when Obama took office.
Quote:
Gathering statistics is a painstaking and time-consuming job. Figures on crime, household incomes and poverty in 2016 weren’t released until September 2017, for example.

But now we have a reasonably complete statistical picture of the Obama years, which began in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, and ended with the highest level of household income ever recorded.
https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

Average? Hardly.
Old 23rd November 2022, 09:12 AM   #1155
Tero
Master Poster

Election stolen again.
https://thehill.com/regulation/court...2022-election/
If the Republicans could only learn to vote by mail, they could win some elections.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 04:46 AM   #1156
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I recently learned there are some differences. At 50/50, senate rules require that committees be 50/50. At 51/49, there is no such requirement. There are a couple other fine points which I forget.
I just learned that at 50/50, the Dems don't have subpoena power.
Old 28th November 2022, 08:53 AM   #1157
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Well, they've already shown that their subpoenas mean nothing anyway, so that's not a real difference. And "Senate rules" are whatever the Senate feels like setting for itself.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 02:03 PM   #1158
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Election stolen again.
If the Republicans could only learn to vote by mail, they could win some elections.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 02:07 PM   #1159
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Well, they've already shown that their subpoenas mean nothing anyway, so that's not a real difference. And "Senate rules" are whatever the Senate feels like setting for itself.
And that's another limit on a 50/50 senate -- can't change the rules.
Old 28th November 2022, 02:08 PM   #1160
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Election stolen again.
A reminder that the elections in Maricopa County - where most of these complaints are directed - is run almost exclusively by Republicans.

Republicans apparently stole the election from themselves.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics