IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th October 2022, 04:50 PM   #121
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
FTFY
You beat me to it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 04:50 PM   #122
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I saw two people at Walker's rally interviewed. They both stated "I believe Herschel," and
"If Herschel says it's a lie, it's a lie."

How very Trumpian of them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 05:30 PM   #123
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

I saw two people at Walker's rally interviewed. They both stated "I believe Herschel," and

fify
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 06:46 PM   #124
autumn1971
Illuminator

FTFY
Given your additions, that is also list of when republicans say sex with underage people is okay.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 06:56 PM   #125
ZiprHead
Muse

Imagine what they would be saying if there was a D behind Walker's name.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 07:22 PM   #126
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Imagine what they would be saying if there was a D behind Walker's name.
Hence the notion of spreading the rumour that Walker is a Democrat deep-state plant, intended to make the GOP look stupid.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 09:18 PM   #127
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Numerous commentators have observed that that's always been the Trump playbook: Admit nothing, deny everything and counterattack, no matter what the evidence proves. And many other Repubs have now adopted exactly that philosophy. Shame is no longer a factor.

In Walker's case, there might be room for a separate discussion about the idolization of athletes. This guy was a college football star 40+ years ago. He had a mixed record in the NFL, which he left 25 years ago. He has produced nothing and accomplished nothing since. But his name recognition alone got him a Senate nomination.

Last edited by Bob001; 6th October 2022 at 09:24 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 10:51 PM   #128
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Numerous commentators have observed that that's always been the Trump playbook: Admit nothing, deny everything and counterattack, no matter what the evidence proves. And many other Repubs have now adopted exactly that philosophy. Shame is no longer a factor.

In Walker's case, there might be room for a separate discussion about the idolization of athletes. This guy was a college football star 40+ years ago. He had a mixed record in the NFL, which he left 25 years ago. He has produced nothing and accomplished nothing since. But his name recognition alone got him a Senate nomination.
I've never understood this idolization of sports stars in the US or anywhere else. They bore me to tears.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 05:14 AM   #129
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

He must have been really upset when he found out it wasn't a delivery service

Last edited by Donal; 7th October 2022 at 05:16 AM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 05:43 AM   #130
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

DARVO is a tactic often engaged by abusers and authoritarian leaders.

And on athletes gaining position beyond their capabilities, the most useless Irish Taoiseach, who also won the greatest share of votes, was Jack Lynch, a man famous for hurling, though in Lynch's case he was also a reasonably accomplished barrister.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 07:32 AM   #131
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
And on athletes gaining position beyond their capabilities, the most useless Irish Taoiseach, who also won the greatest share of votes, was Jack Lynch, a man famous for hurling, though in Lynch's case he was also a reasonably accomplished barrister.
Your guy had a long history of winning elections and appointments to increasingly responsible jobs, and he had been a civil service employee before that. Not much of a comparison.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lynch
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 07:56 AM   #132
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Let's take a short break for some humor and satire from Rex Huppke.

I don't care if Herschel Walker paid for an abortion or if he blew up the planet Alderaan

Quote:
Getting Walker elected is key to gaining control of the Senate. Now is not the time to let morality concerns get in the way.

There’s a report that Herschel Walker, the staunchly anti-abortion Republican running in Georgia's Senate race, got a woman pregnant then paid for her abortion back in 2009.

Like other staunchly anti-abortion Republicans, I have one thing to say about that: DON’T CARE!

Dana Loesch, a conservative radio host and former spokesperson for the National Rifle Association, put it best this week when she said: “I don’t care if Herschel Walker paid to abort endangered baby eagles. I want control of the Senate.”

Amen, sister. Abort those eagle babies! Like Loesch, I believe deeply in the sanctity of life and oppose all abortions – except for this one, which I will accept to prevent it from costing my party control of the Senate.
Quote:
As a matter of fact, I don’t think Loesch went far enough in defending Walker with her hypothetical eagle abortion clinic.

Like the many Republicans who’ve rushed in to stick up for Walker in the wake of the abortion news, I don’t care if the former football star is an ancient, trans-dimensional, shape-shifting entity of pure evil that takes the form of a clown named Pennywise and terrorizes a small town in Maine. I want control of the Senate, and I’m sure Walker regrets any past desire to feed on humans.

Heck, I don’t care if Walker oversaw the construction of a moon-size space station that blew up the 2-billion-person planet of Alderaan, then later got in an argument with his son and chopped his right hand off. We have to secure that Georgia Senate seat so we can stop President Joe Biden’s immoral agenda!
Old 7th October 2022, 09:02 AM   #133
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Let's take a short break for some humor and satire from Rex Huppke.

I don't care if Herschel Walker paid for an abortion or if he blew up the planet Alderaan
If Joseph Welch was to ask today, "Have you no sense of decency?" the answer would be crickets.

These guys should really check out the concept of a Faustian Bargain.
Old 7th October 2022, 09:08 AM   #134
Donal
Philosopher

They have no shame:

Quote:
Quote:
On her (Dana Loesch) radio show, the pro-life host said the race for Warnock’s seat is important above all else – including a single abortion from 2009.

So, does this change anything? Do you want my opinion? You’re listening. Not a damn thing. How many times have I said four very important words. These four words: winning is a virtue. What I’m about to say is in no means a contradiction or a compromise of a principle.

And, please keep in mind that I am concerned about one thing, and one thing only at this point. So, I don’t care if Herschel Walker paid to abort endangered baby eagles. I want control of the Senate.
Quote:
Quote:
IF true, Walker paid for one broad’s abortion compared to Warnock who wants your tax dollars to pay for EVERY broad’s abortion-as-birth control with no limitations. This isn’t a difficult choice and conservatives shouldn’t look to the left to validate their vote. https://t.co/XS3QugXEgE

— Dana Loesch (@DLoesch) October 4, 2022

"Skanks" and "broad"...talking about a woman/women she has never met and knows nothing about. Try looking in a mirror, Dana, and see why it's true that women can be just as misogynistic as men.
I remember back in early 2016, she was a "reasonable Republican" for about 10 minutes. Before it looked like he could be the nominee, she was a huge anti-Trumper. She'd be on CNN with Anderson Cooper rending garments about how terrible for America Trump's mere existence was, sharing the occasional smug laugh about Trump supporters.

Then, that first Super Tuesday happened and her tune changed.

The reality is, she is just another person who failed in their first career choice (in this case actor) and became a right-wing talking head who says stupid things for attention and profit.

Last edited by Donal; 7th October 2022 at 09:09 AM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 09:13 AM   #135
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
If Joseph Welch was to ask today, "Have you no sense of decency?" the answer would be crickets.

During Trump's first hearing the in the Senate, I said Welch would get his response in the form of laughter
Old 7th October 2022, 09:29 AM   #136
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't surprise me that the GOP is using the same playbook they do with Trump scandals that goes from denial, then to "it's not a big deal", to "all politicians do it", and now "he's evolved" etc. It gives their cult followers a myriad of excuses and lies choose to accept.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 09:37 AM   #137
Donal
Philosopher

Look at the response to Iran-Contra. All delfection and obfuscation. I keep telling people this didn't start with Trump.
Old 7th October 2022, 10:00 AM   #138
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It doesn't surprise me that the GOP is using the same playbook they do with Trump scandals that goes from denial, then to "it's not a big deal", to "all politicians do it", and now "he's evolved" etc. It gives their cult followers a myriad of excuses and lies choose to accept.
When all else fails, there's the resort to the "Scott DesJarlais defense" (Wikipedia)- "god has forgiven me." It has the advantage over all other defenses in that it can't be checked for truth, but can be relied on to work with people who don't care about such mundane things.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 10:29 AM   #139
shemp

They don't even know the meaning of the word "decency." And the concept of a Faustian Bargain is far above their intellectual capacity. They would be quite willing to sign a contract with Satan without reading it, so long as they get what they want.

Last edited by shemp; 7th October 2022 at 10:32 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 10:44 AM   #140
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Look at the response to Iran-Contra. All delfection and obfuscation. I keep telling people this didn't start with Trump.
Not a good comparison at all. Iran-Contra was thoroughly investigated, dozens of officials were indicted, and 11 -- including the SecDef -- were convicted. Reagan admitted the facts and apologized. And ultimately it was a policy issue. They believed that they could free American hostages in Lebanon by shipping arms illegally to Nicaraguan rebels. They never attempted to overthrow the U.S. government or sabotage democracy. The Trump crowd tells crazy lies to get and keep power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E...3Contra_affair
https://www.history.com/topics/1980s/iran-contra-affair
Old 7th October 2022, 11:11 AM   #141
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I've never understood this idolization of sports stars in the US or anywhere else. They bore me to tears.
I feel the same way about corporate CEOs inexplicably becoming celebrities that people build their entire personalities around
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 12:05 PM   #142
Donal
Philosopher

Not a good comparison at all. Iran-Contra was thoroughly investigated, dozens of officials were indicted, and 11 -- including the SecDef -- were convicted. Reagan admitted the facts and apologized. And ultimately it was a policy issue. They believed that they could free American hostages in Lebanon by shipping arms illegally to Nicaraguan rebels. They never attempted to overthrow the U.S. government or sabotage democracy. The Trump crowd tells crazy lies to get and keep power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E...3Contra_affair
https://www.history.com/topics/1980s/iran-contra-affair
And then they went on to deal weapons to Iraq illegally. And Reagan never admitted guilt. He spoke in some general "bad things happened". He should have been forced to resign himself.

Hell, look at what George HW Bush's attorney general was doing at the end of 1992. BTW, care to guess who that AG was?
Old 7th October 2022, 02:24 PM   #143
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I feel the same way about corporate CEOs inexplicably becoming celebrities that people build their entire personalities around
Some people have so little self-worth that they feel they have to live vicariously through others to even exist. So when their idols are threatened, they have to come to their rescue.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 04:07 PM   #144
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
And then they went on to deal weapons to Iraq illegally. And Reagan never admitted guilt. He spoke in some general "bad things happened". He should have been forced to resign himself.

Hell, look at what George HW Bush's attorney general was doing at the end of 1992. BTW, care to guess who that AG was?
Sure, there's plenty of evil in the world. But those guys were still making policy decisions with policy goals. The Trumper crowd are just lying, deranged grifters.
Old 7th October 2022, 05:55 PM   #145
Leumas
Philosopher

If Only...

It is a testament to the predatory nature of humanity and its futility.

If only the christians cheerleading for their lascivious idols regardless of their debauchery because they hypocritically and perfidiously pander to their tribal cults, made this poignant play a required reading in their churches and schools instead of the turpitudinous sordid buybull...
An Inspector Calls
Quote:
But just remember this. One Eva Smith has gone – but there are millions and millions and millions of Eva Smiths and John Smiths still left with us, with their lives, their hopes and fears, their suffering and chance of happiness, all intertwined with our lives, and what we think and say and do. We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for each other. And I tell you that the time will soon come when, if men will not learn that lesson, then they well be taught it in fire and blood and anguish
see @minutes 1:09:00
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Last edited by Leumas; 7th October 2022 at 06:07 PM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 06:04 PM   #146
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

GOP made a Faustian bargain a long time ago, and sooner or later the Devil will come around to collect.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 06:34 PM   #147
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
GOP made a Faustian bargain a long time ago, and sooner or later the Devil will come around to collect.
Had they offered their souls to the devil, they'd be losing nothing of value. But they are offering their country.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 06:40 PM   #148
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

They are already collecting... they are called the Christian Nationalists...
Quote:
Christian Nationalism is a spiritual, political, and cultural movement comprised of Christians who are working to build a parallel Christian society grounded in a Biblical worldview. This book is a guide for Christians to take dominion and disciple their families, churches, and all nations for the glory of Jesus Christ, our King

Also see this encouraging video
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Last edited by Leumas; 7th October 2022 at 06:45 PM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 06:51 PM   #149
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Had they offered their souls to the devil, they'd be losing nothing of value. But they are offering their country.
It's a countdown to a self-identifying Nazi being welcomed into the Republican party. And winning a House seat.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2022, 03:17 AM   #150
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Your guy had a long history of winning elections and appointments to increasingly responsible jobs, and he had been a civil service employee before that. Not much of a comparison.
The only good thing Lynch did as Taoiseach was to try and sideline Haughey, and he failed badly in that. In every other way he was an unkitigated disaster.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2022, 12:41 PM   #151
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpazees Tom Cotton and Rick Scott are out stumping for Walker today proving yet again that "winning the Senate" is more important than their country.
Old 11th October 2022, 12:55 PM   #152
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpazees Tom Cotton and Rick Scott are out stumping for Walker today proving yet again that "winning the Senate" is more important than their country.
Can you imagine Walker with his serious mental issues being the tie-breaking vote in the US Senate? "Making a mockery of an avoidable tragedy" would not even come close to describing it. It would be like trying to train an unmuzzled bear to tap-dance - you might succeed or you might get eaten, but meanwhile the bear will **** wherever it wants.
Old 12th October 2022, 03:27 AM   #153
catsmate
No longer the 1

Indeed. The comparison is utter bollocks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 05:58 AM   #154
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
When all else fails, there's the resort to the "Scott DesJarlais defense" (Wikipedia)- "god has forgiven me." It has the advantage over all other defenses in that it can't be checked for truth, but can be relied on to work with people who don't care about such mundane things.

That claim always mentally brings me to "Lisa", a Chick Tract so offensive that it they actually removed it from their website. Pornography drives a man to molest his daughter and let his neighbor molest her, and one of them gives her an STD. The doctor doesn't turn him in, his wife forgives him, and everything is okay, because God has forgiven him. Then the last panel reveals that his daughter (who had been unseen throughout the comic) is about five or six. But God forgave him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 03:01 PM   #155
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That claim always mentally brings me to "Lisa", a Chick Tract so offensive that it they actually removed it from their website. Pornography drives a man to molest his daughter and let his neighbor molest her, and one of them gives her an STD. The doctor doesn't turn him in, his wife forgives him, and everything is okay, because God has forgiven him. Then the last panel reveals that his daughter (who had been unseen throughout the comic) is about five or six. But God forgave him.
How convenient for some people that God can't confirm that he has or hasn't forgiven someone.

God says I won the mega millions lottery. Who are YOU to contradict what God says?
Old 12th October 2022, 03:18 PM   #156
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Chick was always mentally ill.
Old 12th October 2022, 03:42 PM   #157
shemp

I could only get 7 panels into that before I wanted to throw up. But there's plenty of people today who would agree that it all ended well.
Old 12th October 2022, 03:46 PM   #158
shemp

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Chick was always mentally ill.
There's lots of people who are mentally ill who don't sink to the depths that SOB did. He was pure evil. The kind of evil that says that you can do anything you want to other people, but if you repent then that makes it all OK. That's evil ********!

Last edited by shemp; 12th October 2022 at 03:48 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 05:41 PM   #159
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I can understand wanting to get him elected so the Republicans can control the Senate. Not condone, but understand in a 'cool motive, still evil', kind of way.

What I don't understand is why the GOP and their voters seem so sure he'll do what they want consistently. How predictable do they think a liar of this kind and magnitude, lacking in any moral bearings, and this mentally impaired, will be?

Setting aside any care for the country, because the GOP certainly does, even for their own goals, how sure are they that he'll vote to take away people's access to healthcare? That he'll take away gay rights? That he'll try to get the parents and doctors of trans kids arrested? That he'll never go for gun restrictions?

Dude could vote to ban straight sex then lie about it while waving a gun on the Senate floor.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 05:44 PM   #160
shemp

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I can understand wanting to get him elected so the Republicans can control the Senate. Not condone, but understand in a 'cool motive, still evil', kind of way.

What I don't understand is why the GOP and their voters seem so sure he'll do what they want consistently. How predictable do they think a liar of this kind and magnitude, lacking in any moral bearings, and this mentally impaired, will be?

Setting aside any care for the country, because the GOP certainly does, even for their own goals, how sure are they that he'll vote to take away people's access to healthcare? That he'll take away gay rights? That he'll try to get the parents and doctors of trans kids arrested? That he'll never go for gun restrictions?

Dude could vote to ban straight sex then lie about it while waving a gun on the Senate floor.
If he is elected, and if he wants to get reelected, he will vote however the party tells him to vote.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics