IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th October 2022, 01:12 PM   #241
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If the United States survives the next few years we will have to have a major look at how exactly the basic concepts of sanity and decency became so hated in America that people would elect people who are this horrible, this lying, and this stupid AND PUTTING ZERO EFFORT INTO HIDING IT just to get back at it.
'You know how insulting it is to be told your political choices are stupid is? You're making us do this!'

Is it as insulting as asking everyone to pretend it isn't, offloading agency for your actions onto others, and endangering our nation, to protect your ego? Cause, yeah, demanding people respect such disregard for basic civic duty is pretty insulting.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 01:27 PM   #242
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
NY Times article on Walker and his mental illness:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/20/u...l-illness.html
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 01:34 PM   #243
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If the United States survives the next few years we will have to have a major look at how exactly the basic concepts of sanity and decency became so hated in America that people would elect people who are this horrible, this lying, and this stupid AND PUTTING ZERO EFFORT INTO HIDING IT just to get back at it.
"Reality" shows like The Apprentice and Survivor and Shark Tank etc. extolling the psychopathy and love of money and one-upmanship and back-stabbing.

Those so called reality absurdities have vitiated the brains of their victims just as much as another "reality show" about the human sacrifice and Zombification of an ill begotten son of a racist ethnic cleansing sky daddy telling people that the belief in that will allow mass murderers to spend eternity in the bosom of said Zombie while their victims will be consigned to eternal torment for not falling for the "reality show".

Not to mention the previous seasons of the "reality" show about a Sumerian pimping poltroon who made lots of riches out of lying and selling the "beauty" of his half-sister wife and his son's lying deceiving conniving wife and her son cheating his father and uncle and brother.
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 01:42 PM   #244
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You know, I can understand why a psychopathic, amoral, self-serving worshiper of money would support an utterly unqualified candidate for office, simply because that candidate would let them loot the treasury to their heart's content.

What I don't get is the smug, "Ha Ha! The idiot isn't actually an idiot!" posturing. That's what really annoys me. Does this guy really think his blatant lies are going to convince you that the ****** candidate isn't actually ******?
No one wants to admit being a psychopathic, amoral, self-serving worshiper of money who votes for an utterly unqualified candidate for office.... so he wants to tell himself by proxy via convincing me that he is in fact voting for moral reasons for a most qualified superb candidate.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I mean, what did he think the point was of sending such an e-mail? If you're looking to con the rubes, why not put your effort into talking to the rubes?

He wants to convince himself that I am wrong when I kept repeatedly telling him that he and his ilk like Candice Owen et al remind me of Stephen.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Last edited by Leumas; 20th October 2022 at 01:45 PM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 02:52 PM   #245
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
NY Times article on Walker and his mental illness:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/20/u...l-illness.html
I wonder if the psychiatric hospital he says he was in can legally confirm that he wasn't there? Walker has lied about so many things that I take what he says with a silo full of salt.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2022, 03:54 PM   #246
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If he had a son with a Model, it makes perfect sense
Old 21st October 2022, 09:00 AM   #247
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I wonder if the psychiatric hospital he says he was in can legally confirm that he wasn't there? Walker has lied about so many things that I take what he says with a silo full of salt.
That's an interesting question. Confidentiality prevents doctors/hospitals from discussing their patients. But can they say this person is not/never was our patient? Why not? Of course, Walker could always claim because he was so famous he used an fake name or records are sealed or something. The hospital would probably be smarter to just not say anything.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 09:09 AM   #248
Donal
Philosopher

Well, if he wasn't being treated, he wouldn't be their patient.
Old 21st October 2022, 09:17 AM   #249
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Well, if he wasn't being treated, he wouldn't be their patient.
So that implies the only time a hospital could comment would be if he HADN'T been their patient.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 09:21 AM   #250
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That's an interesting question. Confidentiality prevents doctors/hospitals from discussing their patients. But can they say this person is not/never was our patient? Why not? Of course, Walker could always claim because he was so famous he used an fake name or records are sealed or something. The hospital would probably be smarter to just not say anything.
My question is why haven't the law enforcement departments that he's claimed to work with told us the truth? The only reason I can think of is it's Georgia and they're afraid of the backlash.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 09:33 AM   #251
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
My question is why haven't the law enforcement departments that he's claimed to work with told us the truth? The only reason I can think of is it's Georgia and they're afraid of the backlash.
Walker claimed to have worked with police in Cobb County Ga. "I work with the Cobb County Police Department, and I’ve been in criminal justice all my life,” he said in 2017"
The Cobb County Police Department has said they have no record of involvement with Walker.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 12:13 PM   #252
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
That would be the sensible and rational thing to do.

But there are many, MANY, rational and sensible things to do to get elected in the first place that he is abjectly failing to do. What would make him more likely to act in a rational manner once elected? He'll only get crazier as his crazy is enabled, his ego fed, and power is in his hands.
What's going on is that these crazies are realizing that instead of following MANY sensible things to stay viable, in the GOP it is much easier to stay in good standing. And aside from that they can do whatever the hell they like.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 02:17 PM   #253
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Walker claimed to have worked with police in Cobb County Ga. "I work with the Cobb County Police Department, and I’ve been in criminal justice all my life,” he said in 2017"
The Cobb County Police Department has said they have no record of involvement with Walker.
Pathological lying is seen as a positive feature by the MAGA crowd.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 07:06 PM   #254
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
What's going on is that these crazies are realizing that instead of following MANY sensible things to stay viable, in the GOP it is much easier to stay in good standing. And aside from that they can do whatever the hell they like.

And their Banana Republic minions pretending to be judges let them get away with it too.
Old 22nd October 2022, 04:42 AM   #255
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post

It's a standard practice when the appeal process will take longer than the duration of the sentence.
18 USC 3143(b)(1)(B)(iv)

"the judicial officer shall order that a person who has been found guilty of an offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment, and who has filed an appeal or a petition for a writ of certiorari, be detained, unless ... the appeal is not for the purpose of delay and raises a substantial question of law or fact likely to result in ... a reduced sentence to a term of imprisonment less than the total of the time already served plus the expected duration of the appeal process."

Last edited by Armitage72; 22nd October 2022 at 04:45 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:02 AM   #256
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's a standard practice when the appeal process will take longer than the duration of the sentence.
18 USC 3143(b)(1)(B)(iv)

"the judicial officer shall order that a person who has been found guilty of an offense and sentenced to a term of imprisonment, and who has filed an appeal or a petition for a writ of certiorari, be detained, unless ... the appeal is not for the purpose of delay and raises a substantial question of law or fact likely to result in ... a reduced sentence to a term of imprisonment less than the total of the time already served plus the expected duration of the appeal process."

And was this also the case with Roger Stone who was convicted ... and got off ... sentenced 3 months later and got off... any other person would have been in jail on the day of his conviction or at least his sentencing...

Had any other person done 1/100th of any of the crimes that Trump did... s/he would be now in jail... not to mention the crimes of the rest of his minions in the Congress.

And now we see the same with this other not so big cojones in this Banana Republic.... he will not spend a day of his sentence.

Last edited by Leumas; 22nd October 2022 at 11:48 AM.
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:32 AM   #257
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
There's no real justice in the U.S. We are well on our way to being a failed country. We just need an actual dictator to get us over the line. And I'm pretty sure that will hapen.
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:53 AM   #258
Reformed Offlian
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
IANAL, but my understanding is that doctor/patient privilege belongs to the patient. Unless Walker was actually a patient there, there's no issue. There may be other legal policies/protections pertaining to medical records in place that constrain a hospital from discussing who was and wasn't there, but if Walker wasn't actually a patient, the hospital saying so isn't a breach of doctor/patient confidentiality, regardless of whatever other laws or policies such a disclosure might violate.

Last edited by Reformed Offlian; 22nd October 2022 at 11:55 AM.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2022, 12:33 PM   #259
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm surprised a journalist has not contacted Del Amo hospital to verify Walker's statement. If Walker was never a patient there, then I think it's in the best interest of Georgia voters to know that he's told yet another Walter Mitty whopper.

Frankly, if he has been diagnosed with D.I.D., or just believes he has/had it, I think that, his history of domestic violence, and delusional lying makes him unfit to be a US senator.

Quote:
But experts say Mr. Walker’s assertion that he has “overcome” the disorder is simplistic at best: Like other mental illnesses, dissociative identity disorder cannot be cured in the classic sense. Psychiatrists say that while patients can learn to manage this disorder — and even live symptom-free for extended periods — the symptoms can recur, often triggered by stress.

“You can get better,” said Dr. David Spiegel, a Stanford University psychiatry professor who studies and treats dissociative identity disorder. “But it doesn’t just evaporate.”
Old 22nd October 2022, 04:26 PM   #260
ZiprHead
Muse

I'm surprised a journalist has not contacted Del Amo hospital to verify Walker's statement. If Walker was never a patient there, then I think it's in the best interest of Georgia voters to know that he's told yet another Walter Mitty whopper.

Frankly, if he has been diagnosed with D.I.D., or just believes he has/had it, I think that, his history of domestic violence, and delusional lying makes him unfit to be a US senator.
Maybe he was cured by Jeeesus.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2022, 07:06 PM   #261
Leumas
Philosopher

For the degenerate wicked republican voters nothing makes a difference ... even being a pedophile has not stopped them voting for one... and they repeatedly voted for Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruise and their ilk... the most loathsome heinous despicable servile obeisant sycophantic dishonorable hypocritical scum to ever float at the surface of the most wretched of the cesspools of villainy.
Old 22nd October 2022, 07:19 PM   #262
Leumas
Philosopher

There's no real justice in the U.S. We are well on our way to being a failed country. We just need an actual dictator to get us over the line. And I'm pretty sure that will hapen.

The dress rehearsal they did with Trump taught them how to do it the next time... so you are totally right.

They are not even hiding it... they are saying it out loud in the open...
Quote:
We're on the battlefield that I believe is the most important battlefield, which is the local battlefield.

You don't want to allow the enemy to choose the terrain to fight on. The terrain that I have chosen to fight on is the local battlefield, the local terrain. And I think that that's the terrain that will win the day.

And is this an awakening in the biblical sense? Is this a spiritual awakening? You bet it is.

This is where our nation is. We are at the edge. Some of our country is already down into the abyss.

There is a spiritual war and there is a political war. They're going on in this country right now.

Last edited by Leumas; 22nd October 2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 26th October 2022, 01:18 PM   #263
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A second woman has come forward, albeit anonymously, and claimed she became pregnant by Walker in 1993 in Texas and that he "ensured" she got an abortion. She had gone to the clinic the day before and changed her mind but Walker then drove her to the clinic where he 'ensured' she got the abortion. She says she is a registered Independent and voted for Trump twice so this is not politically motivated but feels that Walker says one thing publicly but does another in his private life. Walker denies both women's claims.

Walker has also claimed he never sighs "H" in his letters but the woman, who says they had a years long relationship, claims that is not true as he also signer letters to her "H".

Last edited by Stacyhs; 26th October 2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 26th October 2022, 01:30 PM   #264
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

A small correction, but I believe you mean "ensured" and not "insured."
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 01:58 PM   #265
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
A small correction, but I believe you mean "ensured" and not "insured."
Yes, I did. Thanks for the correction and I've edited it. That's one of those things I "know" but constantly fall back to misusing. GRRRRRR.
Old 26th October 2022, 02:00 PM   #266
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham made the comparison of these women coming forward to what happened to Kavanaugh. I guess these two women are also "lying"? Amazing how all these women are lying about these poor men!
Old 28th October 2022, 11:39 PM   #267
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Obama on Herschel Walker: "Some of you may not remember, but Herschel Walker was a heck of a football player... does that make him the best person to represent you?... let's say you're at the airport and you see Herschel Walker and you say, Hey, there's Herschel Walker, Heisman winner. Let's have him fly the plane!"
Old 29th October 2022, 11:29 AM   #268
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham made the comparison of these women coming forward to what happened to Kavanaugh. I guess these two women are also "lying"? Amazing how all these women are lying about these poor men!
I'm not sure Lindsay knows a lot about women.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 04:15 PM   #269
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He knows they shouldn't be allowed to make decisions about their own bodies. Just like Herschel!
Old 30th October 2022, 11:17 AM   #270
shemp

Not to blame these women in any way, but the world would be a much better place if people made more intelligent choices in whom they want to shag. But science will never answer the question "Why do fools fall in love?".

Last edited by shemp; 30th October 2022 at 11:18 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2022, 12:18 PM   #271
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Not to blame these women in any way, but the world would be a much better place if people made more intelligent choices in whom they want to shag. But science will never answer the question "Why do fools fall in love?".
Nah!

If intelligence had anything to do with it, I'd still be a virgin.
Old 31st October 2022, 01:19 PM   #272
shemp

If you're only going to watch one video on Twitter today, watch this one. This guy hits the nail on the head.

https://twitter.com/DonLew87/status/1587120280161292288
Old 31st October 2022, 02:14 PM   #273
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If you're only going to watch one video on Twitter today, watch this one. This guy hits the nail on the head.

https://twitter.com/DonLew87/status/1587120280161292288
While he's totally right, the fact he did this as the pastor in his church is putting his tax-exempt status at risk.
Old 31st October 2022, 05:17 PM   #274
ZiprHead
Muse

While he's totally right, the fact he did this as the pastor in his church is putting his tax-exempt status at risk.
Meh. Right-wing pastors get away with a lot more than this and are never touched.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2022, 05:24 PM   #275
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Meh. Right-wing pastors get away with a lot more than this and are never touched.
Exactly...and they need to be. There is no room for politics, left, middle, or right, being preached from the pulpit. We've all seen what happens when religion and politics mix on a formal basis. Nothing ever good comes from it.
Old 31st October 2022, 06:26 PM   #276
Leumas
Philosopher

Exactly...and they need to be. There is no room for politics, left, middle, or right, being preached from the pulpit. We've all seen what happens when religion and politics mix on a formal basis. Nothing ever good comes from it.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” -- George Santayana

And given the state of education of history... or anything else for that matter... ah well!!!
Old 31st October 2022, 07:53 PM   #277
shemp

The day this gets enforced is the day when
Old 1st November 2022, 03:50 PM   #278
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” -- George Santayana

And given the state of education of history... or anything else for that matter... ah well!!!
Ain't that the truth! I saw a girl about 17-20 years old asked what the capital of the US is. She hesitated, got a confused look on her face and asked, "Wait. Do we have a capital?" I wanted to throw my remote control at the TV.
Old 1st November 2022, 05:36 PM   #279
shemp

Don't do that! Throw the coffee table, it's bigger!
Old 1st November 2022, 05:55 PM   #280
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Herschel Walker denies he knows the second woman who has claimed he paid for her abortion (his baby).

"Seven days before an election, the Democrats trot out Gloria Allred and some woman I do not know. My opponents will do and say anything to win this election. The entire Democrat machine is coming after me and the people of Georgia."

Hmmmm... this woman he 'does not know' appeared on GMA today:

Quote:
The woman allowed her face to be shown on camera, but her name remained concealed. She reiterated many of the allegations that she and her attorney, Gloria Allred, first made in late October, saying she and Walker had a six-year affair that began in the late 1980s while he was married and playing in the NFL.

Doe said she became pregnant in 1993, and Walker convinced her to have an abortion. She said he drove her to the clinic and gave her cash to pay for the procedure. She shared with ABC what she said were letters from Walker signed with the letter "H," a photo of him asleep, hotel receipts from the time and a voicemail she purports to be from him.
Quote:
The woman said she decided to show her face after seeing Walker strongly deny allegations made by another woman who said he also paid for her abortion in 2009.

"He immediately called her a liar and said, 'I never signed anything with the letter H,' and I knew I had many cards from him where he signed the letter 'H.' And so I believed then that she was telling the truth," she said.
Quote:
She said she kept in touch with Walker over the years, and saw each other at a conference in 2019. A friend who took a photo of Doe and Walker at the conference told ABC News their embrace was "very emotional."

Doe, who says she's a registered independent and voted for former President Donald Trump twice, told ABC News that Walker is unfit to be a senator because "honesty matters."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hersche...rning-america/

Ok...I believe her but...she voted for Trump twice but "honesty matters"? Oh, boy... amazing now some people can be so willfully blind.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics