IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd November 2022, 03:30 PM   #281
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Ok...I believe her but...she voted for Trump twice but "honesty matters"? Oh, boy... amazing now some people can be so willfully blind.
All too many people seem to think that saying the quiet part out loud is the same as honesty.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:54 PM   #282
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
All too many people seem to think that saying the quiet part out loud is the same as honesty.
It is more honest that not saying it. Just that they are being honest about being awful people.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:08 PM   #283
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Claiming that "honesty matters" and then saying you voted twice for a pathological liar who has never gone a waking hour without lying is just unbelievable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2022, 03:03 AM   #284
Leumas
Philosopher

Claiming that "honesty matters" and then saying you voted twice for a pathological liar who has never gone a waking hour without lying is just unbelievable.

I am sure he lies in his dreams too...
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2022, 06:03 AM   #285
Armitage72
Philosopher

Ain't that the truth! I saw a girl about 17-20 years old asked what the capital of the US is. She hesitated, got a confused look on her face and asked, "Wait. Do we have a capital?" I wanted to throw my remote control at the TV.

If it makes you feel better, they probably had to ask dozens of people before they got an answer the producers felt was amusing enough to put on TV.
I remember back when I was working retail, a guy came to the register and asked me "Do you accept Federal Reserve Notes?" I replied "I should hope so, since that's money." He seemed disappointed that he wasn't able to mock me.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:30 PM   #286
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
If it makes you feel better, they probably had to ask dozens of people before they got an answer the producers felt was amusing enough to put on TV.
I remember back when I was working retail, a guy came to the register and asked me "Do you accept Federal Reserve Notes?" I replied "I should hope so, since that's money." He seemed disappointed that he wasn't able to mock me.
Yes, that's true, but it's a sad fact that many Americans are woefully ignorant of the most basic facts we should have learned in school. She wasn't the only one displaying gross ignorance.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 11:41 PM   #287
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Obama: “Some of you may not remember, but Herschel Walker was a heck of a football player. But here’s the question: does that make him the best person to represent you in the US Senate? Does that make him equipped to weigh in on the critical decisions about our economy and our foreign policy and our future?”

Herschel Walker: "“He forgot to tell people I created one of the largest minority-owned food service companies in the United States of America, so I do sign the front of a check, which he’s probably never done except when he was in the White House.

I created businesses, I sit on a public traded board. So those are things I’ve done outside of football. Put my résumé against his résumé – I put it up any time of the day and I think I’ve done well.”

Highlighted claim is false or highly exaggerated as fact-checked here.

Barack Obama résumé:

B.A. Columbia University
President of the Harvard Law Review
Harvard Law School, graduated Magna Cum Laude
Civil rights attorney and community organizer in Chicago
Lecturer at Univ. of Chicago Law School
Senator
President of the United States, 2 terms
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Emmy Winner
Grammy Winner
Oscar Winner
Author
TIME Person of the Year 2X
John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award
Chairman's Award NAACP
Department of Defense Medal for Distinguished Public Service

Herschel Walker résumé:

Graduated High School
Played football for Univ of Geogia, dropped out.
Heisman Trophy
NFL career with Dallas Cowboys
Donald Trump Award for Most Exaggerated or False Claims About Achievements (Pathological Liar or Traumatic Brain Injury Category)
Absent Father Award
Most Secret Children by Multiple Women Award, Honorable Mention
'Good For Me But Not For Thee' Pro-Life Hypocrisy Award,

(Ok, those last four are made up but he could win them if they existed)
Old 5th November 2022, 12:22 AM   #288
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Obama: “Some of you may not remember, but Herschel Walker was a heck of a football player. But here’s the question: does that make him the best person to represent you in the US Senate? Does that make him equipped to weigh in on the critical decisions about our economy and our foreign policy and our future?”

Herschel Walker: "“He forgot to tell people I created one of the largest minority-owned food service companies in the United States of America, so I do sign the front of a check, which he’s probably never done except when he was in the White House.

I created businesses, I sit on a public traded board. So those are things I’ve done outside of football. Put my résumé against his résumé – I put it up any time of the day and I think I’ve done well.”

Barack Obama résumé:

B.A. Columbia University
Lecturer at Univ. of Chicago Law School in US constitutional law
Senator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Emmy Winner
Grammy Winner
Oscar Winner
Author
Chairman's Award NAACP

Herschel Walker résumé:

Graduated High School by playing football, not studying
Played football for Univ of Georgia, dropped out.
Heisman Trophy
NFL career with Dallas Cowboys among others. New Jersey Generals (1983–1985) Dallas Cowboys (1986–1989) Minnesota Vikings (1989–1991) Philadelphia Eagles (1992–1994) New York Giants (1995) Dallas Cowboys (1996–1997)
Donald Trump Award for Most Exaggerated or False Claims About Achievements (Pathological Liar or Traumatic Brain Injury Category)
Absent Father Award
'Good For Me But Not For Thee' Pro-Life Hypocrisy Award
, LOL

My comments.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 02:24 AM   #289
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
My comments.
I partially watched one football game in my life years ago at a Superbowl party. I'd never heard of Walker before this election. I've never understood the idolization of sports figures much less football players.
Old 5th November 2022, 04:59 AM   #290
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

no business

The Daily Beast reported, "Those claims include running the largest minority-owned food company in the United States; owning multiple chicken plants in another state; and starting and owning an upholstery business which was also, apparently, at one point in his telling, the country’s largest minority-owned apparel company...The claims about the upholstery business appear particularly divorced from the truth, as that business, as Walker describes it, doesn’t appear to exist."
Old 5th November 2022, 05:21 AM   #291
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Herschel Walker made every NFL team he played for worse:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...tm_name=iossmf

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 05:32 AM   #292
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Facebook feed today:

4 “agrees” so far.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 12:41 PM   #293
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Facebook feed today:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e3062851f9.jpg

4 “agrees” so far.
Apart from the bad grammar, can't see how that applies to Herschel. He hasn't "turned his life around" to any noticeable degree. So that isn't him - must be someone else. But who is the "Reverend" who is off the rails they are comparing him to? SO many to choose from!
Old 5th November 2022, 02:13 PM   #294
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Apart from the bad grammar, can't see how that applies to Herschel. He hasn't "turned his life around" to any noticeable degree. So that isn't him - must be someone else. But who is the "Reverend" who is off the rails they are comparing him to? SO many to choose from!
I think you're being sarcastic, but just in case you're not, he's referring to Warnock who holds a "Master of Divinity, Master of Philosophy, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees from Union Theological Seminary, a school affiliated with Columbia University". He has also served as the senior pastor in two churches, including MLK's church, Ebenezer Baptist Church, in Atlanta.
Old 5th November 2022, 03:18 PM   #295
Leumas
Philosopher

I think you're being sarcastic, but just in case you're not, he's referring to Warnock who holds a "Master of Divinity, Master of Philosophy, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees from Union Theological Seminary, a school affiliated with Columbia University". He has also served as the senior pastor in two churches, including MLK's church, Ebenezer Baptist Church, in Atlanta.

It is the christian ethos to execrate wisdom and extoll repentant villainy.

Jesus said he rejoices 99 times more for a returned wayward sheep than for 99 who did not stray... and that he would pay the ones who worked all day the same as the ones who came to work in the last hour... and any who refuse those terms will be tortured for eternity... Jesus also thanked his deadbeat sky daddy for choosing the simpletons to reveal his kingdom to and for deceiving the wise.
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 03:21 PM   #296
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

No, not sarcastic. I'm aware of Warner. And he doesn't sound like he is a "fake" pastor who has "not turned his life around" to any great degree. So I thought maybe the FB post is referring to someone else.

Unless, of course, the FB post is a bunch of hooey.
Old 5th November 2022, 08:40 PM   #297
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like Warnock has not had a reason to turn his life around.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 11:08 PM   #298
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Seems like Warnock has not had a reason to turn his life around.

You can bet your last dime that if Warnock had any skeletons...or secret kids...in his closet, the GOP would have found them. The only things they could come up with was Warnock's now ex-wife, then estranged, claiming he ran over her foot. A Walker campaign ad claimed he "hit his wife with his car". However, Politifact fact-checked this:

Quote:
Warnock told police that Ndoye accused him of running over her left foot with his 2014 Tesla while they were arguing in her driveway. Ndoye was reluctant to show her foot to an officer, who wrote in a report: "I did not see any signs that Ms. Ouleye’s foot was ran over." Medical personnel arrived, according to the police report, and were "not able to locate any swelling, redness, or bruising or broken bones on Ms. Ouleye’s left foot."
Walker's campaign ad also claimed that, "He was accused of neglecting his small children and failing to pay court-mandated child care costs".

But Politifact found:

Quote:
This stems from an accusation made by Ndoye about how much time Warnock spent with the couple’s two children.

Walker’s campaign cited an April 2022 story in the Washington Free Beacon, a conservative political news website, about a February 2022 court filing by Ndoye over child custody issues.

Ndoye alleged that Warnock was not adhering to a "parenting time schedule," set in their divorce. She also alleged that Warnock did not reimburse her for child care expenses that she incurred when the children were supposed to be with Warnock but instead were left in the care of others.

On Aug. 19, a judge issued a temporary order on child custody and support, after the couple completed mediation. But that’s filed under seal, so no details are publicly available.
If his ex-wife's bogus claim about running over her foot is anything to go by, I'd say her accusations are highly suspect.
Old 6th November 2022, 12:05 AM   #299
Leumas
Philosopher

You can bet your last dime that if Warnock had any skeletons...or secret kids...in his closet, the GOP would have found them. The only things they could come up with was Warnock's now ex-wife, then estranged, claiming he ran over her foot. A Walker campaign ad claimed he "hit his wife with his car". However, Politifact fact-checked this:

Walker's campaign ad also claimed that, "He was accused of neglecting his small children and failing to pay court-mandated child care costs".

But Politifact found:

If his ex-wife's bogus claim about running over her foot is anything to go by, I'd say her accusations are highly suspect.

But that did not stop YouTube from interminably playing the GOP propaganda ads showing his wife crying and saying he ran her over and a deep voice warning people that if he did this to his family imagine what he would do to yours... and YouTube keeps repeating it all the time with no ability to stop it or shortcircuit it like in other ads.... and that of course along with the other ad accusing him of voting to bankrupt people and take their taxes.
Old 6th November 2022, 01:10 AM   #300
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
But that did not stop YouTube from interminably playing the GOP propaganda ads showing his wife crying and saying he ran her over and a deep voice warning people that if he did this to his family imagine what he would do to yours... and YouTube keeps repeating it all the time with no ability to stop it or shortcircuit it like in other ads.... and that of course along with the other ad accusing him of voting to bankrupt people and take their taxes.
I'm always so glad when the elections are over because those damn ads are over, too. For me, negative attack ads do the opposite to what they're intended to do. The nastier they are, the more I think they reflect badly on whoever is running them. You can't take anything they say as truth because all they do is twist, exaggerate, and downright lie. I really do think campaign ads should be restricted to a maximum of one month before the election.
Old 6th November 2022, 01:41 AM   #301
Leumas
Philosopher

I'm always so glad when the elections are over because those damn ads are over, too. For me, negative attack ads do the opposite to what they're intended to do. The nastier they are, the more I think they reflect badly on whoever is running them. You can't take anything they say as truth because all they do is twist, exaggerate, and downright lie. I really do think campaign ads should be restricted to a maximum of one month before the election.

I think it should be illegal for any politician to spend more on the ads than their total salary in their term.

Think about it... if a politician spends more on their getting elected than they will get back in salary they sure are expecting higher returns on their investment than the legal ones.

Or... they are a puppet bought and paid for.

Last edited by Leumas; 6th November 2022 at 01:42 AM.
Old 6th November 2022, 02:18 AM   #302
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think it should be illegal for any politician to spend more on the ads than their total salary in their term.

Think about it... if a politician spends more on their getting elected than they will get back in salary they sure are expecting higher returns on their investment than the legal ones.

Or... they are a puppet bought and paid for.
I think there should be a set amount of money for campaign ads that they can spend. Elections have turned into months long circuses. The SC decision on Citizens United...a right-wing political organization... was terrible.
Old 6th November 2022, 08:26 AM   #303
mikegriffith1
Critical Thinker

Herschel Walker is a model dad . . . now. It's not either/or. He made mistakes in the past but is now a different person.
Old 6th November 2022, 08:52 AM   #304
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
Herschel Walker is a model dad . . . now. It's not either/or. He made mistakes in the past but is now a different person.

Who is better... a reformed reprobate dimwitted numskull for senator... or an upstanding well educated citizen who did not have to repent a litany of misdeeds???
Old 6th November 2022, 09:50 AM   #305
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

And is now determined to make sure the ways he was able to minimize those mistakes won’t be available to people going forward (I.e. abortions for him, but not for others).

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 10:18 AM   #306
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

At least one of his children doesn’t agree with you.
Old 6th November 2022, 10:21 AM   #307
autumn1971
Illuminator

Not according to his myriad neglected children.

Was it fruit-punch or grape Flav-or-ade you drank?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 01:12 PM   #308
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

two positions that sit uneasily together

On the one hand Mr. Walker has been starting companies and helping out law enforcement in his spare time since retiring from football, according to his accounts. On the other hand (according to the Facebook post), he has turned his life around (without spelling out exactly what this means). There is a bit of tension in these two positions, if not an outright contradiction. A Walker defender might argue that he has turned around his mental health, as opposed to other aspects of his life; I don't think that such an argument would be a strong one. I am not sure when Mr. Walker or his defenders believe that he started to become a model dad.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 6th November 2022 at 01:30 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 01:22 PM   #309
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Barack Obama résumé:

B.A. Columbia University
Lecturer at Univ. of Chicago Law School
Senator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Emmy Winner
Grammy Winner
Oscar Winner
Author
Chairman's Award NAACP

Herschel Walker résumé:

Graduated High School
Played football for Univ of Geogia, dropped out.
Heisman Trophy
NFL career with Dallas Cowboys
Absent Father Award
'Good For Me But Not For Thee' Pro-Life Hypocrisy Award,

The biggest business that Walker was involved in after retiring from the NFL was a fast food franchise which he quickly ran into the ground and which was part of the strategy (of giving franchises to celebrities who didn't know or care about running a restaurant) which lead to the parent company dissolving soon after.
Gulliver Foyle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 01:22 PM   #310
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
On the one hand Mr. Walker has been starting companies and helping out law enforcement in his spare time since retiring from football. On the other hand (according to the Facebook post), he has turned his life around (without spelling out exactly what this means). There is a bit of tension in these two positions, if not an outright contradiction. A Walker defender might argue that he has turned around his mental health, as opposed to other aspects of his life.
He has definitely turned his life around.

He started out as a thick-headed football player with some talent and public notoriety.

He turned into a disgusting and careless lothario, a neglectful father, a mental deficient, a lying turd and a Trump-endorsed political candidate.

That is some turnaround!
Old 6th November 2022, 01:44 PM   #311
trustbutverify
Philosopher

1. What makes you think that?

2. If you had to guess, how many abortion as child support avoidance tactic will "pro-life" Walker ultimately be responsible for?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 04:12 PM   #312
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

If Herschel Walker is a model dad, then I'm the Queen of Sheba.
Gulliver Foyle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 06:31 PM   #313
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

People's ability to delude themselves never ceases to amaze me.
Old 6th November 2022, 06:46 PM   #314
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I am calling ********.

What is your basis for the assertion that he is a "different person" now, to the point where he is even a "model dad"?

Note that "we don't know that he has paid for an abortion recently" does not support any claim that he is now a good dad. And, as others have noted, his own kids dispute the argument that he is a model dad. So there is no reason to believe any of your nonsense.

Oh, by the way, if he is a different person now, does that mean that none of the claims about the "he created businesses" means anything, either, doesn't it?
Old 6th November 2022, 08:48 PM   #315
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
But he is a different person now! He's a bigger creep and ******* than ever!
Old 6th November 2022, 09:16 PM   #316
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Ha! You know what a "model dad" doesn't do? Constantly lie about their past in an effort to secure a job for which they are in no way qualified.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 09:36 PM   #317
Leumas
Philosopher

People's ability to delude themselves never ceases to amaze me.

But I hope not surprise you... no?
Old 7th November 2022, 12:01 AM   #318
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But I hope not surprise you... no?
Since 2015...no. Every time I watch that POS at one of his narcissistic PAY ATTENTION TO ME! cult gatherings and see the morons who cheer his every stupid, lying word, I want to throw up.
Old 7th November 2022, 12:01 AM   #319
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Adolf Hitler ran as a Republican, Mike Griffith would support him.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 07:08 AM   #320
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If Adolf Hitler ran as a Republican, Mike Griffith would support him.
Jesus, if Adolph Hitler ran as the leader of the Nazi party, there are still plenty who would support him....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics