IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 27th August 2022, 01:08 AM   #161
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
We all know this is true, and at least one glaring example of such has already been presented in this thread. 2020 isn't that long ago.
Donald? Donald? Is that you?

"We all know the whole game is rigged.”

“I have not read the Mueller report. I won. No collusion, no obstruction. I won. Everybody knows I won.”

"In other words, I was right and everyone knows it."

“When I say it (coronavirus) was airborne, everybody knew it was airborne."

"I know it. Everybody knows it."
Quote:
But hey, this thread is about how bad conservatives are.
I'm sorry, but you appear to want the "Office of Whining and Victim Mentality". Take a right at the exit, then two doors down on the right.
Quote:
Anything else might be considered a derail. So, I am not going to debate the point with you.
How very convenient for you.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 01:22 AM   #162
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Ah yes...the BLM bogie...
It's their standard go-to even when the data shows 93% of BLM protests were peaceful.

I guess it's the lefties that are threatening to kill FBI agents and election workers. And it's all these lefty militias strutting around with their guns strapped on that we need to fear. Not to mention the lefty white supremacists and lefty antisemites marching through town with their torches chanting "Jews will not replace us".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 02:48 AM   #163
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,658
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's their standard go-to even when the data shows 93% of BLM protests were peaceful.
While 100% of the MAGA stop the Steal rallies in Washington were violent!

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I guess it's the lefties that are threatening to kill FBI agents and election workers. And it's all these lefty militias strutting around with their guns strapped on that we need to fear. Not to mention the lefty white supremacists and lefty antisemites marching through town with their torches chanting "Jews will not replace us".
You do realise that there are soma large number of MAGA morons, even some on this very forum who are convinced that all those white supremacist and antisemitic protests were a false flag operasition by Antifa?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th August 2022 at 02:57 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 02:56 AM   #164
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,658
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yet another claim you fail to provide evidence for.

I suspect this is a reference to the protests a couple of years ago over the murder of George Floyd. Protests that were overwhelmingly peaceful:



https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/dem...r-summer-2020/

Among these agents who instigated the violence was a man "identified as a member of the Hells Angels linked to the Aryan Cowboys, a white supremacist prison and street gang" who " “wanted to sow discord and racial unrest”, and " on 29 May in Detroit, a number of non-residents reportedly traveled to the city to engage in violent behavior during a demonstration, leading to multiple arrests," (Ibid)

Indeed, and in fact the right wing media such as Faux News and News-Hacks overwhelmingly covered the 10% of BLM protests that turned violent, while totally ignoring (and not even covering at all) the overwhelmingly peaceful 90%. This is probably why Ziggurat and Warp 12 think the way they to... they have been force-fed GOP's preferred narrative by their "news" sources and swallowed it whole.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th August 2022 at 03:22 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 03:11 AM   #165
Susheel
Master Poster
 
Susheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,977
Not just them...there is one more, otherwise intelligent poster who decided to imbibe the koolaid and now just indulges in drive-by posting knee-jerk contrarianism to slink away when called out on them. It really made me sad becaus this was an otherwise intelligent poster who contributed a great deal to critical thinking on these forums in the past. Ultimately, drinking liberal tears was more important.
__________________
I've got to get to a library...fast Robert Langdon
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 05:24 AM   #166
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19,022
"Black Men are violent" is a trope that is fundamental to US policing and social policies.

Examples of the contrary cannot be allowed to be disseminated.
__________________
"The only true paradise is paradise lost"
Marcel Proust
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 12:33 PM   #167
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
While 100% of the MAGA stop the Steal rallies in Washington were violent!



You do realise that there are soma large number of MAGA morons, even some on this very forum who are convinced that all those white supremacist and antisemitic protests were a false flag operasition by Antifa?
Delusions and denial run deep in MAGALAND.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 05:35 PM   #168
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,098
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Delusions and denial run deep in MAGALAND.
It's all they have left.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 05:43 PM   #169
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,219
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
We all know this is true, and at least one glaring example of such has already been presented in this thread. 2020 isn't that long ago. But hey, this thread is about how bad conservatives are. Anything else might be considered a derail. So, I am not going to debate the point with you.
Yeah, you really need to stop with this. It isn't working.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2022, 06:47 PM   #170
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,658
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
#128, but yes. Zig is once again being very fast and loose with context to distort the facts he finds inconvenient.
Right out iof the The Fat Orange Turd's playbook!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2022, 07:17 AM   #171
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,277
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
We all know this is true...
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Yeah, you really need to stop with this. It isn't working.
It's a "debate" technique that became popular in recent years, courtesy of the former potus who regularly utters that sort of cringe-worthy nonsense.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 02:20 PM   #172
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 28,121
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...jan-6-violence


Quote:
Document of 23 pages shows the lengths to which the far-right group goes to prepare for potentially violent encounters and exposes the militaristic structure and language it has adopted

Ed Pilkington
Ed Pilkington in New York
@edpilkington
Mon 19 Sep 2022 07.00 BST
The document is so dowdy and formal it resembles the annual minutes of a society of tax accountants. Its index lists sections on “objectives” and “rules of engagement” and carries an “addendum” that provides recommendations for hotels and parking.

On the cover, two words give a clue to the notoriety of the group that produced it: “MAGA” and “WARNING”. That and the date: 5 January 2021, the day before the US Capitol attack.
here rather than the Jan 6th report, as it's wider than just Jan 6th IMO
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 05:39 PM   #173
Pacal
Graduate Poster
 
Pacal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,386
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
From all the evidence he did he knew he lost or he is insane one of the Two there can be no doubt in that. Him winning the election would Violate the Laws of physics, the Claims were that stupid just like his Birther Claims.
Trump's speech is full of plausible deniability. A perfect example of whipping up a crowd to violence in a speech filled with plausible deniability is Mark Anthony's funeral speech in Julius Caesar.

It is obvious to me that he was whipping up the crowd into a rage. And if you want evidence that his speech was calculated plausible deniability Trump's inaction to deal with the riot / insurrection afterwards combined with continued efforts to stop the certification while this mess was going on indicate plausible deniability in abundance. Do we really have to go through all the testimony from people who say they urged Trump to do something and then say he did nothing for hours?
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 06:43 PM   #174
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Trump's speech is full of plausible deniability. A perfect example of whipping up a crowd to violence in a speech filled with plausible deniability is Mark Anthony's funeral speech in Julius Caesar.

It is obvious to me that he was whipping up the crowd into a rage. And if you want evidence that his speech was calculated plausible deniability Trump's inaction to deal with the riot / insurrection afterwards combined with continued efforts to stop the certification while this mess was going on indicate plausible deniability in abundance. Do we really have to go through all the testimony from people who say they urged Trump to do something and then say he did nothing for hours?
Plausible deniability is Trump's strength; he knows his people will understand what he really wants, but it's just within the boundaries so he can claim he never said it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 02:00 PM   #175
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Warp pointed out that a post I made in the "Violence from the Left" thread is also applicable here. Thanks, Warp!

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I really don't think it's a smart idea for our resident right-wingers to start comparing the number of people deliberately murdered for political reasons by the killers' political affiliations/views. One side is going to come off looking much worse than the other according to the ADL:

Quote:
Quote:
New York, NY, February 15, 2022 … Right-wing extremists were linked to at least 26 extremist-related murders in the United States in 2021 and have been responsible for 75 percent of such murders in the last ten years, according to new data from ADL (Anti-Defamation League).
Quote:
Quote:
“This data underscores an indisputable fact: far-right extremists pose the greatest domestic terror threat to the United States,” said ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt.
Eleven congregants killed at attack of synagogue by right-wing exrtemist.

Twenty-three killed in El Paso, TX by right-wing extremist.


Ten killed in Buffalo supermarket attack by right-winger.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 09:33 PM   #176
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,396
Stacyhs has pointed out that we need to crosspost between the right-wing terrorism threads and the left-wing ones, so I will post this here as well:

Quote:
A community is mourning the loss of an 18-year-old man from Grace City, North Dakota, as investigators look into what led up to a deadly crash. Foster County Deputies were called to a hit-and-run that happened in an alleyway near Johnston Street and Jones Avenue in McHenry, ND.

Court documents say at 2:35 Sunday morning, 41-year-old Shannon Brandt called 911 to report that he had hit a pedestrian because he was threatening him. Brandt told State Radio that the pedestrian was part of a Republican extremist group and that he was afraid they were “coming to get him.” The pedestrian has been identified in a GoFundMe page as 18-year-old Cayler Ellingson.

After visiting the scene where the incident happened, deputies went to Brandt’s house in Glenfield, ND, which is about 12 minutes from the crash scene. Brandt admitted to consuming alcohol before the incident, and stated he hit Ellingson with his car because he had a political argument with him. Brandt also admitted to deputies that he initially left the crash scene, then returned to call 911, but left again before deputies could arrive.
Yes, left-wing terrorism but balance as Stacyhs pointed out.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 09:51 PM   #177
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,633
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Suspect Threatens FBI In Cincinnati, Trades Gunfire With Police
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shots...a517ef67b65?wt
The first question that strikes me, is why is it that local police are confronting an assault upon a federal bldg./dept.?
I can see the PR angle, but I'm not sure it outweighs the deterrence of Federal agents defending Federal property/personnel and enforcing Federal statutes when they are under assault by foreign/domestic extremists.

Apologies, I didn't realize the extent of the thread/postings prior to responding to the OP!
__________________
Trakar
"By doubting we come to inquiry, and through inquiry we perceive truth." — Peter Abelard
"My civilization can do anything!" - David Brin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i275AvgVvow)

Last edited by Trakar; 20th September 2022 at 10:18 PM.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:13 PM   #178
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Stacyhs has pointed out that we need to crosspost between the right-wing terrorism threads and the left-wing ones, so I will post this here as well:



Yes, left-wing terrorism but balance as Stacyhs pointed out.
If you'd bothered to read the posts on this since it was first posted a full 12 hours before yours, you'd know that it's not been determined that Brandt is a 'leftie'. His political affiliation/views have not been published. He could be a Dem, an Indie, or even a Republican who got into a drunken argument with someone who was spouting extremist views that he disagrees with. Not all Republicans are extremists. Brandt was admittedly drinking and this could have been alcohol fueled. The only reason people are assuming Brandt is a "leftie" is because he said Ellingson belong to a Republican extremist group. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a "leftie". He may be, but being from N. Dakota, it's very possible he's actually a Republican where only 18% lean Democrat.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 12:52 AM   #179
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,396
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If you'd bothered to read the posts on this since it was first posted a full 12 hours before yours, you'd know that it's not been determined that Brandt is a 'leftie'. His political affiliation/views have not been published. He could be a Dem, an Indie, or even a Republican who got into a drunken argument with someone who was spouting extremist views that he disagrees with. Not all Republicans are extremists. Brandt was admittedly drinking and this could have been alcohol fueled. The only reason people are assuming Brandt is a "leftie" is because he said Ellingson belong to a Republican extremist group. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a "leftie". He may be, but being from N. Dakota, it's very possible he's actually a Republican where only 18% lean Democrat.
Sounds very convincing to me. He might even be a Trump fan himself, right?
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 04:47 AM   #180
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 105,909
Mod WarningWe have two separate threads, "Violence on the Left" and "Right Wing terrorism". Please double check you are posting in the correct thread for the violence you are posting about. So left to left and right to right and never the twain shall meet.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 10:18 AM   #181
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 825
Did violence follow Roe decision? Yes — almost all of it against pro-choice protesters

Quote:
On Friday night, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a man drove his pickup truck into a group of women protesters, hitting several and driving over the ankle of one woman. Iowa journalist Lyz Lenz, who was covering the protest, noted on Twitter that the attack came at the end of a peaceful event, as demonstrators were crossing the road at a crosswalk while the man had a red light. "The truck drove around other cars in order to hit protesters," Lenz wrote, adding that the driver "was screaming" while a woman in the truck with him begged him to stop.

As Andy Campbell and Alanna Vagianos reported at HuffPost, a number of other protesters ran after the truck, trying to stop it, but the driver continued on, knocking over several people. The woman whose ankle was run over was sent to the hospital. As of Saturday, the man had not been charged with any crime.

RELATED: Amid all the gloating, anti-abortion right dreams of bigger wins — and possible violence

That same night, at a pro-choice protest in Providence, Rhode Island, an off-duty police officer named Jeann Lugo — who, until this weekend, was a Republican candidate for state Senate — punched his Democratic opponent, reproductive rights organizer Jennifer Rourke, in the face.

Providence police arrested Lugo and charged him with assault and disorderly conduct, placing him on administrative leave. On Saturday, Lugo dropped out of the Senate race and announced he would not be seeking any political office before apparently deactivating his Twitter account.

In Atlanta, photographer Matthew Pearson documented a group of more than a dozen Proud Boys coming to counterprotest a pro-choice demonstration, while an Atlanta antifascist group posted photos of the group boarding a Humvee painted with the Proud Boys' logo.

In several other states, police responded to demonstrations against the SCOTUS ruling with heavy-handed tactics and violence.

In Greenville, South Carolina, multiple videos seemed to show police arresting and dragging pro-choice protesters away, as others in the crowd screamed at them to stop. In one video, a young woman is violently shoved backward into the street, where she falls and appears to hit her head. When an older woman comes over, apparently to help her, she is also put in handcuffs and taken away.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 10:27 AM   #182
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 825
Sen. Mike Lee Says It’s ‘Overreach’ to Arrest Man Accused of Assaulting Elderly Planned Parenthood Escort

Quote:
SEN. MIKE LEE (R-Utah) accused the Justice Department of “overreach” after federal authorities arrested an anti-abortion protester for allegedly assaulting an elderly Planned Parenthood volunteer twice in one day.

“Just in the last few days we’ve seen some pretty glaring examples of what appear to be instances of overreach,” Lee said of the DOJ in an interview with Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo. After first mentioning a group that was federally subpoenaed regarding its lobbying for an anti-trans health care bill in Alabama, Lee spoke about an anti-abortion protester charged with assaulting a Planned Parenthood volunteer. Lee, however, conveniently didn’t bring up the alleged assault.

“You’ve got a Catholic father of seven who formed a group designed to encourage young men to be faithful to their commitments, arrested in front of his seven children just recently,” Lee said. “You’ve got all these instances of overreach. It’s deeply concerning to us all. These are all things we’re gonna be looking into.”
Quote:
The Catholic father of seven is Mark Houck, and the Department of Justice on Friday charged him with two counts of violating the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE) Act. The DOJ has accused Houck of twice assaulting a 72-year-old volunteer patient escort at the Planned Parenthood Elizabeth Blackwell Health Center in Philadelphia. According to the DOJ indictment obtained by The Daily Beast, the 47-year-old Houck “forcefully shoved B.L. to the ground” and then, in a second altercation the same day, “verbally confronted B.L. and forcefully shoved B.L. to the ground.” Houck did this “because B.L. was a volunteer escort at the reproductive health care clinic,” the indictment said. The second assault caused “injuries to B.L. that required medical attention.”
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 02:26 PM   #183
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Lee is right. You can't even commit a crime these days without being charged with committing a crime! What is this country coming to?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2022, 05:52 PM   #184
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Kyle Young, who attacked Off. Fanone on Jan 6, was sentenced to 96 months in prison by Judge Berman:

Quote:
A Donald Trump fan who took his teenage son along as he assaulted Mike Fanone, then a Washington, D.C., police officer, and another officer at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, was sentenced to more than seven years in prison Tuesday.

Kyle Young, 38 — an HVAC worker from Iowa whose lawyer said he was "injected" with lies about the 2020 election and who had asked his Facebook followers to join him at the “stop the steel,” referring to the "Stop the Steal" rally on Jan. 6 — pleaded guilty in May to a felony count of assaulting, resisting or impeding officers.

Young admitted that he used a strobe light to disorient police, helped throw a large audio speaker at police, grabbed Fanone's wrist when the mob abducted Fanone and made contact with another officer abducted by the mob.

Young's 86-month sentence matched what federal prosecutors sought. They argued that Young took part in the assault at the lower west tunnel of the Capitol, where "some of the most barbaric violence" took place on Jan. 6. As discovered by online sleuths, the government argued that Young handed a Taser to Danny Rodriguez, a MAGA fanatic who used it to electroshock Fanone in the neck on Jan. 6.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2022, 10:46 AM   #185
Allen773
Graduate Poster
 
Allen773's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cali Four Neea
Posts: 1,614
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Imagine if we pursued and publicized these incidents as much as we do foreign terrorists who threaten Americans.
That would require acknowledging the complicity of our own history and culture in producing these “America First” terrorists who attack certain groups of people precisely because they do not not see them as American.

White supremacist terrorism in the US hits too close to home.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2022, 08:48 AM   #186
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 5,197
Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
That would require acknowledging the complicity of our own history and culture in producing these “America First” terrorists who attack certain groups of people precisely because they do not not see them as American.

White supremacist terrorism in the US hits too close to home.
There is also the thorny issue of defining terrorism. It's a useless term that muddies more than it clarifies.

It can be hard to put a finger on it, but it seems like the word "terrorism" is more a propaganda tool than a description. We use it to make the acts of war of an enemy out to be more evil than any act of war we engage in. 9/11 is terrorism. Bombing Iraqi government buildings at the onset of an invasion in order to 'Shock and Awe" was somehow not.

It often gets applied to non-state actors, which is pretty arbitrary before we then have the whole "state sponsored terrorism" concept to toss in there.

Right wing violence is criminal. At some point it ventures into making war on the state. Bringing the idea of "terrorism" into it as if fear is an essential element just muddies things because almost all violence is going to inspire fear.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 07:31 AM   #187
The_Animus
Illuminator
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,313
Nancy Pelosi's husband was attacked at their home.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/28/polit...ack/index.html

And as the midterms approach we've also seen the right with masks and guns out to intimidate voters. Plus increasing deaths threats to all election officials regardless of party when they don't fully jump on board the election conspiracy train.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 08:10 AM   #188
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,991
"dOn't jUmP 2 ConCLSUION!"
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 09:26 AM   #189
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,991
The (as of this post unidentified) suspect was yelling "Where's Nancy?" before attacking Paul Pelosi.

On a completely unrelated note that it is so unreasonable I'm brining up Nancy Pelosi is demonized in every Republican ad currently running on my television with "So and so voted with Nancy Pelosi" a common attack in ads against Democratic candidates.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 09:28 AM   #190
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 5,197
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"dOn't jUmP 2 ConCLSUION!"
Pelosi could get hit by a bolt of lightning and I'd work from the default assumption some right wing loons caused it.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 09:34 AM   #191
crescent
Philosopher
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,214
As others have said - he was looking for Nancy Pelosi.

This was an attempted assassination of the Speaker of the House.

I'm wondering if it deserves its own thread.

Sadly, people are ginning up all sorts of false-flag conspiracies already. Pelosi's house doesn't have federal security unless she's home. The CT nutheads can't grasp that because they have made her out to be the Empress of the New World Order cabal or something like that.

Last edited by crescent; 28th October 2022 at 11:17 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:05 AM   #192
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,421
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I'm wondering if it deserves its own thread.
Oops, I started a new thread. I'll leave it open because I, too, actually think it's worthy of it's own thread.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:06 AM   #193
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,991
I mean they tried to kill her on Jan 6th as well.

I'm so angry at how little this is shocking me.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:07 AM   #194
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 41,991
The assailant tried to tie up Paul and wait for Nancy to get home, per police reports.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:24 AM   #195
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,658
January 6 terrorist Al Head has been sentenced by Federal Judge Amy Berman Jackson to a near maximum 90 Months in prison for his involvement in the insurrection.

https://kesq.com/news/ap-national-ne...han-7-years-2/

“The dark shadow of tyranny unfortunately has not gone away,” Jackson said. “There are people who are still disseminating the lie that the election was stolen. They’re doing it today. And the people who are stoking that anger for their own selfish purposes, they need to think about the havoc they’ve wreaked, the lives they’ve ruined.”

We are starting to see heavier sentences coming, and these last two were for people who pleaded guilty.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:15 AM   #196
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,219
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The (as of this post unidentified) suspect was yelling "Where's Nancy?" before attacking Paul Pelosi.

On a completely unrelated note that it is so unreasonable I'm brining up Nancy Pelosi is demonized in every Republican ad currently running on my television with "So and so voted with Nancy Pelosi" a common attack in ads against Democratic candidates.
As well as 2/3 of the House, but OMG he sided with NANCY!
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:12 PM   #197
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,795
Civil War 2 in the USA come closer to being a reality.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 01:09 PM   #198
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 35,198
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Civil War 2 in the USA come closer to being a reality.
You've only been predicting it for five or six years now.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 01:11 PM   #199
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,918
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
As others have said - he was looking for Nancy Pelosi.

This was an attempted assassination of the Speaker of the House.

I'm wondering if it deserves its own thread.

Sadly, people are ginning up all sorts of false-flag conspiracies already. Pelosi's house doesn't have federal security unless she's home. The CT nutheads can't grasp that because they have made her out to be the Empress of the New World Order cabal or something like that.
So was this MIHOP or LIHOP?


Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 01:17 PM   #200
The_Animus
Illuminator
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,313
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Civil War 2 in the USA come closer to being a reality.
It's already started. Civil War for the US won't be a war in the traditional sense but ongoing terrorism, guerilla attacks, etc from lone individuals and various loosely affiliated groups spurred by the violent rhetoric of their political and cultural leaders. All of this is already taking place and will slowly continue to ramp up.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.