IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2022, 10:43 PM   #1
Warp12
King of Kings

- Your Favorite Republican? -

I know, it is hard to choose just one. My favorite was Ronald Reagan. Perhaps it is because my teens were spent in the 80's. I didn't care much about politics back then, but Reagan brought a sense of optimism, strength, and patriotism that was very refreshing. Especially after well-intentioned, but much-maligned Jimmy Carter. I remember the 80's as a fun and prosperous time...to a large extent because of Reagan and the image of the US he promoted. I respected Bush Sr., but I suppose the time for that platform had moved on.

So, while I know most of you are Dems, is there a Republican that you have ever admired, currently serving or otherwise? I know that is a tough question for some to answer, due to partisanship. But I can honestly say that I admire Obama perhaps above all other Dems in my adult lifetime.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:42 AM   #2
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I know, it is hard to choose just one. My favorite was Ronald Reagan. Perhaps it is because my teens were spent in the 80's. I didn't care much about politics back then, but Reagan brought a sense of optimism, strength, and patriotism that was very refreshing. Especially after well-intentioned, but much-maligned Jimmy Carter. I remember the 80's as a fun and prosperous time...to a large extent because of Reagan and the image of the US he promoted. I respected Bush Sr., but I suppose the time for that platform had moved on.

So, while I know most of you are Dems, is there a Republican that you have ever admired, currently serving or otherwise? I know that is a tough question for some to answer, due to partisanship. But I can honestly say that I admire Obama perhaps above all other Dems in my adult lifetime.
Obama was a good Republican.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:45 AM   #3
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Obama was a good Republican.

Not sure what you mean? I'm referring to members of the Republican party.
Old 16th September 2022, 12:48 AM   #4
Susheel
Master Poster

I mean that most Dems elected to office of President are basically Repub-lite
Old 16th September 2022, 01:02 AM   #5
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Liz Cheney or Adam Kizinger

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:11 AM   #6
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Liz Cheney or Adam Kizinger

What would mark either as your favorite Republican of all time? I should have been more specific, as far as a little supporting explanation would be of interest.

Last edited by Warp12; 16th September 2022 at 01:13 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:15 AM   #7
Lennart Hyland
Muse

What would mark either as your favorite Republican of all time? I should have been more specific, as far as a little supporting explanation would be of interest.
Sorry, I thought it was quite self explanatory

Also I'm fairly new to American politics and therefor I choose two currently serving .

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 01:16 AM   #8
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Sorry, I thought it was quite self explanatory

Also I'm fairly new to American politics and therefor I choose two currently serving .

Fair enough.
Old 16th September 2022, 01:56 AM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

Abraham Lincoln
Old 16th September 2022, 02:02 AM   #10
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Abraham Lincoln
Ditto.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 02:02 AM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

before the failure to support the Impeachment of Trump for Jan 6th, I could have named a few, simply because I thought they actually believed in more than just staying in power.

I might say Romney, simply because he is actually faithful to his own convictions, even if they are pretty bad ones.
Old 16th September 2022, 03:31 AM   #12
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Warp12. He's my absolute FAVOURITE Republican!

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 03:50 AM   #13
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Warp12. He's my absolute FAVOURITE Republican!

Ha. Do you have a favorite Republican politician, past or present? And if so, please elaborate on the reason that individual is your top pick.
Old 16th September 2022, 03:56 AM   #14
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
before the failure to support the Impeachment of Trump for Jan 6th, I could have named a few, simply because I thought they actually believed in more than just staying in power.

I might say Romney, simply because he is actually faithful to his own convictions, even if they are pretty bad ones.

Any favorite from a historical perspective?
Old 16th September 2022, 04:01 AM   #15
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Abraham Lincoln
Was he a Republican? Wow! I don't think that's widely known.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 04:07 AM   #16
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Any favorite from a historical perspective?
No politician ages well.
Old 16th September 2022, 04:07 AM   #17
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Eisenhower.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 04:09 AM   #18
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Eisenhower.

Any particular reason?
Old 16th September 2022, 04:14 AM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I got one:

Smedley Butler
Old 16th September 2022, 04:41 AM   #20
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I have two favorite Republicans:

President Lincoln and President Eisenhower.

It sure is a shame that ever since Eisenhower, all of the Republican presidents (and many of the other national Republican political leaders) have been some horrible product of being very stupid and being very dishonest and being very corrupt and being very self-serving. I have been hoping that the Republican electorate would have learned that basic fact by now, but I am afraid that they have not learned that basic fact.

On 15FEB2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 04:44 AM   #21
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I got one:

Smedley Butler

Quite a fascinating character, with a pretty detailed Wiki.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler
Old 16th September 2022, 05:29 AM   #22
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Eisenhower killed Nazis. Also his platform was very reasonable and not the abject cruelty to poor people that we've seen since Reagan, nor the psychotic right-wing radicalism we've seen since Goldwater.

I would have preferred Ike had stood up to drunk boy McCarthy, done more to support desegregation and Civil Rights, and not made a fool of himself over the U2 program. probably a lot of other things I can't think of right now.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 05:38 AM   #23
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Eisenhower killed Nazis.
Yes, rather than the current trend to embrace them, though as you note, he didn't do much against the Nazi McCarthy.
Old 16th September 2022, 05:42 AM   #24
arayder
Illuminator

Theodore Roosevelt!
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 06:17 AM   #25
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'd vote for Earl Warren.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 06:21 AM   #26
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Eisenhower.
Eisenhower was an alright guy, although he did start the trend of Republicans who, once out of office, find the courage to speak out about systemic problems they actively contributed to up to that point.

Really though, pre-Nixon/Southern Strategy Republicans were a whole different bunch to the traitorous ****weasels we have today. The worst of the Democrats (e.g. Strom Thurmond) crossed over in the sixties because they liked what they saw, and it's been a downhill slide into hateful fascism for them ever since.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 16th September 2022 at 06:22 AM.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 07:46 AM   #27
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

In my lifetime (which started just after Nixon left office), I'd say John McCain. He wasn't perfect*, but he was an honorable man and generally cared more about the country than his party. Of all of US history, I'll hop onto the Abe Lincoln bandwagon, although I feel one could easily argue that was an entirely different Republican party.

* e.g. Sarah Palin
Old 16th September 2022, 08:07 AM   #28
Finster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I have two favorite Republicans:

President Lincoln and President Eisenhower.

It sure is a shame that ever since Eisenhower, all of the Republican presidents (and many of the other national Republican political leaders) have been some horrible product of being very stupid and being very dishonest and being very corrupt and being very self-serving. I have been hoping that the Republican electorate would have learned that basic fact by now, but I am afraid that they have not learned that basic fact.
Agree but the highlighted isn’t really fair – a lot of them know – they just don’t care (or they think those traits are to be admired.)
Old 16th September 2022, 08:19 AM   #29
sackett
Philosopher

Heck, mine is Alan Simpson. There's no 2nd, no 3rd. For genial-sounding vileness and spiteful disdain for the working class, even when he's out of office, he has no peer. His mind is so narrow you couldn't draw a line around it; the best you could do is scribe a thin, greasy brown streak.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 03:36 PM   #30
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
* e.g. Sarah Palin
Yeah, Sarah Palin was the moment that the Republican Party accidentally realized they could weaponize ignorance as though it were a virtue. Until then, they at least tried to pretend to be smart or to care about knowledge. After that it became a sign of being hopelessly out of touch and elite if you knew the capital of France, or read books.
Old 16th September 2022, 06:31 PM   #31
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I know, it is hard to choose just as many as one.
ftfy.

My favorite was Ronald Reagan.
I understand that best thing going for him was that he worked a 40 hour week as POTUS (can't do so much damage if you are sleeping half the time).

He originally campaigned on his economic creds then like all politicians, he turned out to have none after he was elected.
Old 16th September 2022, 07:02 PM   #32
Venom
Philosopher

No favorites, but I find governor Eric Holcolm (IN) a tolerable Republican. Even with Trump's hijack of the Republican party, he's managed to stay a relatively good distance away from MAGA influence. I wouldn't mind lunch with him.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 07:06 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
ftfy.

I understand that best thing going for him was that he worked a 40 hour week as POTUS (can't do so much damage if you are sleeping half the time).

He originally campaigned on his economic creds then like all politicians, he turned out to have none after he was elected.
Yeah, his trickle-down economics plans was a real winner.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 07:13 PM   #34
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yeah, his trickle-down economics plans was a real winner.

Interestingly, historians rank Reagan just above Obama (my favorite Dem), in this C-Span survey:
https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurv.../?page=overall

Last edited by Warp12; 16th September 2022 at 07:15 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 08:54 PM   #35
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

ftfy.

He also was a flamboyantly bold liar, though he did it with such style and smile that he got away with being "inaccurate."

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 09:09 PM   #36
arayder
Illuminator

John McCain too.

I was flying out of D.C. years ago and the terminal I was leaving from had a gate with flights to Arizona.

It was the evening after the end of a congressional session and low and behold John McCain walks up to the gate all by himself with a suit bag over his shoulder.

I wanted to walk up and say howdy, but he looked tired so I didn't bother him. Everybody else did the same.

A good man.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 09:49 PM   #37
Doubt
Philosopher

Reagan was a good salesman and a weak president. Given credit for things others did. This includes Jimmy Carter's defense build up.

He had one seriously great accomplishment, however. That was the intermediate ranged nuclear missile treaty. But again, the way for that was paved by Carter. And Trump trashed the treaty.

Favorite Republican? Lincoln would be a good choice but today's Republican party is not at all the party of Lincoln. If we want to be fair we need to look at post realignment Republicans since that collection of moral weaklings is representative of what the party became. William Milliken. Governor of Michigan from 1969 to 1983. But of course even he was elected originally before realignment. He was what a conservative is supposed to be instead of a regressive. He did not try to take anything backwards. Just wanted a slower rate of change.

A little further back, another Michigan governor was not too bad. Named Romney. George Romney, Mitch's dad. I would take him over Mitch any day. But George was also pre-realignment.
Old 16th September 2022, 10:04 PM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Larry Hogan. He got Maryland through Covid-19. I don't agree with some of his policy decisions but he's not an idiot, has some integrity and certainly not filthy Trumptrash.
Old 16th September 2022, 10:45 PM   #39
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Interestingly, historians rank Reagan just above Obama (my favorite Dem), in this C-Span survey:
https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurv.../?page=overall
In the Presidential Greatness Survey, it's just the opposite.

Reagan did the country no favor when he brought the Religious Right into political prominence and influence.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2022, 10:49 PM   #40
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In the Presidential Greatness Survey, it's just the opposite.

Reagan did the country no favor when he brought the Religious Right into political prominence and influence.
The current student loan crisis also had itss roots in his watch.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics