IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th September 2022, 11:39 PM   #41
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Interestingly, historians rank Reagan just above Obama (my favorite Dem), in this C-Span survey:
https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurv.../?page=overall
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In the Presidential Greatness Survey, it's just the opposite.

Which is perfect. It shows that both are considered to have been equally great Presidents. Two surveys, with overall rankings that could hardly be closer.

Do you have a favorite Republican politician, Stacy?

Last edited by Warp12; 16th September 2022 at 11:42 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 12:01 AM   #42
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Which is perfect. It shows that both are considered to have been equally great Presidents. Two surveys, with overall rankings that could hardly be closer.

"Favorite"? No. I do have some I respect more than others. I don't think I agree with Liz C or Adam Kinzinger on most anything when it comes to politics, but I do respect them for putting country over party and not being cowards like so may GOP politicians. I respected John McCain for his courage and personal ethics. These three stand in sharp contrast to the cowards and idiots that run the GOP these days.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 12:02 AM   #43
Susheel
Master Poster

I know where this thread is going...Revealing it now will probably get me carded.

In fact this post will probably get me carded.
Old 17th September 2022, 12:06 AM   #44
Warp12
King of Kings

"Favorite"? No.

I'm surprised, as you seem to be a bit of a historian on politics. I think we have votes for Republicans going as far back as Lincoln.

Last edited by Warp12; 17th September 2022 at 12:07 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 12:07 AM   #45
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

VOTE 1!
VOTE 2!
VOTE Warp12!
For the bestest Republican there ever was!

He's my FAVE!

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 12:24 AM   #46
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm surprised, as you seem to be a bit of a historian on politics. I think we have votes for Republicans going as far back as Lincoln.
So which Republicans are you talking about? The Republicans of the pre- or post- Civil Rights movement of the 1960's? The name is the same but that's about it. Pre-1960's would be Lincoln. Post 60's...Hillary Clinton who switched from the GOP to the Democrats in 1968.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 12:30 AM   #47
Warp12
King of Kings

So which Republicans are you talking about? The Republicans of the pre- or post- Civil Rights movement of the 1960's? The name is the same but that's about it. Pre-1960's would be Lincoln. Post 60's...Hillary Clinton who switched from the GOP to the Democrats in 1968.

I wasn't specifying a period of time. Just any politician who fell under that political party. The discussion of how the party has changed is relevant, and that might be of interest when looking at the overall votes, here.

I was just looking for the who and why, in a very basic sense.

Last edited by Warp12; 17th September 2022 at 12:32 AM.
Old 17th September 2022, 02:15 AM   #48
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Liz Cheney or Adam Kizinger

I agree 100% - the only two Republicans with the integrity and courage to stand up to The Fat Orange Turd and his sycophants, and to go against the MAGA Moron Wing of their party.

Before that I would have said Dwight D Eisenhower, the most recent Republican president elected to that office, who wasn't..

1. A crook.
2. A lying bastard.
3. The subject of a sexual assault accusation.
4. As dumb as a cinder block.
5. Some or all of the above.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 05:15 AM   #49
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Currently, I'd go with Charlie Baker, Governor of Massachusetts.
Old 17th September 2022, 05:53 AM   #50
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

In the Presidential Greatness Survey, it's just the opposite.
I had to click on that link twice before I figured out what was wrong with it.
Old 17th September 2022, 07:54 AM   #51
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

What would mark either as your favorite Republican of all time? I should have been more specific, as far as a little supporting explanation would be of interest.
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Abraham Lincoln
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Ditto.
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I have two favorite Republicans:

President Lincoln and President Eisenhower.
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Of all of US history, I'll hop onto the Abe Lincoln bandwagon, although I feel one could easily argue that was an entirely different Republican party.
Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Favorite Republican? Lincoln would be a good choice but today's Republican party is not at all the party of Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln gets my vote for favorite Republican of all time.

It is of course ironic that Confederate battle flags have become symbols of the modern Republican party.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 08:48 AM   #52
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My favorite Republican would have to be my grandfather. He was a proper Republican of the late 60s/early 70s: religious himself but never, ever dragging religion into politics. He thought religion is a private thing and it's un-American to try to use it politically. He believed in charity, kindness, optimism, a firm defense without being aggressive, and fair dealing. He was appalled by the rise of the Religious Right and their hijacking the Republican Party, and found the "neo-cons" horrific. He thought the modern party has turned into conmen, charlatans, thieves, and fools. He stopped being active in the party and spent his time working with charities instead. My grandfather was an essentially good man, and those have no place in the modern Republican Party.
Old 17th September 2022, 10:11 AM   #53
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Abe is an easy vote. Ike was alright. Teddy did all sorts of wonderful things and all sorts of terrible things. Reagan was garbage
Old 17th September 2022, 10:25 AM   #54
Thermal
Suspended

Yeah, Ike, McCain, even Nixon did some good (EPA). But my "favorite" would have to be Trump. He ripped off the veneer and showed the World what the Republican Party had descended to.

Eta:, oh, and my former NJ Congressional Representative, the Honorable Frank Lobiondo, ranked as one of the most bipartisan leglators during his tenure. Even former NJ governor Chris Christie loved this state and did right by it, even though I disagreed with fully half of what he did. Lincoln was not a Republican as we mean it today. The OG RINO, if you will.

Last edited by Thermal; 17th September 2022 at 10:45 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2022, 10:28 AM   #55
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Ike gets my vote. He stuck by the failures and teething problems of the Corona program because he wanted hard evidence of Soviet missile and bomber capabilities. Thus he prevented Jack D. Ripper Curtis Lemay from starting WWIII.

I would call Reagan an articulate, affable *******. Affable in the sense I think any kid would have been fortunate to have him for a grandfather. And ******* for supply side economics and his anti-intellectualism. I suffered through 16 years under him, first as governor of California and then as president.
Old 17th September 2022, 10:38 AM   #56
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Richard Lugar and reaching across the aisle

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Liz Cheney or Adam Kizinger
I agree with your choices among those currently serving. Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN) was intelligent and well-read. He worked on reducing the threat of nuclear weapons with Senator Sam Nunn (D-GA). Not the flashiest kind of work, but important. Also, it's a good example of bipartisan cooperation.
Old 17th September 2022, 10:39 AM   #57
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Dan Evans, former governor of my state. He's the kind of Republican it is my natural inclination to be.
Old 17th September 2022, 11:00 AM   #58
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Eisenhower was no Republican as we know them now. Today, he'd be considered a moderate Democrat. He supported infrastructure, especially the building of our highway system, did not tax cut and spend, and supported Social Security. He also supported and signed the 1957 Civil Rights Bill. All good things. But his support of putting "In God We Trust" on our money and replacing "E Pluribus Unum" as our national motto with that phrase are two big negatives imo.
Old 17th September 2022, 11:07 AM   #59
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Eisenhower was no Republican as we know them now.
Neither was Lincoln or, heck, even Reagan. They’d both be RINOs today.
Old 17th September 2022, 11:14 AM   #60
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Curly HauglandWP

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 17th September 2022, 11:23 AM   #61
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Neither was Lincoln or, heck, even Reagan. They’d both be RINOs today.
I throw up a little every time I hear a Republican claim they are the "Party of Lincoln". The GOP of Lincoln's time and the Dems through the early 1960's basically swapped ideologies but retained the names. Today's GOP has no more in common with that of Lincoln's time than The Democratic People's Republic of Korea has with anything democratic or republican.
Old 17th September 2022, 02:05 PM   #62
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Curly HauglandWP
j/k it's this guy

https://twitter.com/plazadistrict/st...64242094559232

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 17th September 2022, 06:41 PM   #63
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Of course if one goes back in history, it's necessary to remember that times and circumstances change. So, for example, I can think of some old time Republicans who were pretty decent in their day, even admirable at times, but like many of their Democratic colleagues of the same period were infected with ideas about race, the role of women, etc. that would not fly today. We should, I think, try to assess their character and integrity as if they had learned a thing or two in the intervening centuries.

With that in mind, I might add William Howard Taft or Calvin Coolidge to the list. Both, if they simply time traveled to today, would be found to hold beliefs not acceptable in today's discourse, but they seem like the kind of people who should be capable of growing with the world. Of course, the kicker to this is that I'm not sure they would be Republicans today, or that the party would have them.

One of my favorite Republicans, whom I've mentioned before, was Lowell Weicker of Connecticut. A moderate R with an apparently fairly open mind, he was notable at the Watergate hearings for his naif but genuine dismay at the activities revealed. But he was, of course, to many of his party even then, a RINO anyway, to the point that his own party endorsed his more conservative Democratic opponent, and he left the party.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 10:20 AM   #64
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I throw up a little every time I hear a Republican claim they are the "Party of Lincoln". The GOP of Lincoln's time and the SOUTHERN Dems through the early 1960's basically swapped ideologies but retained the names. Today's GOP has no more in common with that of Lincoln's time than The Democratic People's Republic of Korea has with anything democratic or republican.
Fixed that for you. And the Republicans have been the party of the rich and big business since at least the late 19th century. That hasn't changed.
Old 18th September 2022, 11:56 AM   #65
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Fixed that for you. And the Republicans have been the party of the rich and big business since at least the late 19th century. That hasn't changed.
While the Southern Democrats resisted civil rights for Black Americans, the Dem and Republican parties changed overall. The Republicans of Lincoln's day favored the expansion of federal government power, especially in the areas of civil rights and social programs, while the Dems opposed it.

But this is really off topic so I won't continue this.
Old 18th September 2022, 12:02 PM   #66
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Dick Lugar had been a republican senator for 32 years before being primaried because he had the temerity of working with Obama.

I didn't agree with him on everything, but the guy was a public servant who took the role of governing seriously.
Old 18th September 2022, 12:45 PM   #67
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

No votes for the Governator?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2022, 04:33 PM   #68
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

The Lugar Center

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Dick Lugar had been a republican senator for 32 years before being primaried because he had the temerity of working with Obama.

I didn't agree with him on everything, but the guy was a public servant who took the role of governing seriously.
He also worked with Sam Nunn. See the link in comment #56. The Lugar Center provides rankings on bipartisan governance.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 18th September 2022 at 04:34 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 06:18 AM   #69
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
He also worked with Sam Nunn. See the link in comment #56. The Lugar Center provides rankings on bipartisan governance.
Whoops, I missed that reference, but, wow, two nominations for Dick Lugar.

But that darn bipartisanship....the GOP couldn't accept it.
Old 19th September 2022, 09:55 AM   #70
plague311
Great minds think...

Stephen Colbert. Not the actual person. The character he played on The Colbert Report.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 10:37 AM   #71
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Stephen Colbert. Not the actual person. The character he played on The Colbert Report.
Old 19th September 2022, 01:27 PM   #72
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I have two favorite Republicans:

President Lincoln and President Eisenhower.

It sure is a shame that ever since Eisenhower, all of the Republican presidents (and many of the other national Republican political leaders) have been some horrible product of being very stupid and being very dishonest and being very corrupt and being very self-serving. I have been hoping that the Republican electorate would have learned that basic fact by now, but I am afraid that they have not learned that basic fact.
I would toss in Teddy Roosevelt as another good republican president.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:28 PM   #73
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Eisenhower killed Nazis. Also his platform was very reasonable and not the abject cruelty to poor people that we've seen since Reagan, nor the psychotic right-wing radicalism we've seen since Goldwater.

I would have preferred Ike had stood up to drunk boy McCarthy, done more to support desegregation and Civil Rights, and not made a fool of himself over the U2 program. probably a lot of other things I can't think of right now.
Operation Wetback is a bit of a black mark against him.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:39 PM   #74
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

A Ford, not a Lincoln

It sure is a shame that ever since Eisenhower, all of the Republican presidents (and many of the other national Republican political leaders) have been some horrible product of being very stupid and being very dishonest and being very corrupt and being very self-serving. I have been hoping that the Republican electorate would have learned that basic fact by now, but I am afraid that they have not learned that basic fact.
I don't recall any scandal involving President Ford. He may not have been brilliant, but he left the country in better shape than he found it.
Old 19th September 2022, 04:09 PM   #75
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to remind people that Lincoln, Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt are all "old school", pre-1960's Republicans.
Old 19th September 2022, 07:30 PM   #76
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I'd like to remind people that Lincoln, Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt are all "old school", pre-1960's Republicans.
That’s why I broke my answer into pre- and post-Southern Strategy selections. I’m not sure there is a pre- Democrat I like, off the top of my head.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:28 AM   #77
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

In words I never thought I'd ever write, I'd at least consider voting for Bush Jr. over some of the possible Democratic contenders in 2024. Whatever his intellectual limitations, he's pretty much color and gender blind compared to most of his fellow GOP, and he's consistently and emphatically has been anti-Trump. And he's a decent human being, something you'd think would be a given but nowadays isn't.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:33 AM   #78
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
In words I never thought I'd ever write, I'd at least consider voting for Bush Jr. over some of the possible Democratic contenders in 2024. Whatever his intellectual limitations, he's pretty much color and gender blind compared to most of his fellow GOP, and he's consistently and emphatically has been anti-Trump. And he's a decent human being, something you'd think would be a given but nowadays isn't.
Did you really mean Democratic here? If so, please give an example of who you think might be running.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 06:43 AM   #79
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Did you really mean Democratic here? If so, please give an example of who you think might be running.
I meant "Democrat," as in the political party, sorry for the confusion.

In all honesty, I'd at least consider voting for W over the likes of Bernie Sanders and AOC.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:46 AM   #80
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
I meant "Democrat," as in the political party, sorry for the confusion.
OK. Your answer was unexpected. Can't pursue this on topic in this thread.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics