IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th September 2022, 11:22 AM   #81
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Rusty Bowers

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
I agree with your choices among those currently serving. Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN) was intelligent and well-read. He worked on reducing the threat of nuclear weapons with Senator Sam Nunn (D-GA). Not the flashiest kind of work, but important. Also, it's a good example of bipartisan cooperation.
Along with the two previously mentioned current GOP members (Kinzinger and Cheney), Rusty Bowers of Arizona has impressed me. He was censured by fellow Arizona Republicans implicitly for appearing before the January 6 committee but also for opposing some laws that govern how elections are administered that are favored by Trump supporters.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 20th September 2022 at 11:25 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 11:29 AM   #82
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I will admit to hearing lots of good things about Muller.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 10:30 PM   #83
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The only thing that made Reagan popular was getting shot.
Without that, he would have been a despised one-term President.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:56 AM   #84
autumn1971
Illuminator

William Jefferson Clinton.
His behavior as a husband was Terrible.
His presidency was a unmitigated success.

He balanced the budget, no, he constructed ( working with Congress) a budget surplus.
Then he saved that surplus to mitigate future needs.

Clinton Out-Reganed Regan.
On social issues he was a reactionary coward.

Perfect Republican.

Except for now, when all republicans are treasonous trash.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 03:14 PM   #85
stanfr
Master Poster

I'm gonna go against the grain and say

Arnold Schwartzenegger

One of a handful Republicans I have voted for, when I lived in CA.

I mean...he's the Gubernator!

He had the populist appeal of a Trump without the mental illness.

While he had his issues in office, he did accomplish a few things including introducing some pivotal legislation in the fight against climate change.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 12:49 PM   #86
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Although I disagree with Cheney's political views, she's becoming something I didn't have before: my favorite Republican. Although the "Republican" part may change:

Quote:
Wyoming GOP Rep. Liz Cheney said at The Texas Tribune festival Saturday that if former President Donald Trump becomes the Republican Party’s nominee for president in 2024, she will not remain a Republican.

“I’m going to make sure Donald Trump, I’m going to do everything I can to make sure he is not the nominee. And if he is the nominee, I won’t be a Republican,” Cheney said.

Cheney also said she will campaign for Democrats to ensure that Republican candidates who promote election lies do not get elected.

Cheney was talking about the Arizona gubernatorial race, and how she will work to ensure that GOP nominee Kari Lake, the former television journalist who has become a leading voice behind Trump’s lies about election fraud, does not get elected.

“I’m going to do everything I can to make sure Kari Lake is not elected,” Cheney said.

When asked if that includes campaigning for Democrats, Cheney said, “Yes.”
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 01:07 PM   #87
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I had forgotten: Lowell Weicker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell_Weicker

Probably the last of the Rockefeller Republicans. Helped investigate Watergate, and survived by sticking to his roots. Was taken down by harder right Republicans who preferred to have the blue dog Democrat Lieberman in his seat.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 01:41 PM   #88
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

Probably the last of the Rockefeller Republicans. Helped investigate Watergate, and survived by sticking to his roots. Was taken down by harder right Republicans who preferred to have the blue dog Democrat Lieberman in his seat.
I mentioned him above, I think. One of the few Republicans I've actually voted for. Lieberman in his earlier career was a popular and effective attorney general, but his hawkish position of foreign affairs, as well as on national security, made him popular with the right.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 02:31 PM   #89
PitPat
Illuminator

Really? No Manchin yet?
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 02:50 PM   #90
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I'm gonna go against the grain and say

Arnold Schwartzenegger

One of a handful Republicans I have voted for, when I lived in CA.

I mean...he's the Gubernator!

He had the populist appeal of a Trump without the mental illness.

While he had his issues in office, he did accomplish a few things including introducing some pivotal legislation in the fight against climate change.
And cheated on his wife by screwing the domestic help, which is completely in line with Trump Republican morals.
Old 25th September 2022, 03:24 PM   #91
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

This would be my answer, too, even if he exists at the periphery of my political memory. My recollection is that Lieberman's campaign against him was also very sleazy, while he generally refused to engage at that level. I vaguely remember a stunt where Lieberman took a drug test in order to make a campaign issue out of the fact that Weicker hadn't. Can't find any corroboration of that now, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Recently I talked to my father about his impressions of politics when we moved to this god-forsoaken country in 1976. He was impressed, at the time, by the degree to which politics were about the character of the candidate, rather than which political party they belonged to, which was a contrast to politics in Australia at the time. Might have been a fluke of the post-Watergate era, but it's hard to imagine anyone getting that impression today.

Somewhat surprised to learn he's still alive. Weicker, I mean, not my father. He's also still alive, but that's not terribly surprising.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2022, 11:17 PM   #92
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And cheated on his wife by screwing the domestic help, which is completely in line with Trump Republican morals.
And had a child with her.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2022, 08:26 AM   #93
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The only thing that made Reagan popular was getting shot.
Without that, he would have been a despised one-term President.
Eh. "Morning in America" was one of the most effective propaganda campaigns of all time and Mondale was about as uninspiring a figure as we've ever seen in presidential politics.

xxxx

There are some Republicans in local politics I quite like and would probably support against most democrats, but they are all in more executive/judicial positions. I don't see GOP state legislators as individual actors having free will as much as ALEC pod people.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2022, 12:29 PM   #94
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Kevin McDugle

At the New York Intelligencer Lara Bazelon wrote about the political cost of criminal justice reform, "[Kevin] McDugle remains defiant. “I don’t care,” he tells me. “I can’t stand the fact that there are innocent people on death row or doing life in prison — a good percentage of them.” In his improbable turn toward criminal-justice reform, McDugle sees that hand of God. “My purpose for getting elected is this very thing,” he says. “If it costs me my career, so be it.”"

Mr. McDugle, a state representative in Oklahoma, is attempting to save the life of death row inmate Richard Glossip and has vowed to word toward ending the death penalty if Mr. Glossip is executed. Good on him.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 13th November 2022 at 12:32 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2022, 07:13 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
At the New York Intelligencer Lara Bazelon wrote about the political cost of criminal justice reform, "[Kevin] McDugle remains defiant. I dont care, he tells me. I cant stand the fact that there are innocent people on death row or doing life in prison a good percentage of them. In his improbable turn toward criminal-justice reform, McDugle sees that hand of God. My purpose for getting elected is this very thing, he says. If it costs me my career, so be it."

Mr. McDugle, a state representative in Oklahoma, is attempting to save the life of death row inmate Richard Glossip and has vowed to word toward ending the death penalty if Mr. Glossip is executed. Good on him.

Some people deserve the death penalty, but that is overridden by the fact that innocent people have been executed. Wrongful executions can only happen if there is a death penalty, period.
Old 14th November 2022, 08:53 AM   #96
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

criminal justice reform and partisan politics

Mr. McDugle's actions (and those of Michelle Malkin) illustrate that criminal justice reform should not be a partisan issue. One more point. I once heard words to the effect that 90% of being a good politician is finding out where the people want to go and leading them there. Implicit in this statement is that sometimes being a good political leader means opposing conventional wisdom, even if it damages one's career.
Old 14th November 2022, 10:07 AM   #97
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Another case where the SC could fix the worst abuses of the system - but Scalia has made clear that just being innocent is no good reason not to be executed.
Old 14th November 2022, 10:16 AM   #98
Lothian
should be banned

It would be one of the dead ones. Perhaps all the dead ones.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 10:18 AM   #99
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My new favorite Republican is Donald Trump, because as Lindsey Graham predicted, he may yet destroy the party.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics