IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Democrat lessons for losing '22 midterms?
Far left social agendas suck! 7 41.18%
Stick to populist economics. 3 17.65%
Abortion, abortion, abortion!!! 7 41.18%
Blue lives do actually matter. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th November 2022, 10:21 AM   #361
Donal
Philosopher

I can also imagine some Republicans like Keane will be willing to work with Democrats on some issues like infrastructure.
Old 11th November 2022, 10:23 AM   #362
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I too am hoping (again HOPING not certain) that as the cult of Trump loosens a little bit we will see more moderate/sane Republicans both A) start to exist again and B) be willing to cross the aisle at least some of the time.
Old 11th November 2022, 10:48 AM   #363
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I agree that the new business model of opposing everything the Dems do and then take full credit for it when they succeed anyway might become SOP for Republicans.
Old 11th November 2022, 01:18 PM   #364
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It is possible that the Democrats could hold the house, but it won't be easy. It seems to come down to flipping 5 seats which presently have Republicans leading.

Democrats still have a path to keep the House — but it’s tough

Of the 35 so far undecided seats, 24 races are led by Democrats and 11 by Republicans. So holding the house depends on holding the leading in those 24 races, and flipping at least 5 of the 11 Republican leads. This sounds unlikely, but most of the uncounted ballots are early voting ballots, which tend to skew Democrat.

Here's the prospects according to Vox in those 11 races:

My fantasy: The House is split 217-217 with a recount pending in Lauren Boebert's district, and she loses the recount by a handful of votes, so she ends up losing the House for the Republicans.
Quote:
There are about a dozen uncalled House contests where Republicans currently lead, so for a majority, Democrats would need to win five of those. And their hopes overwhelmingly hinge on whether slow tallies of mail-in ballots could shift outcomes in their favor.

Their best shot may be in Maryland’s Sixth District, where Rep. David Trone (D) currently trails. This race seems likely to flip in Trone’s favor since many mail-in ballots in deep blue Montgomery County remain to be counted.
CNN has now called this race for Trone, so only four to go.
Old 12th November 2022, 07:56 PM   #365
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
BLM riots, calls to defund the police, cashless bail followed by massive surge in crime, transgender bathrooms and athletes, have truly ****** the Dems.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 07:57 PM   #366
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The reason the GOP is going to win big tomorrow is because we already have a rather impressive case of buyer's remorse.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 08:01 PM   #367
johnny karate

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The main reason the Dems are in such trouble can be summed up in one word:Inflation.
That is what is killing the Democrats. WHen there are economic woes, the party in power always take the heat.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 12th November 2022, 08:06 PM   #368
johnny karate

Oh boy, the Hot Take Clown Car in this thread is absolutely packed full.
Old 12th November 2022, 08:08 PM   #369
Tero
Master Poster

What lost? We will gain a senate seat. No more pleasing Manchin and Sinema both.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2022, 08:16 PM   #370
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
What lost? We will gain a senate seat. No more pleasing Manchin and Sinema both.
We MIGHT gain a seat. The Georgia election is still up for grabs, we could be back at 50/50 with a VP Tiebreaker again.
Old 12th November 2022, 08:20 PM   #371
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean I guess asking if there's a way to get Florida back is at least worth taking some smart people and putting them in a room and brainstorming ideas about. It's really the only traditional "swing state" that the Dems seem to have (largely) like actually lost outside the margin of errors the last few election cycles.

Getting the Florida Latino vote back is at least worth putting effort into.
Old 13th November 2022, 09:34 AM   #372
johnny karate

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I mean I guess asking if there's a way to get Florida back is at least worth taking some smart people and putting them in a room and brainstorming ideas about. It's really the only traditional "swing state" that the Dems seem to have (largely) like actually lost outside the margin of errors the last few election cycles.

Getting the Florida Latino vote back is at least worth putting effort into.
The success that Republicans had in Florida is in large part due to how agrresively DeSantis gerrymandered that state. If Republican end up taking the House, it will be because of the four-seat swing in Florida.

Democrats can discuss policy and outreach all they want, but it won't do much in good the face if Republican cheating.
Old 13th November 2022, 10:21 PM   #373
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The success that Republicans had in Florida is in large part due to how agrresively DeSantis gerrymandered that state. If Republican end up taking the House, it will be because of the four-seat swing in Florida.

Democrats can discuss policy and outreach all they want, but it won't do much in good the face if Republican cheating.
<TheUsualSuspect>"But...but...it's all perfectly constitutional"</TheUsualSuspect> ... or something similar. Unvoiced bit is of course "only when we do it."
Old 14th November 2022, 05:44 AM   #374
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Incase anyone was wondering, I am RELIEVED there was no Red Wave.

The red trickle has made Trump look like a major liability, and I'm loving it.
Sorry, but I find your posting of yours is quite difficult for me to believe.

On 15FEB2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 14th November 2022 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Syntax correction
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 06:32 AM   #375
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's hilarious watching the people who are suddenly "The Right? Never cared for them. Ignore the fact that I was totally simping for them a week ago."
Old 14th November 2022, 07:01 AM   #376
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Sorry, but I find your posting of yours is quite difficult for me to believe.
That's ok, I understand.

I was very mad at the Dems for ignoring and disregarding very legitimate concerns about crime, but I'm still glad there was no Red Wave because I agree with the Dems more than I disagree with them.

BTW, Felony Assaults in NYC are at their highest since 2001. Not very smart to ignore such a thing or make believe such a thing should not matter, and those who care about it are foolish or brainwashed. It does matter.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 07:39 AM   #377
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

That's ok, I understand.

I was very mad at the Dems for ignoring and disregarding very legitimate concerns about crime, but I'm still glad there was no Red Wave because I agree with the Dems more than I disagree with them.

BTW, Felony Assaults in NYC are at their highest since 2001. Not very smart to ignore such a thing or make believe such a thing should not matter, and those who care about it are foolish or brainwashed. It does matter.
I highlighted the completely bogus Republican propaganda that, while it obviously swayed you, was rejected by the vast majority of voters.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 07:46 AM   #378
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Feels like the time to post this again.

Old 14th November 2022, 07:47 AM   #379
johnny karate

I’d love to see a source for this claim that also provides overall crime rates in New York and compares them to other parts of the country.

Will one be forthcoming?
Old 14th November 2022, 08:13 AM   #380
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Republicans always claim to be against crime. But at the same time they disdain and scorn urban voters, denigrating them for their very existence. The constantly cry about how cities are the pure source of all crime and how if they were in charge it would not be a problem at all. Yet their own meth-soaked districts are higher in crime by population and they never have any real solutions for the problem besides letting cops kill and abuse minorities.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 08:19 AM   #381
ahhell
Illuminator

Feels like the time to post this again.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=13232
I don't think this shows what you think it does. Sure, start a graph at the historic high, point to the place that is relatively low but also showing an upward trend and act like it proves the thing in question rising is totally made up and random?
Start the graph in 1960, 70, 2010 and it would look a bit different.

Last edited by ahhell; 14th November 2022 at 08:21 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 08:21 AM   #382
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Republicans always claim to be against crime
Except school shootings. And police brutality. And storming the Capital. And sex with 14 year olds. And anything Trump does.
Old 14th November 2022, 08:22 AM   #383
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Yah know maybe I don't ******* care because that's not the point I was making and you know it.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th November 2022 at 08:26 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 08:57 AM   #384
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I don't think this shows what you think it does. Sure, start a graph at the historic high, point to the place that is relatively low but also showing an upward trend and act like it proves the thing in question rising is totally made up and random?
COMPSTAT wasn't rolled out until the 1990s, so getting data from 1960 for it would be a little difficult. also, what was considered a crime and how it was reported has differed greatly over the years. You also have the implementation of "broken window theory" which goosed a lot of those numbers in the 90s.

Violent crime rates are still trending downward, especially in major cities. The bump can be explained by COVID making everything that leads to crime redline all at once.
Old 14th November 2022, 09:00 AM   #385
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Quote:
I’d love to see a source for this claim that also provides overall crime rates in New York and compares them to other parts of the country.

Will one be forthcoming?
You can find crime statistics on the New York city web site here at NYC.gov

It is true that Felony assaults are approaching the level that they were in 2021. However, the previous poster ignores the fact that:

- Those figures are still very low from an historical perspective (e.g. even at their current 'elevated' levels, they are still at ~1/2 the level as they were in the early 90s (As other people suggested)

- While felony assaults may be elevated SLIGHTLY, most other forms of crime are still low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nyc_crime.jpg (50.7 KB, 14 views)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 11:00 AM   #386
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

That's ok, I understand.

Well now, ...

Considering that Republicans only care about crime when it is useful to them as an election issue, then if you were actually so very concerned about crime, then you should really focus you ire and distrust at Republicans.

After all, the Republicans have not cared about the numerous crimes that were committed by Trump or his lackeys.

The Republicans have not cared about the January 6 insurrection.

The Republicans have not cared about the attack on Paul Pelosi.

And so on.

On 15FEB2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 11:16 AM   #387
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again you have to understand to Republicans "crime" isn't an action you commit, it's a demographic you are part of.

The Republican fear mongering about "crime" makes perfect sense is that (sad) context.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th November 2022 at 11:18 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 11:16 AM   #388
plague311
Great minds think...

Well now, ...

Considering that Republicans only care about crime when it is useful to them as an election issue, then if you were actually so very concerned about crime, then you should really focus you ire and distrust at Republicans.

After all, the Republicans have not cared about the numerous crimes that were committed by Trump or his lackeys.

And so on.
They also never seem to be able to point to a policy, law or protocol that they want to implement, that the Dems are denying them, that would help fix whatever crime boogieman they've made.

If they provided anything more than fearmongering then maybe they'd have a point, but saying, "the dems don't focus on crime, so I favor the GOP" makes absolutely no sense. I said it before and I'll say it again, crime is not better in GOP states. Every state run by the GOP has their fair share of crime on the same level, if not more so, than Dem states.

That's why I found Hercules complaints about crime to be hollow. The GOP has done everything they can to block mental health care, getting social workers to answer mental health calls, community based policing, etc. They're helping make this problem and are shocked that it's now a problem.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 14th November 2022 at 11:17 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 12:18 PM   #389
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
You can find crime statistics on the New York city web site here at NYC.gov

It is true that Felony assaults are approaching the level that they were in 2021. However, the previous poster ignores the fact that:

- Those figures are still very low from an historical perspective (e.g. even at their current 'elevated' levels, they are still at ~1/2 the level as they were in the early 90s (As other people suggested)

- While felony assaults may be elevated SLIGHTLY, most other forms of crime are still low.
Felony assaults in NYC are at their highest since 2001.

That aint no chump change.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 12:21 PM   #390
Hercules56
Master Poster

Well now, ...

And so on.
While I take the sedition that took place on 1/6 very seriously and am glad many folks are facing charges for their crimes against the Republic, these crimes are not the ones that threaten your average American on a day to day basis.

Theft, assault, murder ARE. And some Democratic candidates argued during this election cycle that the issue of crime was being exaggerated and overblown by the GOP, and there is no rational or logical reason to be concerned about the uptick in crime. Basically "if you are concerned by the increase in crime you are a brainwashed moron".
Old 14th November 2022, 12:33 PM   #391
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Felony assaults in NYC are at their highest since 2001.

That aint no chump change.
Felony assaults in raw numbers are slightly higher than they've been for a decade, you say? Like, in a city with a (rising) population of well north of 8,000,000 people, they had a slight uptick of about 2,000 felony assaults? By definition that's chump change.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 12:36 PM   #392
johnny karate

While I take the sedition that took place on 1/6 very seriously and am glad many folks are facing charges for their crimes against the Republic, these crimes are not the ones that threaten your average American on a day to day basis.

Theft, assault, murder ARE. And some Democratic candidates argued during this election cycle that the issue of crime was being exaggerated and overblown by the GOP, and there is no rational or logical reason to be concerned about the uptick in crime. Basically "if you are concerned by the increase in crime you are a brainwashed moron".
It's weird that you keep pushing failed Republican election talking points as if it's somehow a convincing argument.
Old 14th November 2022, 12:36 PM   #393
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Basically "if you are concerned by the increase in crime you are a brainwashed moron".
This has been explained to you enough times it's dishonest to keep phrasing it this way.

There has not been an uptick in crime statistically significant enough to magically start pretending to worry about during an election cycle.

You're lying when you make a link between any real world uptick in crime and phrasing it as an excuse to vote Republican.

Do not pretend this hasn't been explained to you again. It's rude.
Old 14th November 2022, 12:39 PM   #394
plague311
Great minds think...

Theft, assault, murder ARE. And some Democratic candidates argued during this election cycle that the issue of crime was being exaggerated and overblown by the GOP,
Because it is.

and there is no rational or logical reason to be concerned about the uptick in crime.
Do you have a link or something to a Democrat saying this? That's not to even mention that you make it sound like it was a Democrat campaign strategy. I'm just curious which, of the many Democrats, were making the "don't be concerned" argument that you're attributing to them.

Basically "if you are concerned by the increase in crime you are a brainwashed moron".
Strawman would be entirely too lenient of a term for this. Again, provide anything at all that shows any actual Democrat campaigning on this, or even making the claim. I'm pretty interested now.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 14th November 2022 at 12:40 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 12:40 PM   #395
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Strawman would be entirely too lenient of a term for this.
Old 14th November 2022, 12:43 PM   #396
plague311
Great minds think...

Even that seems to be a bit small. What I don't understand is if you want to coddle or support the GOP just do it. You don't have to make up these bull **** talking points and pretend like the Dems are supporting it. If liking the GOP shoes are your style, lace those bitches up and wear 'em.
Old 14th November 2022, 12:44 PM   #397
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again "LOL I'm totally not a Conservative" has been part of their playbook for a while.
Old 14th November 2022, 01:23 PM   #398
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Even that seems to be a bit small. What I don't understand is if you want to coddle or support the GOP just do it. You don't have to make up these bull **** talking points and pretend like the Dems are supporting it. If liking the GOP shoes are your style, lace those bitches up and wear 'em.
The phrase is "concern trolling." People are more receptive to criticism if it comes from a trusted source, and are more trusting with members of their own in-group. So you pretend to be in that group but you just have some concerns.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2022, 01:34 PM   #399
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The phrase is "concern trolling." People are more receptive to criticism if it comes from a trusted source, and are more trusting with members of their own in-group. So you pretend to be in that group but you just have some concerns.
It's an offshoot of anti-vaxxer logic, just with taking a longer route to get there.

"If we take option A there's a 99% chance of success. If we take option B there's a 1% chance of success."
"I think we should take option B."
"Why? Option A is clearly better."
"SHOW ME WHERE I SAID IT WASN'T! I'm just saying I'm worried about that 1%. Are you denying that 1%?"

And it lines up well with the "You aren't 100% perfect and flawless in everyway, ergo you are literally forbidden from criticizing me about anything."

And the "Well I wasn't going to support the party that doesn't storm the Capital when they lose an election, deny science and reality, and fight against human rights... but then I read a thinkpiece online about a liberal who said we needed a gender neutral Mr. Potato head so know... well my hands are tied I have no choice but to become a Nazi. It's all their fault really."

Again all variations on the same basic theme.
Old 14th November 2022, 03:42 PM   #400
Venom
Philosopher

You're being too hard on him. I think this is just a standard neocon/neoliberal attitude. The kind that thinks both sides have become too intolerant, rails against political correctness, but when push comes to shove votes Democrat.

Most of the Never-Trump Republicans are like this, as well as most of the oldschool neolib Dems in their 70s today.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics