IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th October 2022, 10:04 AM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Intruder enters and attacks Pelosi's Husband

I can't imagine what kind of sick bastard would break into someone's house and beat up an 82 year old man, with a hammer, but that's the world we live in.

Quote:
An intruder broke into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco home early Friday morning and "violently assaulted" her husband, Paul Pelosi, according to a statement from Drew Hammill, the speaker's spokesperson.

A source briefed on the attack tells NPR the assailant was searching for Speaker Pelosi, and confronted her husband, shouting, "Where is Nancy, where is Nancy?"

"Mr. Pelosi was taken to the hospital, where he is receiving excellent medical care and is expected to make a full recovery," the statement from Speaker Pelosi's office read. Link
The police\authorities say the motive isn't clear, but I'm going to say it's pretty clear what the motive was. When these mouth breathing dip ***** broke into the Capitol the first person they were looking for was Pelosi. She has to be extremely afraid at this point in time, so these dumb bitches are achieving their goal, at least. I'm assuming that's one of the motivations.

Sounds like he'll make a full recovery. Hopefully the guy spends the next few decades of his life in prison.

*Note: I picked US politics because of who it was, if it should be somewhere else feel free to move it*
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:24 AM   #2
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This happened in the early hours this morning, about eight hours ago, 2:30 am local time. CNN reports:

Quote:
The man who assaulted Paul Pelosi, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, tried to tie him up “until Nancy got home,” according to two sources familiar with the situation. When the police arrived at the residence, the attacker said he was “waiting for Nancy.” CNN report link
Not explained (yet) but apparently police were notified of the assault and arrived while the suspect was still in the house. A suspect is in custody but has not yet been identified. Very troubling.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:27 AM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This happened in the early hours this morning, about eight hours ago, 2:30 am local time. CNN reports:

Not explained (yet) but apparently police were notified of the assault and arrived while the suspect was still in the house. A suspect is in custody but has not yet been identified. Very troubling.
In the Right Wing terrorism thread (a little overlap here), it was also said that the assailant tried to tie him up and wait for Nancy to get back. I'm a bit shocked that their house wasn't more secure as far as security systems go. The Pelosi's aren't broke so it's a bit surprising that they don't have security guards or at least a rover either.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:36 AM   #4
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they couldn't bring themselves to believe just how violent the Trumpublican cult has become. I would think Jan 6th would've led them to increase security measures in their private lives.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:37 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously an Antifa false flag, according to someone who'll be here any minute now.
Old 28th October 2022, 10:38 AM   #6
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
In the Right Wing terrorism thread (a little overlap here), it was also said that the assailant tried to tie him up and wait for Nancy to get back. I'm a bit shocked that their house wasn't more secure as far as security systems go. The Pelosi's aren't broke so it's a bit surprising that they don't have security guards or at least a rover either.
Nancy Pelosi has a secret service detail - but they travel with her and are not at her house when she's not there.

And to get this out of the way: Paul Pelosi got a DUI a while back. Got a couple of days in jail, an interlock ignition breathalizer thing on his car, mandated drunk driver classes and three years probation. And all that is completely irrelevant to this attack.

Paul Pelosi was not the target. The assailant made it very clear that he was looking for NANCY Pelosi.

I bring this up because I'm already seeing people claiming that Paul must have been the real target because of his recent legal travails. Deflection again.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 10:42 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Facts don't matter.
Old 28th October 2022, 10:48 AM   #8
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Everybody, I have shocking news....

The suspect is a 42 year old white man with Right Wing views, including that the election was stolen, vaccine denial, and I'm sure is super angry that he has to press 1 to hear stuff in English.

I AM SIMPLY SHOCKED! Shocked to my very core!

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...ack/index.html

Quote:
David DePape, 42, was identified by police Friday as the suspect in the assault on Paul Pelosi at the speaker’s San Francisco home.

Last year, David DePape posted links on his Facebook page to multiple videos produced by My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell falsely alleging that the 2020 election was stolen. Other posts included transphobic images and linked to websites claiming Covid-19 vaccines were deadly. “The death rates being promoted are what ever ‘THEY’ want to be promoted as the death rate,” one post read.

DePape also posted links to YouTube videos with titles like “Democrat FARCE Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol Riot COLLAPSES in Congress!!!” and “Global Elites Plan To Take Control Of YOUR Money! (Revealed)”

Two days after former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of killing George Floyd, DePape wrote that the trial was “a modern lynching,” falsely indicating that Floyd died of a drug overdose.

He also posted content about the “Great Reset” – the sprawling conspiracy theory that global elites are using coronavirus to usher in a new world order in which they gain more power and oppress the masses. And he complained that politicians making promises to try to win votes “are offering you bribes in exchange for your further enslavement.”
Old 28th October 2022, 10:54 AM   #9
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Quelle Suprise,

Welp, might as well see how they are gonna try and claim he's a glowie patsy deepfake crisis actor.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:01 AM   #10
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

At a guess, maybe the Pelosi residence did have some sort of silent alarm that prompted police to come when no one had called them yet?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:11 AM   #11
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

I bring this up because I'm already seeing people claiming that Paul must have been the real target because of his recent legal travails. Deflection again.
That takes some incredible mental gymnastics to believe, but nothing surprises me anymore, which is kind of sad.
Old 28th October 2022, 11:11 AM   #12
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Everybody, I have shocking news....

The suspect is a 42 year old white man with Right Wing views, including that the election was stolen, vaccine denial, and I'm sure is super angry that he has to press 1 to hear stuff in English.

I AM SIMPLY SHOCKED! Shocked to my very core!

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...ack/index.html
[Trumpublican]This guy is just a mentally ill, fringe element. Also, Nancy deserves all the violence that comes to her....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:14 AM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The important thing is that nobody is peacefully protesting outside of Rape, Handmaiden, and I haven't thought of a mean nickname for Thomas yet's houses.
Old 28th October 2022, 11:30 AM   #14
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

The important thing is that nobody is peacefully protesting outside of Rape, Handmaiden, and I haven't thought of a mean nickname for Thomas yet's houses.
Uncle Tom-ass?
Old 28th October 2022, 11:38 AM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There was a time when this would ha ve brought universal condkemantion from Politicians of all stripes, now, if the assailaint was indeed a right winger excuxes will be made.
It I were a Democratic member of congress at the least I would give serious consideration to buying a gun;it's going t ocome down to that.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:47 AM   #16
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

More details emerging. The suspect, David DePape, seems to have a history of mental illness. He assaulted Mr. Pelosi in front of the cops!
Quote:
San Francisco police witnessed Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and an intruder struggling over a hammer before he was attacked Friday, officials said. Responding to an emergency call at the couple’s home around 2:27 a.m. local time (5:27 a.m. ET), officers saw the attacker and Pelosi both holding the hammer when they entered the room, San Francisco Police Chief William Scott said in a news conference.

“The suspect pulled the hammer away from Mr. Pelosi and violently assaulted him with it,” Scott said. “Our officers immediately tackled the suspect, disarmed him, took him into custody, requested emergency backup and rendered medical aid.” Both men were taken to a hospital, Scott said. He did not provide further details on their injuries. The chief praised the officers who took down the intruder and an emergency dispatcher who sent them to the Pelosis’ home. CNN updates link

Last edited by newyorkguy; 28th October 2022 at 11:48 AM.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:47 AM   #17
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Nancy Pelosi has a secret service detail - but they travel with her and are not at her house when she's not there.
A small nit: The federal government has a lot of police agencies. Pelosi and other senior lawmakers are protected by the U.S. Capitol Police, not the SS. You might recall the great job they didn't do on Jan. 6.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:51 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Republicans will do the same thing the Religious people do.

"Oh he actually acted like someone who believed the absolute nonsense would act? Well then obviously he doesn't count as a member of our tribe."
Old 28th October 2022, 11:55 AM   #19
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
At a guess, maybe the Pelosi residence did have some sort of silent alarm that prompted police to come when no one had called them yet?
I'm sure they have some sort of security, but it doesn't seem like it was too great if this guy was able to get in. Door\window sensors, gates, etc are pretty common place even in North Dakota. Maybe I'm wrong and this guy scaled a gate, snuck in through a window, or something. I haven't seen details on that but I feel like this guy got in without a whole lot of resistance.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There was a time when this would ha ve brought universal condkemantion from Politicians of all stripes, now, if the assailaint was indeed a right winger excuxes will be made.
It I were a Democratic member of congress at the least I would give serious consideration to buying a gun;it's going t ocome down to that.
Would a gun have made a difference in this case? It doesn't sound like it would have deterred this guy too much, as he was a man on a mission. I don't know that an 82 year old man would have been a great shot.

The chicken little'ing aside, the Pelosi's should definitely up their security.
Old 28th October 2022, 11:59 AM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

From the reports Paul wasn't handling himself half bad for an 82 year taking on a guy half his age.
Old 28th October 2022, 11:59 AM   #21
Venom
Philosopher

Rightwing media groomed these terrorists.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:00 PM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Yeah literally everyone knows. 40% of us just don't care so deny reality.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:06 PM   #23
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Regarding the security issue, I have read interviews with people like the Pelosi's and they often they say, despite the risks, they want to try and continue to live as normally as possible. I completely understand their feelings and suspect I'd feel the same way they do if I were in their place. But then something happens and they have to reevaluate. Thank goodness Mr. Pelosi will still be around to take part in that process. I can only imagine how troubling this incident must be for the family.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:07 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure they have some sort of security, but it doesn't seem like it was too great if this guy was able to get in. Door\window sensors, gates, etc are pretty common place even in North Dakota. Maybe I'm wrong and this guy scaled a gate, snuck in through a window, or something. I haven't seen details on that but I feel like this guy got in without a whole lot of resistance.

Would a gun have made a difference in this case? It doesn't sound like it would have deterred this guy too much, as he was a man on a mission. I don't know that an 82 year old man would have been a great shot.

The chicken little'ing aside, the Pelosi's should definitely up their security.

Us chicken littlers have been proven more correct about what is happening inthis country then the nothing to see here crowd.
And keep on ignoring reality because it clashes with your ideology...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:09 PM   #25
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

From the reports Paul wasn't handling himself half bad for an 82 year taking on a guy half his age.
Tru dat.

And dat. They are running out of fig leaves to hide behind. These guys are actively violent against a lawful Representative of the US citizenry. How much longer cam a pretense of them not being active, aggressive insurgents can they hold on to?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:09 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Regarding the security issue, I have read interviews with people like the Pelosi's and they often they say, despite the risks, they want to try and continue to live as normally as possible. I completely understand their feelings and suspect I'd feel the same way they do if I were in their place. But then something happens and they have to reevaluate. Thank goodness Mr. Pelosi will still be around to take part in that process. I can only imagine how troubling this incident must be for the family.
I think it was a case no one was expecting an attack on Paul Pelosi.
But no doubt we will have conspiracy theorist say the cops were somehow "in on it",

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:11 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The GOP Is staying silent on this.
Just a few years ago, they would already have condemend the attack.
Don't tell me violence is not b eing normalized in US Poitics, and we are not on the road to another Civil War.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:13 PM   #28
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
[Trumpublican]This guy is just a mentally ill, fringe element. Also, Nancy deserves all the violence that comes to her....
This kind of right-wing violence is just an 'outlier'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:15 PM   #29
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Don't tell me violence is not b eing normalized in US Poitics, and we are not on the road to another Civil War.
I think that if the spouse of a GOP congressperson were attacked, Democratic Party leaders would immediately condemn it and offer their sympathies.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:16 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely...and it all goes back to one man: Donald John Trump. And now that Elon Musk has bought Twitter, he'll probably be able to spew his crap through that again.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:17 PM   #31
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Hey, remember that one time a Republican was shot at a baseball game?

- Every Republican in America right now.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:17 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Us chicken littlers have been proven more correct about what is happening inthis country then the nothing to see here crowd.
And keep on ignoring reality because it clashes with your ideology...
Sorry, but the answer to gun violence is not more guns.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:20 PM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

OT, but I'd say a mass bitch slapping is surely in the pipeline, but that most cowards put their tails between their legs when things get real. The FBI or US Marines knocking on their doors for a chat about their political expression will out the majority as pure posing cowards, I expect. No civil war, but a vigorous housecleaning.

Old 28th October 2022, 12:21 PM   #34
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Latest TV report says the guy broke through a back window, and Pelosi himself called 911. No window bars, no alarm? The average suburban condo probably has better security.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:21 PM   #35
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I dunno. Depends on who's got them.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:23 PM   #36
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I think it was a case no one was expecting an attack on Paul Pelosi.
It's still her home. It's hard to believe it doesn't have better security.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:25 PM   #37
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

At close range you don't have to be Wyatt Earp. And, say, a shotgun against a hammer? I suspect the guy would have sat down and waited for the cops, no shots fired.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:26 PM   #38
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's still her home. It's hard to believe it doesn't have better security.
I think it speaks to her admirable optimism, true faith in the goodness of people, and poor objectivity.

Old 28th October 2022, 12:27 PM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If Nancy Pelosi lived in a high security house the Republicans would bitch that she lived in a fortress and was out of touch with the common person and blah blah blah.

Can't win, can't lose, can't break even, can't quit the game.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:27 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Depends on cricumstances.
Sorry, but I am a firm bleliever in the right to defend yourself. You can't alway s wait for the police to show up.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics