IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:29 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's still her home. It's hard to believe it doesn't have better security.
It'sin a very wealthy part of San Francisco.You simply don't expect home invasions there,and I suspect it is pretty well patrolled by the SFPD.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:30 PM   #42
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The GOP Is staying silent on this.
Just a few years ago, they would already have condemend the attack.
Don't tell me violence is not b eing normalized in US Poitics, and we are not on the road to another Civil War.
McConnel and a few others have put out statements condemning the attack and hoping for a quick recovery. I don't know if the party as a whole has done so, but at least a few prominent ones have.

Of course some of those condemning the attack will have been the same ones who made veiled threats or weak incitement, and they'll go back to doing that again in a few weeks. Frequent self-contradiction is common in extremists and cults.

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
More details emerging. The suspect, David DePape, seems to have a history of mental illness.
Drug addiction and homelessness as well.

Last edited by crescent; 28th October 2022 at 12:34 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:30 PM   #43
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Don't tell me violence is not b eing normalized in US Poitics, and we are not on the road to another Civil War.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think that if the spouse of a GOP congressperson were attacked, Democratic Party leaders would immediately condemn it and offer their sympathies.
They are not staying silent and the GOP Congressmembers are condemning it.

McConnell: ""Horrified and disgusted by the reports that Paul Pelosi was assaulted in his and Speaker Pelosi's home last night. Grateful to hear that Paul is on track to make a full recovery and that law enforcement including our stellar Capitol Police are on the case."

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa): “I wish Mr Pelosi well & pray for a quick recovery Everyone deserves 2b respected & violence is never okay.”

Sen. Ted Cruz: " “What happened to Paul Pelosi last night is horrific. We can have our political differences, but violence is always wrong & unacceptable.”
(Except, of course, on Jan. 6 where they were just "peaceful protesters")

Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb): "We pray for a speedy recovery for Mr. Pelosi, and want the violent criminal held accountable and put behind bars."

Of course, POS Rand Paul couldn't just condemn it and be the bigger person, he had to get a dig in:
“No one deserves to be assaulted. Unlike Nancy Pelosi’s daughter who celebrated my assault, I condemn this attack and wish Mr. Pelosi a speedy recovery,”
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:32 PM   #44
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If Nancy Pelosi lived in a high security house the Republicans would bitch that she lived in a fortress and was out of touch with the common person and blah blah blah.

Can't win, can't lose, can't break even, can't quit the game.

Not would - did. Sort of. They had the wrong house.

Is This a Wall Around Nancy Pelosi’s Home?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:33 PM   #45
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't give a **** if they condemn it they don't change anything or do anything different about it tomorrow.

Words are worse than cheap. Hell with Republicans it's almost insulting at this point.

**** them if they "care" but only in a way that doesn't matter or make a difference.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:33 PM   #46
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It'sin a very wealthy part of San Francisco.You simply don't expect home invasions there,and I suspect it is pretty well patrolled by the SFPD.
Except she's a public figure and third in line to the Presidency. Not the average tech guru.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:34 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Depends on cricumstances.
Sorry, but I am a firm bleliever in the right to defend yourself. You can't alway s wait for the police to show up.
I didn't say people don't have a right to defend themselves, which they do, of course. But I'm a firm believer that the answer to a gun problem is not more guns. But I'll not continue this derail as I've stated my opinion.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:38 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Not would - did. Sort of. They had the wrong house.

Is This a Wall Around Nancy Pelosi’s Home?
That's my house, dammit!
Old 28th October 2022, 12:39 PM   #49
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by azazal View Post
Uncle Tom-ass?
I think of him as the long dong of the law.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 01:09 PM   #50
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Tocker Carlson will probably turn it into speculation that it was a gay love tryst gone bad.
Old 28th October 2022, 01:10 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They are not staying silent and the GOP Congressmembers are condemning it.

McConnell: ""Horrified and disgusted by the reports that Paul Pelosi was assaulted in his and Speaker Pelosi's home last night. Grateful to hear that Paul is on track to make a full recovery and that law enforcement including our stellar Capitol Police are on the case."

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa): “I wish Mr Pelosi well & pray for a quick recovery Everyone deserves 2b respected & violence is never okay.”

Sen. Ted Cruz: " “What happened to Paul Pelosi last night is horrific. We can have our political differences, but violence is always wrong & unacceptable.”
(Except, of course, on Jan. 6 where they were just "peaceful protesters")

Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb): "We pray for a speedy recovery for Mr. Pelosi, and want the violent criminal held accountable and put behind bars."

Of course, POS Rand Paul couldn't just condemn it and be the bigger person, he had to get a dig in:
“No one deserves to be assaulted. Unlike Nancy Pelosi’s daughter who celebrated my assault, I condemn this attack and wish Mr. Pelosi a speedy recovery,”
But except for maybe Cruz, those are all "Establishement" GOP figures.
I am not seeing much response from the Trumpsters.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 01:11 PM   #52
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Tocker Carlson will probably turn it into speculation that it was a gay love tryst gone bad.
I can just see Carlson saying: "After all it is San Francisco".
Carlson is humen slime.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 01:14 PM   #53
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Latest TV report says the guy broke through a back window, and Pelosi himself called 911. No window bars, no alarm? The average suburban condo probably has better security.
We don't know that there wasn't an alarm system. If there is, it may not have been turned on which is common. Lots of people only turn them on when they leave the house. But bars on the windows? That's not something you see in neighborhoods with multi-million dollar homes. Nothing says "high crime area" like bars a windows.
Old 28th October 2022, 01:15 PM   #54
plague311
Great minds think...

Us chicken littlers have been proven more correct about what is happening inthis country then the nothing to see here crowd.
No, you haven't been and this is a false dichotomy. There is a massive gray area between chicken little'ing and saying "there's nothing to see here". Miles of gray area.

And keep on ignoring reality because it clashes with your ideology...
LoL whatever.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 01:20 PM   #55
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But except for maybe Cruz, those are all "Establishement" GOP figures.
I am not seeing much response from the Trumpsters.
Your post:

Quote:
. Are you now saying "the GOP" you referred to weren't GOP politicians, but Trumpsters? If so, you should have clarified it.

Just as I never said no one had the right to defend themselves, I also never said or intimated that "violence is not being normalized in US politics". Of course it is.
Old 28th October 2022, 01:21 PM   #56
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

. Are you now saying "the GOP" you referred to weren't GOP politicians, but Trumpsters? If so, you should have clarified it.
What's the difference?
Old 28th October 2022, 01:26 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

In another display of lack of class from a GOP politician, Gov. Youngkin (R-VA) just said in a rally about the attack on Paul Pelosi: "There's no room for violence anywhere, but we're gonna send her back to be with him in California."

The woman's 82 yr-old husband had to undergo head surgery due to being attacked with a hammer by a deranged man who was spurred on by the GOP election fraud lies and he uses it to get a dig in at a rally? What a jerk.
Old 28th October 2022, 01:43 PM   #58
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Republicans will do the same thing the Religious people do.

"Oh he actually acted like someone who believed the absolute nonsense would act? Well then obviously he doesn't count as a member of our tribe."
Except when they do. Expect this guy to be a guest of honor a the next CPAC and have EmptyG serenade him.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 01:50 PM   #59
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Except when they do. Expect this guy to be a guest of honor a the next CPAC and have EmptyG serenade him.
Nah...he was an Antifa plant.

Old 28th October 2022, 02:03 PM   #60
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

We don't know that there wasn't an alarm system. If there is, it may not have been turned on which is common. Lots of people only turn them on when they leave the house. But bars on the windows? That's not something you see in neighborhoods with multi-million dollar homes. Nothing says "high crime area" like bars a windows.
I note again that she is third in line to the Presidency. Her home is not the typical residence. Even when she's not there, her family could be a target. Bars on the ground-floor rear windows wouldn't be visible from the street, and even anti-shatter film on the glass might have stopped this guy. And a properly designed and installed alarm system protects the doors and windows even when the interior sensors are turned off.

The guy could have been killed. This is serious business.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 02:27 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

In another display of lack of class from a GOP politician, Gov. Youngkin (R-VA) just said in a rally about the attack on Paul Pelosi: "There's no room for violence anywhere, but we're gonna send her back to be with him in California."

The woman's 82 yr-old husband had to undergo head surgery due to being attacked with a hammer by a deranged man who was spurred on by the GOP election fraud lies and he uses it to get a dig in at a rally? What a jerk.
Youngkin is why I am reluctant to vote for any Republican no matter how much he claims to be a moderate and how much I might dislike the Democratic candidate.; Youngkin sold a lot of voters a bill of goods by posing as a moderate.
That is another reason I hate Trumpism is has forced me to pretty much go all in in supporting Democrats; somehting I hate since there are a lot of Democratic candidates I don't really like very much.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 02:31 PM   #62
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

More details emerging. The suspect, David DePape, seems to have a history of mental illness. He assaulted Mr. Pelosi in front of the cops!
A bog standard republican then.
Old 28th October 2022, 02:35 PM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I note again that she is third in line to the Presidency. Her home is not the typical residence. Even when she's not there, her family could be a target. Bars on the ground-floor rear windows wouldn't be visible from the street, and even anti-shatter film on the glass might have stopped this guy. And a properly designed and installed alarm system protects the doors and windows even when the interior sensors are turned off.

It is very serious business. More serious then a lot of people here think.
Once again the house is in Pacific Heights, one of the most desierable neighborhoods In San Francisco. You just don't expect this kind of thing to take place theie.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 02:35 PM   #64
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nancy has security when she is there.

"Bars on the ground-floor rear windows wouldn't be visible from the street"

So someone would go in by a second story window or side window, etc.

"and even anti-shatter film on the glass might have stopped this guy."

So he jimmies or kicks down a door.

"And a properly designed and installed alarm system protects the doors and windows even when the interior sensors are turned off"

Like I said, they may have a system but a lot of people only turn them on when they leave the house. Sorry...but putting bars on the windows is overreaction.
Old 28th October 2022, 02:41 PM   #65
plague311
Great minds think...

I don't think anyone has said there wasn't a security system, but why have one if it's not going to be on at 2:30 in the morning? That's the exact time it SHOULD be on. I'm not trying to victim blame here but...

^ that. Nancy could have been killed, for that matter. I don't give a **** how it looks, lol. I mean, not to be rude but that would be a weak ass reason not to defend the house of the individual that's 3rd in line for the POTUS.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 02:42 PM   #66
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

There were cameras outside the Pelosi house installed by the Capitol Police.

Quote:
The Capitol Police, which are part of the investigation along with the FBI and San Francisco police, have obtained video from the attack showing the alleged assailant, DePape, breaking into Pelosi’s house with a hammer, according to sources familiar with the situation.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...ulted-00063965

One person who has not spoken out about this is Trump or his family. We're all shocked by that, aren't we?
Old 28th October 2022, 02:43 PM   #67
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"And a properly designed and installed alarm system protects the doors and windows even when the interior sensors are turned off"

Like I said, they may have a system but a lot of people only turn them on when they leave the house. Sorry...but putting bars on the windows is overreaction.
I think that is the key. No one expected an attack on her SF residence while she was away.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 02:44 PM   #68
plague311
Great minds think...

Sure, sure. It almost cost him his life. I would say that's an extremely normal reaction, actually.

I don't care how "desirable" the neighborhood is, or how high class, or any of that. This exact situation is a prime example that all of that means exactly **** all to someone getting into your house and killing your loved ones. If it's more important to have a pretty house without bars then, here you go. You got it. Luckily he wasn't slaughtered with a hammer. I'm sure his dead body would really accent the hardwood floors?
Old 28th October 2022, 02:48 PM   #69
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Nah...he was an Antifa plant.

He'll be both depending on the convenience.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 02:51 PM   #70
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Sure, sure. It almost cost him his life. I would say that's an extremely normal reaction, actually.

I don't care how "desirable" the neighborhood is, or how high class, or any of that. This exact situation is a prime example that all of that means exactly **** all to someone getting into your house and killing your loved ones. If it's more important to have a pretty house without bars then, here you go. You got it. Luckily he wasn't slaughtered with a hammer. I'm sure his dead body would really accent the hardwood floors?
Can we *not* victim blame here?

Old 28th October 2022, 02:53 PM   #71
Garrison
Philosopher

It's really easy for the Republicans to rile people up and then express their horror when people actually take their nonsense seriously.
Old 28th October 2022, 02:57 PM   #72
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Can we *not* victim blame here?
No one is blaming him for not doing x, y, and z. I'm displaying shock that there wasn't more to their security. Nothing more, nothing less. No one deserves to be assaulted and the victim is certainly not to blame, but right wing terrorism, attacks, etc. have been prevalent more and more. The right has made Pelosi enemy #2 or 3 for awhile.

But if people see it as victim blaming, then they see it as victim blaming. Neat.
Old 28th October 2022, 03:16 PM   #73
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I get all that. No place is impregnable. People have actually broken into the White House itself. The goal is to slow down an intruder long enough to call the cops, maybe grab a weapon and maybe get to a safe room. And even when an alarm system is turned off, it usually has panic buttons that can be activated immediately. Once again, the guy could have been killed.
Old 28th October 2022, 05:33 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Bars at the windows in Pacific Heights?
That makes about as much sense as Bars In the Windows in Beverly Hills.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 05:35 PM   #75
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the attacker did not even know where Nancy Pelosi was...brilliant guy.
The Jackal in "Day Of The Jackal" he isn't. Now there was an assasin who knew hat he was doing...and came so close to suceeding.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 06:25 PM   #76
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

New details on how police were summoned to the Pelosi house. Paul Pelosi apparently came in contact with the intruder, David DePape, after DePape had already gotten into the house. Apparently at first there was a low-key confrontation as Pelosi tried to talk to DePape but Pelosi also surreptitiously dialed 911 on his cell phone. No one was on the line when the 911 operator answered but the operator could hear voices in the background. The operator intuited something "was not right." She traced the call and a patrol car responded. The officers were able to gain entry to the house. They were approaching Pelosis and DePape when DePape wrestled the hammer away from Pelosi and began striking him. CNN's John Miller --he's unique for having careers in both network news and law enforcement -- says the assault was captured on the officers' body cams and will undoubtedly be introduced into evidence if and when DePape goes to trial. He may be found unfit to stand trial due to mental illness. Link to CNN John Miller report

By the way, I found interesting the fact, DePape lived in a self-storage unit for a while. That beats sleeping on the sidewalk but not by much! And he's originally from Canada.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 28th October 2022 at 06:35 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 06:42 PM   #77
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

New details on how police were summoned to the Pelosi house. Paul Pelosi apparently came in contact with the intruder, David DePape, after DePape had already gotten into the house. Apparently at first there was a low-key confrontation as Pelosi tried to talk to DePape but Pelosi also surreptitiously dialed 911 on his cell phone. No one was on the line when the 911 operator answered but the operator could hear voices in the background. The operator intuited something "was not right." She traced the call and a patrol car responded. The officers were able to gain entry to the house. They were approaching Pelosis and DePape when DePape wrestled the hammer away from Pelosi and began striking him. CNN's John Miller --he's unique for having careers in both network news and law enforcement -- says the assault was captured on the officers' body cams and will undoubtedly be introduced into evidence if and when DePape goes to trial. He may be found unfit to stand trial due to mental illness. Link to CNN John Miller report

By the way, I found interesting the fact, DePape lived in a self-storage unit for a while. That beats sleeping on the sidewalk but not by much! And he's originally from Canada.
Everything was fine until Canada came along......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 28th October 2022, 06:48 PM   #78
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

CNN reported:
Quote:
His stepfather, Gene DePape, said David DePape grew up in Powell River, British Columbia, and left Canada about 20 years ago to pursue a relationship that brought him to California.
David DePape is 42-years-old.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 06:54 PM   #79
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So your go-to fix it is for every politician who has received threats to put bars on their windows, anti-shatter film on the glass, etc? Do you know how many politicians have received threats in the last few years? Pelosi has been Speaker or the top Dem since 2007 and this is the first time her house was invaded by a nut job.
Old 28th October 2022, 07:01 PM   #80
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No one is blaming him for not doing x, y, and z. I'm displaying shock that there wasn't more to their security. Nothing more, nothing less. No one deserves to be assaulted and the victim is certainly not to blame, but right wing terrorism, attacks, etc. have been prevalent more and more. The right has made Pelosi enemy #2 or 3 for awhile.

But if people see it as victim blaming, then they see it as victim blaming. Neat.
No, you're not just "displaying shock that there wasn't more to their security." You're criticizing them for not putting ******* BARS on their windows like they live in a drug-ridden, high crime area.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics