IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st November 2022, 08:52 AM   #281
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I like how quickly this thread has gone from Obvious MAGA to crazy person to let's talk about home security.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
False dichotomy - he could be both.
Yeah, but he's not.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
How do you know he's not?

From Politico:

Sounds pretty MAGA to me.

Obvious MAGA is obvious, so I assume theprestige is saying David Wayne DePape is not crazy.

theprestige might have a point. To someone as MAGA as David Wayne DePape, trying to kidnap Nancy Pelosi and saying you'd like to break "her kneecaps" must seem like perfectly normal behavior.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 08:56 AM   #282
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I remember being pissed at McCain when he said he was drawing Social Security, while still serving as a Senator and being married to the freaking heiress to the Anheuser-Busch fortune. He didn't need to pump a floundering system for some extra cash, entitled to it or not.
Cindy McCain's father owned the Budweiser distribution rights in Arizona, which made him a very wealthy man but not quite that wealthy.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 09:03 AM   #283
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Cindy McCain's father owned the Budweiser distribution rights in Arizona, which made him a very wealthy man but not quite that wealthy.
Youre right, thanks for the correction.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 09:12 AM   #284
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I remember being pissed at McCain when he said he was drawing Social Security, while still serving as a Senator and being married to the freaking heiress to the Anheuser-Busch fortune. He didn't need to pump a floundering system for some extra cash, entitled to it or not.
The Social Security scheme has two basic components: Taking money away from you now, and giving money back to you later. Anybody who has been forced to pay into the scheme should absolutely insist on getting their promised payouts, regardless of their financial situation. If McCain (or Ayn Rand, for that matter) would rather opt out, then they should be repaid all of the Social Security deductions that were imposed on them over the years. With interest.

Last edited by theprestige; 1st November 2022 at 09:14 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 09:20 AM   #285
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
Obvious MAGA is obvious, so I assume theprestige is saying David Wayne DePape is not crazy.

theprestige might have a point. To someone as MAGA as David Wayne DePape, trying to kidnap Nancy Pelosi and saying you'd like to break "her kneecaps" must seem like perfectly normal behavior.
We do know that wanting to do her physical harm is part of the "MAGA" culture - as evidenced by those attacking the Capital Building 6th January. So unless theprestige holds that those folk were mentally ill they can't conclude DePape is mentally ill just because he 1) he broke into a residence and 2) wanted to physically harm Pelosi. theprestige must be using something else to conclude he is mentally ill and whilst he shared the same goals as expounded by those attacking 6th January he isn't part of that culture.
Old 1st November 2022, 09:26 AM   #286
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
One can say it would have been a good idea to have better security but that's still not the same as saying that the action of a madman is the fault of anyone but himself.*snip the rest*
Good, cause no one is ******* saying that, for like the millionth time. Of course it's the madman's fault, no one is blaming Paul. I can't imagine why anyone would.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 1st November 2022 at 09:30 AM.
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 09:42 AM   #287
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
We do know that wanting to do her physical harm is part of the "MAGA" culture - as evidenced by those attacking the Capital Building 6th January. So unless theprestige holds that those folk were mentally ill they can't conclude DePape is mentally ill just because he 1) he broke into a residence and 2) wanted to physically harm Pelosi. theprestige must be using something else to conclude he is mentally ill and whilst he shared the same goals as expounded by those attacking 6th January he isn't part of that culture.
I too wonder where the notion that DePape is mentally ill has arisen.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 09:50 AM   #288
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Therefore the violent, republican rhetoric is ok and played no part in this person's beliefs in the CT's that the republican, right-wing media spreads.

Oh, and from the article you linked "So yes, for now, neither Republicans nor Democrats really have to take responsibility for his actions and they can pass all of this off as lunatic behavior — except for the fact that hundreds of people chanted "Where's Nancy?" at the Capitol, and right-wing media (and social media) have vilified Pelosi relentlessly for over a decade, creating bait for the unhinged."
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 1st November 2022 at 09:52 AM.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 10:00 AM   #289
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Therefore the violent, republican rhetoric is ok and played no part in this person's beliefs in the CT's that the republican, right-wing media spreads.

Oh, and from the article you linked "So yes, for now, neither Republicans nor Democrats really have to take responsibility for his actions and they can pass all of this off as lunatic behavior — except for the fact that hundreds of people chanted "Where's Nancy?" at the Capitol, and right-wing media (and social media) have vilified Pelosi relentlessly for over a decade, creating bait for the unhinged."
That's always the schtick when a right-winger does something like this. "It's not that he's right-wing, he's crazy. It's not our fault he's crazy, and therefore there was nothing we could do, or can do, or will do, to prevent this in the future. Also, he's a left-wing plant."
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 10:00 AM   #290
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
A quick listen to a few talk radio stations on the way in to work this morning, a quick look at twitter: The Conservative talk-o-sphere and social media thing is in full CT/Denial mode on this. At least as big as the upcoming election.

Also, they don't know much about breaking windows. They were hitting really hard on the broken glass being outside, not inside. Despite their love for YouTube videos to explain all their idiot theories, they can't seem to bother to even use the platform to look up video of people breaking windows.

Hint: much, or even most of the broken glass ends up outside, either from a bit of rebound by the remaining unbroken glass, or from outer pane glass bouncing off the inner pane, or pulled out with the tool.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
”Back, and to the left.”
Old 1st November 2022, 10:14 AM   #291
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

(edited: sorry, wrong thread)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 1st November 2022 at 10:15 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 10:14 AM   #292
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Not sure what point of mine you were making a comment on?
Old 1st November 2022, 12:27 PM   #293
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

theprestige suggested that the alleged perp, who is obviously MAGA, is not both MAGA and crazy, from which it follows that theprestige is suggesting the perp is not crazy. Which means theprestige disagrees with the perp's ex-girlfriend's belief that the perp is mentally ill.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 12:40 PM   #294
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

theprestige suggested that the alleged perp, who is obviously MAGA, is not both MAGA and crazy, from which it follows that theprestige is suggesting the perp is not crazy. Which means theprestige disagrees with the perp's ex-girlfriend's belief that the perp is mentally ill.
Your logic chain is missing a link where highlighted. Don't rely on it to do any heavy lifting.
Old 1st November 2022, 12:51 PM   #295
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Your logic chain is missing a link where highlighted. Don't rely on it to do any heavy lifting.
Swallowing MAGA conspiracy theories and promoting them himself doesn't make DePape MAGA? Or...despite DePape actively promoting MAGA/QAnon conspiracy theory nonsense and acting on that MAGA/QAnon CT nonsense, the fact that years ago before whatever mental breakdown his ex claims happened DePape wasn't MAGA means he can't be MAGA now?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 12:56 PM   #296
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
WTF is wrong with Don Jr?

Well, how long have you got?

There is probably a lot wrong, but proximally "Obvious MAGA" and heavy cocaine abuse.
The nut didn't fall far from the nutsack. Donnie Jr. obviously has severe Daddy issues. I've never seen a grown man so desperately needy for Daddy's approval as Junior. Even his choice of a girlfriend is weird; Guilfoyle, 53, looks a lot like step-mom Melania, 52.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 01:06 PM   #297
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Politico reported: “The Left is going crazy because not only are we not BUYING the wacky, implausible Paul Pelosi story but we are even LAUGHING over how ridiculous it is,” Dinesh D’Souza posted Sunday morning to his 2.5 million Twitter followers. “What this means is that we are no longer intimidated by their fake pieties. Their control over us has finally been broken.”

I found another tweet: "Paul Pelosi KNEW his attacker and NAMED him in his 911 call. Media accounts are suppressing this key fact. Listen to the call and you can verify it for yourself. We are not—I repeat not—getting the full story on this."

Something may indeed be broken, but I don't think it has much to do with fake pieties.
Believing the most outrageous conspiracy nonsense seems to be a Trump supporter requirement. Either they are nuts and/or idiots who do believe them or they are liars who push them anyway for their own selfish agendas. Either way, it's not good.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 01:10 PM   #298
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Politico reported: “The Left is going crazy because not only are we not BUYING the wacky, implausible Paul Pelosi story but we are even LAUGHING over how ridiculous it is,” Dinesh D’Souza posted Sunday morning to his 2.5 million Twitter followers. “What this means is that we are no longer intimidated by their fake pieties. Their control over us has finally been broken.”

I found another tweet: "Paul Pelosi KNEW his attacker and NAMED him in his 911 call. Media accounts are suppressing this key fact. Listen to the call and you can verify it for yourself. We are not—I repeat not—getting the full story on this."

Something may indeed be broken, but I don't think it has much to do with fake pieties.
It's just another step in the right wing normalizing violence. The next market full of brown people being shot will get more of a similar treatment. The right wing will not police itself, will not pull back, and hardly any of them will feel any responsibility at all for not even trying to slow it down. After all, 'both sides' or whatever their ego soothing phrase is.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 01:27 PM   #299
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Man, reading this thread I'm surprised anyone takes any security measures. Why are we even paying them for it? The people here are all but saying it's ******* useless. I can't imagine why the taxpayers are footing the bill.
Hmmm..........I haven't said any such thing and I don't think anyone else has either.

Quote:
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. The false equivalencies are off the ******* charts. Saying to get some simple home security measures is "turning into Fort Knox" lol.
No one has said that.

Quote:
I take it no one here has a security system, deadbolts, locks their doors or anything? Right? After all, you guys don't live in FORT KNOX or anything like that!

******* mind blowing.
If that had actually been said, it would be '******* mind blowing'. But it hasn't. You seem to have difficulty understand the difference between pointing out that none is fool proof and not doing anything.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st November 2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 1st November 2022, 01:45 PM   #300
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
We are also not given details about security systems since we probably don’t want others to know. That the patio door had safety glass is already a lot of info given away.
Not really. Doors are required to have safety glass in CA.
Quote:
The California building code requires the use of safety glazing or safety plate glass in areas subject to human impact. For example, windows placed within 2 feet of doors and where the bottom edge of the window is less than 60 inches above the walkway. Storm doors, exit and entrance doors also need safety plate glass installed.
Back in the late 60's, my SIL was roughhousing with her brothers and ran into a sliding patio door that did not have safety glass. She was so severely cut that she almost died from loss of blood. She had about 500 stitches and has a lot of scars.
Old 1st November 2022, 02:05 PM   #301
plague311
Great minds think...

If that had actually been said, it would be '******* mind blowing'. But it hasn't. You seem to have difficulty understand the difference between pointing out that none is fool proof and not doing anything.
Now that is ******* hilarious considering your whole post is nothing more than "no one has said that" when someone implied, verbatim, that taking the measures suggested would be "giving it that fort knox look", etc.

What no one has actually claimed is that it's fool proof. The whole point of those security measures that were so excellently suggested is to SLOW THE INDIVIDUAL DOWN. Someone said it took the police 8 minutes to arrive. The news sources say when the cops showed up they got there as Paul was being hit. Perhaps slowing the perp down would have meant a better outcome for Paul, something I thought all of us hoped for, but I'm done addressing this. It's doing nothing but ******* annoying me.
Old 1st November 2022, 02:07 PM   #302
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Swallowing MAGA conspiracy theories and promoting them himself doesn't make DePape MAGA? Or...despite DePape actively promoting MAGA/QAnon conspiracy theory nonsense and acting on that MAGA/QAnon CT nonsense, the fact that years ago before whatever mental breakdown his ex claims happened DePape wasn't MAGA means he can't be MAGA now?
The title is misleading in that article when it states that Taub "Confirms He Wasn't a Trumper" as she doesn't actually say that.

Quote:
"I don’t think he became a Trump supporter," Taub tells the Chronicle. "He was against the government, but if anything he was opposed to the shadow government, against the people who really run the government and use politicians as puppets. Like Trump was a puppet."
Reading the article, this appears to be Taub's belief, among other conspiracy theories, and she's guessing what DePape believes now. By her own admission, she has not had a relationship with him since 2015 so pretty much pre-political Trump.

Quote:
...because Taub tells the Chronicle she broke up with DePape "for good" in 2015.
DePape's blog shows that he did support Trump or he would not have written 'encouraging Trump to choose Tulsi Gabbard as a running mate for 2024".

Quote:
The Chronicle reported last week and as the Times further reported, DePape's online blog presence in recent years was a chaotic mish-mash that one could say paints a picture of unmedicated mental illness, blending day-to-day political items — like encouraging Trump to choose Tulsi Gabbard as a running mate for 2024 — with images of faeries and Holocaust denials.
Taub appears to be rather mentally unstable herself from what is revealed in the article.
Old 1st November 2022, 02:09 PM   #303
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I’m betting a lot of door glass is still grandfathered in. And anyone coming from out of state probably wouldn’t now about that law. Heck, a lot of Californians probably aren’t aware of it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 02:13 PM   #304
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Not really. Doors are required to have safety glass in CA.

Back in the late 60's, my SIL was roughhousing with her brothers and ran into a sliding patio door that did not have safety glass. She was so severely cut that she almost died from loss of blood. She had about 500 stitches and has a lot of scars.
Yes, but the kind of safety glass required by code means that it crumbles into little pieces instead of nightmarish shards. This stuff actually makes it easier and safer for our theoretical bad guy to gain entrance. If it were straight plate glass, he'd have to spend significant time to get through the broken shards without getting carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey and bleeding out. .

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 02:38 PM   #305
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Now that is ******* hilarious considering your whole post is nothing more than "no one has said that" when someone implied, verbatim, that taking the measures suggested would be "giving it that fort knox look", etc.
Um..no. You said "Saying to get some simple home security measures is "turning into Fort Knox" lol."

This is what was said:

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Actually, I meant -- quite seriously -- security doors and bars, window film, alarms and lights, which some other posters insist would be useless.
I am really not seeing why you insist on somehow making this Pelosi's fault because she "should have converted her house into Fort Knox." Do other Reps on either side have the kind of security systems you talk about for their houses?
"Security doors and bars, window film, alarms and lights" are not "simple security measures". An alarm system and lights are a "simple" security measure; putting bars on windows and doors and coating dozens of windows with window film are not.
So, no....no one actually say what you claimed was said.

What no one has actually claimed is that it's fool proof.
Which is exactly what I and others have said. But you go hyperbolic with an it's all or nothing assumption. When it's pointed out that no security measure is foolproof, you "take it no one here has a security system, deadbolts, locks their doors or anything? Right?" Just because we don't want bars on our windows and doors does not mean "no one here has a security system or locks their door or anything".

The whole point of those security measures that were so excellently suggested is to SLOW THE INDIVIDUAL DOWN. Someone said it took the police 8 minutes to arrive. The news sources say when the cops showed up they got there as Paul was being hit. Perhaps slowing the perp down would have meant a better outcome for Paul, something I thought all of us hoped for, but I'm done addressing this. It's doing nothing but ******* annoying me.

You wouldn't be getting "******* annoyed" and your knickers all in a twist if you would read for comprehension and context because no one is saying what you keep insisting we are.
Old 1st November 2022, 02:46 PM   #306
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but the kind of safety glass required by code means that it crumbles into little pieces instead of nightmarish shards. This stuff actually makes it easier and safer for our theoretical bad guy to gain entrance. If it were straight plate glass, he'd have to spend significant time to get through the broken shards without getting carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey and bleeding out. .
Yes, I understand how safety glass works. My point was to Kookbreaker's statement, "That the patio door had safety glass is already a lot of info given away," because it's public knowledge already that those doors had to have safety glass.
Old 1st November 2022, 02:50 PM   #307
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I understand how safety glass works. My point was to Kookbreaker's statement, "That the patio door had safety glass is already a lot of info given away," because it's public knowledge already that those doors had to have safety glass.
Assuming they were installed after that code went into effect. They don't make you tear out your existing doors when a code is adopted; it only applies to new construction and some rentals.

Old 1st November 2022, 03:23 PM   #308
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I’m betting a lot of door glass is still grandfathered in. And anyone coming from out of state probably wouldn’t now about that law. Heck, a lot of Californians probably aren’t aware of it.
Assuming they were installed after that code went into effect. They don't make you tear out your existing doors when a code is adopted; it only applies to new construction and some rentals.

Tempered glass has been required nationally for 58 years according to the Uniform Building Code of 1964:

Quote:
All Glass Doors
— Shall be fully tempered glass
Anyone who has built a home, replaced a glass door, or even a broken pane in a door would know that.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st November 2022 at 03:24 PM.
Old 1st November 2022, 03:24 PM   #309
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I heard that the "Alcatraz" look is the latest home trend among Dem Congressmembers.
Well, you can see The Rock from a fewe locations in Pacific Heights..

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 03:28 PM   #310
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The nut didn't fall far from the nutsack. Donnie Jr. obviously has severe Daddy issues. I've never seen a grown man so desperately needy for Daddy's approval as Junior. Even his choice of a girlfriend is weird; Guilfoyle, 53, looks a lot like step-mom Melania, 52.
No secret that most of Trump's staff held Trump Jr in contempt as being an idiot. Hence the nicnname "Fredo" after Donnie Jr revealed Trump's made phone calls to Russia, after the charecter in GOdfather 2 who blows that he is working for Hymie Roth.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 04:08 PM   #311
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Tempered glass has been required nationally for 58 years according to the Uniform Building Code of 1964:

Anyone who has built a home, replaced a glass door, or even a broken pane in a door would know that.
I have no idea why you are defending this hill.

Pelosis house was built in 1938, and I have no idea what her remodeling projects have been. Did you know that many old houses actually maintain their stately original doors? My house was built in 1910 and had each and every original door and window when I bought it, including the beveled glass on the 7' front door. You want to guess if it was safety glass? Go on, guess.

Old 1st November 2022, 04:21 PM   #312
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

How far off on a tangent are we going here? WTF cares about the damn glass!
Old 1st November 2022, 04:24 PM   #313
slyjoe
Illuminator

I seriously doubt the attacker knew about the glass. Hell, he didn't know Nancy wasn't home.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 04:25 PM   #314
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No secret that most of Trump's staff held Trump Jr in contempt as being an idiot. Hence the nicnname "Fredo" after Donnie Jr revealed Trump's made phone calls to Russia, after the charecter in GOdfather 2 who blows that he is working for Hymie Roth.
And at least one member here has the same "sense of humor" as Fredo, as seen in the Parrotty Titles thread:
Intruder enters Pelosi's Husband and attacks

That's how the original title parses for me, anyway. Proofread your thread titles, people!
Old 1st November 2022, 05:08 PM   #315
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I have no idea why you are defending this hill.

Pelosis house was built in 1938, and I have no idea what her remodeling projects have been. Did you know that many old houses actually maintain their stately original doors? My house was built in 1910 and had each and every original door and window when I bought it, including the beveled glass on the 7' front door. You want to guess if it was safety glass? Go on, guess.
Exactly what hill do you think I'm 'defending' here? All I've done is posted facts and information relating to claims made by you and kookbreaker:

We are also not given details about security systems since we probably don’t want others to know. That the patio door had safety glass is already a lot of info given away.
How is that defending a hill and what hill am I defending?

Quote:
Again, how is posting information defending a hill? Kookbreaker said anyone coming in from out of state probably wouldn't know that law. I provided the info that it's a national building code so being out of state doesn't mean anything.

Quote:

Yet again, I've only provided information of when the code went into effect. I never said a word about tearing out existing doors. Is it untrue that building a home, replacing a glass door or a broken pane in a door requires safety glass?

Yes, I do know that "many old houses actually maintain their stately original doors" but why are you asking me that? Have I said otherwise? I have not. I specifically mentioned "building a new house, replacing old doors or even a broken pane in a door". How you got the idea that I think old houses have to replace existing doors is a mystery to me.

I don't have to guess if your doors and windows have safety glass if they're original to the house built in 1910. I know they're not. Why do I know this? Because the building code requiring it didn't come into effect until 1964 and retrofitting anything made before then was never required. And not something I ever claimed was. I suggest you stop being so defensive and seeing what ain't there.

ETA: By the way, beveled doors and windows can be, but are not required, to be tempered.

Quote:
Also if the glass is decorative it is not required to be tempered.

To best understand what decorative glass means, we can look at the definition found in chapter 2.

DECORATIVE GLASS: A carved, leaded or Dalle glass or glazing material with a purpose that is decorative or artistic, not functional; with coloring, texture or other design qualities or components that cannot be removed without destroying the glazing material; and with a surface, or assembly into which it is incorporated, that it divided into segments.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st November 2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 1st November 2022, 05:28 PM   #316
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
How far off on a tangent are we going here? WTF cares about the damn glass!
Apparently, some do.
Old 1st November 2022, 06:31 PM   #317
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...location=alert

The cameras that were mentioned earlier caught the event but no one was watching at the time.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 06:35 PM   #318
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A new development: Video cameras observed the break-in, but Capitol Police weren't watching.
Quote:
Inside the command center for the U.S. Capitol Police, a handful of officers were going through their routines early Friday morning, cycling through live feeds from the department’s 1,800 cameras used to monitor the nearby Capitol complex as well as some points beyond, when an officer stopped. On a screen showing a darkened street nearly 3,000 miles away, police lights were flashing outside the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), officials say.

The officer in D.C. quickly pulled up additional camera angles from around Pelosi’s home and began to backtrack, watching recordings from the minutes before San Francisco police arrived. There, on camera, was a man with a hammer, breaking a glass panel and entering the speaker’s home, according to three people familiar with how Capitol Police learned of the break-in and who have been briefed on or viewed the video themselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-was-watching/

ETA: Ninja'd
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2022, 06:42 PM   #319
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

No true MAGA, eh? I guess some people just don't want to understand how someone who embraced all sorts of stupidity years ago, including 9/11 trutherism, could now be so stupid as to go full MAGA.

Mr. Ciccarelli was DePape's employer for six years:
“If you got him talking about politics, it was all over,” Mr. Ciccarelli recalled in an interview this week. “Because he really believed in the whole MAGA, ‘Pizzagate,’ stolen election — you know, all of it, all the way down the line.”

....“He was completely caught up in the fantasy, in the MAGA fantasy,” he said.
DePape appears to be the “daviddepape” who expressed his views online in a blog:
From August until the day before the attack on Mr. Pelosi, the blog featured a flurry of antisemitic sentiments and concerns about pedophilia, anti-white racism and “elite” control of the internet.

....Several other posts were consumed with culture war issues and seemed to closely track with current events. One post was about the nearly $1 billion defamation judgment entered this month against Alex Jones, the founder of the conspiracy theory-driven media outlet Infowars.
More:
An Aug. 24 entry titled “Q,” displayed a scatological collection of memes that included photos of the deceased sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and made reference to QAnon, the baseless pro-Trump conspiracy theory that espouses the belief that the country is run by a deep state cabal of child sex traffickers, satanic pedophiles and baby-eating cannibals.

....On a different site, someone posting under DePape’s name repeated false claims about COVID vaccines and wearing masks, questioned whether climate change is real and displayed an illustration of a zombified Hillary Clinton dining on human flesh.

There appeared to be no direct posts about Pelosi, but there were entries defending former President Donald Trump and Ye, the rapper formally known as Kayne West who recently made antisemitic comments.

....In a Sept. 27 post, the writer said any journalists who denied Trump’s false claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election “should be dragged straight out into the street and shot.”
Still more:
Last year, David DePape posted links on his Facebook page to multiple videos produced by My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell falsely alleging that the 2020 election was stolen. Other posts included transphobic images and linked to websites claiming Covid vaccines were deadly. “The death rates being promoted are what ever ‘THEY’ want to be promoted as the death rate,” one post read.
And that's just a sample of what's already been reported.

It is of course hard to deny the insanity of anyone who's gone full MAGA, as DePape has, but there are members of this forum who still prefer to attribute MAGA beliefs to garden-variety stupidity, dishonesty, or compulsion to do evil. On the other hand, DePape's public defender has already said "We're going to be looking into Mr. DePape's mental state," so we can look forward to the defense citing DePape's MAGA views as evidence of diminished mental capacity.

Last edited by W.D.Clinger; 1st November 2022 at 06:43 PM.
Old 1st November 2022, 06:56 PM   #320
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But, but, but... did he actually ever VOTE for Trump or say he did?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics