IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 1st November 2022, 07:11 PM   #321
Thermal
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 20,634
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Exactly what hill do you think I'm 'defending' here? All I've done is posted facts and information relating to claims made by you and kookbreaker:






How is that defending a hill and what hill am I defending?




Again, how is posting information defending a hill? Kookbreaker said anyone coming in from out of state probably wouldn't know that law. I provided the info that it's a national building code so being out of state doesn't mean anything.




Yet again, I've only provided information of when the code went into effect. I never said a word about tearing out existing doors. Is it untrue that building a home, replacing a glass door or a broken pane in a door requires safety glass?

Yes, I do know that "many old houses actually maintain their stately original doors" but why are you asking me that? Have I said otherwise? I have not. I specifically mentioned "building a new house, replacing old doors or even a broken pane in a door". How you got the idea that I think old houses have to replace existing doors is a mystery to me.

I don't have to guess if your doors and windows have safety glass if they're original to the house built in 1910. I know they're not. Why do I know this? Because the building code requiring it didn't come into effect until 1964 and retrofitting anything made before then was never required. And not something I ever claimed was. I suggest you stop being so defensive and seeing what ain't there.

ETA: By the way, beveled doors and windows can be, but are not required, to be tempered.
CLICK HERE to unsubscribe to Stacyhs' Random Glass Facts
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:23 AM   #322
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 33,477
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
CLICK HERE to unsubscribe to Stacyhs' Random Glass Facts
FTFY
__________________
Слава Україні! **** Putin!
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 02:00 AM   #323
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 27,839
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
CLICK HERE to unsubscribe to Stacyhs' Random Glass Facts
Thank you for acknowledging that you had no answer to my question "Exactly what hill do you think I'm defending?" by providing factual information related to certain claims. Happy to help anytime.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 05:41 AM   #324
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,277
Reactions to this event from the MAGA Fascist party, aka the GOP, convey the deeply disturbing sense that normalization of political violence has reached a whole new level.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 05:45 AM   #325
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,219
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Reactions to this event from the MAGA Fascist party, aka the GOP, convey the deeply disturbing sense that normalization of political violence has reached a whole new level.
It's just confirmed for me that a lot of the people I know are living in a fantasy world.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 08:09 AM   #326
Thermal
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 20,634
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thank you for acknowledging that you had no answer to my question "Exactly what hill do you think I'm defending?" by providing factual information related to certain claims. Happy to help anytime.
Fine. We'll do it your way.

Your reply to kookbreaker was that:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This statement is factually untrue, misleading in context, and irrelevant.

1.Factually untrue: This applies only to new construction. You found out later that it doesn't even apply to all new construction. The State has no requirement for 'doors', unless you are building new.

2. Misleading in context: since the Pelosi 'manse' was built in 1938, we have no reason to assume these are spiffy replacement doors that would be subject to modern codes. Your statement suggests otherwise.

3. Irrelevant: we don't know what kind of door this was, or whether it had decorative glass, so no one on planet earth would have any idea what to expect on that property unless that information was publicized.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Tempered glass has been required nationally for 58 years according to the Uniform Building Code of 1964:
Here, you go on to abruptly vacillate between tempered glass and safety glass. They are not the same thing. That's called 'moving the goalposts'. Citing the UBC64 was a nice touch, as that code was not in effect when the house was built and is not in effect now. You do know that it was thrown in the trash (no: properly placed in the recycling bin before being thrown in the landfill) decades ago, right? And sections of code are sometimes deleted wholesale when new codes are adopted?

{eta: forgot: the tempered glass code for 'glass doors' you refer to applied to what we now call 'sliders', not wood framed doors with glass inserts. Ya double-screwed the pooch on that one.}

Quote:
Anyone who has built a home, replaced a glass door, or even a broken pane in a door would know that.


I'm a building contractor. Please, lecture me some more about construction!

Btw, a broken pane on a door has no requirement to be upgraded to safety or tempered glass. You can absolutely break out the glazing and points and replace an individual pane on a 9 lite with plate glass. I've done so many times myself, and they do so in Cali, too. Beveled and leaded glass, very common on high end building, usually exempt. Individual panes under 3" (like on a mosaic) are also exempt on new construction.

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
How far off on a tangent are we going here? WTF cares about the damn glass!
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Apparently, some do.
I particularly love how you perpetuate the argument with long responses citing irrelevant codes and information, then act like it is someone else doing that.

Last edited by Thermal; 2nd November 2022 at 08:14 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 08:38 AM   #327
crescent
Philosopher
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,214
Things like this can be so wildly dispiriting. People run, run RUN to the conspiracy mindset so quickly.

I remember on January 6 when the right-wing went from "this is a patriotic rally to hold congress accountable" to "ANTIFA DIDDIT!" in the span of just a few hours.

So we see that here. The hard right wing is now set on claiming that Pelosi let DePape in, that Pelosi told police the DePape was his friend, that DePape was in his underwear.

To some extent all of those things were reported or claimed in the very early reporting of the event. But as the story has developed those claims have also been proven wrong. There is video of DePape breaking the glass to open the door, it was DePape who yelled that he was a friend (loud enough for the 911 operator to hear it and include in the notes), it was Pelosi who was in his underwear as is normal for a man sleeping in his own house at 2 a.m.

But the hard right wing will accept none of those facts, my social media is full of idiots SCREAMING WITH JOY about Paul Pelosi's fail homosexual tryst. They are fully invested in lampooning this as a failed gay rendezvous, mocking Mr. Pelosi for getting his skull fractured. Flat out wrong and loud as hell - and largely in control of the Republican party with a good chance of winning the House and Senate next week.

God. People disgust me.


(and honestly, cut the crap with the windows and glass or start a new thread. You've made your points, nobody cares and it's pretty well irrelevant anyway)

Last edited by crescent; 2nd November 2022 at 08:39 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 08:57 AM   #328
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 19,328
Some new information about the break in...

From: CBS NEws
The break-in at the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her husband, Paul Pelosi, was captured by security cameras outside the house, but Capitol Police only learned of the break-in after an officer in the Capitol Police's command center saw a police cruiser in the couple's driveway...No security alarm went off during the break-in...even after the suspect broke the glass of a rear door to the house. The speaker's security is provided by Capitol Police, who were with her in Washington...

So it looks like there was some security at the place, but they failed to do their job. (The article didn't say if the lack of alarm was because he didn't turn it on or whether there was another failure.)

And a bit more about the attacker:

San Francisco police said that he told them that, "If Nancy [Pelosi] were to tell DePape the 'truth,' he would let her go, and if she 'lied,' he was going to break 'her kneecaps'" ...while at the scene of the attack, the suspect told officers that he was sick of the "lies coming out of Washington D.C."..."I didn't really want to hurt him, but you know this was a suicide mission"... DePape had a list of potential other targets...those targets included local professor, as well as several prominent state and federal politicians and members of their families.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:00 AM   #329
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,421
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Some new information about the break in...

From: CBS NEws
The break-in at the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her husband, Paul Pelosi, was captured by security cameras outside the house, but Capitol Police only learned of the break-in after an officer in the Capitol Police's command center saw a police cruiser in the couple's driveway...No security alarm went off during the break-in...even after the suspect broke the glass of a rear door to the house. The speaker's security is provided by Capitol Police, who were with her in Washington...

So it looks like there was some security at the place, but they failed to do their job. (The article didn't say if the lack of alarm was because he didn't turn it on or whether there was another failure.)
This confuses me even more. So not only do they get $10,000 for security upgrades, and $150/month for monitoring but Capitol Police is also monitoring them, and the taxpayer is paying for that too?

It's all starting to sound more like a money laundering racket than anything else.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:01 AM   #330
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,185
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So it looks like there was some security at the place, but they failed to do their job.
Not sure I'd jump to that conclusion. Nancy wasn't there and there have been some statements that her family doesn't have the same level of protection. Also it says no alarms went off. Not sure what to make of that since we don't know if there even was an enabled alarm system.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:07 AM   #331
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 33,477
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Things like this can be so wildly dispiriting. People run, run RUN to the conspiracy mindset so quickly.

I remember on January 6 when the right-wing went from "this is a patriotic rally to hold congress accountable" to "ANTIFA DIDDIT!" in the span of just a few hours.

So we see that here. The hard right wing is now set on claiming that Pelosi let DePape in, that Pelosi told police the DePape was his friend, that DePape was in his underwear.

To some extent all of those things were reported or claimed in the very early reporting of the event. But as the story has developed those claims have also been proven wrong. There is video of DePape breaking the glass to open the door, it was DePape who yelled that he was a friend (loud enough for the 911 operator to hear it and include in the notes), it was Pelosi who was in his underwear as is normal for a man sleeping in his own house at 2 a.m.

But the hard right wing will accept none of those facts, my social media is full of idiots SCREAMING WITH JOY about Paul Pelosi's fail homosexual tryst. They are fully invested in lampooning this as a failed gay rendezvous, mocking Mr. Pelosi for getting his skull fractured. Flat out wrong and loud as hell - and largely in control of the Republican party with a good chance of winning the House and Senate next week.

God. People disgust me.


(and honestly, cut the crap with the windows and glass or start a new thread. You've made your points, nobody cares and it's pretty well irrelevant anyway)
Yeah, and this kind of thing is massively amplified by Tucker Carlson, Glenn Greenwald (who seethes with indignation at anyone who calls out his BS routine), Matt Walsh and ... oh, yeah... Elon Musk. Even Michael Shermer, yes him... in a now deleted tweet, just after promoting his book on conspiracy theories decided to float the idea that "we aren't hearing the full story".

They know full well what they are doing. They are complete wankers. The story is pretty much as clear as any could be. But they are now claiming that the blogposts made by DePape were faked, the police are presumably lying, they will just ignore the testimony of his former boss, and no doubt if he turns up in court with a MAGA hat on and says he wanted to break Nancy Pelosi's knees to punish her for stealing the election from Lord god and saviour Donald Trump, the same bunch of assclowns whose entire career is based on taking a dump in information stream, will only say he's been brainwashed by the BLM-affiliated LGBT woke police.
__________________
Слава Україні! **** Putin!
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:12 AM   #332
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 19,328
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This confuses me even more. So not only do they get $10,000 for security upgrades, and $150/month for monitoring but Capitol Police is also monitoring them, and the taxpayer is paying for that too?

It's all starting to sound more like a money laundering racket than anything else.
I assume that Pelosi is monitored by Capital police because of her position as speaker of the house (a high-profile position that would make her a bigger target). Its likely that other congress-critters (your standard garden variety rookies for example) probably don't get capital police protection at all, and they are the ones who would benefit from the security upgrades.

(If it hasn't been done already, they could change the legislation to read "$10,000 for congress-critters to upgrade home security, but only if they aren't protected by capital police")
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:15 AM   #333
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,001
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This confuses me even more. So not only do they get $10,000 for security upgrades, and $150/month for monitoring but Capitol Police is also monitoring them, and the taxpayer is paying for that too?
.....
Pelosi is not an ordinary congressperson. Once again, she is second in line of succession to the Presidency. She and other senior Congressional leaders are protected by the Capitol Hill police. Most members of Congress are not.

As the story previously linked above notes, cameras at Pelosi's house fed into a central police monitoring point with hundreds of other security cameras in Washington. Nobody was monitoring them live.
Quote:
Inside the command center for the U.S. Capitol Police, a handful of officers were going through their routines early Friday morning, cycling through live feeds from the department’s 1,800 cameras used to monitor the nearby Capitol complex as well as some points beyond, when an officer stopped. On a screen showing a darkened street nearly 3,000 miles away, police lights were flashing outside the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), officials say.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-was-watching/

A lot of people, including me, believe that it shouldn't have been possible for anybody to break into Pelosi's home, let alone try to murder her husband, so easily.

Last edited by Bob001; 2nd November 2022 at 09:21 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:16 AM   #334
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 19,328
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Quote:
So it looks like there was some security at the place, but they failed to do their job.
Not sure I'd jump to that conclusion. Nancy wasn't there and there have been some statements that her family doesn't have the same level of protection.
I know there was less security (meaning no actual guards on site). You would figure they would at least do a better job of monitoring the security cameras though.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:39 AM   #335
crescent
Philosopher
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,214
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I know there was less security (meaning no actual guards on site). You would figure they would at least do a better job of monitoring the security cameras though.
I wonder how long DePape was in the image. If he just walked up, smashed through a window pane, reached through and unlocked a door, me might have only been in the video for 10 seconds or less before he was inside.

Imagine a bored police employee in the wee hours of the night with a whole bank of monitors to... monitor. Easy to let the concentration lapse, focus on the "wrong" monitor for while, to turn around and stretch, fiddle with a thermos to pour a cup of coffee, anything.

Some places with multiple monitors automatically flicker back and forth from one to another to another to another unless the employee directs it to stay on one.

I'm guessing though that DePape was probably around the house for a while before making his move. The man seems crazy as a loon* and people like that often have very disordered thought processes. I would not be surprised if we find out that he was in the vicinity walking around the neighborhood, peering around corners and hiding in bushes for hours before he finally functioned well enough to act on his dysfunction.

Time will tell I guess.


*But clearly directed and inspired by the right-wing MAGA Q-anon Conspiracy theory wing of modern American political discourse which preys on weak-minded loons and idiots.

Last edited by crescent; 2nd November 2022 at 09:40 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:53 AM   #336
Thermal
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 20,634
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Pelosi is not an ordinary congressperson. Once again, she is second in line of succession to the Presidency. She and other senior Congressional leaders are protected by the Capitol Hill police. Most members of Congress are not.
I'd venture that her place in the line of succession is of less import than her prominence as the Speaker standalone.

Quote:
A lot of people, including me, believe that it shouldn't have been possible for anybody to break into Pelosi's home, let alone try to murder her husband, so easily.
Agreed, and it was entirely within her means to safeguard her home. A multi millionaire in a multi million dollar home can make that crib an attractive and discrete absolute fortress with her cigarette money.

Windows can easily be reinforced with metal bars in a grid pattern that look just like old fashioned window panes. Glass options are available right up to actual bulletproof. She would just need to break out that Visa card. Yet every single day, she elected to tell her husband that he was on his own to face whoever came at him because of the job she took, while she sauntered off with her taxpayer-funded security detail.

Wealthy people have the means and responsibility to protect their own homes. While you could argue that Americans should go without a little more tax-funded assistance so that millionaires can get another freebie, in the here and now, this was the choice she willingly made.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:08 AM   #337
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 32,388
The sad thing is, she shouldn't have to have to harden her house and have enhanced security. She didn't have to, until Trump/MAGA.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:19 AM   #338
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,421
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I assume that Pelosi is monitored by Capital police because of her position as speaker of the house (a high-profile position that would make her a bigger target). Its likely that other congress-critters (your standard garden variety rookies for example) probably don't get capital police protection at all, and they are the ones who would benefit from the security upgrades.

(If it hasn't been done already, they could change the legislation to read "$10,000 for congress-critters to upgrade home security, but only if they aren't protected by capital police")
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Pelosi is not an ordinary congressperson. Once again, she is second in line of succession to the Presidency. She and other senior Congressional leaders are protected by the Capitol Hill police. Most members of Congress are not.

As the story previously linked above notes, cameras at Pelosi's house fed into a central police monitoring point with hundreds of other security cameras in Washington. Nobody was monitoring them live.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-was-watching/

A lot of people, including me, believe that it shouldn't have been possible for anybody to break into Pelosi's home, let alone try to murder her husband, so easily.
I agree with all of this. I have no doubts that she got more attention because of her position in the House, her position in line to POTUS, etc. I'm fine with that. That being said, if that's the case, then she doesn't need a) the $10,000 for security or b) the $150/mo allowance. Nor should anyone else that has the heightened security.

It might sound petty, but as Thermal is saying, she can afford to foot the bill. She has multiple millions of dollars at her disposal and she's making more everyday. This is the type of government spending that chaps my ass more than anything.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:21 AM   #339
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,421
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The sad thing is, she shouldn't have to have to harden her house and have enhanced security. She didn't have to, until Trump/MAGA.
This I'll disagree with, slightly. You're right in that she didn't have to until the Red Hats started showing up, but I do believe she should have to harden her house and have advanced security given her position in our government. She's, technically, 2nd in line. How does her security rate vs the White House? That's how I'm looking at it. She should go above and beyond to make sure that she is safe (her husband isn't really my focus in this rant, but he'd be safer by proximity). IMO 2-4 should have significantly heightened security.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:34 AM   #340
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,001
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
....
It might sound petty, but as Thermal is saying, she can afford to foot the bill. She has multiple millions of dollars at her disposal and she's making more everyday. This is the type of government spending that chaps my ass more than anything.
It's a trivial expense, and every dollar has to be approved by the Sargeant-at-Arms. Some members of Congress are millionaires. Some are not. Are you going to start means-testing every service and benefit they get? How much is it worth to prevent the murder of a Congressperson or his/her family?

The Pentagon spends $750+ billion a year. Do you know what it buys? No, because nobody does. The Pentagon has never been successfully audited. If you want to be chapped about government spending, that's the place to start.
https://www.thenation.com/article/wo...-inflated-war/
https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/99796...to-change-that

Last edited by Bob001; 2nd November 2022 at 10:39 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:36 AM   #341
crescent
Philosopher
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,214
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This I'll disagree with, slightly. You're right in that she didn't have to until the Red Hats started showing up, but I do believe she should have to harden her house and have advanced security given her position in our government. She's, technically, 2nd in line. How does her security rate vs the White House? That's how I'm looking at it. She should go above and beyond to make sure that she is safe (her husband isn't really my focus in this rant, but he'd be safer by proximity). IMO 2-4 should have significantly heightened security.
Politically, Pelosi's security always put her between a rock and hard place.

Some years ago there was a huge kerfuffle when aerial images of her mansion were circulated, emphasizing the walls surrounding the compound. That was gist for talk radio, Limbaugh and all the others for days even after it was clear that the imagery was of the wrong house. Her house is surprisingly modest and sits on a pretty small lot on a corner, the house probably not even 10 meters from the sidewalk.

She needed an airplane for official travel. The Airforce planes her predecessor used didn't have the range for unfueled flight from D.C. to the west coast so the House Sergeant at Arms requested a list of what sorts of planes the Airforce had available for that. That resulted in another ENORMOUS blowup about her "requesting" a big party plane. Ms. Pelosi never made that request but it seemed funny so the talk radio and Faux news idiots never retracted it and it is probably still widely believed to this day.

So any effort to improve security at her house would again have resulted in an enormous yuuuuge brain-exploding freakout by the conservative motivator people. Weeks of wall to wall coverage on talk shows (TV, radio, internet, all over). Weeks and weeks of false statements put out. Gross exaggerations, half truths, outright lies and false facts believed even by the people who made them up wholesale.

And I truly believe that would include many of the same people who today are saying that she should have improved security. There is no hypocrisy too great, no logical gap too wide for a die-hard Pelosi hater to jump in the effort to criticize her.

Last edited by crescent; 2nd November 2022 at 10:43 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:38 AM   #342
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,001
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This I'll disagree with, slightly. You're right in that she didn't have to until the Red Hats started showing up, but I do believe she should have to harden her house and have advanced security given her position in our government. She's, technically, 2nd in line. How does her security rate vs the White House? That's how I'm looking at it. She should go above and beyond to make sure that she is safe (her husband isn't really my focus in this rant, but he'd be safer by proximity). IMO 2-4 should have significantly heightened security.
I would say that the government she serves in a job that has made her a target is obligated to protect her and her family's security. It's not something she should have to deal with on her own, no matter how rich she is.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:54 AM   #343
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,185
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
So any effort to improve security at her house would again have resulted in an enormous yuuuuge brain-exploding freakout by the conservative motivator people. Weeks of wall to wall coverage on talk shows (TV, radio, internet, all over). Weeks and weeks of false statements put out. Gross exaggerations, half truths, outright lies and false facts believed even by the people who made them up wholesale.
I'd undercut that by extending this to (at least) the majority and minority leaders of both houses.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:56 AM   #344
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,277
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I agree with all of this. I have no doubts that she got more attention because of her position in the House, her position in line to POTUS, etc. I'm fine with that. That being said, if that's the case, then she doesn't need a) the $10,000 for security or b) the $150/mo allowance. Nor should anyone else that has the heightened security.

It might sound petty, but as Thermal is saying, she can afford to foot the bill. She has multiple millions of dollars at her disposal and she's making more everyday. This is the type of government spending that chaps my ass more than anything.
Very much so.

And we don't even know for sure that she was a recipient of the 10k. You're getting worked up over a whole lot of supposition.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:10 AM   #345
Thermal
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 20,634
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Very much so.

And we don't even know for sure that she was a recipient of the 10k. You're getting worked up over a whole lot of supposition.
She wasn't a recipient. She chose to do little to nothing to protect her home and husband, despite being aware of the risks and having ample means. Us poor folk buy deadbolt and all to protect our families out of pocket. The argument here is that she should get garden-variety middle-class homeowner protections on the working classes taxpayer dime.

Like I said before, kudos to her faith in human nature, believing she was under no threat worthy of interfering with her champagne budget. That she values her home and husband so little should be the prime indicator of how much taxpayer freebies she should receive.

And yes, it's a sidebar peeve for some of us. We all want our representatives to be safe. I want my garbage collector, who provides a very tangible service to the community, to be safe, too. When some of us smell pork, though, we rail.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:37 AM   #346
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,001
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
She wasn't a recipient. She chose to do little to nothing to protect her home and husband, despite being aware of the risks and having ample means. Us poor folk buy deadbolt and all to protect our families out of pocket. The argument here is that she should get garden-variety middle-class homeowner protections on the working classes taxpayer dime.

Like I said before, kudos to her faith in human nature, believing she was under no threat worthy of interfering with her champagne budget. That she values her home and husband so little should be the prime indicator of how much taxpayer freebies she should receive.
....
Well, we still don't know what the story is about the alarm. She might have had a bank-level alarm system, but it's worthless if nobody turned it on.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:43 AM   #347
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,001
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'd venture that her place in the line of succession is of less import than her prominence as the Speaker standalone.
....
But the two are one and the same. She's second in line because she's the Speaker.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:45 AM   #348
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,894
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I'm guessing though that DePape was probably around the house for a while before making his move. The man seems crazy as a loon* and people like that often have very disordered thought processes. I would not be surprised if we find out that he was in the vicinity walking around the neighborhood, peering around corners and hiding in bushes for hours before he finally functioned well enough to act on his dysfunction.
I don't see any reason to believe that. It is quite readily-apparently untrue that someone has to be some kind of shambling disheveled muttering schizo-caricature, incapable of behaving or functioning normally within society, in order to be deep inside the MAGA/QAnon bubble even to the point where one is willing to attack or assassinate public figures. He does seem to have been paranoid, in the sense that he thought "the government" was after him, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it was to a level that he thought that random people around him were gangstalkers and he had to hide in bushes.or run around to actively shake spies off his tail. It's not the impression I got from the statements he made to police in his interrogation.

The charging document references a statement from a witness who was a security guard at a nearby residence. The guard said he saw DePape walking down the sidewalk wearing a backpack. Very shortly after, he heard the sound of DePape breaking through Pelosi's patio door. It suggests to me that DePape didn't spend any time "casing" the place or running around hiding from shadows and gathering courage, but rather just walked right up to the place and immediately chose his method of entry.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:05 PM   #349
Thermal
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 20,634
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Well, we still don't know what the story is about the alarm. She might have had a bank-level alarm system, but it's worthless if nobody turned it on.
True. But alarms are for when it is already too late (+/-), and it's invader-game on. Making the place resistant to any knucklehead with a $5 hammer is the name of the preventative game. Alarms will scare off a punk trying to lift a tv, but someone like Speaker Pelosi has a more personal, if not psychotic, threat on the table.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:08 PM   #350
Thermal
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 20,634
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But the two are one and the same. She's second in line because she's the Speaker.
Yeah, but her attractiveness as a target is not because of her place in line. What makes her a target is her vocal pulpit for Democrat issues. That's why the nuts attack, not because she has Ticket #2 on the President Ford train.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:34 PM   #351
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,873
JAQ D'Souza is

On Twitter Dinesh D'Souza queried, "The facts in the Paul Pelosi incident keep changing. Are the local police and the media now trying to “edit” the facts to support a false narrative?"

When the facts change, I change my mind...
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 2nd November 2022 at 12:35 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 01:25 PM   #352
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 2,102
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I’m guessing Mr. Pelosi was actually hit with a paranormal hat.
Like Proust's Madeleine, the last two words evoked such a strong remembrance of things past...
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 02:24 PM   #353
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 16,001
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
On Twitter Dinesh D'Souza queried, "The facts in the Paul Pelosi incident keep changing. Are the local police and the media now trying to “edit” the facts to support a false narrative?"

When the facts change, I change my mind...
But in this case the facts haven't changed. An intruder broke into the Pelosi home and assaulted Paul Pelosi. That's what the intruder himself says. The only things that keep changing are the crazy right-wing lies that continue to become more and more elaborate and bizarre.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 05:03 PM   #354
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,894
Interesting demonstration.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 05:45 PM   #355
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,925
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
They know full well what they are doing. They are complete wankers.
Please call them by their proper name - Deplorables.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 05:50 PM   #356
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,873
I saw it on TV

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But in this case the facts haven't changed. An intruder broke into the Pelosi home and assaulted Paul Pelosi. That's what the intruder himself says. The only things that keep changing are the crazy right-wing lies that continue to become more and more elaborate and bizarre.
I am not exactly disagreeing with you, but the existence of a video recording was not immediately known.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:19 PM   #357
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,795
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
On Twitter Dinesh D'Souza queried, "The facts in the Paul Pelosi incident keep changing. Are the local police and the media now trying to “edit” the facts to support a false narrative?"

When the facts change, I change my mind...
You do know Dinesh D'Souza has been proven a liar time and time again?
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:22 PM   #358
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,795
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Reactions to this event from the MAGA Fascist party, aka the GOP, convey the deeply disturbing sense that normalization of political violence has reached a whole new level.
And we ain't seen nothng yet...........


TIme to get ready for a fight, because that is what it will come down to.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:22 PM   #359
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 825
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But, but, but... did he actually ever VOTE for Trump or say he did?

He couldn't because he was an illegal alien.

Ohio GOP Senate hopeful J.D. Vance says Paul Pelosi attack wasn't 'reflective of Republicans' because assailant was a 'violent illegal alien' during fiery town hall appearance

That explains it all.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:28 PM   #360
ZiprHead
Muse
 
ZiprHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sag-Nasty
Posts: 825
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Some new information about the break in...

From: CBS NEws
The break-in at the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her husband, Paul Pelosi, was captured by security cameras outside the house, but Capitol Police only learned of the break-in after an officer in the Capitol Police's command center saw a police cruiser in the couple's driveway...No security alarm went off during the break-in...even after the suspect broke the glass of a rear door to the house. The speaker's security is provided by Capitol Police, who were with her in Washington...

So it looks like there was some security at the place, but they failed to do their job. (The article didn't say if the lack of alarm was because he didn't turn it on or whether there was another failure.)

And a bit more about the attacker:

San Francisco police said that he told them that, "If Nancy [Pelosi] were to tell DePape the 'truth,' he would let her go, and if she 'lied,' he was going to break 'her kneecaps'" ...while at the scene of the attack, the suspect told officers that he was sick of the "lies coming out of Washington D.C."..."I didn't really want to hurt him, but you know this was a suicide mission"... DePape had a list of potential other targets...those targets included local professor, as well as several prominent state and federal politicians and members of their families.
To be fair, there is about a half dozen Capital Police officers monitoring 1,800 security cameras from all over the country. Obviously in this day and age this is inadequate.
__________________
When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.