IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2022, 03:32 PM   #81
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Look to what causes the hate and injustice and deal with that.

In the Uk case where I am, it's the tory government complicit with mainstream media that attempts to blame a bogeyman and create divisions as a distraction for how useless they are.

Get rid of governments that need a bogeyman to stay in power, they're a major cause of hate and injustice, especially with a willing media.
Better make sure you keep voting labor or whatever government you need to keep that tory bogeyman at bay!
Old 4th November 2022, 03:35 PM   #82
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
What we have seen is what occurs almost all the time... charlatans and brigands and psychopaths seizing an opportunity to exploit the simpletons and imbeciles who are so moronic that they do not mind or cannot understand that they are cutting their noses to spite their faces.
We can't even take concrete steps to eliminate the language of hate from this thread.

If people have no idea how to get rid of hate and injustice in their own hearts, how can they possibly set out to eliminate it anywhere else?
Old 4th November 2022, 03:42 PM   #83
Leumas
Philosopher

Look to what causes the hate and injustice and deal with that.

In the Uk case where I am, it's the tory government complicit with mainstream media that attempts to blame a bogeyman and create divisions as a distraction for how useless they are.

Get rid of governments that need a bogeyman to stay in power, they're a major cause of hate and injustice, especially with a willing media.

And the Labour one did the same thing to start and justify wars to exploit resources from other people.

Get rid of governments that need a bogeyman to stay in power...

The last people who should be allowed anywhere near positions of power are the ones who seek it... unfortunately the ones who do not seek it will be corrupted by it once they have it... and the ones who do not get corrupted will be insidiously undermined and sabotaged and connived against and plotted against and eventually supplanted by the ones who are the corrupters.
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 03:43 PM   #84
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Better make sure you keep voting labor or whatever government you need to keep that tory bogeyman at bay!
Read my last sentence, I don't know how you missed it but that's the pertinent one and it's not partisan.

Any government that creates a bogeyman to stay in power is the cause of the concerns in this thread.

edit:
It just happens to be the tories in my particular example.

Last edited by p0lka; 4th November 2022 at 03:46 PM.
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 03:47 PM   #85
Leumas
Philosopher

Read my last sentence, I don't know how you missed it but that's the pertinent one and it's not partisan.

Any government that creates a bogeyman to stay in power is the cause of the concerns in this thread.

In other words... all of them... and the ones who do not start out that way... will eventually go that way if they want the hordes of cattle to go the way they need them to go... which invariably is to the abattoirs and dinner plates of the ones who own them.

Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Last edited by Leumas; 4th November 2022 at 03:49 PM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 03:56 PM   #86
Leumas
Philosopher

We can't even take concrete steps to eliminate the language of hate from this thread.

If people have no idea how to get rid of hate and injustice in their own hearts, how can they possibly set out to eliminate it anywhere else?

Even Jesus wanted people to hate their nearest and dearest kin and kith... so what the Christian Nationalists (i.e. the Right and MAGA and the rest of the nuts) are doing is what Jesus told them to do... Jihad in his name... (Matthew 10:34-39 and Luke 14:26)

Last edited by Leumas; 4th November 2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 4th November 2022, 03:59 PM   #87
p0lka
Master Poster

In other words... all of them... and the ones who do not start out that way... will eventually go that way if they want the hordes of cattle to go the way they need them to go... which invariably is to the abattoirs and dinner plates of the ones who own them.

I disagree.
Some governments don't do the bogeyman thing that tries to create division.
I suspect there is less hate and injustice in that place.

I mean it's kinda obvious to me, but i'm not an expert.
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2022, 04:19 PM   #88
Leumas
Philosopher

I disagree.
Some governments don't do the bogeyman thing that tries to create division.

Which ones?

Have you ever worked in an office that has more people than you count on one finger??

Do you have a family?

Have you ever been in a club or school or a team?

I am afraid that you are wrong... as is evident by just observing human psychology and nature.
Old 4th November 2022, 05:35 PM   #89
p0lka
Master Poster

Which ones?
In an ideal world, the ones that can stand on their own merit and don't have to.

Have you ever worked in an office that has more people than you count on one finger??

Do you have a family?

Have you ever been in a club or school or a team?
Yes, yes and yes.

I am afraid that you are wrong... as is evident by just observing human psychology and nature.
Oh, I thought your questions were leading to an enlightenment moment, not just a statement that doesn't follow from what you said.

Have you ever lived in a library that has more books than you can count on one toe?

Do you have hairy fingers?

Have you ever been in the 'why don't you' club?

I am afraid that you are wrong... as is evident by just observing Dr Who by Russel T Davies and nature.
Old 4th November 2022, 06:00 PM   #90
Leumas
Philosopher

In an ideal world, the ones that can stand on their own merit and don't have to.
So in other words only the ones in your dreams... ... Carry On Dreaming!!!

Yes, yes and yes.
Evidently, from what you said following those yeses, you have not observed reality during those experiences.

Oh, I thought your questions were leading to an enlightenment moment, not just a statement that doesn't follow from what you said.
Ah well obviously it takes a lot more than reality to make some people more realistic.

Have you ever lived in a library that has more books than you can count on one toe?
Yes... when I was studying for my finals in college and when I was doing my theses for my graduate degrees.

Do you have hairy fingers?
Have you ever been in the 'why don't you' club?
No... and no!!!

I am afraid that you are wrong... as is evident by just observing Dr Who by Russel T Davies and nature.
Well... had you observed reality instead of fairy tales you might have been able to discern that in fact it is you who is realistically wrong!!!!

Here is a little more enlightening fiction for you

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Leumas; 4th November 2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 5th November 2022, 11:49 AM   #91
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

People fall into these kinds of negative, hostile thinking most easily when they feel unsafe, so the keys to reducing it are to make people safer and more aware of how safe they are.
•Economic improvement
•Functional basic government services including economic safety net and health & safety regulations
•Crime reduction
•Reduction of panic-mongering myths about made-up rampant crime

Last edited by Delvo; 5th November 2022 at 11:51 AM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 12:18 PM   #92
p0lka
Master Poster

So in other words only the ones in your dreams... ... Carry On Dreaming!!!

Evidently, from what you said following those yeses, you have not observed reality during those experiences.

Ah well obviously it takes a lot more than reality to make some people more realistic.

Yes... when I was studying for my finals in college and when I was doing my theses for my graduate degrees.

No... and no!!!

Well... had you observed reality instead of fairy tales you might have been able to discern that in fact it is you who is realistically wrong!!!!

Here is a little more enlightening fiction for you

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
My choice would be a government that deals with the issues.

This government cause continuous obvious neverending distractions about bogeymen whilst gaining value for their backers until they get back in the next time.
Creating hate and injustice is their raison detre as it enables them to be popular.
Detestable.
Old 5th November 2022, 01:53 PM   #93
ahhell
Illuminator

Define Capitalism... then see if all those things fit the definition of Capitalism... regardless of whether you like to call them that or not???

No it is not... it is the consequence of Capitalism.

Hint: labor and humans are a commodity in the Capitalist Market system.... even if some do not want to admit it overtly.

Define revolution... and then ponder over the reason people revolt... and then think about how it is one of the consequences of Capitalism....

Hint: what were the reasons for the Russian, American, French, Spanish etc. etc. etc.
I had a snarky answer but instead, what is capitalism then?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 03:49 PM   #94
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
.... what is capitalism then?

You do not know what it is but yet you felt able to say the statements below

You realize, all of those things predate capitalism by millennia right? And serfdom is pretty clearly the antithesis of a free market. Its the reason for revolutions? Really?

How exactly can you do that??

If someone says X is not Y... and Z is the antithesis of X... and one does not even know what X is... how exactly did one arrive at those conclusions when one does not know what one is talking about???

Last edited by Leumas; 5th November 2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 5th November 2022, 06:57 PM   #95
Leumas
Philosopher

My choice would be a government that deals with the issues.
Mine too... but... I cannot get my wife to shelve our mugs lips down instead of up no matter what I do or how much I explain the advantages in doing so and the disadvantages in doing it the other way... and she persists and insists on shelving them lip up.... and in her mind she is fully convinced that her way is more advantageous and I am wrong.

So unless you have a government that is run by other than humans... you and I will never get our choice fulfilled... or if we do, it would be because others did not get their choice... and if they get power they will start shelving things the "wrong" way until we get the power to stop them and so on and so forth until the last two humans on Earth either go their separate ways because they cannot agree on how to shelve the coconut shells or kill each other.

Or one of them acquiesces and decides to compromise.

And I have always maintained... 'compromise' is a self-deluding word... a substitute for disappointment... to alleviate the Cognitive Dissonance caused by the acceptance of REALITY thwarting one's choices.

This government cause continuous obvious neverending distractions about bogeymen whilst gaining value for their backers until they get back in the next time.
Yes.... I agree... and so did the ones before them and the ones before that ad nauseam... and the ones after them will do the same and the ones after that ad vomitorium.

Creating hate and injustice is their raison detre as it enables them to be popular.
The story of human society since we first picked up sticks and started using them to kill each other instead of plucking out termites.

Detestable.
Yes... like the ones all over the world... past ... present ... and in the future.

Last edited by Leumas; 5th November 2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 5th November 2022, 07:12 PM   #96
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
People fall into these kinds of negative, hostile thinking most easily when they feel unsafe, so the keys to reducing it are to make people safer and more aware of how safe they are.
•Economic improvement
•Functional basic government services including economic safety net and health & safety regulations
•Crime reduction

And
•not allowing psychopaths like Trump and his minions or Nancy Pelosi et al anywhere near seats of power.
Old 6th November 2022, 02:37 PM   #97
p0lka
Master Poster

snip...Yes.... I agree... and so did the ones before them and the ones before that ad nauseam... and the ones after them will do the same and the ones after that ad vomitorium.
Not in my experience in the UK. The previous government is much preferable to the present one.
Much less hate and injustice.

Yes... like the ones all over the world... past ... present ... and in the future.
You aren't going to eliminate hate and injustice if you just give up and think the possibility to do so doesn't exist.
Don't do that.

There are potential 'governments in waiting' all over the world that are actually fighting for things like this,

if the average person could avoid the divisive media that makes them fight amongst themselves and instead focus and vote with their own opinions, it might be a 'less hate and injustice' place.
Old 6th November 2022, 09:57 PM   #98
Leumas
Philosopher

Not in my experience in the UK. The previous government is much preferable to the present one.
Much less hate and injustice.
Not for all the people in the countries your country exploited and is exploiting and will be exploiting.

You aren't going to eliminate hate and injustice if you just give up and think the possibility to do so doesn't exist...
IFTFY...
Originally Posted by A.E. Samaan
All utopias are dystopias. The term "dystopia" was coined by fools that believed a "utopia" can be functional.

There are potential 'governments in waiting' all over the world that are actually fighting for things like this,
Only because they are not in power... once they have it they will start plotting to keep it.

Originally Posted by Toni Morrison
All paradises, all utopias are designed by who is not there, by the people who are not allowed in.

if the average person could avoid the divisive media that makes them fight amongst themselves and instead focus and vote with their own opinions, it might be a 'less hate and injustice' place.
yes... yes...yes...

Originally Posted by Stewart Stafford
Man's Utopian dreams get circumvented through compromise and disappointment into a tolerable reality.

Last edited by Leumas; 6th November 2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 7th November 2022, 06:50 AM   #99
Lithrael
Master Poster

Cmon Leumas, don’t make perfect the enemy of good. It’s not stupid to aim for unattainable goals if getting closer is an improvement.

Aiming for unattainable goals is only stupid if the attempt itself is destructive.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 08:37 AM   #100
ahhell
Illuminator

You do not know what it is but yet you felt able to say the statements below

How exactly can you do that??

If someone says X is not Y... and Z is the antithesis of X... and one does not even know what X is... how exactly did one arrive at those conclusions when one does not know what one is talking about???
Oh, I think I have a notion, I'm just not sure what you think it is, which definitely seems to be different from what I think it is. I'll rephrase my question, how do you define capitalism?

Last edited by ahhell; 7th November 2022 at 08:38 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 09:12 AM   #101
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
•Economic improvement
•Crime reduction
That sounds very wise to me.

We are unfortunately living in a time in which the haters are heaping all the problems of society onto the mystical "others".

An improved system of civic education might help the average Joe and Jill to realize when they are being manipulated.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 09:27 AM   #102
Leumas
Philosopher

Oh, I think I have a notion, I'm just not sure what you think it is, which definitely seems to be different from what I think it is. I'll rephrase my question, how do you define capitalism?

Ok... instead of notions why don't you get the facts instead... and I have already defined it... go read it.... but my definition and your notions are not what is important... it is the fact of what it is that matters.... go find out the FACTS.
Old 7th November 2022, 09:29 AM   #103
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
That sounds very wise to me.

We are unfortunately living in a time in which the haters are heaping all the problems of society onto the mystical "others".

An improved system of civic education might help the average Joe and Jill to realize when they are being manipulated.
All times are that time. Whenever people feel insecure they blame the other. Who we define as the other is all that differs.
Old 7th November 2022, 09:31 AM   #104
Thermal
Suspended

Ok... instead of notions why don't you get the facts instead... and I have already defined it... go read it.... but my definition and your notions are not what is important... it is the fact of what it is that matters.... go find out the FACTS.
C'mon, man. He's saying you seem to be using a different definition than...the rest of the world, and is inviting clarification. Theres no need to clog the thread with repostings and feigned ignorance.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 09:35 AM   #105
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Cmon Leumas, don’t make perfect the enemy of good. It’s not stupid to aim for unattainable goals if getting closer is an improvement.

Aiming for unattainable goals is only stupid if the attempt itself is destructive.

I used to think more optimistically until I lived long enough to understand the REALITY of it all... castles in the sands under the waves and tides of spacetime are a pointless folly.
Old 7th November 2022, 09:39 AM   #106
ahhell
Illuminator

Define Capitalism... then see if all those things fit the definition of Capitalism... regardless of whether you like to call them that or not???

No it is not... it is the consequence of Capitalism.

Hint: labor and humans are a commodity in the Capitalist Market system.... even if some do not want to admit it overtly.

Define revolution... and then ponder over the reason people revolt... and then think about how it is one of the consequences of Capitalism....

Hint: what were the reasons for the Russian, American, French, Spanish etc. etc. etc.
Capitalism by definition is an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

And that is the reason for its numerous eventual disasters.... slavery and serfdoms and monarchies and wars and revolutions and fascisms and interminable sinusoidal market failures and banking failures and grifting and corruption and imperialism and colonialism etc. etc. etc. as history attests.... mainly... it goes with human nature.
Ah, I see, the bit about the political system being controlled by private owners is not typically part of the definition of capitalism but I'll let you have that. That's a non-trivial change in the definition, it basically makes any authoritarian government capitalist.

So, does feudalism count as capitalism?
Was the Roman Empire a capitalist society?
What would you consider the earliest capitalist society?

Last edited by ahhell; 7th November 2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 7th November 2022, 09:41 AM   #107
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Having elections only every four years would go a long way to bring down the temperature that is intentionally been kept at a boil all the time.
Old 7th November 2022, 09:42 AM   #108
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
C'mon, man. He's saying you seem to be using a different definition than...the rest of the world, and is inviting clarification. Theres no need to clog the thread with repostings and feigned ignorance.

Again with not reading posts before commenting...

Capitalism by definition is an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

And that is the reason for its numerous eventual disasters.... slavery and serfdoms and monarchies and wars and revolutions and fascisms and interminable sinusoidal market failures and banking failures and grifting and corruption and imperialism and colonialism etc. etc. etc. as history attests.... mainly... it goes with human nature.
You realize, all of those things predate capitalism by millennia right? And serfdom is pretty clearly the antithesis of a free market.

Its the reason for revolutions? Really?

I had a snarky answer but instead, what is capitalism then?

Last edited by Leumas; 7th November 2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 7th November 2022, 09:49 AM   #109
Thermal
Suspended

Again with not reading posts before commenting...
Again with the endless reposting.

External reality doesn't share the odd sentiment of private sector controlling anything. Thats actually a little closer to corporate-partnered fascism.

A reader can't tell in context if you are saying something at odds with reality or employing some kind of radical hyperbole for rhetorical pizzazz. Asking for clarification is clean pool, and polite to boot.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 09:58 AM   #110
Leumas
Philosopher

Ah, I see, the bit about the political system being controlled by private owners is not typically part of the definition of capitalism but I'll let you have that. That's a non-trivial change in the definition, it basically makes any authoritarian government capitalist.
.... you failed to read that definition altogether the first time... and now you still have not read that definition.... I suggest you read it slowly and carefully.... it does not say the political system is controlled by private owners....

Capitalism by definition is an economic and political system................... in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

And you still have not given YOUR definition... hmmm... I wonder why???

Give your definition... you are still avoiding doing that... and then you asked me for mine even though I already gave it in the very post you initially replied to... and you still did not manage to read it.

I tell you again.... to answer your above 3 questions....

Hint: labor and humans are a commodity in the Capitalist Market system.... even if some do not want to admit it overtly

Last edited by Leumas; 7th November 2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 7th November 2022, 10:29 AM   #111
ahhell
Illuminator

an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state

So, do you think feudalism is a type of capitalism? I don't. I think that definition clearly precluded serfdom as part of a capitalist system as well. Serfs are not owned as they are bound to the land rather than a person. Slavery existed in tribal societies, feudalism, and under god-kings, none of those are capitalist by any reasonable definition.

Last edited by ahhell; 7th November 2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 7th November 2022, 10:54 AM   #112
Leumas
Philosopher

an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state

So is that your definition??? Or are you just repeating mine???

So, do you think feudalism is a type of capitalism?

Define feudalism...

I don't. I think that definition clearly precluded serfdom as part of a capitalist system as well. ...

Hint: labor and humans are a commodity in the Capitalist Market system.... even if some do not want to admit it overtly

... Serfs are not owned as they are bound to the land rather than a person. Slavery existed in tribal societies, feudalism, and under god-kings, none of those are capitalist by any reasonable definition.?

I think you need to Define feudalism...

Hint:
Quote:
Manorialism, also known as the manor system or manorial system, was the method of land ownership (or "tenure") in parts of Europe, notably France and later England, during the Middle Ages. Its defining features included a large, sometimes fortified manor house in which the lord of the manor and his dependents lived and administered a rural estate, and a population of labourers who worked the surrounding land to support themselves and the lord. These labourers fulfilled their obligations with labour time or in-kind produce at first, and later by cash payment as commercial activity increased. Manorialism is sometimes included as part of the feudal system.

Manorialism originated in the Roman villa system of the Late Roman Empire, and was widely practiced in medieval western Europe and parts of central Europe. An essential element of feudal society, manorialism was slowly replaced by the advent of a money-based market economy and new forms of agrarian contract.
Manorialism faded away slowly and piecemeal, along with its most vivid feature in the landscape, the open field system. It outlasted serfdom in the sense that it continued with freehold labourers. As an economic system, it outlasted feudalism, according to Andrew Jones, because "it could maintain a warrior, but it could equally well maintain a capitalist landlord. It could be self-sufficient, yield produce for the market, or it could yield a money rent." The last feudal dues in France were abolished at the French Revolution. In parts of eastern Germany, the Rittergut manors of Junkers remained until World War II.

Now... see if you can spot clues in the above to help you answer

Last edited by Leumas; 7th November 2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 7th November 2022, 11:02 AM   #113
Thermal
Suspended

So is that your definition??? Or are you just repeating mine???
*rubs temples*
Old 7th November 2022, 11:23 AM   #114
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure gratuitous bickering is not one of the top ten concrete steps one can take to eliminate hate and injustice.
Old 7th November 2022, 11:30 AM   #115
Leumas
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure gratuitous bickering is not one of the top ten concrete steps one can take to eliminate hate and injustice.

No... you are right... but reading things and knowing how to read things properly and learning history and FACTS rather than notions... might eventually educate people to be able to understand things and realize what REALITY is rather than notions about it.

Last edited by Leumas; 7th November 2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 7th November 2022, 11:44 AM   #116
sackett
Philosopher

A monk approached the master and asked, "Master, what is real if notions are not real?"

The master replied, "Stand farther away."

The monk moved back. "Like this?"

The master said, "Farther away."

The monk moved well back and called, "How about now, master?"

The master shouted, "Farther! I can still hear you!"

The monk turned around and left. He muttered, "He coulda said please. Or just asked me politely to go away. Jeeze, I'm an okay guy, I don't get in people's face. ******* masters, bunch o' crap, ask me."

Off in the distance, the master returned to his iPad.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 7th November 2022 at 11:45 AM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 11:45 AM   #117
p0lka
Master Poster

Not for all the people in the countries your country exploited and is exploiting and will be exploiting.
My mum is scottish and my dad is irish, Im accidentaly english and there's nothing I can do about it.

IFTFY...
The bit you struck out is enlightening, heres the original

You aren't going to eliminate hate and injustice if you just give up and think the possibility to do so doesn't exist.
Don't do that.
Don't give up

yes... yes...yes...
Yes, thats a possible way to solve the thing. It's not all Childs and Macready.
Old 7th November 2022, 11:46 AM   #118
Lithrael
Master Poster

To circle back around to ideas about stuff to actually do, what kind of pr would we need to get ‘right to a speedy trial’ into the public consciousness as a worthy goal in itself? The justice system really is waaaay more dystopian than it needs to be and it does result in significant downward economic pressure on anyone who is not flush with financial security, guilty or innocent. Hell even the overall relationship with cops would imo be improved if worrying about long entanglements with the court system wasn’t part of everyone’s mental background noise.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2022, 12:28 PM   #119
Leumas
Philosopher

My mum is scottish and my dad is irish, Im accidentaly english and there's nothing I can do about it.

The Scottish regiments in India were one of the tools during the colonialization of India.

Quote:
The Calcutta Scottish was a regiment of volunteers of Scottish descent raised in 1914 as an infantry regiment of the British Indian Army. The regiment formed part of the army reserves of the Auxiliary Force, India (AFI). The regimental dress uniform was Hunting Stewart tartan. The regiment was disbanded following India's independence in 1947

I once had a conversation with an Irish guy who was deriding and fulminating against "mexicans" for not speaking English and insisting that the OFFICIAL and ONLY language of the USA should be English... and was excoriating companies for writing Spanish as well as English packaging information on products. And he cannot speak anything other than English... not even Irish... despite having been born and raised all his life in Ireland.

This is yet another of the innate nastiness of humanity... in all times and all places since time immemorial, the oppressed eventually give up and join their oppressors to help them ravage and oppress the next lot of unfortunate human cattle.... as attested to by the history of humanity... but also by current affairs on the news.

Last edited by Leumas; 7th November 2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 7th November 2022, 12:56 PM   #120
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
A monk ... off in the distance, the master returned to his iPad.

I wonder if he had a little slave boy to hold it for him.... like this ancient Domine... I wonder if she had WiFi???

Last edited by Leumas; 7th November 2022 at 01:20 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics