IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: USA members: Did you vote?
Yes, and I voted democracy, freedom, and reproductive rights! 51 92.73%
Yes, and I voted for the destruction of democracy, serfdom of the workers, and control of women's bodies by old white men! 1 1.82%
No, I'm from Planet X, I couldn't care less, and I deserve whatever I get! 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th November 2022, 09:50 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
USA members: Did you vote?

Mrs. Shemp and I went out for breakfast, then over to the local school to vote. Not much of a line, so it only took a few minutes. Of course, we voted for all the Democratic candidates, and we stopped to wish the Democrats holding campaign signs outside good luck.

Did you vote? Are you going to vote? Or are you an apathetic fool who doesn't think it matters?
Old 8th November 2022, 09:53 AM   #2
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Yes.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 09:54 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Voted early last weekend. Voted for the Democratic for every position. There were a few Propositions and stuff like that on the ballot as well, as is usual in Florida.
Old 8th November 2022, 10:02 AM   #4
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I voted today. However, my vote is not going to make much of a difference. Most of the races were single-candidates, and were those I did not support so I didn't vote for them. There were a lot of local races (school board, for example) where I didn't know enough about the candidates to select one. The last thing I wanted to do was to vote for someone based on seeing advertising signs and have them be running on a position of "anti-indoctrination" or some other stupid nonsense. And I don't have a lot of hope that the ones I did vote for will win, given the area I live in, but I still cast my vote.
Old 8th November 2022, 10:02 AM   #5
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Voted by mail, just like ex-president ***** -His-Pants. For the second time ever, I did not vote for any independent, republican, or myself for any office.

ETA: My eldest informs me that I've received (so far) three votes for sheriff of a certain county in MN.

Last edited by Resume; 8th November 2022 at 10:19 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:08 AM   #6
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Voted by mail, just like ex-president ***** -His-Pants. For the second time ever, I did not vote for any independent, republican, or myself for any office.
Next time I am going to write-in my wife ....
Old 8th November 2022, 10:09 AM   #7
Hercules56
Master Poster

Yes I voted for mostly Democrats but voted for a few Republicans.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:10 AM   #8
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Not yet. Come on, it's still early yet. Got some bickering to do here first.

Gets dark early, so I will swing past my nearly empty polling station after work. Will vote all Blue, not that it matters much. We recently had a scumbag by the name of Jeff Van Drew who we elected in on the Dem ticket, and the SOB turncoated and switched to Repub after he was in office. Some of these pricks will sell their mother's cooch for a buck.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:13 AM   #9
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Yes I voted for mostly Democrats but voted for a few Republicans.
I voted for a republican, but it is a family court judge that I know and have worked with on DCS cases.
Old 8th November 2022, 10:20 AM   #10
crescent
Philosopher

I voted a few weeks ago after the ballots first arrived. Early voting and mail in voting are easy here, all registered voters get a ballot in the mail. Lots of drop boxes for the ballots, mine is at a library a few blocks from my house.

In person voting is still a thing too.

Anyway, it was all pretty easy other than one ballot initiative which I could not make heads nor tails of.

I also was not clear on which judges to retain or not retain so I left those blank so that my uninformed vote didn't cancel out the votes of informed people. Then a week later I saw a reddit thread on the issue that linked to necessary information sources, so I feel pretty bad about missing that vote. Here we vote to retain or reject judges, but don't vote on who would replace any judge who is not retained. So we can fire them through elections, but the appointment of new judges is still relatively non-partisan.

One minor county office had literally nobody running for it, but the position was still on the ballot with a write-in option. I never saw that before.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:24 AM   #11
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I voted a few weeks ago after the ballots first arrived. Early voting and mail in voting are easy here, all registered voters get a ballot in the mail. Lots of drop boxes for the ballots, mine is at a library a few blocks from my house.

In person voting is still a thing too.

Anyway, it was all pretty easy other than one ballot initiative which I could not make heads nor tails of.

I also was not clear on which judges to retain or not retain so I left those blank so that my uninformed vote didn't cancel out the votes of informed people. Then a week later I saw a reddit thread on the issue that linked to necessary information sources, so I feel pretty bad about missing that vote. Here we vote to retain or reject judges, but don't vote on who would replace any judge who is not retained. So we can fire them through elections, but the appointment of new judges is still relatively non-partisan.

One minor county office had literally nobody running for it, but the position was still on the ballot with a write-in option. I never saw that before.
I voted during the weekend, in person. Looks like the dems have a solid lead after early voting but MAGA people vote on election day more often for some reason. Our ballot had about 15 to 20 positions running unopposed. I left all that blank because I was getting tired of bubbling. I voted not to retain any of the judges.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 8th November 2022 at 10:25 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:39 AM   #12
sackett
Philosopher

Mail in sent back weeks ago. All blue. Easy choice, actually, given the grotesques the Michigan repluglicans run. They need to get their heads inspected.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:42 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why is this limited to USA folk only? I've been stuffing ballots into envelopes for nearly two months! I get a dollar* per 1000 envelopes, and I earned nearly 10 whole dollars, less my costs which were $3400.

*current exchange rates means that a dollar will feed the family for a year

Last edited by Darat; 8th November 2022 at 10:44 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:49 AM   #14
Kestrel
Philosopher

Colorado sends a ballot to every registered voter. I filled mine out at my kitchen table and dropped it off two weeks ago. The county elections office web site indicates that it has already been counted.

Every state should be doing elections this way.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 11:39 AM   #15
Hercules56
Master Poster

I did my part to keep the Senate in the hands of the Democrats.

(virtue signaling for the week)

Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 11:48 AM   #16
bobdroege7
Illuminator

I held my nose and voted for Busch, but her first name is Trudy, my favorite CDB song.

Voted all blue, weed, and schools.

**** no for the National Guard to defend my rights.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 01:18 PM   #17
arayder
Illuminator

Oh, yes. . . I voted
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 01:32 PM   #18
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

ETA: My eldest informs me that I've received (so far) three votes for sheriff of a certain county in MN.
I wrote my wife and I in to be a judge in Grand Forks County here in ND.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 02:34 PM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Even though I requested it weeks ago, I did not receive an Absentee Ballot by today. So I went to the polling place and was in and out in a couple minutes.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Mrs. Shemp and I went out for breakfast, then over to the local school to vote. Not much of a line, so it only took a few minutes. Of course, we voted for all the Democratic candidates, and we stopped to wish the Democrats holding campaign signs outside good luck.

Did you vote? Are you going to vote? Or are you an apathetic fool who doesn't think it matters?
Were they further than 100 feet away? I was wondering about situations in other parts of the country where the contention might be a lot stronger.
Old 8th November 2022, 02:36 PM   #20
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Did you vote?
And, if so, how often?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 02:45 PM   #21
Carlotta
Muse

We just got back. There was only one race, between the Democratic incumbent and a candidate who wouldn't say he was Republican during the campaign. Marked R on the ballot. Voted D. That was quick and easy.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 03:19 PM   #22
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

We got back an hour ago. I got home from work early but my wife insisted on doing a quick shopping trip so I ate lunch. Then she was gone almost ninety minutes!

Yes, we voted for the New York Blue Team including Letitia James. YAY Letitia! The polling station was actually kind of crowded. More than usual that is, except for those years when the presidential election is being held. Actually, in 2020 my wife and I voted early, on the Sunday prior, at a polling station set up in a city library. We stood on line for two-and-a-half-hours and it was worth every second.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 03:23 PM   #23
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Colorado sends a ballot to every registered voter. I filled mine out at my kitchen table and dropped it off two weeks ago. The county elections office web site indicates that it has already been counted.

Every state should be doing elections this way.

Making it fast and easy to vote increases the likelihood of the wrong people voting. What kind of American are you?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 03:31 PM   #24
Hercules56
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Making it fast and easy to vote increases the likelihood of the wrong people voting. What kind of American are you?
How do you feel about allowing everyone to request a mail ballot?
Old 8th November 2022, 04:10 PM   #25
angrysoba
Philosophile

Not American but I agree with the importance of voting so I voted Planet X in your poll.
Old 8th November 2022, 04:22 PM   #26
pzkpfw
Thinker

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Not American but I agree with the importance of voting so I voted Planet X in your poll.
Yours is the most accurate vote.

"No, I'm from Planet X, I couldn't care less, and I deserve whatever I get!"

The U.S. electoral system is from planet X and they are turning their nation into planet X.
pzkpfw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 04:26 PM   #27
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Of course, we voted for all the Democratic candidates, and we stopped to wish the Democrats holding campaign signs outside good luck.
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Were they further than 100 feet away? I was wondering about situations in other parts of the country where the contention might be a lot stronger.
I dropped off my ballot at lunch and noticed several signs for a particular candidate that were close to the polling place. I walked over to remove one but I couldn't remember what the legal permitted distance was, so I left it up. Back in my car I looked up the law and was surprised it was only 100 feet. That is really not far enough.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 04:31 PM   #28
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

In Vermont we get mail in ballots automatically, and save a little postage by putting in the drop box at the town hall. Too cold and wet for mules up here, so it all works. Sent ours in a while ago, and am now studiously avoiding paying any attention to voting results tonight.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 04:38 PM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Even though I requested it weeks ago, I did not receive an Absentee Ballot by today. So I went to the polling place and was in and out in a couple minutes.

The Democrats, being law-abiding Americans, will have been holding their signs at whatever distance is replied by law. Republican Fascists will have been holding their AR-15's right in the face of anyone who looked vaguely brown or educated.
Old 8th November 2022, 04:46 PM   #30
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Should we have a problem with it?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 04:55 PM   #31
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Like the vast majority of Americans I don't live in a contested area, so it was my primary vote that counted and the general is a foregone conclusion. But when I received the application in the mail my "I Voted" sticker was already attached to the explanatory paperwork and really, what was I supposed to do with that? Cut it out and reglue the backing? So I had to take my ballot to a polling location anyway and drop it off there to get a new one.

I'm still jealous of the Ulster County sticker. The kids are alright.
https://elections.ulstercountyny.gov...icker-contest/
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 04:55 PM   #32
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
In Vermont we get mail in ballots automatically, and save a little postage by putting in the drop box at the town hall. Too cold and wet for mules up here, so it all works. Sent ours in a while ago, and am now studiously avoiding paying any attention to voting results tonight.
That is how we do it in Oregon also. Voted solidly Dems except for a local city rep who is Republican but an old style moderate.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 05:04 PM   #33
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I voted for the actual Pennsylvanian for Senate.

Old 8th November 2022, 05:07 PM   #34
Leumas
Philosopher

Nicely worded choices...
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 05:07 PM   #35
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Yeccchhh! Totally annoying. Went to the local high school, where it immediately became apparent that something was wrong. I got my ballot quickly, filled it out with any problem, and then got into a line that snaked around the gym, waiting to put the ballot into the reader. This, it became apparent, was the bottleneck as it was rejecting 90% of the ballots. According to the news this was the case in about 20% of all precincts. I stood in line for an hour (by an odd coincidence I was right next to my neighbors so we at least could chat a bit), before deciding to cast my vote "manually"--sticking it in the unread side of the reader to be checked later.

Katie Hobbs was running this election; suffice to say that if I had my vote back I cast it for Lake. This fiasco is just going to fuel conspiracy theorists unless (as is completely possible) there is a landslide for the GOP. At this point the worst possible outcome is for Hobbs to win narrowly.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 05:38 PM   #36
kevbo
Critical Thinker

The wife and I filled out our ballots last night and dropped them off on our way to lunch today. Oregon really has one of the best systems for voting. Other states should take a look at it. We both voted straight blue. The measures took a little time.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 06:30 PM   #37
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Voted early a couple of weeks ago. Walked right in and voted straight blue.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 07:08 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Next time I am going to write-in my wife ....
Doesn't she already hold the highest office in your home?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 07:11 PM   #39
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sent in my automatically received mail-in ballot. So did my husband and daughter. All straight blue.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 07:19 PM   #40
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Does requesting a mail ballot mean they get sent one?

Does getting sent one mean they voted at all?

Does getting sent one mean they voted Democrat?

Does getting sent one mean they posted it/dropped it in a ballot box properly?

Does getting sent one mean that vote was done properly according to the state voting regulations and gets counted?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics