IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: USA members: Did you vote?
Yes, and I voted democracy, freedom, and reproductive rights! 51 92.73%
Yes, and I voted for the destruction of democracy, serfdom of the workers, and control of women's bodies by old white men! 1 1.82%
No, I'm from Planet X, I couldn't care less, and I deserve whatever I get! 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th November 2022, 07:27 PM   #41
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
How do you feel about allowing everyone to request a mail ballot?
Suits me fine. In Vermont no request is necessary. Here if you're on the voter rolls you get a ballot in the mail, and can either mail it, drop it, skip it and vote in person, or skip it and not vote. Works well.

e.t.a. in case one wonders, since towns know who is registered, the mailing gives a pretty good way of keeping track of the ballots. Every mailed or dropped ballot is sealed in an envelope, signed by the voter, before enclosing in the second envelope. If you show up on voting day you must swear not to have voted by mail, and of course if you did, it will be on record, since ballots must be properly signed and sealed or they are thrown out.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)

Last edited by bruto; 8th November 2022 at 07:31 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 08:54 PM   #42
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Amazing the number of constitutional amendments to vote on.
I voted for the right to work as opposed to than the freedom to starve.
I also voted against allowing slavery in the state. Of course,
if I ever get asked in a poll, "What did slavery every do to you?"
I'll have to think about that one for a while.
Old 8th November 2022, 09:25 PM   #43
Cosmo
Radioactive Rationalist

I voted by mail weeks ago. California makes this very easy, as every registered voter automatically receives a mail-in ballot.

My county also provides a ballot-tracking service. It emailed me twice: when my ballot was collected by USPS, and again after it was received, validated, and counted.

It's safe, easy, and secure. I really think every state should offer something like this, and perhaps they would if they wanted to make voting universally accessible, but I suspect some states have other goals.

I voted blue all the way, but as a Californian, my vote doesn't matter
Cosmo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 09:54 PM   #44
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. I also passed on this laughable "there's my opinion and the wrong one" poll, despite that brilliant attitude being all the rage on both "sides."
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2022, 10:21 PM   #45
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Yes. I also passed on this laughable "there's my opinion and the wrong one" poll, despite that brilliant attitude being all the rage on both "sides."
Fine, but did you vote?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 10:39 AM   #46
Doubt
Philosopher

I voted a month ago while I had COVID and walked the ballot to the drop box.
Old 9th November 2022, 10:44 AM   #47
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"The two ballot choices were 'Everyone gets a puppy' and 'Everyone gets kicked in the balls' so I voted for getting kicked in the balls because I resented everyone acting like getting a puppy was the better choice" is such a healthy, mature, and adult mentality to have.
Old 9th November 2022, 11:05 AM   #48
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"The two ballot choices were 'Everyone gets a puppy' and 'Everyone gets kicked in the balls' so I voted for getting kicked in the balls because I resented everyone acting like getting a puppy was the better choice" is such a healthy, mature, and adult mentality to have.

I always vote for the puppy, but the puppy never shows up. Until I read about how the .0001% each got a million more puppies that year. If that's the way what we vote for is going to be distributed, I do have some sympathy for people who think maybe it should be the kicks in the balls.
Old 9th November 2022, 11:07 AM   #49
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I always vote for the puppy, but the puppy never shows up. Until I read about how the .0001% each got a million more puppies that year. If that's the way what we vote for is going to be distributed, I do have some sympathy for people who think maybe it should be the kicks in the balls.
Yes the puppy ******* does. Dropping the metaphor the progressive lie that Biden can't get anything done is on par with any lie the Republicans say.

He hasn't snapped his finger and made everything better by magic like the Progressive continue to believe will happen if Sanders or the Squad or whoever are put in charge.

Biden lives in the real world and has to actually do his governing there.
Old 9th November 2022, 11:08 AM   #50
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
e.t.a. in case one wonders, since towns know who is registered, the mailing gives a pretty good way of keeping track of the ballots. Every mailed or dropped ballot is sealed in an envelope, signed by the voter, before enclosing in the second envelope. If you show up on voting day you must swear not to have voted by mail, and of course if you did, it will be on record, since ballots must be properly signed and sealed or they are thrown out.
Is that actually how your ballot envelopes work? Here in Washington we sign the outer one, which is verified against the voter rolls, then the inner one, which has no identifying information, is separated to preserve anonymity.
Old 9th November 2022, 11:11 AM   #51
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Is that actually how your ballot envelopes work? Here in Washington we sign the outer one, which is verified against the voter rolls, then the inner one, which has no identifying information, is separated to preserve anonymity.
Same here. We fill out the ballot and enclose it a "sleeve" which you then seal and sign, which then goes into the envelope.

The envelope (and ironically the actual ballot itself) has no IDing info on it.
Old 9th November 2022, 02:03 PM   #52
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I voted in person yesterday. Maryland makes it easy to vote either by mail or use a drop box. The polling place is on my way home so I just stopped in yesterday.
Old 9th November 2022, 04:20 PM   #53
Ryan O'Dine
ODíing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Voted by mail a couple weeks back. Single-handedly put Fetterman and Shapiro into office. You all owe me your lives, your futures, your everything. Cash and jewelry accepted. I know you're hiding that ring, just give it to me.
Old 9th November 2022, 04:40 PM   #54
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Voted by mail, just like ex-president ***** -His-Pants. For the second time ever, I did not vote for any independent, republican, or myself for any office.

ETA: My eldest informs me that I've received (so far) three votes for sheriff of a certain county in MN.
Woot!
Old 10th November 2022, 12:12 AM   #55
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Here the mailing envelope is anonymous, and the inner envelope with the ballot has the signed certificate. The ballot itself is entirely anonymous, and once out of its envelope it goes into the ballot box. I don't see much problem of anonymity here. If the outer envelopes were signed, a crooked clerk or postal worker could bin them before anyone else sees or records them. Here, they're not opened until the poll workers are together, and if the outer envelopes are kept after opening, the number of inner envelopes must correspond. If the inner envelope is improperly filled out, and it's too late to contact the voter and get a correction, it's not opened, and that ballot is spoiled and not voted, but they can still tally inner envelopes against the total received. Once received, they're presumably checked against the voter list and then put in the ballot box (paper ballots are used here anyway), and when it's all done the checkers can tally the number of ballots received against the list.

Knowing whose votes are going into the box by seeing the certificate on the envelope is not really any different from live voting, in which we identify ourselves aloud before dropping the ballots in the box.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)

Last edited by bruto; 10th November 2022 at 12:16 AM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2022, 07:20 AM   #56
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

party time

I voted against attack ads.
Old 13th November 2022, 07:27 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Wait.......there was an election?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics