IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th November 2022, 06:53 PM   #1
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Musk Reinstates Trump on Twitter

Musk has reinstated Trump's Twitter account. Hold on folks; it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I think Truth Social, such as it is, will disappear with Twitter becoming
just another Trump fan site. Sponsors will continue to desert it with the exception of My Pillow and other right-wing companies and I expect a lot of non-Trumpers leaving. What say you?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 06:55 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Why does Trump need Twitter when he's got THE TRUTH!!!???
Old 19th November 2022, 07:05 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh no.

Anyway.
Old 19th November 2022, 07:24 PM   #4
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Why does Trump need Twitter when he's got THE TRUTH!!!???
Musk screwed up big time buying Twitter. People are leaving in droves.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 07:28 PM   #5
Warp12
King of Kings

Quote:
The final poll results on Saturday night showed 51.8% in favor and 48.2% opposed. The poll included 15 million votes.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/19/busin...ate/index.html

It was the will of the people.

Last edited by Warp12; 19th November 2022 at 07:30 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 07:30 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

A victory for free speech, however despised the speaker.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 07:34 PM   #7
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Strange doings. CBS News reports:
Quote:
Musk made the announcement this evening after holding a poll that asked Twitter users to click "yes" or "no" on whether Trump's account should be reinstated. The "yes" vote won, with 51.2%. CBS News link
I can understand Musk wanting trump back. At this point in time Musk needs traffic. He'd probably accept Adolph Hitler if he was still around. ("Yes, I realize he's controversial, but I believe his voice needs to be heard, not silenced.") But does trump want Twitter back? That remains to be seen.
Quote:
On Saturday, during a video speech to a Republican Jewish group meeting in Las Vegas, Trump said that he was aware of Musk's poll but that he saw "a lot of problems at Twitter," according to Bloomberg. "I hear we're getting a big vote to also go back on Twitter. I don't see it because I don't see any reason for it," Trump said, Bloomberg reported. "It may make it, it may not make it," he added, apparently referring to Twitter's recent internal upheavals.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 07:36 PM   #8
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump has previously said he would remain on his platform, Truth Social, instead of rejoining Twitter,
Wanna bet?

So the voting was open about a day. Yep...that's going to be some kind of reliable poll.
Musk wants Trump back on Twitter because he thinks it will revive the sinking ship.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 19th November 2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 19th November 2022, 07:38 PM   #9
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
So the voting was open about a day. Yep...that's going to be some kind of reliable poll.

Well, 15 million votes cast overall. Seems solid to me.

The interesting part is how this puts Trump in an odd spot, after having driven to have a whole new network created to counter Twitter.

Last edited by Warp12; 19th November 2022 at 07:53 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 07:39 PM   #10
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Musk screwed up big time buying Twitter. People are leaving in droves.
Iíve worked at a couple of different companies that failed. What Iíve heard coming out of Twitter is an absurd caricature of the stupid Iíve witnessed.
Old 19th November 2022, 07:47 PM   #11
8enotto
Master Poster

It's just putting all the things of a similar value in one place.

Each one of us can decide what that value is.

Eventually Musk has to fix it so it's profitable or shut it down. He won't let it bleed him of precious money forever.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 07:54 PM   #12
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Right! Because, thank goodness, at last everyone can hear again from Trump.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 19th November 2022 at 08:08 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 08:02 PM   #13
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The official poll.

Deadline dot com reports:
Quote:
Musk had previously said that he would end Twitterís ban on Trump when he took ownership. But when that happened, Musk then said that he was setting up a content moderation council, with no reinstatements until it convened. Itís unclear what happened to that panel or if it ever was formed. Deadline dot com link
Probably none of them still work for Twitter.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 08:10 PM   #14
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
It's just putting all the things of a similar value in one place.

Each one of us can decide what that value is.
Without any context or background, thatís a recipe for misinformation.

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Eventually Musk has to fix it so it's profitable or shut it down. He won't let it bleed him of precious money forever.
No, not forever. I guess how long depends on his pride/ego, because he could finance a money hole for quite a while.
Old 19th November 2022, 08:23 PM   #15
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

If Musk actually believe in free speech, he wouldnít have suspended all those parody accounts. Conservatives donít believe in free speech and never have.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 08:40 PM   #16
8enotto
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Without any context or background, thatís a recipe for misinformation.

No, not forever. I guess how long depends on his pride/ego, because he could finance a money hole for quite a while.
Sadly that is exactly what I expect of twatter in a short time. Tons of misinformation and a really heavy list to starboard to the point of taking on water.

In my worthless opinion it and FB are little more that dumpster fires that mine data endlessly. Others like my mom love it, she has no qualms in taking it at face value as a social platform, damn the hidden features.

I won't be on it to watch whatever happens.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 08:56 PM   #17
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, free speech means the government can't prevent your speech or punish you for it. It does not mean that any outlet or platform is required or obligated to publish any rant any lunatic tosses over the electronic transom, especially when the public interest and common sense lean in the other direction.

How 'bout a compromise? Let Trump buy ads on Twitter, clearly labeled, cash upfront.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 09:00 PM   #18
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He's going to regret that.
Old 19th November 2022, 09:07 PM   #19
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He's going to regret that.

How so?
Old 19th November 2022, 09:13 PM   #20
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
How so?
Probably because Trump's followers on twitter are largely composed of bots and MAGAchud, and advertisers probably don't want to associate with either.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 09:26 PM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

How so?
Because Trump is incapable of gratitude or restraint.

He WILL break the TOS, and at some point, Musk WILL have to moderate his posts.
And then Trump will call him it woke, MSM censorship and tell his followers to hate Musk.

There was nothing to gain for Musk by reinstating him, but it's now inevitable that thier will be plenty to lose.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 19th November 2022 at 09:28 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 09:30 PM   #22
Warp12
King of Kings

Because Trump is incapable of gratitude or restraint.

He WILL break the TOS, and at some point, Musk WILL have to moderate his posts.
And then Trump will call him it woke, MSM censorship and tell his followers to hate Musk.

There was nothing to gain for Musk by reinstating him, but it's now inevitable that thier will be plenty to lose.

Even if all of that eventually happens, I don't see a downside for the platform.
Old 19th November 2022, 09:45 PM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Advertisers don't like it when their messages appear next to thinly veiled calls for violence and support for white nationalism.
Old 19th November 2022, 09:48 PM   #24
Warp12
King of Kings

Advertisers don't like it when their messages appear next to thinly veiled calls for violence and support for white nationalism.

But they do like money. It isn't quite that cut and dry, imo.

It also depends on how much the drama draws in other users, even non-Trump supporters.

Last edited by Warp12; 19th November 2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 19th November 2022, 10:09 PM   #25
johnny karate

But they do like money. It isn't quite that cut and dry, imo.
It actually is that cut and dry. Itís why Truth Social canít attract decent advertisers.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 10:11 PM   #26
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It actually is that cut and dry. It’s why Truth Social can’t attract decent advertisers.

The difference is, Truth Social is primarily Trump supporters and such. Twitter is much more diverse and well-established with regards to its users.

If Twitter had not banned Trump, it would not have sunk the company by leaving him on.

Last edited by Warp12; 19th November 2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 19th November 2022, 10:20 PM   #27
johnny karate

The difference is, Truth Social is primarily Trump supporters and such. Twitter is much more diverse and well-established with regards to its users.

If Twitter had not banned Trump, it would not have sunk the company by leaving him on.
It might have. Thatís why he was banned in the place. He was bad for business. Considering heís gone full QAnon on Truth Social - which, again, advertisers avoid like the plague - itís clear Twitter made the right decision.
Old 19th November 2022, 10:22 PM   #28
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It might have. That’s why he was banned in the place. He was bad for business. Considering he’s gone full QAnon on Truth Social - which, again, advertisers avoid like the plague - it’s clear Twitter made the right decision.

Well, we will see, won't we?

Look, nobody gives a rat's ass about Twitter's financials on this matter. A lot of people just are up-in-arms because they can't silence Trump. They fear him having a voice.

That's the real truth of the matter.
Old 19th November 2022, 10:22 PM   #29
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Several Advertisers have already made plans to suspend twitter advertising in the event of Trump being reinstated.

https://www.thestreet.com/technology...ccount-revival

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2022, 10:25 PM   #30
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Look, nobody gives a rat's ass about Twitter's financials on this matter. A lot of people just are up-in-arms because they can't silence Trump. They fear him having a voice.

They fear him having a voice because the last time he was on twitter he used it in a plot to overthrow the government, in a plot that saw several deaths and severe injuries.

Sounds like something a person would want to avoid.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th November 2022, 10:26 PM   #31
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Several Advertisers have already made plans to suspend twitter advertising in the event of Trump being reinstated.

https://www.thestreet.com/technology...ccount-revival

Oh, I'm sure some will. Probably Gillette will be the first, lol.
Old 19th November 2022, 10:31 PM   #32
johnny karate

Oh, I'm sure some will. Probably Gillette will be the first, lol.
Hey everyone, Warp12 is ďsure some willĒ. Itís for insightful and informed analysis like this that we all come here.
Old 19th November 2022, 11:13 PM   #33
8enotto
Master Poster

Trump hasn't shut his mouth about anything yet. He simply will not be silenced. Even if lawyers tell him it's best to shut up.

In the end the almighty dollar will have a big say in whatever happens. Musk isn't going to lose money very long for him.
Old 19th November 2022, 11:55 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, 15 million votes cast overall. Seems solid to me.

The interesting part is how this puts Trump in an odd spot, after having driven to have a whole new network created to counter Twitter.
Yeah, I'm sure it was all on the up and up...especially since Musk stated last May that he'd reinstate Trump if he bought Twitter.
Old 20th November 2022, 12:10 AM   #35
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

it would be comically if it wasn't so sad and revealing that some people think it's a win for Free Speech if said Free Speech is the result of an arbitrary Vote or an arbitrary decision by a single person (either is fine with them), and not the Rule of Law.
Old 20th November 2022, 12:14 AM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Has, or can, anyone verify that the vote was what Musk says it was? Not that he'd lie in order to do exactly what he already said he was going to do.
Old 20th November 2022, 12:33 AM   #37
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

How is it a victory for free speech? No part of the government was trying to hush up Trump's insane ramblings.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 12:35 AM   #38
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
How is it a victory for free speech? No part of the government was trying to hush up Trump's insane ramblings.
if Free Speech victory depends on what a billionaire decides, we are all doomed.
Old 20th November 2022, 12:39 AM   #39
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

if Free Speech victory depends on what a billionaire decides, we are all doomed.
Ye're all doomed anyway, the US has been trying to work with a constitution that hasn't been fit for purpose since 1861at the very latest.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:18 AM   #40
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I can't see Trump returning to Twitter because that'd be like admitting his platform isn't cutting it for him, and we know he'll never acknowledge making any kind of mistake.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics