IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 20th November 2022, 12:36 PM   #1
arayder
Illuminator
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,156
Am I wrong to be freightened of this?

The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.

Am I paranoid?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 12:39 PM   #2
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate
 
Guybrush Threepwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: An Uaimh
Posts: 3,477
Yep.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 12:51 PM   #3
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,224
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.

Am I paranoid?
I wouldn't call it a nightmare scenario, but it is not inconceivable either. I also don't think anyone would be caught as flatfooted as they were on Jan 6. We know what Trump is and what he's capable of.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 12:59 PM   #4
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,027
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Am I paranoid?
Who cares if it does happen, in the grand scheme? It wouldn't change anything about the outcome of the trial; at worst it would delay his sentencing, I suppose. I would be more concerned about the overall outcome if he isn't convicted, probably.

Are you paranoid? No, I don't think so. Do I think it is way premature to be concerned about such things? Yes.
__________________
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.

Last edited by Warp12; 20th November 2022 at 01:01 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 01:15 PM   #5
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,974
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.

Am I paranoid?
A/ A courthouse (federal or state) is much smaller and much easier to defend than the U.S. Capitol, and security measures would be taken well in advance.
B/ The sentencing could be delayed as needed or transferred on short or no notice to any other courthouse in the jurisdiction. It might even be conducted by video link.

Last edited by Bob001; 20th November 2022 at 01:25 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 01:43 PM   #6
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Who cares if it does happen, in the grand scheme?
I'll bet the family of the potential next Brian Sicknick would care.

While I agree that it seems unlikely, but by no means impossible, how in Ed's name do you go from showing grave concern for the plight of children being exposed to a nonexistent pornography problem in public libraries, to "Meh... Who gives a ****?" regarding the notion of mentally and emotionally handicapped MAGA CHUDs showing up to a courthouse armed to the teeth and foaming at the mouth to live out their facist revolutionary fantasies of seizing power and installing their god on a golden throne?
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 01:45 PM   #7
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,027
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I'll bet the family of the potential next Brian Sicknick would care.

While I agree that it seems unlikely, but by no means impossible, how in Ed's name do you go from showing grave concern for the plight of children being exposed to a nonexistent pornography problem in public libraries, to "Meh... Who gives a ****?" regarding the notion of mentally and emotionally handicapped MAGA CHUDs showing up to a courthouse armed to the teeth and foaming at the mouth to live out their facist revolutionary fantasies of seizing power and installing their god on a golden throne?

Because I am making the reasonable assumption that precautions will be taken to mitigate any such action. Even at worst, it would not significantly affect the outcome of the trial.

Obviously this has nothing to do with the concept of age-appropriate materials being distributed to children at public libraries. We already have a thread for that debate.
__________________
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.

Last edited by Warp12; 20th November 2022 at 01:49 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:10 PM   #8
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,001
I seriously doubt that Trump will ever be convicted.

Not that I don't think he's done anything illegsl. I just don't think he'll ever be held to account for anything.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:19 PM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 33,268
I think Warp is rignt insofar as its not affecting the big scheme of things and the ultimate outcome of the trial.

But I think even if the ranting of a dangerous demagogue stirring up violent rebellion and lawlessness does not affect the big scheme of things, it's a bad thing by itself. How big a scheme do we concern ourselves with, anyway? Humanity will muddle on even if atom bombs fall on Kiev, and the universe itself will muddle on even if the earth blinks out of existence. But we're part of a nation and a society, and, insignificant though all our actions might prove in the great big scheme, I think we should care.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:38 PM   #10
arayder
Illuminator
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,156
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
. . . how in Ed's name do you go from showing grave concern for the plight of children being exposed to a nonexistent pornography problem in public libraries, to "Meh... Who gives a ****?" regarding the notion of mentally and emotionally handicapped MAGA CHUDs showing up to a courthouse armed to the teeth and foaming at the mouth to live out their facist revolutionary fantasies of seizing power and installing their god on a golden throne?
Different perps.

Last edited by arayder; 20th November 2022 at 02:39 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:39 PM   #11
Gulliver Foyle
Muse
 
Gulliver Foyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cork baaaiii
Posts: 666
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.

Am I paranoid?
If it happened again, I don't think the government would hold back. A dictator wannabe can survive one Beer Hall Putsch type event, but not two.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:51 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 56,777
Just shoot the bastards if they try it.,
Ypu can bet security is going to be really tight.
IE, pretty much the same as Guillvers.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 20th November 2022 at 02:52 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:57 PM   #13
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Because I am making the reasonable assumption that precautions will be taken to mitigate any such action.
What action could be taken to mitigate any harm done by a crowd of the armed and dumb?

Quote:
Even at worst, it would not significantly affect the outcome of the trial.
That's not what I'm concerned about. I'm not worried about a bunch of Gravy SEALs actually succeeding in affecting the outcome of the trial. I'm worried about a bunch of Gravy SEALs who think they can. We've already seen Trump's eagerness to stir up aggression and violence in his supporters. If he felt he was going to be convicted, I see no reason to think he wouldn't repeat the same incendiary tactics. If he succeeded in stirring up even a small fraction of the sorts of moronic nut-jobs who stormed the Capitol in an armed insurrection then the potential for violence and death, even if they're overwhelmed by law enforcement, remains all too real. And the possibility of another domestic terrorism act, like the 1995 attack in Oklahoma City, is not zero either. Even if Trump wasn't to implore his followers to aid him, the possibility that someone could strike back at what they perceive to be the agencies responsible for his prosecution could be targeted. I see no justification for dismissing the possibility of violence from Trump zealots as something not worth concern. And that's what I'm addressing. Not the likelihood of any such attempts succeeding, but your implication that it's not worth caring about. The insurrectionists on Jan. 6 last year didn't succeed, but people still died.

Quote:
Obviously this has nothing to do with the concept of age-appropriate materials being distributed to children at public libraries. We already have a thread for that debate.
The only way to make it an actual debate would be to go back to that thread and provide some evidence that the claimed threat actually exists. Same goes for teachers "pushing freakish liberal values". It won't happen.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 02:59 PM   #14
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Am I paranoid?
I sure as Hell hope so.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 03:08 PM   #15
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,027
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
What action could be taken to mitigate any harm done by a crowd of the armed and dumb?

I guess you're right. There is nothing we can do. Darn.
__________________
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 03:29 PM   #16
arayder
Illuminator
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,156
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I guess you're right. There is nothing we can do. Darn.
Oh, that's good one. Quote the other guy out of context, add a funny little icon and leave like you just hit a walk off home run.

I'm gonna' write that one down in my notes!
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 03:41 PM   #17
arayder
Illuminator
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,156
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
That's not what I'm concerned about. I'm not worried about a bunch of Gravy SEALs actually succeeding in affecting the outcome of the trial. I'm worried about a bunch of Gravy SEALs who think they can. We've already seen Trump's eagerness to stir up aggression and violence in his supporters. If he felt he was going to be convicted, I see no reason to think he wouldn't repeat the same incendiary tactics. If he succeeded in stirring up even a small fraction of the sorts of moronic nut-jobs who stormed the Capitol in an armed insurrection then the potential for violence and death, even if they're overwhelmed by law enforcement, remains all too real. And the possibility of another domestic terrorism act, like the 1995 attack in Oklahoma City, is not zero either. Even if Trump wasn't to implore his followers to aid him, the possibility that someone could strike back at what they perceive to be the agencies responsible for his prosecution could be targeted. I see no justification for dismissing the possibility of violence from Trump zealots as something not worth concern. And that's what I'm addressing. Not the likelihood of any such attempts succeeding, but your implication that it's not worth caring about. The insurrectionists on Jan. 6 last year didn't succeed, but people still died.
I also have concerns about witness and jury tampering.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 03:59 PM   #18
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 28,817
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I seriously doubt that Trump will ever be convicted.

Not that I don't think he's done anything illegsl. I just don't think he'll ever be held to account for anything.
Agreed, though I hope I'm wrong. The US legal system seems perfect for someone like him to spin it out for years (and years and ...)
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:22 PM   #19
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,371
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Because I am making the reasonable assumption that precautions will be taken to mitigate any such action. Even at worst, it would not significantly affect the outcome of the trial.

Obviously this has nothing to do with the concept of age-appropriate materials being distributed to children at public libraries. We already have a thread for that debate.
The OP mentioned sentencing, not a trial.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:22 PM   #20
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,027
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The OP mentioned sentencing, not a trial.

As I already mentioned in my first post...at worst, it delays sentencing.
__________________
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:25 PM   #21
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I guess you're right. There is nothing we can do. Darn.
Maybe you could actually answer the question?

What am I saying? That's not your style.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:35 PM   #22
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,027
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
What action could be taken to mitigate any harm done by a crowd of the armed and dumb?
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Maybe you could actually answer the question?

I consider the question to be so absurd as not to justify an answer. It seems almost rhetorical in nature; obviously there are many high-risk security scenarios, and with proper planning the risks are mitigated. From a historical perspective, this one would be small-potatoes and not unexpected.
__________________
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.

Last edited by Warp12; 20th November 2022 at 04:40 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:44 PM   #23
arayder
Illuminator
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,156
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The OP mentioned sentencing, not a trial.
The scenario goes to Trump being at the end of his rope much like he was on Jan. 6.

At trial he and his lawyer could do all sorts of things which they would hope might get him off the hook.

But if it started going bad I could see Trump working on a plan for escape or flight. The rescue by a maga mob option might be the idea of the maga boys but as a workable solution, getting DJT to safety if they spring him seems doubtful.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:45 PM   #24
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
As I already mentioned in my first post...at worst, it delays sentencing.
Come on! Where's that imagination that conjured up scenes of librarians handing copies of the Karma Sutra to nine-year-old children? If you can conjure up that scenario, certainly you can imagine a far less fanciful scenario where a moron who thinks the election was stolen from his savior and has spent more money on assault rifles and ammunition than on housing and food for the last six or more years might drive to Georgia and park a couple of blocks from the courthouse to fire a couple of magazines at it, possibly killing innocent people, or packs a few steel drums with fertilizer and diesel and drives to the nearest Federal building to make a name for himself. It kind of seems like that might be worse than a delay in sentencing. But that's just me.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:54 PM   #25
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I consider the question to be so absurd as not to justify an answer.
You say that often when you've cornered yourself with statements that you can't defend with an actual argument.

You said:
Originally Posted by Warp12
Because I am making the reasonable assumption that precautions will be taken to mitigate any such action.
And I asked:
What action could be taken to mitigate any harm done by a crowd of the armed and dumb?

If your assumption is reasonable, then you should be able to offer a reason. The fact that you haven't offered any reason, and have rather resorted to an attempt at deflection by theatrically dismissing a question that directly follows from your statement as "absurd" tells me that you can't offer a reason.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 04:57 PM   #26
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,027
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
If your assumption is reasonable, then you should be able to offer a reason. The fact that you haven't offered any reason, and have rather resorted to an attempt at deflection by theatrically dismissing a question that directly follows from your statement as "absurd" tells me that you can't offer a reason.

But, I did offer a reason for my position. In the same very post you quoted.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
...obviously there are many high-risk security scenarios, and with proper planning the risks are mitigated. From a historical perspective, this one would be small-potatoes and not unexpected.

Let me make this clear: if I don't feel an argument justifies a response, you can generally expect there will not be one. In light of that, I think I have went above and beyond in this case.
__________________
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:02 PM   #27
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
But, I did offer a reason for my position. In the same very post you quoted.




Let me make this clear: if I don't feel an argument justifies a response, you can generally expect there will not be one. In light of that, I think I have went above and beyond in this case.


"How can we prevent this?"

"By having a plan to prevent it."

Again,
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:08 PM   #28
Warp12
King of Kings
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 7,027
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post


"How can we prevent this?"

"By having a plan to prevent it."

Again,

This is funny...in the sense that you apparently expect Warp12 to come up with a risk assessment and mitigation plan for such a thing. There are very highly paid security experts, and highly skilled security personnel who work in tandem on such matters. What is laughable about "having a plan to prevent it"? Nothing.

I won't be addressing this any further, as I feel your position cannot be taken seriously.
__________________
Cancel my subscription to the resurrection.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:31 PM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 35,161
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.

Am I paranoid?
Perhaps, as to the final question.
But I can only hope that's what comes to pass.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 05:44 PM   #30
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 47,814
For now I think I'd be, at best, no more than 'mildly concerned', and under no present circumstance should you allow yourself to be genuinely 'frightened' by the prospect of such an event taking place at some undetermined point in the future.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 06:09 PM   #31
arayder
Illuminator
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,156
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
. . . certainly you can imagine a far less fanciful scenario where a moron who thinks the election was stolen from his savior and has spent more money on assault rifles and ammunition than on housing and food for the last six or more years might drive to Georgia and park a couple of blocks from the courthouse to fire a couple of magazines at it, possibly killing innocent people, or packs a few steel drums with fertilizer and diesel and drives to the nearest Federal building to make a name for himself. It kind of seems like that might be worse than a delay in sentencing. But that's just me.
Yeah, I think lone wolf scenario is a possibility.

The challenge for the authorities is to be ready for everything and bat 1,000%. They can't afford to be wrong once.

I say "is" because we can easily imagine that judges, DOJ officials and others are already in the crosshairs of some of those ultra maga nuts.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 06:14 PM   #32
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,168
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This is funny...in the sense that you apparently expect Warp12 to come up with a risk assessment and mitigation plan for such a thing. There are very highly paid security experts, and highly skilled security personnel who work in tandem on such matters. What is laughable about "having a plan to prevent it"? Nothing.

I won't be addressing this any further, as I feel your position cannot be taken seriously.
A certain Neil Innes song comes to mind.

The fact is that there simply is no way to mitigate the risk of any acts of violence from being perpetrated by one or more zealot followers of a sociopolitical cult bent on enacting revenge against what they see as a transcendent evil. If it was as easy as you seem to think it is we wouldn't be keeping a running tally of mass shootings in this country. I'd chalk your insistence that there's no possibility of anything worse than a delay of trial up to naïveté, but I honestly think it's just obstinacy.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 06:22 PM   #33
Cat Not Included
Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 249
No way trump will actually be convicted for his many crimes, but if somehow he was, without political power behind them nothing his cult tries to do to "save" him would pan out.
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 06:55 PM   #34
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19,383
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
The nightmare scenario.

Trump gets tried for Jan.6 or tampering with the Georgia count and gets convicted.

Before sentencing he starts whipping up his minions and tells them they have to take their country back by storming the courthouse just before the sentencing.

The maga mob gets the message just like they did on January 6 and storm the courthouse.
And then what? It was just getting interesting.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 06:58 PM   #35
crescent
Philosopher
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,211
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
The nightmare scenario.
This seems to be a repeat of the concern you expressed in the previous thread:

Not on the Court House Steps?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 07:04 PM   #36
arayder
Illuminator
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,156
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
This seems to be a repeat of the concern you expressed in the previous thread:

Not on the Court House Steps?
Yes. For me Jan 6 opened the flood gates of possibilities.

Anybody who'd pull that stuff, and Trump did, is capable of anything.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 07:14 PM   #37
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 33,268
I think it comes down to this: if Trump is tried, he will lie and throw stuff and behave badly as he always does, and there's a significant chance his brain-dead base will respond badly as they always do, and a good chance the cowering courts and conniving parties involved will let him get away with it as they always do, and if not the brain-dead base will take to the barricades in their usual righteous riot of error, misattribution and misunderstanding.

And no matter what the outcome it will be nasty. I am guessing that, as Warp puts it, there will be plenty of contingency plans and can certainly hope that they are better thought out than last time, but no result will be good, because Trump's stock in trade is a **** show, what he has done in the past and what he does now is despicable and corrupt, and everything he does in the future will be another assault on the body politic.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 09:20 PM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 64,354
Perhaps Trump will run off to the wilderness to live off the grid, in order to escape justice! He will roam the mountain forests alone, living off the land, seizing squirrels from the trees and field mice from the beaks of passing owls. His legend will grow and many will claim to have spotted, off in the distance, roaring majestically, that fantastic beast: Bigfat!
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2022, 11:58 PM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 22,641
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Perhaps Trump will run off to the wilderness to live off the grid, in order to escape justice! He will roam the mountain forests alone, living off the land, seizing squirrels from the trees and field mice from the beaks of passing owls. His legend will grow and many will claim to have spotted, off in the distance, roaring majestically, that fantastic beast: Bigfat!
Orangetan surely!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 01:14 AM   #40
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 33,443
“Daddy, how did the Second Civil War start?”

“The Second Civil War, which rectified the result of the rigged First Civil War, occurred when Generalissimo Trump - Eternal President of the Dominion of These United States was wrongly convicted on Bidened up charges which are blasphemous to repeat…”

No, I don’t think it will happen. But iI want to copyright it now as the opening of my alternative history novel Daddyland, a fictional account of a MAGAbot’s memories.
__________________
Слава Україні! **** Putin!
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.