ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags quantum mechanics

Old 18th October 2019, 02:26 PM   #1601
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
GR deals with what is Real.

Wave Collapse, Decoherence, and Zero Diffraction cause something to be Real.
How would something, say an electron experience decoherence if it were not real?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:33 PM   #1602
pittsburghjoe
Muse

decoherence causes something to be real. It wasn't real before decoherence ..it was quantum waves.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:52 PM   #1603
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Wave Collapse and Decoherence interact with quantum waves to make reality.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:15 PM   #1604
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

decoherence causes something to be real. It wasn't real before decoherence ..it was quantum waves.
You are claiming one atom is not real, but a virus (180,000 atoms) is real.

So if I had 1 atom and then slowly added another and another and another to reach, say, 180,000 atoms, (size of a virus) my object, at some point, in your theory, converts from not real to real.

Can you describe what event in physics converts a non real object into a real object by simply adding one more atom in your theory?

Can you then show us your mathematics that allowed you to conclude that crossover point.

You, see, I think you are making this all up as you go.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:31 PM   #1605
pittsburghjoe
Muse

It would be super great if you would read what I wrote post #1594 to now.
Yes, one more atom to a small object in a vacuum can grant the object reality. How many times do I have to tell you smaller objects can be real in special circumstances? If your clump of atoms can display diffraction ..it can display superposition. 180,000 atoms isn't going to do that.

Your clump outside of a vacuum is going to be real from the environment it's contained in.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 18th October 2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:54 PM   #1606
pittsburghjoe
Muse

I'm making educated guesses on upgrades to the theory as I go. I feel like I'm getting somewhere with this today.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:56 PM   #1607
pittsburghjoe
Muse

I'm not making anything up. So sorry I thought of this before you?
Old 18th October 2019, 05:49 PM   #1608
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Wave Collapse and Decoherence interact with quantum waves to make reality.
Always use the quote function.
Decoherence is not a thing. It is what happens when matter assumes classical characteristic. In other word it stops behaving quantum like and behaves classically. However, that does not mean classical matter cannot assume quantum behavior.

Last edited by Steve001; 18th October 2019 at 05:57 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 06:58 PM   #1609
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

No. It is the other way around. You missed something very obvious that we can all, already see.

If I have one atom and keep adding one atom at a time, until I reach 180,000 atoms (the size of a virus), you are claiming something magical happens to those atoms so they were not real and then suddenly become real.

When we ask what this is, you simply avoid the question and claim a victory.

So what magic happens to these same atoms, according to your theory?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:02 PM   #1610
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

180,000 atoms isn't going to do that.
A small virus has 180,000 atoms. You seem confused about your own measurements.
Old 19th October 2019, 04:25 AM   #1611
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
No. It is the other way around. You missed something very obvious that we can all, already see.

If I have one atom and keep adding one atom at a time, until I reach 180,000 atoms (the size of a virus), you are claiming something magical happens to those atoms so they were not real and then suddenly become real.

When we ask what this is, you simply avoid the question and claim a victory.

So what magic happens to these same atoms, according to your theory?
I know where he perhaps came up with the virus thing. I read yesterday a Sci Am article mentioning the virus or bacteria size is where classical behavior manifests naturally. It happens because there are enough atoms to become entangled with the environment rapidly relative to something that has fewer bits of matter. Pb&J seems to have grasped on to the virus thing without full understanding

Last edited by Steve001; 19th October 2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 19th October 2019, 07:23 AM   #1612
pittsburghjoe
Muse

wow, someone with something positive to say. Although, what does entangled with the environment mean? I think they mean decoherence.
Old 19th October 2019, 03:17 PM   #1613
hecd2
Muse

wow, someone with something positive to say. Although, what does entangled with the environment mean? I think they mean decoherence.
Thatís what decoherence is. As any fule kno.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 03:22 PM   #1614
pittsburghjoe
Muse

I am very well versed in entanglement and the holographic principal. They don't know what they are saying ..and the holographic principal is a load of *****.
Old 19th October 2019, 07:48 PM   #1615
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Objects going into a black hole become unreal information. No need for an information paradox.
Old 20th October 2019, 10:40 AM   #1616
Wolrab
Illuminator

Math. Math math math, math math. Math math math math: math math math.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 04:02 PM   #1617
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation 14 items of ignorance, fantasy and delusion by pittsburghjoe 19/20October 2019

Objects going into a black hole become unreal information. No need for an information paradox.
A weekend of gibberish, lies and delusions.
  1. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: "The diffraction grating gets too small ..." gibberish.
    There are several difficulties with using large molecules in the double slit experiment. The diffraction grating is not one of them !
  2. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: "If an object is too large to display fringes.." gibberish.
    That never happens. It is experimental limits that make it hard to detect fringes.
  3. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: "There has to be something that causes a particle to be physical..." gibberish.
  4. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: A stupid "If I started using "Real" instead of "physical state"" question.
    Physical objects such as electrons and molecules are always physical. Real objects such as electrons and molecules are always real.
  5. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "GR deals with what is Real" lie, e.g. GR deals with "unreal" empty universes !
    He has been told this textbook GR many times.
  6. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: An insane "We just need GR to handle duality for Unification." lie.
    QM is vastly more than duality. A theory of everything has to give all of GR and all of QM.
  7. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: Idiotic "Does this mean Diffraction is directly related to Superposition?" question
  8. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: Idiotic A "decoherence causes something to be real" lie.
    He knows what quantum decoherence is and that is concerns quantum states of real particles, e.g. electrons and molecules.
  9. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: "Wave Collapse and Decoherence interact with quantum waves to make reality" gibberish.
  10. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: More "Yes, one more atom to a small object in a vacuum can grant the object reality" fantasies.
  11. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "I'm making educated guesses ..." lie.
    He has been writing uneducated word salad since the start of the thread and persisting with more uneducated word salad.
  12. 19 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "I'm not making anything up" lie when that is exactly what he is doing.
  13. 20 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: A very ignorant "I am very well versed in entanglement and the holographic principal." statement.
    The holographic principle is nothing to do with quantum entanglement.
    Over 6 weeks of posts shows an extreme level of ignorance about basic physics.
  14. 20 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: A "Objects going into a black hole become unreal information" stupidity.
    The stupidity is that objects going into a black hole remain as objects. They are merely torn apart into smaller objects.
    The stupidity is that the black hole information paradox is about physical information.
    ETA: That physical information is angular momentum, charge, mass, polarization, baryon number, lepton number, and many others.

Last edited by Reality Check; 20th October 2019 at 04:33 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 05:43 PM   #1618
pittsburghjoe
Muse

I apologize for using the word "grating" ..nothing else. I have handed the world what is real ..accept it or not, I don't care.
Old 20th October 2019, 06:08 PM   #1619
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Gibberish about using the word grating

I apologize for using the word "grating" .....
21 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: Gibberish about using the word grating.

14 items of ignorance, fantasy and delusion by pittsburghjoe 19/20 October 2019 is not about his use of a word. It is about his ignorance, fantasies, delusions and a few lies about physics.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 05:51 AM   #1620
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Math. Math math math, math math. Math math math math: math math math.
Math, math, math, eggs, baked beans, and math?
Old 21st October 2019, 09:18 AM   #1621
hecd2
Muse

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Math, math, math, eggs, baked beans, and math?
Yes. But instead we are getting spam, spam,spam, eggs, baked beans, and spam.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 02:32 PM   #1622
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Here, I condensed what this thread produced:

Somewhere around 1 x 10-18g in a vacuum is a new constant.

The diffraction gets too small to identify fringes. It's a natural size for the object to be physical and to never be in superposition.

Uncollapsed(stateless | unphysical | virtual) Quantum Waves + State(Matter Field or wave collapse or decoherence) + zero Diffraction showing fringes = Physical Matter (Real)

If an object is too large to display fringes, it is automatically physical. The question now is if auto-physical objects have a physical state or maybe being naturally physical doesn't require it.

Do I need to claim there is a physical state in the first place for even quantum sized objects if it is the same thing as: wave collapse, decoherence, and zero diffraction?

There has to be something that causes a particle to be physical or not before it even starts moving. If it is to only be a wave in flight, duality doesn't apply. But if physical, duality is allowed. Maybe I need a different term for "physical state".

If I started using "Real" instead of "physical state" would that get physicists off my back about mass meaning a physical property?

GR deals with what is Real.
Wave Collapse, Decoherence, and Zero Diffraction cause something to be Real.

We just need GR to handle duality for Unification.
GR for reality
QM wave function for unreal (only probabilities)

Does this mean Diffraction is directly related to Superposition?
Old 21st October 2019, 03:42 PM   #1623
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Repeats ignorant delusions and gibberish

Here, I condensed what this thread produced:..
What this thread has really produced:
167 items of ignorance, fantasy and delusion by pittsburghjoe since 4 September 2019 and counting .

15 items of ignorance, fantasy and delusion by pittsburghjoe 11-15 October 2019
11 items of ignorance, fantasy and delusion by pittsburghjoe on 16 October 2019
14 items of ignorance, fantasy and delusion by pittsburghjoe 19/20 October 2019

22 October 2018 pittsburghjoe: Repeats ignorant delusions and gibberish.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #1624
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm making educated guesses on upgrades to the theory as I go. I feel like I'm getting somewhere with this today.
Oh, so you are just making it up as you go along.

Okay, never mind.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #1625
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

FIFY.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:43 PM   #1626
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

It would be super great if you would read what I wrote post #1594 to now.
I did. You didn't.
Yes, one more atom to a small object in a vacuum can grant the object reality.
So, I have 179,999 atoms that aren't real and by adding one more atom suddenly the already existing 179,999 atoms change into being real.

What does this in your theory?
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #1627
pittsburghjoe
Muse

A physical state.

That said, it would be extremely difficult to contain a 179,999 atom object without forcefully giving it a physical state before shooting another atom at it.
Old Today, 05:26 PM   #1628
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down "A physical state", etc. delusion

24 October 2019 pittsburghjoe: "A physical state", etc. delusion

Electrons, protons, atoms, molecules and even bricks ere physical ! These have actual physical states, not whatever he imagines. Mass, charge, kinetic energy, spin, etc.

As far as he knows, adding 1 atom to another atom will gave the resulting molecule whatever he imagines "physical state" to be.

There is his "180,000 atoms isn't going to do that" lie. We have not yet detected that a 180,000 atom molecule shows an interference pattern in the double slit experiment (thus superposition). History tells us that this is theoretically possible since we have measured interference patterns from increasingly sizable molecules (60 to 810 to more atoms).

Last edited by Reality Check; Today at 05:30 PM.
Old Today, 05:54 PM   #1629
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. You are making UNeducated guesses on the basis of no knowledge at all.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:55 PM   #1630
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I did. You didn't.
So, I have 179,999 atoms that aren't real and by adding one more atom suddenly the already existing 179,999 atoms change into being real.

What does this in your theory?
Magic, apparently.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology