ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th February 2018, 09:46 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Recommend a simple PC audio manager?

I often listen to music, with headphones, on this laptop. It came with 'RealTek HD Audio Manager', which is a total pain. It has 4 presets: pop/live/club/rock, and pretty often I have to pause and try each of them to get decent sound for the current music. Within each preset there are endless 'environments' (hallway/padded cell/forest ... ) which do nothing to improve matters. Or I can switch modes and jiggle 10 sliders on a virtual graphic equaliser.

All I actually want is controls for treble and bass

Any recommendations gratefully received.
Old 19th February 2018, 04:22 AM   #2
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Try iTunes. I like it. But then it may get a reaction like shouting "buy a PC" at an Apple show.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2018, 04:54 AM   #3
Wudang
BOFH

VLC? Go to Tools > Effects and Filters > Audio Effects Tab and then graphic equalizer?

Excuse brevity - posting before running out
Old 19th February 2018, 01:53 PM   #4
mgidm86
Illuminator

I use VLC a lot but every time I start it I have to manually adjust the EQ, which sucks.

If I select a preset it will remember that. Problem is that all the presets are terrible. So I made my own preset, but it doesn't remember it when I restart VLC.

So in other words, you will most likely have the same problem - having to adjust the EQ - which by the way is more than treble and bass. Maybe they have a treble/bass only option.

I don't recommend iTunes as a player. I'm not sure what I recommend as I'm not thrilled with my setup either. Is there an EQ in iTunes? Can't remember. It's bloated for just playing music.

The audio adjustments that came with Windows used to have bass and treble but I don't see that on my Win 7.

Maybe you can get headphones with bass and treble knobs?
Old 19th February 2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Well, if you have a ten slider EQ you can see the low (left) three as bass and the high (right) three as treble and the middle four as mid-range. Just make yourself some nice curves and I don't see the problem. The only bass and treble adjustments I've seen in a long time are on my old-school audio amp, through which I play my PC sound if I don't listen with headphones. But they've long stopped working.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 02:17 AM   #6
Wudang
BOFH

Caveat: I don't use winamp anymore but with their big community they usually have something : does this help?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....98#post2012698
Old 20th February 2018, 09:55 AM   #7
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Caveat: I don't use winamp anymore but with their big community they usually have something : does this help?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....98#post2012698
Always liked Winamp. Still use it.
Old 21st February 2018, 02:16 AM   #8
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

I'm a Winamp man myself. I actually use both iTunes and Winamp, the former to organise my 120G library (I use it mainly to sort out duplicate songs, get hold of album covers, edit metadata), and the latter to actually play the stuff.

What's nice is that Winamp can use the iTunes database as a source. There are also all sorts of plugins to enhance playback.
Old 21st February 2018, 06:09 AM   #9
GlennB

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I use VLC a lot but every time I start it I have to manually adjust the EQ, which sucks.

If I select a preset it will remember that. Problem is that all the presets are terrible. So I made my own preset, but it doesn't remember it when I restart VLC.

So in other words, you will most likely have the same problem - having to adjust the EQ - which by the way is more than treble and bass. Maybe they have a treble/bass only option.

Maybe you can get headphones with bass and treble knobs?
Yeah, I realise that treble+bass alone is less than ideal, but it beats fiddling with the bars of an equaliser, especially from song to song. The headphones idea is worth looking into though!
Old 21st February 2018, 06:15 AM   #10
GlennB

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Well, if you have a ten slider EQ you can see the low (left) three as bass and the high (right) three as treble and the middle four as mid-range. Just make yourself some nice curves and I don't see the problem. The only bass and treble adjustments I've seen in a long time are on my old-school audio amp, through which I play my PC sound if I don't listen with headphones. But they've long stopped working.
Our previous stereo amp had several bars of EQ, so I'd just leave the central ones alone and use a pencil to slide the bass/treble sets all at once. Two operations, which was quick enough. When I bought a new amp I dug around long enough to find something lower tech, i.e treble+bass knobs

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet