ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:39 PM   #1
AlexPontik
Student

While you were sleeping

Ooop, you woke up, you cheeky monkey. Before, you were asleep, and you had a quiet sleep. You don’t remember anything from sleeping, you stayed in bed for a bit and relaxed, and you fell asleep, as usual.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 4. Do not post large amounts of material available elsewhere.

See https://www.siccness.net/xf/threads/...eeping.400906/ for the full experience.

Last edited by zooterkin; 26th July 2020 at 02:04 AM.
AlexPontik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

...I was going to go to court, but then I got high..

Ya da-da, da da daaaa...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 01:56 PM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post
Pick a coin choose a side, and flip it. After you decide you can guess the side the coin ends up facing you right, all the time...
You could make a fortune out of that.
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Or at least a play by Tom Stoppard.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:43 PM   #5
LarryS
Graduate Poster

I don't flip or know the right side of the coin, the 'rest' does and knows all this. The 'rest' gets all the fun.
LarryS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:44 PM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Where can I get some of that weed?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:41 AM   #7
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Only on ANZAC day.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:44 AM   #8
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

How? By using common sense. What is that? What I am trying to do here writing this text.
Sorry to have to tell you this, but you're not succeeding.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:54 AM   #9
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
What the chuffing McChuffity was that all about?
Old 24th July 2020, 04:16 AM   #10
Belz...
Fiend God

Ooop, you woke up, you cheeky monkey. Before, you were asleep, and you had a quiet sleep. You don’t remember anything from sleeping, you stayed in bed for a bit and relaxed, and you fell asleep, as usual.

...what?

Edited by Loss Leader:  Quote edited to conform.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Loss Leader; 27th July 2020 at 06:38 PM.
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:21 AM   #11
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I don't think electrons are free just yet. So perhaps the OP should waste them on something more...useful?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 10:22 AM   #12
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
...what?

Thanks for re-posting the " Wall a' text " ...
Old 24th July 2020, 04:10 PM   #13
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Where can I get some of that weed?
Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Thanks for re-posting the " Wall a' text " ...

Oh Boy!

We get some real dozzies on this forum at times. Then again maybe there is something really, really deep buried in that wall of text that I am too thick to appreciate. Some of that weed you are on about might help arth.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:23 PM   #14
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

With enough weed. there is a song in there somewhere...
Old 24th July 2020, 09:42 PM   #15
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

I believe Ludacris said, "Tell me who's your weed man, how do you smoke so good?"
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 10:31 PM   #16
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Oh Boy!

We get some real dozzies on this forum at times. Then again maybe there is something really, really deep buried in that wall of text that I am too thick to appreciate. Some of that weed you are on about might help arth.
The problem is the amount of shoveling needed to get it out.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 09:46 AM   #17
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I think it's something like, because we sometimes think dreams are real while we're dreaming, all reality must actually work like dreams. So if anything bad seems to happen in reality, you should change your thinking and stop being such a downer for all the other dreamers. You can learn how to do this by practicing predicting coin flips until you get it right every time.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily.
Old 25th July 2020, 09:57 AM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The problem is the amount of shoveling needed to get it out.
I assure you. There is a pony under that pile.

Old 27th July 2020, 02:35 PM   #19
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

OP, you start some weird-ass threads. I'm not sure what to make of you.

That being said, I do like thinking about the nature of dreams. (Which is what I think this is about.)

Last edited by Butter!; 27th July 2020 at 02:36 PM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 05:51 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post

That being said, I do like thinking about the nature of dreams. (Which is what I think this is about.)
Dreams are merely what brains do when they are asleep.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 06:42 PM   #21
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

A lesson about powerful people? Absolutely not where I was expecting that to go.

(I figured it was some vague rehash of Plato's cave used to justify the existence of God. I figured wrong.)

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:10 AM   #22
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I think it's something like, because we sometimes think dreams are real while we're dreaming, all reality must actually work like dreams. So if anything bad seems to happen in reality, you should change your thinking and stop being such a downer for all the other dreamers. You can learn how to do this by practicing predicting coin flips until you get it right every time.

There was also an instruction to flip a coin and guess which side it landed on. After doing so 0 times or more, you were to come back to the thread and read on. Then they ask you why you didn't return earlier, and implies something about 'something else' acting on us. So some sort of free will question, I suppose.

Try as I might, I couldn't quite get the point of the OP either.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:58 AM   #23
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

Sure, but are you suppose to practice in your dreams or in reality? One might think that if you are going to try to assert dream like control over reality that you at least have some control over your dreams first. Clearly that would not be the case for someone consistently having nightmares or someone who either doesn't dream or just doesn't remember their dreams. The citation doesn't seem to be clear as to which perceived realm said practice should take place.

Sounds like someone has been reading, or dreamt they've read, "The Secret"
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:08 AM   #24
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I assure you. There is a pony under that pile.

Jeremiah Johnson: "Are you all right?" (to the buried up to his neck Del Gue)

Del Gue: "Sure, sure, I got a fine horse under me!"
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:25 AM   #25
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
There was also an instruction to flip a coin and guess which side it landed on. After doing so 0 times or more, you were to come back to the thread and read on. Then they ask you why you didn't return earlier, and implies something about 'something else' acting on us. So some sort of free will question, I suppose.

Try as I might, I couldn't quite get the point of the OP either.
I think the 'us', being things 'not you', refers to the perception we consider reality. In that coming back to 'us' would mean coming back to the realm considered reality were things 'not you' appear to reside. This would tend to indicate that the practice would be in the 'just you' or dream state. Again somewhat problematic for those that don't dream or don't recall their dreams or those that have nightmares, perhaps even about coin flips.

The 'why didn't you come back to us before' seems to be a question of 'if we do have such control over the 'not you' realm why don't we realize it earlier?'.

Just the impressions I get.
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:09 AM   #26
AlexPontik
Student

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Sure, but are you suppose to practice in your dreams or in reality?
You are supposed to practice in reality, and have a good nights sleep.
If you like dreams, you still are supposed to practice in reality, and have your dreams while you are sleeping.
AlexPontik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:14 AM   #27
AlexPontik
Student

This is about the nature of your imagination.
When you are conscious, your imagination is always active, and you need to figure out what seems to be happening around you, in order to not have a nightmare in reality.
This people can do intuitively up to a point, and then they fail (think someone tripping over a surface he/she assessed not slippery).
Dreams to my experience happen when you are sleeping, and you are not fully unconscious (as you can remember having conscious memories the next day).
And reality, if you are patient, is beyond anything you can dream or imagine, it is something else, hence the coin flip.
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:20 AM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Last night I was a young squire in some sort of medieval epic. That's crazy, I haven't been young in decades.
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:23 AM   #29
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

You are supposed to practice in reality, and have a good nights sleep.
If you like dreams, you still are supposed to practice in reality, and have your dreams while you are sleeping.

OK, thanks for the clarification, but why limit your dreams to while you are sleeping? As a teen I dreamt of working in a laboratory and doing experimental research, I've done that. As a young adult I dreamt of becoming a mechanical engineer, I've done that. Almost always I dreamt of owning my own house around here, I have that. While many of my dreams, goals and/or aspirations remain unfulfilled as well as some that did come to fruition not being as I'd envisioned them. Still, I didn't live those dreams in reality by practicing guessing the flip of a coin or even by flipping coins but by working to make my dreams first realistic, then real.

What do you do when you've lived you dream and now it's over? You have more dreams.
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:53 AM   #30
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Dreams are merely what brains do when they are asleep.
Yeah, but I like thinking about all the insane crap that seems to be in my brain. I forget most of my dreams, but the stuff I can remember is wild. It makes me feel more interesting than I actually am.
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:59 AM   #31
Myriad
Hyperthetical

This is about the nature of your imagination.
When you are conscious, your imagination is always active, and you need to figure out what seems to be happening around you, in order to not have a nightmare in reality.
This people can do intuitively up to a point, and then they fail (think someone tripping over a surface he/she assessed not slippery).
Dreams to my experience happen when you are sleeping, and you are not fully unconscious (as you can remember having conscious memories the next day).
And reality, if you are patient, is beyond anything you can dream or imagine, it is something else, hence the coin flip.

Thank you for coming back and clarifying.

I like the way you describe the role of imagination in everyday consciousness. I usually describe that process as creating narrative; that is, stories, but ones we think of as true or possible, about what our senses and memories are showing us. That includes a lot of imaginative "what will happen if I do (or don't do) X?" narratives. "What will happen if I try to cross the street now?" "What will happen if I don't move farther away from this angry crowd?" This is how consciousness helps us negotiate (deal with) a complex world.

When we make up those stories, though, we don't use our imaginations alone. To make it faster and easier, we learn and apply mental models of how the world works. Different mental models lead to different narratives that have different meanings.

Someone slips and falls on a slippery surface. How does he or she explain what happened?

One person's narrative says, "I was careless. I should pay more attention where I'm going."

Another's says, "Someone else was careless and left the floor slippery. They should be held accountable so it doesn't happen again."

Another's says, "One of my enemies must have laid a trap for me. I'd better get out of here."

Another's says, "I've suffered misfortune because God is angry at my sins. I should confess and atone before something worse befalls me."

Another's says, "Random stuff happens. I wasn't badly hurt, so it doesn't matter."

All those people have different mental models of how the world works (that is, the best ways to turn sensory experiences into stories). They disagree on which of those models are be better (more useful in having a happy and/or successful life) or worse. Most people think they must choose one model and "believe in" it, but I think it can be more useful to be adept with multiple models and to select the best fitting ones for different circumstances.

Now, despite your clarification, I'm still not sure what the experiment of trying to predict the results of the coin tosses is supposed to mean. Is it to demonstrate that something external to oneself exists that remains unaffected by our mental state (which is a reasonable definition of "reality")? That is, that reality actually exists, which is why you cannot predict the coin tosses (while awake) no matter how much you imagine that you can?

Or is it to show the opposite, and you're suggesting that it is possible to learn to predict coin tosses with perfect accuracy while awake?

Those are basically opposite possibilities, so I want to make sure I understand which one you're saying.
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:07 PM   #32
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, but I like thinking about all the insane crap that seems to be in my brain. I forget most of my dreams, but the stuff I can remember is wild. It makes me feel more interesting than I actually am.
My dreams are frequently very clear while I'm experiencing them, but evaporate once I wake up leaving nothing but the vaguest of impressions. I think this is because to an awake mind, what goes on in dreams just makes no damn sense.

- Randall Munroe
Old 4th August 2020, 05:33 AM   #33
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

My dreams are frequently very clear while I'm experiencing them, but evaporate once I wake up leaving nothing but the vaguest of impressions. I think this is because to an awake mind, what goes on in dreams just makes no damn sense.
Exactly, one problem I often have in dreams is reading something. Due to the lack of specific detail or that those details change. While I often do notice the inconsistencies of a dream while dreaming. For whatever reason my brain just doesn't care that things are inconsistent. Probably because that part of my brain concerned with the importance of consistency just ain't awake yet. The other thing is the perception of agency. While you are the agency of all the actors in a dream you may only perceive your own agency as being just one. While still having all the knowledge and awareness of the actions, intents and fears of the others, even when you shouldn't. You just don't ascribe your own agency to them. If and when you do, you can become them. At times in dreams when I'm the protagonist confronted by some antagonist I'll just switch places without any concern about that inconsistency. At least for me it's not even restricted to objects of normal agency. While driving a car say, I might simply become the car or some other usually inanimate but now anthropomorphized object.
Old 4th August 2020, 08:59 AM   #34
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Sure, but are you suppose to practice in your dreams or in reality?
I kind of think I'd get arrested if I went into a fifth grade class and stood at the front of the room and read my book report aloud naked.
Old 4th August 2020, 10:12 AM   #35
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I kind of think I'd get arrested if I went into a fifth grade class and stood at the front of the room and read my book report aloud naked.

One of the advantages of remote schooling. Live the dream!

ETA:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by The Man; 4th August 2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: eta
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 09:39 PM   #36
RolandRat
Critical Thinker

Just stay away from demons and witches in your dreams, it seems they are not very hygienic.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 10:30 PM   #37
jnelso99
Muse

I've had "anti-anxiety dreams" that usually go something like:

Oh no! It's the final and I haven't attended a single class all semester...ah, screw it. I'm going on an adventure! Bye!

And then I have an adventure with Doctor Who or Lucy Lawless or something like that.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 05:17 PM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Just stay away from demons and witches in your dreams, it seems they are not very hygienic.
Oh what I wouldn't give for visit from a sex demon.
Old 5th August 2020, 05:18 PM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Oh what I wouldn't give for visit from a sex demon.
I've heard that it can cause gynaecological problems.

- Randall Munroe
Old 7th August 2020, 08:32 AM   #40
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Edibles, Making philosphers out of the common man since day 1.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy