ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Yesterday, 03:39 AM   #441
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There is a "moral duty" to get all children back into schools in England next month, Boris Johnson has said.

Quote:
Writing in the Mail on Sunday, he said it was the "national priority" after months without in-person education during the coronavirus pandemic...

A Downing Street source said Mr Johnson believes the harm being done to children's education prospects and mental health by not attending school is far more damaging than the risk posed to them by the virus.

The source said in the event of future stricter local lockdowns, the PM's expectation was that schools would be the last sector to be closed, after businesses like shops and pubs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53710472
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM   #442
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
There is a "moral duty" to get all children back into schools in England next month, Boris Johnson has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53710472
I cannot be the only person whose bile rises whenever Johnson mentions "moral duty "
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #443
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

No.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #444
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Do you need to be so rude?

I wouldn't take it personally, attempting to defend this clown show government would make a saint cranky!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #445
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I cannot be the only person whose bile rises whenever Johnson mentions "moral duty "
I assume he has a flash card to remind him what the words mean.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #446
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I assume he has a flash card to remind him what the words mean.

Remind?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #447
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Remind?
Someone must have mentioned it at some point. That's what they pay Nannies for isn't it?

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #448
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The daily number of new cases continues to creep up, over 1000 today. That might partly be due to more tests being done, but also must be due to the relaxation of restrictions.
On the other hand, only 8 new deaths today.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #449
Rolfe

There's a big cluster flaring in Aberdeen, which is going to make some difference.
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #450
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Anyhow, thanks CE for the warning to add Berlin and Germany to my tier 2 (check weekly) list of polities and regions to watch to learn more about SARS-CoV-2's epidemiology. I hate it when I miss the early stages of a significant change in real time (even though I can review the stats later). The stats in Germany will likely start getting interesting again right around August 22nd.

One week later: oh look, over 1,000 new confirmed cases per day for the latter three weekdays of last week in Germany. For the first time since May 7-9th.

Just more Corona Fehlalarm, no doubt.
Old Today, 02:05 AM   #451
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The daily number of new cases continues to creep up, over 1000 today. That might partly be due to more tests being done, but also must be due to the relaxation of restrictions.

IMO the rise in the number of cases is an inevitable consequence of the lifting of lockdown restrictions. I think that the government is attempting to work out what the public consider to be an acceptable level of new infections and deaths and will attempt to keep the number under that.

1,000 new infections a day seems to be a threshold.

Deaths lag 2-3 weeks behind infections so we'll likely have a further week of falling and/or low deaths and then it's likely that the number of deaths will start to climb as well.

This will mean that the schools will be opening as the number of infections and deaths are climbing. Looks like we're set for a perfect storm in the Autumn.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #452
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There is little evidence of coronavirus being transmitted in schools, Education Secretary Gavin Williamson has said.

Quote:
Mr Williamson said the government was being guided by the best science as it accelerated plans to reopen schools to all pupils in England next month.

Government advisers have warned the nation may have reached the limit of what can be reopened in society safely.

But Mr Williamson suggested an upcoming study would support the government's position on reopening schools.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53718066

If you ignore the evidence there is little evidence!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #453
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

There is little evidence of coronavirus being transmitted in schools, Education Secretary Gavin Williamson has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53718066

Perhaps that can be the catchy new slogan?
Old Today, 03:58 AM   #454
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Hey Planigale, did you just phone into James O'Brien on LBC?

Old Today, 08:17 AM   #455
Rolfe

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

Apparently nobody involved in the Aberdeen cluster has had to be hospitalised and so far all cases are mild. Despite weekly cases in Scotland rising from 60 five weeks ago to 318 last week, we haven't had a single death for nearly five weeks. They're saying the age distribution of cases has changed. Back in March a lot of elderly people were getting the virus, now it's mainly young people out on the razzle and older people have learned to be very very careful. However some young people do become seriously affected and we can't go on being this lucky. Also the concern is that younger people then spread it to older family members who then become very sick. We may see a lag before serious illnesses and deaths appear due to this double incubation period. Hopefully the contact tracing and older people's learned self-preservation habits will minimise this,

Before this cluster started Aberdeen city and Aberdeenshire combined were running at less than ten cases a week, and that had been the situation for at least seven weeks. In the two weeks since the superspreader event (26th July) there have been 231 cases in the same area. We're told that only 157 of these have been linked to this cluster. Pull the other one, basically. We would have expected less than 20 cases in that region in two weeks before the cluster was set off, but now there are 73 that aren't linked to the cluster? A likely story. (There has been a slight rise in cases across the country in the past month, but nothing close to 70-odd cases in a region anywhere else.)
Old Today, 08:33 AM   #456
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Could that perhaps be something to do with schools having been closed for a lot of the time?

Quote:

There isnít likely to be masses of evidence specifically about this virus at this stage. But is there any reason to think that children are less likely to transmit viruses in general?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics