ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Today, 09:57 AM   #1241
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What if you need an eye test, what are the guidelines?

There’s a Specsavers in Barnard Castle.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #1242
Gulliver Foyle
Thinker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The Torygraph article is paywalled for me. This is the same story in the Daily Express - though nothing in the centre or left-leaning press so maybe this is the government putting the idea out there to take the country's temperature.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...esa-may-oneweb

Some quotes:

As has been pointed out upthread, the satellites are unsuitable:

What a shock

Also, it won't be a fillip for the UK's space industry:

Worse than that, the UK's now on the hook for the existing satellites. It seems that the attempt to seize back control has once again ended with the UK ceding more control

I do like this bit though - trying to blame those horrible Europeans....

IIRC it was the UK who stormed off in high dudgeon, not wanting to continue to pay our dues to the system and insisting that we'd develop our own - a ridiculous plan which is now rightly in tatters - though not after wasting close to half a billion pounds.
It was also the UK which insisted (admittedly on behalf of the US) that no third party countries could have access to the Galileo system. But hey, if you're an English toff you shouldn't be held responsible for the consequences your own mistakes.
Old Today, 10:34 AM   #1243
Garrison
Philosopher

I am sure the government will conclude there is nothing remotely dodgy here:

FinCEN Files: Tory donor Lubov Chernukhin linked to $8m Putin ally funding
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #1244
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
There’s a Specsavers in Barnard Castle.
There's also an independent local opticians that looked after my parents really well for decades.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics