ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #1961
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I imagine that an mRNA vaccine might be stable enough even at -20 degrees Celsius if it is pure of RNases and can be distributed quickly (over a few days). i.e. shipped and injected. But for storage for any more than a few days one would want -80 or colder.

There are products, such as RNAlater, that stabilize RNAs for days even at 4 degrees Celsius. But I wouldn’t want to be injected with these. Maybe there are other stabilizing additives that can be injected.

Last edited by Giordano; Yesterday at 02:56 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #1962
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
-70F might be the temp used. I'm not sure what they get by that added temp drop (-112F). Could be the temp they are using in the experiments.

Edited to add, it dawned on me they were using liquid nitrogen to store these materials and I checked. Sure enough liquid nitrogen is -80C.
LN2 is -192C. Dry Ice is -78.5C.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #1963
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Sorry: -196 degrees Celsius. I think dry ice, solid CO2, is -78.5 degrees Celsius.
UPS is building freezer farms to store the vaccine.
https://pharmaceuticalcommerce.com/c...cine-delivery/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #1964
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
If Trump is still in the oval office, I won't trust any vaccine.
I'd trust Fauci. I'd also trust Governors Larry Hogan and Andrew Cuomo. I live in Maryland and Hogan has been a straight shooter throughout this mess. I am also confident of the medical advice he's getting.
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #1965
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
This may be what led me astray:

I'm just saying that any effective vaccine is better than no vaccine, and that even if the mRNA version can only be administered to some people by specialized providers under carefully controlled conditions, that's still better for all of us than waiting for another one that that we can get at Walgreen's, and it wouldn't prevent the continuing development of others.
None of that says: "The fact that not everyone can get it at Walgreen's or in the Third World is not an argument against using it wherever and however you can, or for sitting back and waiting for something else."

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #1966
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Due to the math(s) of intersecting linear functions, -40 C translates to -40F. This seemed weird to me but when I thought about it, it made sense.

At some point the vaccine gets diluted for injection; how long does a batch stay good after it's mixed up?

That's a science-y question, so to politicize it: Does Trump's anti-science base think there's a need for a vaccine at all? Won't herd mentality take care of everything if we're just willing to sacrifice a few (hundred thousand) old people? Probably the virus is disappearing like a miracle right now. They say that happens. Has anybody floated the idea that a vaccine is not needed and is probably some kind of globalist plot?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #1967
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sorry: -196 degrees Celsius. I think dry ice, solid CO2, is -78.5 degrees Celsius.
I looked it up before I posted it. I probably misread something like this, though I can't find the specific source I looked at: "Liquid nitrogen is a cryogenic liquid. Cryogenic liquids are liquefied gases that have a normal boiling point below –130°F (–90°C)."

There was a mention in the mRNA vaccine sources that there wasn't enough dry ice to ship this vaccine around. I see (posted above) Fed Ex and UPS are investing in the equipment they might need.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Yesterday at 04:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #1968
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I imagine that an mRNA vaccine might be stable enough even at -20 degrees Celsius if it is pure of RNases and can be distributed quickly (over a few days). i.e. shipped and injected. But for storage for any more than a few days one would want -80 or colder.

There are products, such as RNAlater, that stabilize RNAs for days even at 4 degrees Celsius. But I wouldn’t want to be injected with these. Maybe there are other stabilizing additives that can be injected.
I give hep B vaccine which is supposed to be refrigerated but it is actually stable for 30 days at room temperature. And I give TB skin tests with Tubersol that can't be unrefrigerated for very long at all.

Typically these companies manufacturing a new vaccine (or drug) develop it under some pretty strict protocols and it isn't until after the development and FDA approval that they start looking at broader situations like the range of storage and distribution temperatures.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #1969
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Due to the math(s) of intersecting linear functions, -40 C translates to -40F. This seemed weird to me but when I thought about it, it made sense.

At some point the vaccine gets diluted for injection; how long does a batch stay good after it's mixed up?
That's the case with MMR but I haven't read the new COVID vaccines would be shipped freeze-dried and reconstituted at the time of use. And that isn't the case with live oral polio vaccine which is thawed when you use it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Yesterday at 04:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #1970
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oh great, LN2 shortages. How are the dermatologists supposed to freeze all the pre-cancers off my face?
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #1971
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

There probably won't be LN2 shortages. The plants that make it just need air and lots of electricity.

What there will be is a shortage of storage/transportation methods & equipment.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #1972
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Oh great, LN2 shortages. How are the dermatologists supposed to freeze all the pre-cancers off my face?
Not to mention all those venereal warts.

Oh wait, they can use podophyllin for that.

But we already determined it was dry ice, not liquid nitrogen the vaccine transport and storage will need. Sorry my error caused the issue.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Yesterday at 09:13 PM.
Old Today, 05:35 AM   #1973
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Has anybody floated the idea that a vaccine is not needed and is probably some kind of globalist plot?
Short version - yes.

As an example, there's BS floating around about how Bill Gates will use a "vaccine" to microchip everyone who gets it.
Old Today, 06:29 AM   #1974
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
They misheard the question.
If so, it's because they were wearing masks.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #1975
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says on fox phone in
"We're rounding the corner on the pandemic. And we've done a phenomenal job. Not just a good job. Other than public relations, but that's because I have fake news. You can't convince them of anything. They're a fake, we take an A+"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:04 AM   #1976
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The CDC abruptly reversed its guidance on how Covid-19 is spread, removes references to airborne transmission.

I'm absolutely sure there is a political reason behind this. But it's actual BREAKING NEWS so it hasn't been hashed to death yet.
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #1977
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

An intriguing and detailed account of why there are no N95 masks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hortage-covid/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:26 PM   #1978
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Biden on Covid death toll hitting 200k: "What worries me now is we've been living with this pandemic for so long, I worry we're risking becoming numb to the toll that it's taken on us. We can't let that happen."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #1979
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump says on fox phone in
"We're rounding the corner on the pandemic. And we've done a phenomenal job. Not just a good job. Other than public relations, but that's because I have fake news. You can't convince them of anything. They're a fake, we take an A+"
I mean, we've got 200,000! No one else has numbers like that! No one! Do I get credit for that? No! Those are great numbers. Numbers like no one's ever seen before. Obama didn't get numbers like that with H1N1. He got such bad reviews! Horrific reviews.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:08 PM   #1980
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Biden on Covid death toll hitting 200k: "What worries me now is we've been living with this pandemic for so long, I worry we're risking becoming numb to the toll that it's taken on us. We can't let that happen."
We are already there. I think too much of the American is numb and just wants things to go back to normal already. The thing is, we were there in June.
Old Today, 04:58 PM   #1981
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Jon Husted tries to advertise Trump face-masks at a rally, to predictable results.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #1982
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Jon Husted tries to advertise Trump face-masks at a rally, to predictable results.
Predictable indeed. They are there to see Trump's clown show. If they wanted reason and facts, they'd have gone to a Biden rally.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics