ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd October 2019, 03:34 PM   #561
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Here are just some of Trump's staff, appointees and associates who have said or suggested Trump is stupd.

Sam Nunberg describes his ignorance. Nunberg, was sent to “explain the Constitution” to Trump when he was a candidate. “I got as far as the Fourth Amendment,” Nunberg recalled, “before his finger is pulling down on his lip and his eyes are rolling back in his head.”

Steve Bannon " like an 11 year old child"
White House deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh "Working with Trump is “like trying to figure out what a child wants”—

Rupert Murdoch "a ******* idiot"
Roger Ailes. 'a moron"
Rex Tillerson Secretary of State "a ******* moron"
Gary Cohen Economic advisor "dumb as ****"
H R McMaster National security advisor "a dope"
John Kelly Chief of staff "an idiot"
Steve Mnuchin Secretary of Treasury "an idiot"
Reince Preibus Chief of staff "an idiot"
Sam Nunberg "he's an idiot"

There are lots more. But as I said before. Read his speeches. They really are stupid. And yet people voted for this moron.

You should also note that Trump has threatened legal action against every school he's attended. If Trump is really "a stable genius" why is he frightened of evidence?

A great listicle there.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:45 PM   #562
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Belz, theprestige

I don't care if you two resolve your issues in private messages, another thread, or a seedy motel room that charges by the hour. As long this nonsense stops getting dragged into other threads multiple times, I'll be happy. Please just stop.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:48 PM   #563
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Dr. Keith liked the post:
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Belz, theprestige

I don't care if you two resolve your issues in private messages, another thread, or a seedy motel room that charges by the hour. As long this nonsense stops getting dragged into other threads multiple times, I'll be happy. Please just stop.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:48 PM   #564
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Belz, theprestige

Thank You.
Old 2nd October 2019, 04:33 PM   #565
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Belz, theprestige

Roger that. I'll do my best to respect your wishes.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:20 PM   #566
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats to subpoena Gordon Sondland, after the State Department blocked his voluntary testimony

Sondland had interacted directly with Trump around the time of the Ukraine phone call, and was the man who told Ron Johnson that the phone call had involved quid pro quo.

This is how Trump responded on twitter: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...60708808486914

Quote:
I would love to send Ambassador Sondland, a really good man and great American, to testify, but unfortunately he would be testifying before a totally compromised kangaroo court, where Republican’s rights have been taken away, and true facts are not allowed out for the public....

....to see. Importantly, Ambassador Sondland’s tweet, which few report, stated, “I believe you are incorrect about President Trump’s intentions. The President has been crystal clear: no quid pro quo’s of any kind.” That says it ALL!
Old 8th October 2019, 03:43 PM   #567
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Now that the WH has said get ****** to the impeachment process the US seems in crisis.
Old 8th October 2019, 04:10 PM   #568
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Democrats to subpoena Gordon Sondland, after the State Department blocked his voluntary testimony

Sondland had interacted directly with Trump around the time of the Ukraine phone call, and was the man who told Ron Johnson that the phone call had involved quid pro quo.

This is how Trump responded on twitter: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...60708808486914
King Donald The First.
I am above the Law.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:23 PM   #569
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Now that the WH has said get ****** to the impeachment process the US seems in crisis.
They've been saying that the entire time. Democrats just haven't wanted to hear it.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:25 PM   #570
DkCreative
New Blood

I wonder if they found any dirt

Does anyone know what kind of dirt they were looking for? Obviously they had to have a hunch of something before risking everything.
DkCreative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:36 PM   #571
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post

But it's not fair.

*stamps feet*
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:42 PM   #572
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DkCreative View Post
Does anyone know what kind of dirt they were looking for? Obviously they had to have a hunch of something before risking everything.
Not at all. You're assuming they give a crap about the truth.

The point of the investigation was to have an investigation. Propagandists could take care of the rest, accusing Biden of everything under the sun and especially the crimes Giuliani was currently in Ukraine committing. It almost worked, too, even with the whistleblower calling attention to it.

As for "before risking everything," I'll put ten bucks down that Trump has asked everyone to do something similar, in every single negotiation.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 8th October 2019 at 04:44 PM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:57 PM   #573
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It goes back to a Alt-Right Wing Conspiracy Theory that Hunter was hired by Burisma for nefarious purposes and was paid extreme amounts of money to hide Burisma's corrupt practices and then Joe Biden had the prosecutor who was "looking into" Burisma's supposed corruption fired so as to protect both his son and the company. There is also claim that the company that Hunter set up with several others, acting as a go-between for Chinese investors wanting to invest in the US, were involved in money laundering and fraud.

There is no actual evidence of either claim, and in fact a lot of evidence that is contradictory to them.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 05:22 PM   #574
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
King Donald The First.
I am above the Law.
With a gaggle of cheerleader GOP legislators to hoot and holler about the kangaroo court.
Old 8th October 2019, 05:23 PM   #575
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
They've been saying that the entire time. Democrats just haven't wanted to hear it. [aren't about to accept it.]
ftfy
Old 8th October 2019, 05:25 PM   #576
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The whole matter is out in the open and other than Biden being too close to the oil industry, there's nothing there.

That doesn't stop Trump or the GOP from shouting accusations from the roof tops which then stick in many people's heads.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:04 PM   #577
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
ftfy
No, it was right the first time. Democrats in the House keep slowly plodding through the motions, each time pretending that this time, THIS time, their chamber will be shown the respect it deserves. If they understood that Trump is going to block everything, they'd have had a subpoena in hand for what's his name's deposition. You're not allowed to testify now? Okay, here's some paperwork, we order you to testify... now.

The Trump administration has obstructed and intimidated every single witness so far. There is every indication they will continue to do so, even with subpoenas, even with impeachment. They need to understand that and plan for it, not simply act outraged every time Lucy pulls the football away and back up for another run at it.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:13 PM   #578
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The House Committees should hold uncooperating witnesses in contempt, fine them $5,000 a day and send the bill to Trump, personally.
That will get him to cooperate.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:18 PM   #579
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The House Committees should hold uncooperating witnesses in contempt, fine them $5,000 a day and send the bill to Trump, personally.
No, they should hold them in contempt, arrest them and fine them.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:19 PM   #580
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why would he care about this bill?

His SOP is to decree that he doesn't have to pay for things like the little people do.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:23 PM   #581
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Why would he care about this bill?

His SOP is to decree that he doesn't have to pay for things like the little people do.
Then they can start repossessing stuff, starting with his pile of prescription drugs.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 04:23 AM   #582
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Or his house
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 04:25 AM   #583
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Or his house
you sure he's got a house? Or even an apartment?
I think the banks would have first dibs.
Old 9th October 2019, 07:36 AM   #584
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

No, they should hold them in contempt, arrest them and fine them.
Barr and Wilbur Ross are already in contempt.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 07:38 AM   #585
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Barr and Wilbur Ross are already in contempt.
They're in contempt in the same way a tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it makes a sound.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 07:40 AM   #586
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
They're in contempt in the same way a tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it makes a sound.
Unfortunately true. My understanding, limited as it is, is that Congress would have to take them to court and have a judge tell them (Barr and Ross) to comply with the subpoena. Then, when they don't, the judge can determine they are in contempt of COURT, then penalties can be applied. One to 12 months in jail and/or up to $100,000.

I don't know if Congress has taken the contempt citation to court yet.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 9th October 2019 at 07:41 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 08:48 AM   #587
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Unfortunately true. My understanding, limited as it is, is that Congress would have to take them to court and have a judge tell them (Barr and Ross) to comply with the subpoena. Then, when they don't, the judge can determine they are in contempt of COURT, then penalties can be applied. One to 12 months in jail and/or up to $100,000.

I don't know if Congress has taken the contempt citation to court yet.
Actually, I think Congress has the ability to enforce subpoenas, outside of the courts.

From: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_Congress
Under that ruling, courts generally do not hear motions to quash Congressional subpoenas; even when executive branch officials refuse to comply, courts tend to rule that such matters are "political questions" unsuitable for judicial remedy. In fact, many legal rights usually associated with a judicial subpoena do not apply to a Congressional subpoena.
Under this process, the procedure for holding a person in contempt involves only the chamber concerned. Following a contempt citation, the person cited is arrested by the Sergeant-at-Arms for the House or Senate, brought to the floor of the chamber, held to answer charges by the presiding officer, and then subjected to punishment as the chamber may dictate (usually imprisonment for punishment, imprisonment for coercion, or release from the contempt citation).

If that's true, then Congress certainly has the authority to "play hardball"... to issue subpoenas and if Trump or his minions fail to respond, to have them arrested.

(I will of course defer to anyone with more legal expertise than myself.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 08:56 AM   #588
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Actually, I think Congress has the ability to enforce subpoenas, outside of the courts.

From: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_Congress
Under that ruling, courts generally do not hear motions to quash Congressional subpoenas; even when executive branch officials refuse to comply, courts tend to rule that such matters are "political questions" unsuitable for judicial remedy. In fact, many legal rights usually associated with a judicial subpoena do not apply to a Congressional subpoena.
Under this process, the procedure for holding a person in contempt involves only the chamber concerned. Following a contempt citation, the person cited is arrested by the Sergeant-at-Arms for the House or Senate, brought to the floor of the chamber, held to answer charges by the presiding officer, and then subjected to punishment as the chamber may dictate (usually imprisonment for punishment, imprisonment for coercion, or release from the contempt citation).

If that's true, then Congress certainly has the authority to "play hardball"... to issue subpoenas and if Trump or his minions fail to respond, to have them arrested.

(I will of course defer to anyone with more legal expertise than myself.)
You pretty much nailed it. Journey v Mackracken 294 U.S. 125 (1935)
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 09:13 AM   #589
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

What I love about this is the way Trump refuses to let Sondland testify under oath at the same time he uses the unsworn testimony of his "tweet" (actually a text message Sondland sent Taylor- the message that is at the center of the question)- he'll use the message to proclaim his innocence but refuse to let anyone ask questions about it. In Trump-land, you can eat your cake and have it too.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 09:24 AM   #590
catsmate
No longer the 1

Why? The Trumpettes made up lies about Clinton from whole cloth.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 09:30 AM   #591
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
No, it was right the first time. Democrats in the House keep slowly plodding through the motions, each time pretending that this time, THIS time, their chamber will be shown the respect it deserves. If they understood that Trump is going to block everything, they'd have had a subpoena in hand for what's his name's deposition. You're not allowed to testify now? Okay, here's some paperwork, we order you to testify... now.

The Trump administration has obstructed and intimidated every single witness so far. There is every indication they will continue to do so, even with subpoenas, even with impeachment. They need to understand that and plan for it, not simply act outraged every time Lucy pulls the football away and back up for another run at it.
No, I had it right. Just because Trump is huffing and puffing and making up fake talking points like an imaginary rule the whole House has to vote before proceeding with an Impeachment, and trying to gaslight his base doesn't mean ****.

The longer Trump drags it out, the closer to the election it gets and the more nervous the Senate Republicans are getting.

Why you think the Democrats aren't going to write up Articles of Impeachment because Trump is huffing and puffing is beyond me.

Keep in mind Trump appears successful while he fails at everything given enough time. He's failing at being POTUS and that's par for the course.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:36 AM   #592
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump?

Come on, he constantly spews lies about people and everything else.

And risk everything?

Old 9th October 2019, 09:45 AM   #593
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
What I love about this is the way Trump refuses to let Sondland testify under oath at the same time he uses the unsworn testimony of his "tweet" (actually a text message Sondland sent Taylor- the message that is at the center of the question)- he'll use the message to proclaim his innocence but refuse to let anyone ask questions about it. In Trump-land, you can eat your cake and have it too.
It's not just one message, it is a series of messages and how the series shows a clear consciousness of guilt. It is how Sondland broke off his text conversation and resumed it 5 hours later with a message with an entorely different tone. A text that looks like was written by a lawyer. Why did Sondland break off the conversation and call the President? Trump keeps touting that text while ignoring the other texts. It appears as if Sondland was conspiring with the President and others to get their stories straight.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:46 AM   #594
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Yep, congratulations, that's exactly what you're supposed to assume, just like all those crimes detailed in Hillary's email.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 09:48 AM   #595
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I channel-surfed past the 700 Club this morning and saw Pat Robertson repeating the GOP/Trump talking point that the whole House (as opposed to a committee) has to vote before starting the Impeachment investigation.

Typical of these liars, he claimed he talked to "two legal scholars" that agree with him.

His audience I'm sure just eats those lies up.

I guess God has forgiven Trump's mistake of withdrawing from Syria.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:59 AM   #596
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I channel-surfed past the 700 Club this morning and saw Pat Robertson repeating the GOP/Trump talking point that the whole House (as opposed to a committee) has to vote before starting the Impeachment investigation.

Typical of these liars, he claimed he talked to "two legal scholars" that agree with him.

This is the same show that had a "trained martial artist" say that you can kill someone with a single well-placed blow from a baton, so the fact that the police hit Rodney King so many times proved that they weren't really trying to hurt him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:28 AM   #597
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

It's not just one message, it is a series of messages and how the series shows a clear consciousness of guilt. It is how Sondland broke off his text conversation and resumed it 5 hours later with a message with an entorely different tone. A text that looks like was written by a lawyer. Why did Sondland break off the conversation and call the President? Trump keeps touting that text while ignoring the other texts. It appears as if Sondland was conspiring with the President and others to get their stories straight.
Yep. But it's the one isolated message that Trump wants to use, as (unsworn) testimony for his innocence, out of a whole that needs to be explored under oath and that may show guilt. And that's a pattern Trump (and his defenders) seem to follow, taking evidence, including his own words/actions, out of a properly-considered whole and pretending that the piece-meals proclaim innocence. "Great and unmatched wisdom?" "He was joking!"- ignoring all the times he has said things that reveal an unmatched superiority complex. "He asked foreign countries (Ukraine and China) to investigate Biden for corruption." "Well, shouldn't the President be allowed to ask people to investigate possible corruption, even if those people are in another country?"- ignoring that the only "corruption" he seems concerned with is what he attributes, without any actual investigation, to a man who is, I'm sure by coincidence, a political rival.

All this wide-eyed innocence coming from Trump supporters just is not very convincing.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:48 AM   #598
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I didn't misspeak, though. I said exactly what I wanted to say, in exactly the way I wanted to say it.
Then the problem's at the source.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:50 AM   #599
Belz...
Fiend God

Belz, theprestige

Belz..., please don't correct people when they make errors or tell untruths, it's disruptive.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:51 AM   #600
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
King Donald The First.
I am above the Law.
If this keeps up, the Senate's going to become just as important as it was under Augustus.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics