ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 8th October 2019, 01:53 PM   #2601
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Trump supporters would have us believe the orange fungus is a harmless troll not to be taken seriously, and that the POSOTUS is not the real arbiter of policy. But we see clearly that just this one 'person' exerts influence--in the short term, at least--that has real life and death consequences.
So does every president. That's literally their job. Remember all the people, including hundreds of civilians, that President Obama had killed? Not even people that died directly or indirectly from Obama Administration policy. I'm talking just about the thousands of people that President Obama literally ordered killed, in his capacity as Commander in Chief of the armed forces.

Support the Kurds, people are going to die. Don't support the Kurds, people are going to die.

Hell, how many previous administrations have supported Saudi Arabia, or Egypt, with predictable death tolls as a result, without garnering nearly the concern you're expressing here about Donald Trump? How many people died across North Africa and the Middle East, as a result of Barack Obama's policies in that region? I bring this up not to say "what about Obama", but to point out the depth of your special pleading with regard to Donald Trump.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 01:55 PM   #2602
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'd just love to hear one person who actually supports Trump instead of a bunch of people who are either actively and admittedly trolling or just putting on some teen angst show of why it doesn't matter and we're all stupid for caring.
I'm here all day, any time you want to listen.

Quote:
A list of excuses will never add up to one valid reason.
It probably doesn't help that you seem to be determined to reject every reason offered as an excuse. But, again, I'm willing to try to defend my reasons as valid, if you're interested in hearing from me and discussing them with me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:03 PM   #2603
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Riiight.

Joe just want to talk trash and avoid discussion, but somehow I'm the troll.

This is what "skeptics" actually believe. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Oh I am, but I don't think anything I've said here is on the list.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:07 PM   #2604
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'll bite. Name one.
Certainly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntieth_century (starting the mid-70s - in another post I mentioned America's reputation probably being rightly in the gutter since Vietnam, so that seems like a good place to start)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-first_century

Both of those lists have alliances with the US, formed since the beginning of the Vietnam war. They also have alliances (such as NORAD) that were formed earlier, but have persisted even after Vietnam.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:14 PM   #2605
Steve
Philosopher

Certainly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntieth_century (starting the mid-70s - in another post I mentioned America's reputation probably being rightly in the gutter since Vietnam, so that seems like a good place to start)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-first_century

Both of those lists have alliances with the US, formed since the beginning of the Vietnam war. They also have alliances (such as NORAD) that were formed earlier, but have persisted even after Vietnam.
Well color me embarrassed. I understood you to be claiming that Trump had formed an alliance when all available evidence points to him only destroying existing alliances. Thank you for clearing that up. No question that other presidents and their staffs have managed to form alliances. They have all, for the most part, been somewhat reasonable men.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:15 PM   #2606
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Sounds like you want to make America great again, or something...

That would make a helluva campaign slogan for Dems in 2020, but I hear it's trademarked. Anyway, I don't think we need to be that grandiose -- maybe something simple like "WTF is going on here!?"
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 02:19 PM   #2607
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
That would make a helluva campaign slogan for Dems in 2020, but I hear it's trademarked. Anyway, I don't think we need to be that grandiose -- maybe something simple like "WTF is going on here!?"
Maybe the Dems could use Make America Normal Again..
Old 8th October 2019, 02:25 PM   #2608
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Maybe the Dems could use Make America Normal Again..

Dibs on "MANA from heaven" for the T-shirts.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:29 PM   #2609
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well color me embarrassed. I understood you to be claiming that Trump had formed an alliance when all available evidence points to him only destroying existing alliances. Thank you for clearing that up. No question that other presidents and their staffs have managed to form alliances. They have all, for the most part, been somewhat reasonable men.
No need for embarrassment. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. My thesis was that America's reputation has been in the gutter for at least two generations, but that doesn't actually stop other nation-states from reaching agreements, doing business, forming alliances, etc.

Thus:

a) Trump hasn't really ruined our reputation - it was already in the gutter (remember when Barack Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize because of how badly George W. Bush had ruined the country's reputation?).

b) "Ruining the country's reputation" isn't the great disaster some people appear to believe.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:43 PM   #2610
Steve
Philosopher

No need for embarrassment. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. My thesis was that America's reputation has been in the gutter for at least two generations, but that doesn't actually stop other nation-states from reaching agreements, doing business, forming alliances, etc.

Thus:

a) Trump hasn't really ruined our reputation - it was already in the gutter (remember when Barack Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize because of how badly George W. Bush had ruined the country's reputation?).

b) "Ruining the country's reputation" isn't the great disaster some people appear to believe.
I think the idea of Bush, and perhaps other recent presidents, ruining the country's reputation was largely an idea among Americans themselves due to internal polarized conflicts. I do not think relations between America and other countries were much affected during those presidencies. Agreements made were honored. It was business as usual internationally.

The matter of other countries recognizing that America's international actions are a disaster is something that really has begun with Trump. As other countries realize that agreements made with the US may well not be honored by the US they will become much more wary of anything the US says. This may not be a "disaster" but it cannot be good for your country.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:48 PM   #2611
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think the idea of Bush, and perhaps other recent presidents, ruining the country's reputation was largely an idea among Americans themselves due to internal polarized conflicts. I do not think relations between America and other countries were much affected during those presidencies. Agreements made were honored. It was business as usual internationally.
I recall a lot of non-Americans on this forum posting much the same "America is now a laughingstock in our country" rhetoric as we're seeing today. I'm not going to bother digging up examples of that, though, so feel free to consider it "unproven" if the claim doesn't sit right with you.
Old 8th October 2019, 02:54 PM   #2612
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The matter of other countries recognizing that America's international actions are a disaster is something that really has begun with Trump. As other countries realize that agreements made with the US may well not be honored by the US they will become much more wary of anything the US says.
My point is that this has been the case all along, and that other countries are generally not stupid enough to ever imagine that unratified treaties are binding agreements.

I doubt that there are any countries that currently believe the US is likely to renege on a ratified treaty, nor any that believe Trump has reneged on such a treaty.

I think that pretty much every other nation state today understands that unratified agreements are not guaranteed to last, and that all of them are in fact totally okay with that. Largely because I'm pretty sure all of them have similar processes for converting negotiated agreements into binding law for themselves; and I'm pretty sure all of them fully appreciate that an agreement they have negotiated but not ratified does not bind them, and they wouldn't have it any other way. Not for themselves, and not for the US.

This concern about a sitting President backing out of an un-concluded deal seems to be entirely a rhetorical construct of American progressives, in an attempt to create an impression of wrongdoing among low-information voters, in the absence of any actual wrongdoing. There's no reason we need to play along with that game here, but apparently I'm a troll for voicing dissent.

If you want to force the President to abide by his predecessor's agreements, the one and only recourse is for Congress to ratify them. Nobody is entitled to anything more, and I hope the Kurds never believed they were.

Last edited by theprestige; 8th October 2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:50 PM   #2613
Minoosh
Philosopher

So does every president. That's literally their job. Remember all the people, including hundreds of civilians, that President Obama had killed? Not even people that died directly or indirectly from Obama Administration policy. I'm talking just about the thousands of people that President Obama literally ordered killed, in his capacity as Commander in Chief of the armed forces.

Support the Kurds, people are going to die. Don't support the Kurds, people are going to die.
”People are going to die” doesn’t impress me in many arguments. I know you say you are highlighting special pleading, not necessarily defending Trump. So I’m not going to make a moral argument - I’ll look at another angle.

My main point is this; even a minimal U.S. footprint seems to be highly efficient and effective to check Turkey’s ambition to overrun the border area. Why should the U.S. care? People who know more than Trump could see that those few special forces were, among other things, helping to secure 11,000 captured ISIS fighters. It was the least we could do. (Almost literally.) But Trump chose to cut and run *immediately* after one phone call with another head of state. A dictator trying to shore up his own totalitarian grasp on theocracy, but set that aside.

The cork in the dike seemed to be working and Trump pulled out the cork. Unilaterally, or at least as unilaterally as a president can get. Surely he has heard many persuasive arguments that the U.S. presence was on balance good for U.S. national security. For one thing, it matters that the U.S. stands with allies. For another, we have apparently left 11,000 ISIS soldiers and many of their family members in Kurdish prisons or camps with apparently no further U.S. oversight - hence no state is responsible for them. Unless there were reasons he hasn’t stated for the move, it seems highly irrational. Not just to me; to people who know a hell of a lot more about national security than Trump does. Like Graham and McConnell.

Surely this has been explained to Trump many times but he can’t seem to sustain knowledge unless it’s all about him. Trump can’t hold the pieces together unless he’s at the center of the topic.

Now he’s saying WH won’t cooperate with impeachment probe which is an issue he “gets” because it’s all about him.

Last edited by Minoosh; 8th October 2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Typos
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:22 PM   #2614
Minoosh
Philosopher

My point is that this has been the case all along, and that other countries are generally not stupid enough to ever imagine that unratified treaties are binding agreements.
The Kurds have no state; can Congress ratify treaties with freestanding armies?

Quote:
I think that pretty much every other nation state today understands that ...
Irrelevant. Kurds have no state.

Quote:
... this concern about a sitting President backing out of an un-concluded deal seems to be entirely a rhetorical construct of American progressives ...
... like Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell, Jim Mattis? You think no one tried to blame Obama for Iraq falling apart?

There are other bits I wanted to respond do but I’ve snipped too much and I’m on a phone so don’t want to re-create. Snipping was not out of disrespect, just trying for pith.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:34 PM   #2615
Minoosh
Philosopher

If you want to force the President to abide by his predecessor's agreements, the one and only recourse is for Congress to ratify them. Nobody is entitled to anything more, and I hope the Kurds never believed they were.
You think street cred doesn’t matter if we’re dealing
with stateless militias? Of course it does. Besides which, Trump was going against his own administration’s policy. He doesn’t know what policy even is, except for his own Trump First policy.
Old 8th October 2019, 04:57 PM   #2616
Minoosh
Philosopher

I recall a lot of non-Americans on this forum posting much the same "America is now a laughingstock in our country" rhetoric as we're seeing today. I'm not going to bother digging up examples of that, though, so feel free to consider it "unproven" if the claim doesn't sit right with you.
I would imagine that non-American posters might have a better idea of how the U.S. is regarded in their countries than Americans do.

Also, I don't recall a lot of such claims in Europe or Latin America during the Obama years.
Old 8th October 2019, 05:35 PM   #2617
wasapi
Philosopher

Yes. However, just days ago, when my son's Ecuadorian mother-in-law was visiting, I asked her what she thought of Trump? She laughed and told me in Spanish that everyone in Ecuador calls him the Clown, and he is the butt of many jokes.
Old 8th October 2019, 05:58 PM   #2618
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I would imagine that non-American posters might have a better idea of how the U.S. is regarded in their countries than Americans do.

Also, I don't recall a lot of such claims in Europe or Latin America during the Obama years.
Right. Bush: America's reputation is ruined! Obama: Nobel Peace Prize just for not being Bush! Trump: America's reputation is ruined!

And then the example of Trump ruining America's reputation is that he didn't continue a deal negotiated by his predecessor but not ratified by Congress. Even though America's reputation doesn't actually depend on that. Obviously.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:32 PM   #2619
Lurch
Muse

It requires but a veritable handful of Americans to keep the Turks from slaughtering Kurds, America's ally. If the US recalled that paltry protective detail and the Turks proceeded to pull another 'Armenian genocide', that would reflect badly on America.

To shrug and say, "Well, there was no signed treaty" is to be cynical to a frightening degree.

There are Iraqis *still* awaiting what was promised them for their cooperation with US forces. That's an already existing stain of dishonor.

Just as the common infantryman fights and sacrifices for his buddy, so too should a nation regard and honor her allies. Turning a back to a loyal friend is, as I've stated, a supreme betrayal. Codified treaty or not.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 07:54 PM   #2620
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
It requires but a veritable handful of Americans to keep the Turks from slaughtering Kurds, America's ally. If the US recalled that paltry protective detail and the Turks proceeded to pull another 'Armenian genocide', that would reflect badly on America.

To shrug and say, "Well, there was no signed treaty" is to be cynical to a frightening degree.

There are Iraqis *still* awaiting what was promised them for their cooperation with US forces. That's an already existing stain of dishonor.

Just as the common infantryman fights and sacrifices for his buddy, so too should a nation regard and honor her allies. Turning a back to a loyal friend is, as I've stated, a supreme betrayal. Codified treaty or not.
this is something that will cost US lives next time there is an operation involving lots of ground troops in the Middle East.

Diplomacy is not about treaties - if you can make a treaty, you are obviously already in such tight contact that the actual document is a formality.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 08:06 PM   #2621
Minoosh
Philosopher

Right. Bush: America's reputation is ruined! Obama: Nobel Peace Prize just for not being Bush! Trump: America's reputation is ruined!
For what it's worth I thought the Nobel prize was ridiculous, too. I don't blame Obama for it, though.

And then the example of Trump ruining America's reputation is that he didn't continue a deal negotiated by his predecessor but not ratified by Congress. Even though America's reputation doesn't actually depend on that. Obviously.
He wasn't even following his own administration's policy. I won't say HIS policy because he doesn't have any; he literally does not understand the advantages of having a strategy vs. governing out of his own personal whims.

This isn't the thread for it, but I do wonder what you think America's reputation depends on. I would think loyalty to allies matters. It's not whether the Kurds should have trusted the U.S.; it's whether the U.S. should be trustworthy - of course, within the limits of looking after its own interests.

Last edited by Minoosh; 8th October 2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:27 AM   #2622
dann
Philosopher

Well, over here, i.e. the Danish Realm, we haven't stopped laughing at how offended he got when nobody took his idea of buying Greenland seriously!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:32 AM   #2623
dann
Philosopher

Does anybody know anything about how the aging brain is affected by addiction to uppers?

David Pakman Show: Shocking Pics Confirm Trump's Use of "Uppers" (Oct. 7, 2019):
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Harvard Psychologist Says Donald Trump’s Claims about Destroying Turkey’s Economy Would ’Normally Trigger a Mental Health Hold’ (Newsweek, Oct. 8, 2019)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:33 AM   #2624
3point14
Pi

I wouldn't go that far.

But I would like to understand how far they trusted us, and what led them to that.

And maybe it *is* their fault that they trusted us. For example, if they understood that President Obama's assurances were not binding on his successors, and that they had no guarantee of continuance without an act of Congress, but chose to hang their fortune on President Obama's deal anyway, without any contingency plan, then that's absolutely on them.

On the other hand, if they didn't understand these nuances of the US system of governance, and thought that shaking hands with Obama made it a done deal in perpetuity, then this must be a rude awakening and probably not their fault at all.

So when I ask "why they were that gullible in the first place", I'm not saying it's their fault. Nor am I even insisting that they were gullible. It's not a rhetorical question. I'm literally wondering how well the Kurds understood the nature of the promises they were getting, and whether they understood that well enough to prepare contingencies for it, and how much of their own understanding isn't actually being reported to us.

This is a brilliant line of thought leading, ultimately, to no other country in the whole world ever cutting any type of deal ever about anything with the USA.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:49 AM   #2625
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Don't worry theprestige...we've got his back here in India.

Trump Worshipers

Last edited by Susheel; 9th October 2019 at 02:50 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:06 AM   #2626
calebprime
moleman

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Does anybody know anything about how the aging brain is affected by addiction to uppers?

David Pakman Show: Shocking Pics Confirm Trump's Use of "Uppers" (Oct. 7, 2019):
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Harvard Psychologist Says Donald Trump’s Claims about Destroying Turkey’s Economy Would ’Normally Trigger a Mental Health Hold’ (Newsweek, Oct. 8, 2019)
Sudafed? For stuffy nose?

I do know *one* poster here who speaks of having being addicted to antihistamines in his distant past, not to call him out, but that would be Dancing David.

But otherwise, this is hard to take seriously. Sudafed is also used to make meth in illegal cheap preparations, but we're not accusing Trump of doing that.

Am I missing something? Sudafed just isn't really an "upper".
Old 9th October 2019, 03:11 AM   #2627
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Sudafed? For stuffy nose?

I do know *one* poster here who speaks of having being addicted to antihistamines in his distant past, not to call him out, but that would be Dancing David.

But otherwise, this is hard to take seriously. Sudafed is also used to make meth in illegal cheap preparations, but we're not accusing Trump of doing that.

"the dose makes the poison"
Trump is constantly sniffing when on TV, so his level of self-medication is probably orders of magnitude higher than recommended.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:37 AM   #2628
dann
Philosopher

Yes, you are missing something. You are missing that Sudafed can be used as an upper: Pseudoephdrine: Other uses (Wikipedia)
And why did you leave out Adderall? (Wikipedia). Methinks, ...
Old 9th October 2019, 03:43 AM   #2629
calebprime
moleman

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Yes, you are missing something. You are missing that Sudafed can be used as an upper: Pseudoephdrine: Other uses (Wikipedia)
And why did you leave out Adderall? (Wikipedia). Methinks, ...
I left out Adderall because I didn't watch the whole video, which perhaps I assumed incorrectly was about Sudafed. I just tried to skim it to see if it was click-bait.

No, if we the public have evidence that Trump is taking Adderall, that's different. So, was there evidence? I'm not watching the video again.

I'm making the point that wealthy powerful people are unlikely to abuse silly drugs like Sudafed -- they're going to go with heavy prescription drugs -- think Michael Jackson -- or industrial-strength illegal drugs -- think Jerry Garcia. Trump would be the same.

eta: I read the underwhelming "other uses" in wiki you linked to.

Last edited by calebprime; 9th October 2019 at 03:46 AM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:52 AM   #2630
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Multiple people from "The Apprentice", wanting to stay anonymous, said that Trump sniffed Adderall constantly.

Also, the Sudafed might have slightly different ingredients, given that it is the UK version.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 9th October 2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:57 AM   #2631
dann
Philosopher

I left out Adderall because I didn't watch the whole video, which perhaps I assumed incorrectly was about Sudafed. I just tried to skim it to see if it was click-bait.

No, if we the public have evidence that Trump is taking Adderall, that's different. So, was there evidence? I'm not watching the video again.

I'm making the point that wealthy powerful people are unlikely to abuse silly drugs like Sudafed -- they're going to go with heavy prescription drugs -- think Michael Jackson -- or industrial-strength illegal drugs -- think Jerry Garcia. Trump would be the same.

"Again?!" What do you mean? You never watched it in the first place!!!
I don't have the number of Trump's coke and meth dealers, but I can give you this:

Quote:
Trump snorted Adderall all thru the day on ‘Apprentice’ he also ate UK. Sudafed like candy. But at night and at parties he switched to cocaine and high-end Methamphetamine that was hand-delivered by Bikers. The point is he was always high. That hasn’t changed.
Casler Noel (Twitter, Sep. 9, 2019)

Last edited by dann; 9th October 2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:58 AM   #2632
calebprime
moleman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Multiple people from "The Apprentice", wanting to stay anonymous, said that Trump sniffed Adderall constantly.

Also, the Sudafed might have slightly different ingredients, given that it is the UK version.
Just so we're clear here. I would tend to believe those anecdotes -- if you have multiple people who said they actually saw him snorting something, then he's snorting something serious -- like Adderall. Full stop.

And yes, his erratic behavior does seem like amphetamines could be involved. Full stop.

I just doubt that the picture of Sudafed in his drawer has anything to do with anything.

He doesn't have *everything* wrong with him, like Montgomery Burns.

I do think he's the worst president ever, and I hope he's not re-elected.
Old 9th October 2019, 04:00 AM   #2633
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

And they say so openly! Does anybody think that Trump wouldn't sue them if it were 'fake news'?!
Old 9th October 2019, 04:03 AM   #2634
dann
Philosopher

He doesn't have *everything* wrong with him, like Montgomery Burns.

The addict in chief is still young - unlike Burns:
"In the episode "Fraudcast News", Burns claims that he was born in 1881, making him 123 years old (when the episode aired in 2004)."
Old 9th October 2019, 04:20 AM   #2635
dann
Philosopher

The other Trumps as well, apparently:

Quote:
3 Things Trump will never acknowledge or deny: He is addicted to snorting Adderall. Melania is a long term roxycodone user. Ivanka & Don Jr were both blackout drinkers, now ‘dry drunks’
Noel Casler (Twitter, Sep. 18, 2019)
Old 9th October 2019, 04:21 AM   #2636
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

The fact that President Bush's opponents tried to depict him as President Trump before there even was a President Trump does not change the fact that Trump really is Trump. It leaves his opponents with no way to describe the difference without their accurate Trump description sounding exactly like their overblown Bush description, but it doesn't change the facts of reality: it's still a fact that the stuff they said about Bush & Trump is actually perfectly true of Trump. (I once had people at another forum constantly accusing me of being a Bush supporter because I kept pointing out the ways in which their Bush-bashing tirades differed from reality. I can't do that with Trump.)

Aderall can be sniffed? That's not the form it's normally given to patients by legitimate doctors, is it? If not, why take it in a different form?
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 04:28 AM   #2637
dann
Philosopher

This?

Quote:
While many Adderall users take the drug as prescribed, others misuse the drug by taking more than the recommended dose or taking it without a prescription. Some users will snort, smoke or inject the drug to achieve a faster, more intense high. Snorting stimulants is the second most common route of administration, other than swallowing, among college students.
Snorting Adderall (drugabuse.com)
Old 9th October 2019, 05:40 AM   #2638
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The fact that President Bush's opponents tried to depict him as President Trump before there even was a President Trump does not change the fact that Trump really is Trump. It leaves his opponents with no way to describe the difference without their accurate Trump description sounding exactly like their overblown Bush description, but it doesn't change the facts of reality: it's still a fact that the stuff they said about Bush & Trump is actually perfectly true of Trump. (I once had people at another forum constantly accusing me of being a Bush supporter because I kept pointing out the ways in which their Bush-bashing tirades differed from reality. I can't do that with Trump.)
This X 1,000.

I've heard people misuse the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" metaphor constantly throughout the Trump "Slow Moving Dumpster Fire that Walks Like An Administration" because I am shocked to learn apparently a lot of people when they first heard the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" story somehow managed to come to the conclusion that the moral of that story is either that wolves don't exist or that the boy and the flock deserved to be eaten by them and the people of the village should have stood by and pointed and laughed at him because he deserved it.

Yes I too took the Dems to task early on for trying to deal with Trump when they had already used up all their dramatic language on Bush and basically had nowhere linguistically to go since Bush was already the literal devil, the new Hitler, and was going to destroy democracy, ruin America's reputation forever, and ban dancing in that town from Footloose.

Yes Trump does come across as the literal strawman of George Bush and that does cause some... whatever the emotional equivalent of cognitive dissonance is.

But, and I keep coming back to this, I'm not willing to watch our country go down the drain just to punish the Dems for the unforgivable sin of being over-dramatic.

If spite, whataboutism, and the desire to be the "I told you so" guy weren't put above the actual good of the country for a while that would be just super.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:56 AM   #2639
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Here's something I hadn't seen before. A physician contends that Trump is displaying symptoms of untreated syphilis:

https://newrepublic.com/article/1407...zarre-behavior

He's on the record saying that avoiding STDs in the `70s was his own personal Vietnam. Maybe he wasn't successful. There was an episode of House in which an elderly woman was exhibiting significant changes in her behavior, and her son thought she was suffering from dementia. It turned out that she had contracted syphilis decades earlier, and the treatment at the time hadn't actually killed the bacteria. Her behavior was because it had become active again and was causing brain damage.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:58 AM   #2640
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is something quaint about a Head of State with Syphilis.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics