ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th November 2018, 06:10 PM   #321
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
My boss used to do a "TILT" at the end of the day (things I learned today). It didn't last long because he mostly learned that no one checked the channel in slack he was posting it in because the only thing going in there were his TILTs.

On a completely different note, we use LastPass as a company. It's ******* slick as hell when you're in my role. We do end to end tech support for something like 70 companies. I put the app on my phone, and I can page through every company at my finger tips. If you couple it with 2FA it gets rid of pretty much every security flaw as well. I was hesitant at first, but now I absolutely love it.
I believe you. Like I said, I use LastPass myself and I'd love to be able to have it on my work machine. But even if we did have it across the enterprise, there would be people who wouldn't use it because they have entirely the wrong idea about how IT security works.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 06:22 PM   #322
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I believe you. Like I said, I use LastPass myself and I'd love to be able to have it on my work machine. But even if we did have it across the enterprise, there would be people who wouldn't use it because they have entirely the wrong idea about how IT security works.
Truer words have not been spoken.

Yeah, doing it across an enterprise would be a nightmare. We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50ish employees, 40 of them that probably regularly use LastPass, so it was an easy switch. We use it for almost everything too. Network infrastructure notes, domain creds, pretty much anything relevant.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 06:28 PM   #323
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I dream of working in an environment like that.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 08:56 PM   #324
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I use KeePass because it appears to be utterly platform independent.

(i.e. same software on linux, windows, etc.)

I watch my team fumbling with passwords etc. every day, and I just can't persuade them to use it. Even though it is a supported app on our SOE.
Old 13th November 2018, 08:42 AM   #325
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I use KeePass ....

I watch my team fumbling with passwords etc. every day, and I just can't persuade them to use it. Even though it is a supported app on our SOE.

I have the same problem with family and friends: Explain KeePass, set it up for them, add a couple of entries, show them the auto-type feature (which is usually but not always wonderful).

Then later find that they're still (a) ignoring KeePass and (b) complaining about having to remember sooo many passwords.
Old 14th November 2018, 07:31 AM   #326
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dear Users.

Working for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Doing a job for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Our SLA with your company has a number of VIP clients; doctors and higher level executives, who pay more for faster service. That's literally what the SLA does.

You don't automatically get faster service you aren't paying for because you're "doing a job for a VIP."

Your company has a hierarchical structure. Everybody is doing their job for a VIP.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 12:17 PM   #327
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dear Users.

Working for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Doing a job for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Our SLA with your company has a number of VIP clients; doctors and higher level executives, who pay more for faster service. That's literally what the SLA does.

You don't automatically get faster service you aren't paying for because you're "doing a job for a VIP."

Your company has a hierarchical structure. Everybody is doing their job for a VIP.
Ha ha ha,
Too true, however people who work for Director, Assistant Superintendent, Deputy Superintendent, Superintendent or Executive Director are more VIP than others!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2018, 07:17 PM   #328
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yup. We have people who are specifically marked for VIP service, and if you don't have the mark, I don't care who you are. We do jobs in the order in which they are received.

- Randall Munroe
Old 15th November 2018, 04:07 AM   #329
Wudang
BOFH

One of the better BOFH tales https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/0...fh_episode_24/
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 11:39 AM   #330
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dear Helpdesk:

Southside, Southpoint, and Baptist South are not the same location. I have clients at all three of these. Saying there's a problem "At the South location" isn't overly useful information to put in a ticket.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 04:50 PM   #331
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Caller: Is a police records check necessary for building and IT access for contractors? I have someone starting tomorrow who doesn't have one.

Me: Yes, a police records check is necessary.

Caller: But they're starting tomorrow!

Me: No, they're not.

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th November 2018, 10:16 AM   #332
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Caller: Is a police records check necessary for building and IT access for contractors? I have someone starting tomorrow who doesn't have one.

Me: Yes, a police records check is necessary.

Caller: But they're starting tomorrow!

Me: No, they're not.
Yup, some people don't understand
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 11:08 AM   #333
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

USER: I need you to provide me with X, via your Service.

ME: As you know from administering your own instance of Service, I can't provide X until you give me the details for Y and Z which are contained in X. And as you also know, I can't provide Z until you give me the details for A, B, and C, which are contained in Z.

[time passes]

USER: I'm still waiting on Z.

Contrast with:

UNICORN: I know from my own time as a Service admin that the following information will ensure you provide me with X via your Service:
- A, B, and C contained in Z
- Y and Z contained in X
Thanks in advance!

ME: Done and done!

Last edited by theprestige; 20th November 2018 at 11:10 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:02 PM   #334
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We've been having an interesting series of calls over the last week that has destroyed one of our standard narratives.

Caller: Hi, I'm getting [x problem]. Is it Russian hackers?
Agent: *sigh* No, it's not Russian hackers.

Well, we've been having a problem where some people are seeing their Intranet home page firewalled, displaying a Cyrillic address.

It's totally Russian hackers.

- Randall Munroe
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:28 PM   #335
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

We've been having an interesting series of calls over the last week that has destroyed one of our standard narratives.

Caller: Hi, I'm getting [x problem]. Is it Russian hackers?
Agent: *sigh* No, it's not Russian hackers.

Well, we've been having a problem where some people are seeing their Intranet home page firewalled, displaying a Cyrillic address.

It's totally Russian hackers.
Nah. It's more likely hackers from any other country who can post in Cyrillic. That is, all the rest of the world.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:34 PM   #336
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Nah. It's more likely hackers from any other country who can post in Cyrillic. That is, all the rest of the world.
Tell that to the person who is convinced that every computer problem is the fault of Russian hackers.

It used to be viruses. I still get the occasional call from someone who says "I can't get into Outlook. Have I got a virus?"

* arthwollipot goes into Task Manager, ends the stray process, restarts Outlook.

"No, you don't have a virus. First, viruses don't do this. Second, we're protected against them by multiple layers of security. This was just a crash."

- Randall Munroe
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:40 PM   #337
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Tell that to the person who is convinced that every computer problem is the fault of Russian hackers.
You can always say "Yes, it's Russian hackers. And remember, 1000 Russian rubles is only AUS$20. So the easiest way to fix this is for you to send me the ransom money and I will pay them to take the hack off."

Quote:
It used to be viruses. I still get the occasional call from someone who says "I can't get into Outlook. Have I got a virus?"

* arthwollipot;12511537 goes into Task Manager, ends the stray process, restarts Outlook.

"No, you don't have a virus. First, viruses don't do this. Second, we're protected against them by multiple layers of security. This was just a crash."
Ditto stray Firefox processes stopping the browser restarting properly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:44 PM   #338
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ditto stray Firefox processes stopping the browser restarting properly.
Hell, it happens to all of them. IE, Word, Excel, I've even done it for PowerPoint.

Just wanna say, Skype for Business can be a pain in the arse.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:05 PM   #339
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Hell, it happens to all of them. IE, Word, Excel, I've even done it for PowerPoint.

Just wanna say, Skype for Business can be a pain in the arse.
May I point out that "all of them" seem to be Microsoft products, which they recently bought and apparently broke.
Old 25th November 2018, 07:11 AM   #340
paulhutch
Master Poster

May I point out that "all of them" seem to be Microsoft products, which they recently bought and apparently broke.
Nope, three are Microsoft originals, one was bought 20 years ago and the other 7 years ago.

Word written by Microsoft 1983.
Excel written by Microsoft 1987.
Powerpoint purchased in 1987.
IE written by Microsoft 1994. (some code licensed from Spyglass Mosaic.)
Skype purchased in 2011.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2018, 05:17 PM   #341
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've had it occur with Chrome too.

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th November 2018, 01:16 AM   #342
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

* arthwollipot;12511537 goes into Task Manager, ends the stray process, restarts Outlook.

The classic is the "I've got a virus, there are squiggly red lines under my wordz...."
Old 26th November 2018, 01:19 AM   #343
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It's more than likely to happen to any complex business standard program - sorry - application.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:20 PM   #344
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Recently I have even seen it in Adobe Reader ...
Old 27th November 2018, 06:45 PM   #345
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Seems all these apps/programs have one thing in common...
Old 27th November 2018, 07:49 PM   #346
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Seems all these apps/programs have one thing in common...
Yeah, they run on Windows.

Honestly, we have some 8000 users across something like 14 government agencies. I am one of twelve to fifteen agents (depending on the day), and I get a call like this maybe once a day at most. On average, that's not too bad.

Sucks when it happens to you, though.

- Randall Munroe
Old 27th November 2018, 08:19 PM   #347
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Me: Do the thing, and it will produce this result.

Them: But what if it doesn't?

Me: It will.

Me: IT WILL.

Them: ...

Me: ...

- Randall Munroe
Old 27th November 2018, 10:23 PM   #348
TheGnome
Thinker

This strikes me as a bit weird.

Your customer is asking a perfectly legitimate question IMO and you're just refusing to answer it. Have you never been wrong?

To me that just does not look like the behaviour of a competent helpdesk operator. I think I would get angry if you did that to me.
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 09:34 AM   #349
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post

Your customer is asking a perfectly legitimate question IMO and you're just refusing to answer it. Have you never been wrong?

To me that just does not look like the behaviour of a competent helpdesk operator. I think I would get angry if you did that to me.
I agree, at my organization it gets you retraining on the proper way to do customer service. An example response we would give in training is, "It has always worked before but if it does not work this time we will work out something else to try".
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 11:34 AM   #350
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
I agree, at my organization it gets you retraining on the proper way to do customer service. An example response we would give in training is, "It has always worked before but if it does not work this time we will work out something else to try".
If I'm the customer, I think I would try what the helpdesk person recommended and see if it works, rather than worry about, "What if it doesn't work?". Unless of course, I had good reason to believe that the recommended action would be harmful. Once I do it, it either works or it doesn't, and I don't need to worry about "what ifs".
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 12:45 PM   #351
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I hope Arthwollipot is exaggerating for effect, the standard answer is 'then we can see what can be done to fix it".

However I do know the feeling as a help desk person, part of the experience is in helping people cope with an anxious situation, even if the anxiety is unwarranted. I have in remote sessions spent 15 minutes watching some one demonstrate to their satisfaction that the issue is resolved. Even after the evidence of the first minute would indicate that the issue is resolved, they have wanted me to stay on the line while they repeat steps that continue to confirm that the issue was resolved.
Old 28th November 2018, 01:26 PM   #352
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The problem is people are just... well scared of computers in a way they aren't of cars or their washing machines or whatnot.

Imagine being a mechanic and have a car owner nervously stand over you asking over and over if you're sure, I mean 100% sure that changing your radio presets won't make the gas tank explode and you're in the ballpark.

"I demand you fix this problem I'm having without touching or doing anything because I'm afraid if this one Window is closed it will never come back ever" is a thing we have to deal with.
Old 28th November 2018, 03:29 PM   #353
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
If I'm the customer, I think I would try what the helpdesk person recommended and see if it works, rather than worry about, "What if it doesn't work?". Unless of course, I had good reason to believe that the recommended action would be harmful. Once I do it, it either works or it doesn't, and I don't need to worry about "what ifs".
The thinking I'm assuming is that they've probably had to wait for this suggestion, and if they try this action and it doesn't work, they're back at the end of the queue again; they want to know how to deal with any failure of the action plan immediately.

I've been in the middle of this situation many times; an action plan from the lab team which assumes the fix will work, while the customer (or often a field engineer) has experience that suggests it may well not, and they don't want to wait the couple of days or more to know what to do next. Often we're talking about a remote site with significant travel time, so any delay is a real pain.

This probably doesn't fit what arthwollipot is talking about, but it is a real concern in some cases.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 05:10 PM   #354
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I hope Arthwollipot is exaggerating for effect, the standard answer is 'then we can see what can be done to fix it".
Yes, I was, but the thing I was referring to was receiving an autoreply when sending email to the Service Desk. It's a purely mechanical response that happens automatically. It just doesn't not work. If you don't get an autoreply, you've sent your email to the wrong address.

- Randall Munroe
Old 28th November 2018, 06:09 PM   #355
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Here's one that annoys me. We receive an email - which is already not a good idea for urgent jobs - saying that they have a particular problem. I have a fix, which they can perform themself, and I also know that I (or another agent) will need to remote access the workstation if it doesn't work. So I send them an email reply saying "Please do [blah], and if you're still having a problem after doing this, phone the service desk on the following number". Almost immediately another email arrives saying "Yes, I've already done that."

So now my question becomes - do I send another email saying "Please phone the service desk on the following number"? I really want to. I really really want to.

But I won't. I'll phone them. Because of course I will.

- Randall Munroe
Old 28th November 2018, 06:15 PM   #356
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is people are just... well scared of computers in a way they aren't of cars or their washing machines or whatnot.

Imagine being a mechanic and have a car owner nervously stand over you asking over and over if you're sure, I mean 100% sure that changing your radio presets won't make the gas tank explode and you're in the ballpark.

"I demand you fix this problem I'm having without touching or doing anything because I'm afraid if this one Window is closed it will never come back ever" is a thing we have to deal with.
I suspect that a lot of people aren't scared of computers, really. They just *think* they are.

And we now have a generation of grown-ass people who have had computers for more of their lives than not, who still profess an absurd degree of computer incompetence.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 08:19 PM   #357
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I suspect that a lot of people aren't scared of computers, really. They just *think* they are.

And we now have a generation of grown-ass people who have had computers for more of their lives than not, who still profess an absurd degree of computer incompetence.
I think you're correct. We've let the "Oh I'm just not a computer person" become a sort of self sustaining meme / self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:59 PM   #358
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think you're correct. We've let the "Oh I'm just not a computer person" become a sort of self sustaining meme / self fulfilling prophecy.
Like "Oh I'm terrible at math(s)".

- Randall Munroe
Old 28th November 2018, 09:40 PM   #359
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
So now my question becomes - do I send another email saying "Please phone the service desk on the following number"? I really want to. I really really want to.

But I won't. I'll phone them. Because of course I will.

No, you reply to their email by asking "Did [blah] work?

EDIT: If they say it did work, you then use the Darat manoeuvre:
Question answered, thread closed.

Last edited by xterra; 28th November 2018 at 09:43 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2018, 10:19 PM   #360
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
No, you reply to their email by asking "Did [blah] work?

EDIT: If they say it did work, you then use the Darat manoeuvre:
Question answered, thread closed.
Yes, I often use that manoeuvre.

I called. They weren't there, so I left a message. I assume they called back and someone helped them because the job isn't in the Pending queue.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet