ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cold reading , mediums , psychics

Old 25th August 2019, 04:07 AM   #121
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Bad karma scorpion, you could ask the angels and give it to charity so how is that karma if you were to give it to those in need?
HI ! In answer to your question in another post, I could loosely be described as a spiritualist. I am on here because all the atheists need an opponent.

As for bad karma, for the angel to give me winning lottery numbers. It would take money away from legitimate winners who won by chance. I would owe them a karmic debt by cheating the lottery using the psychic , which is not usually allowed by the higher powers. As far as I am concerned, it was probably an angel of karma who allowed me a small win of £1182 because in the scheme of things it did not have much effect on any other winners.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:16 AM   #122
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Hi Amy,
While reading this thread, I've had a few messages through from the other side...
You have a scar on your leg, knee or thereabouts, from a childhood accident.
You had a pet that was very special to you in the late 70s or early 80s.
You used to love it when your dad used to pinch his thumb through his first two fingers and say that he had got your nose.
And bizarrely, you used to rush home or make sure you were in and ready to watch 'Moonlighting'.
I don't mean to freak you out, but hope you had a happy 44th birthday recently.

All guesses, how did I do?

<snip>
<snip>
Welshdean none were right lol, try again :-)

Let's see, here is my reading....

You live in Wales and often the weather is cold hahaha!
Ok, I'd like you to think about what I've told you today, perhaps the information is for a sister, brother, relative or friend, someone important to you, perhaps a neighbour!

<snip>
What if you were to pay by PayPal can they then retrieve your information?
Amy, please for your sakes, please stop. Don't try to think of ways that you can pay her without IDing yourself, think about how you can cease all contact with her and her kind. She has nothing to tell you that you don't already know. SHE IS A THIEF.

<snip>
Let's see, here is my reading....

You live in Wales and often the weather is cold hahaha!
OMFG We have a genuine psychic in our midst.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:20 AM   #123
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's just as easy to fool yourself into thinking you have a gift as it is to fool other people. Easier, probably.
Some mediums claim to be able to directly speak to spirits, and have a conversation with them. This can hardly be fooling themselves. They are either liars or they can speak to the dead. I sat I a developing circle with a friend of mine who developed into a clairaudient medium in front of my eyes.

He was my friend and had no reason to lie to me. He not only talked to spirits ,he used to go into a trance and a Chinese man spoke through him, and I was able to speak to this apparent spirit.

The spirit told me I was not meant to have an easy life because of my karma.
But he said. " I want you to remember this, you bring most of it on yourself"
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:22 AM   #124
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
HI ! In answer to your question in another post, I could loosely be described as a spiritualist. I am on here because all the atheists need an opponent.

As for bad karma, for the angel to give me winning lottery numbers. It would take money away from legitimate winners who won by chance. I would owe them a karmic debt by cheating the lottery using the psychic , which is not usually allowed by the higher powers. As far as I am concerned, it was probably an angel of karma who allowed me a small win of £1182 because in the scheme of things it did not have much effect on any other winners.
FFS, what a load of utter ******* bollocks.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:26 AM   #125
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
FFS, what a load of utter ******* bollocks.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...284aecc6fe.gif
I think its probably against the rules to poop on the forum.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 04:34 AM   #126
AmyW
Thinker

Some mediums claim to be able to directly speak to spirits, and have a conversation with them. This can hardly be fooling themselves. They are either liars or they can speak to the dead. I sat I a developing circle with a friend of mine who developed into a clairaudient medium in front of my eyes.

He was my friend and had no reason to lie to me. He not only talked to spirits ,he used to go into a trance and a Chinese man spoke through him, and I was able to speak to this apparent spirit.

Your friend sounds mentally ill, do you know schizophrenics hear voices too....
'Bad karma to those who may win" what even if that money could be spent helping the poor?
Why don't your angel guides tell 'mediums' of impending doom, when bad things are about to happen? Sounds like your angel guides are rather twisted to me
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:39 AM   #127
EHocking
Philosopher

They sound like Irish Catholics to me.
All that bad karma and guilt crap.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:45 AM   #128
Steve001
Graduate Poster

I smell a bit of cognitive dissonance. Can you spot it?

Yes, it does happen because most people need to believe just like you need too.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:48 AM   #129
Scorpion
Master Poster

Your friend sounds mentally ill, do you know schizophrenics hear voices too....
'Bad karma to those who may win" what even if that money could be spent helping the poor?
Why don't your angel guides tell 'mediums' of impending doom, when bad things are about to happen? Sounds like your angel guides are rather twisted to me
I have schizophrenia and hear voices whispering in my ears. Since they make no sense I decided to ignore them in 1971 so I do not care what they say which makes them nothing but background noise. But on rare occasions a spirit voice speaks directly into my head by telepathy, and tells me important things.

My friend who I sat in a psychic developing circle with had direct communication with spirits, and became a spiritualist medium who goes around the church circuit giving services. His name was Trevor Williams.

The angels of karma do not usually interfere directly in human affairs.
They administrate the circumstances of our incarnations before we are born, then leave us to our fate.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 04:48 AM   #130
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

[lazy racism] What was his name? Ly Ing Fook [/lazy racism]
Old 25th August 2019, 04:51 AM   #131
welshdean
Rugby World Cup
   CHAMPIONS

I think its probably against the rules to poop on the forum.
Indeed. You could be looking at a ban.
Old 25th August 2019, 05:10 AM   #132
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Some mediums claim to be able to directly speak to spirits, and have a conversation with them. This can hardly be fooling themselves.
Indeed. Those are either seriously mentally ill or, more likely, scumbag con artists. But I'm sure there are many (mostly amateurs) who are fooling themselves, given how easy it is to do.

Of course if they bothered to educate themselves they would quickly discover what was really going on, so that's no excuse. The ignorance is wilful.

Last edited by Pixel42; 25th August 2019 at 05:12 AM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 05:48 AM   #133
AmyW
Thinker

I have schizophrenia and hear voices whispering in my ears. Since they make no sense I decided to ignore them in 1971 so I do not care what they say which makes them nothing but background noise. But on rare occasions a spirit voice speaks directly into my head by telepathy, and tells me important things.

My friend who I sat in a psychic developing circle with had direct communication with spirits, and became a spiritualist medium who goes around the church circuit giving services. His name was Trevor Williams.

The angels of karma do not usually interfere directly in human affairs.
They administrate the circumstances of our incarnations before we are born, then leave us to our fate.
Are you taking the p*ss or are you being serious? Do you really have schizophrenia because it is a very deliberating illness:-(
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 05:49 AM   #134
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Indeed. Those are either seriously mentally ill or, more likely, scumbag con artists. But I'm sure there are many (mostly amateurs) who are fooling themselves, given how easy it is to do.

Of course if they bothered to educate themselves they would quickly discover what was really going on, so that's no excuse. The ignorance is wilful.

Thank you for your rationality, I am learning a lot :-)
Old 25th August 2019, 06:01 AM   #135
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

No, it isn't.
Yes, it is. It's well known in "spiritual" circles how to do scamming of the rubes. Not only so-called psychics, also assorted evangelical preachers who pretend they have God whispering in their ear. Same shtick, same purpose, same result.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 06:01 AM   #136
Scorpion
Master Poster

Are you taking the p*ss or are you being serious? Do you really have schizophrenia because it is a very deliberating illness:-(
I was diagnosed schizophrenic in 1969. I was given a poor prognosis in 1971 so I stopped going to psychiatrists and went to spiritualist churches instead.
There I got real help and had a lot of spiritual healing. Eventually I learned to control my chakras, and seal my aura against negative psychic energy.

It worked so well that I was able to get off medication, and study to become an electronics repair man. I then worked for many years under mental pressure of the job, without medication.

I am the living proof that schizophrenia is not just a mental illness but there is a psychic ingredient. This can be controlled by willpower.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 06:03 AM   #137
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

You thought I was kidding on page 1?
Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
One schizophrenic has already responded in this thread in favor of spirits.
He has been quite open about his schizophrenia, spirits, and lottery win. The posts are still here somewhere.
Old 25th August 2019, 06:06 AM   #138
AmyW
Thinker

Do you still hear the voices? Damn that's dangerous, I knew someone with this illness and if they started going to psychic circles they would be a danger to themselves and others. This is a mental illness, next you will tell me you were healed from your diabities. Its because you have such belief in it. I am sorry if I sound rude but spirituality is BS. Too many questions, why does your god/angels allow for such horror in this world?

Last edited by AmyW; 25th August 2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 06:08 AM   #139
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
You thought I was kidding on page 1?

He has been quite open about his schizophrenia, spirits, and lottery win. The posts are still here somewhere.
Is this the same man, I thought it was another name he had?
Old 25th August 2019, 06:16 AM   #140
Scorpion
Master Poster

Do you still hear the voices? Damn that's dangerous, I knew someone with this illness and if they started going to psychic circles they would be a danger to themselves and others. This is a mental illness, next you will tell me you were healed from your diabities. Its because you have such belief in it. I am sorry if I sound rude but spirituality is BS. Too many questions, why does your god/angels allow for such horror in this world?
Spirituality is not BS. Nor is psychic energy, I have been able to feel it all my life, and after learning about chakras and self healing I was able to function normally. Yes I still hear voices, but as I said I ignore them, as they are not helpful.

We are here to evolve through the struggle of life and things are not ultimately as bad as they seem. We are immortals who are set free of earthly suffering after death. There we assimilate what we have learned, and are benefited by all experience.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 06:20 AM   #141
AmyW
Thinker

Please I am sorry but that is bogus to me!

Evolve and learn, so where do serial killers evolve to? Pretty warped god you believe in!

Prove it, tap into your energy and tell me about me, my age etc etc or is your guides not open today?
Old 25th August 2019, 06:29 AM   #142
Scorpion
Master Poster

Evolve and learn, so where do serial killers evolve to? Pretty warped god you believe in!

Prove it, tap into your energy and tell me about me, my age etc etc or is your guides not open today?
Serial killers face bad karma in future incarnations, and in the spirit world they go to a darker place than normal people. The spirit world is divided into levels of existence and you go to a level, or plane of existence that you are spiritually suited to. The dark regions where evil people go are not eternal, and when they repent and want to progress they can do so.

I am not capable of getting any clear messages from the spirits, so can tell you nothing. I say there are genuine mediums, and if you find a good one they will be able to give you evidential messages. But this will only be evidence to you, and not to anyone else.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 25th August 2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 06:35 AM   #143
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Is this the same man, I thought it was another name he had?
Scorpion has been posting here for some time, Ricardo is a recent arrival. They seem to have similar irrational beliefs based on personal experience, and an identical determination to close their minds to information as to why such anecdotal evidence is unreliable.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:18 AM   #144
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

According to his beliefs a 3 year old girl being raped repeatedly by a group of soldiers is all part of the plan and she is learning something, her spirit may even have decided this for her before her current incarnation or the karma angels decided she needed the lesson.

You may think what I have wrote is disgusting but such terrible things have and do continue to happen. And under his beliefs it is all purposeful, planned and executed by his karma angels. In his world the most sickening events, the most terrible pain and the worse degradation of a human is not only planned but it is necessary.

He has one of the most horrendous belief systems I've ever come across.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:31 AM   #145
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
According to his beliefs a 3 year old girl being raped repeatedly by a group of soldiers is all part of the plan and she is learning something, her spirit may even have decided this for her before her current incarnation or the karma angels decided she needed the lesson.

You may think what I have wrote is disgusting but such terrible things have and do continue to happen. And under his beliefs it is all purposeful, planned and executed by his karma angels. In his world the most sickening events, the most terrible pain and the worse degradation of a human is not only planned but it is necessary.

Here we go again, why can't you look on the bright side?

I have not had an easy life, but I do not come up with all the negative stuff you do.

Also, I seem to recall it was a 12 year old girl last time you said this, not a three year old. You are just exaggerating now.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 25th August 2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:45 AM   #146
Pope130
Illuminator

This is something that has long bothered me about any belief system that accepts that things happen "According to God's plan." It removes all personal responsibility for your actions. Whatever harm I have done is not my fault, god, or karma, or the spirits wanted that harm to occur, I was just complying with the plan. It's the St. Judas defense, god sent his son/avatar to Earth to be a sacrifice, by betraying him Judas was complying with god's will.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 07:52 AM   #147
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
This is something that has long bothered me about any belief system that accepts that things happen "According to God's plan." It removes all personal responsibility for your actions. Whatever harm I have done is not my fault, god, or karma, or the spirits wanted that harm to occur, I was just complying with the plan. It's the St. Judas defense, god sent his son/avatar to Earth to be a sacrifice, by betraying him Judas was complying with god's will.
The theory is that every action has a reaction, and we create our own future destiny by what we do, and even what we think. The process of karma and reincarnation starts because our newly created immortal spirits are without experience, therefore untried and untested. So we incarnate, and then start to create karma by our own actions. This karma builds, and everything we caused to happen has to be accounted for over as many incarnations as it takes.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 09:45 AM   #148
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Scorpion are you a spiritualist, I don't understand why you are on here? I am confused.
As is everyone else. He's here to ask "Yeah, but like...what if it wasn't man"
Old 25th August 2019, 09:46 AM   #149
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Here we go again, why can't you look on the bright side?

I have not had an easy life, but I do not come up with all the negative stuff you do.

Also, I seem to recall it was a 12 year old girl last time you said this, not a three year old. You are just exaggerating now.
3-year-olds, can be and have been raped. You do know this right?
Old 25th August 2019, 10:12 AM   #150
wasapi
Philosopher

Spirituality is not BS. Nor is psychic energy, I have been able to feel it all my life, and after learning about chakras and self healing I was able to function normally. Yes I still hear voices, but as I said I ignore them, as they are not helpful.

We are here to evolve through the struggle of life and things are not ultimately as bad as they seem. We are immortals who are set free of earthly suffering after death. There we assimilate what we have learned, and are benefited by all experience.
Do we get to see unicorns after we die? Does the child who is raped and murdered get to finally have that pony?
Old 25th August 2019, 10:23 AM   #151
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Do we get to see unicorns after we die? Does the child who is raped and murdered get to finally have that pony?
Are all atheists cynics? Is thinking about negative things a compulsory part of atheism?

I don't think about such things. In fact I look away from the television when charities show horrible pictures of deformed children in an effort to get money from people. My mind does not seem to have been as damaged by life as some of the people on this forum, in spite of having had mental illness for over fifty years.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 10:39 AM   #152
JesseCuster
Muse

I am not capable of getting any clear messages from the spirits, so can tell you nothing.
Originally Posted by Scorpion
But on rare occasions a spirit voice speaks directly into my head by telepathy, and tells me important things.
Those statements are directly contradictory to each other. How can they speak directly into your mind and tell you important things if you're not capable of getting clear messages from them?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 10:45 AM   #153
Scorpion
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Those statements are directly contradictory to each other. How can they speak directly into your mind and tell you important things if you're not capable of getting clear messages from them?
Like I said, getting a voice directly into my head that makes sense is a rare event, in my lifetime its only happened about half a dozen times. I cannot normally communicate with the spirit world. I hear chattering voices whispering in my ears, but they make no sense so I ignore them.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 10:47 AM   #154
JesseCuster
Muse

In his world the most sickening events, the most terrible pain and the worse degradation of a human is not only planned but it is necessary.
Sometimes that sickening pain and degradation that happens to people is karma for bad things they did in a previous life, so that child being gang raped by soldiers is having that done to them because of things they did wrong in a previous life that they can't possible have any comprehension of and which they have no memory of, and when they're being punished.

This is what Scorpion's beliefs directly imply, but he doesn't like that implication so he never actually addresses it. He will just have a go at skeptics for pointing it out and will only speak of the punitive value or redemptive value of bad things that happen to people in general terms. Bad things happen, but they serve a purpose, so it's all part of a greater good plan. But he won't speak of how genocide or child rape or torture or any other horrific things are acceptable because they're part of some weird plan to evolve our souls. He won't defend genocide. But it falls under the 'bad things' he defends as being necessary as part of a greater good.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 10:48 AM   #155
AmyW
Thinker

Scorpion it's called being real, trust me I am not cynical, I am a happy person, even more so after being free from religion!
Old 25th August 2019, 10:51 AM   #156
JesseCuster
Muse

Are all atheists cynics? Is thinking about negative things a compulsory part of atheism?
It's not our religious beliefs that thinks child rape and genocide are all part of some grand plan with a noble goal.

Quote:
I don't think about such things.
When you're religious beliefs are such that the worst atrocities in the world (like genocide and child rape) are there to punish people for things they did in previous lives or will somehow amount to good for the victim in the long run (in a touchy feely vague 'spiritual evolution'), then you're better off not thinking about such things.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:55 AM   #157
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Sometimes that sickening pain and degradation that happens to people is karma for bad things they did in a previous life, so that child being gang raped by soldiers is having that done to them because of things they did wrong in a previous life that they can't possible have any comprehension of and which they have no memory of, and when they're being punished.

This is what Scorpion's beliefs directly imply, but he doesn't like that implication so he never actually addresses it. He will just have a go at skeptics for pointing it out and will only speak of the punitive value or redemptive value of bad things that happen to people in general terms. Bad things happen, but they serve a purpose, so it's all part of a greater good plan. But he won't speak of how genocide or child rape or torture or any other horrific things are acceptable because they're part of some weird plan to evolve our souls. He won't defend genocide. But it falls under the 'bad things' he defends as being necessary as part of a greater good.
Well said !!!!
Old 25th August 2019, 11:01 AM   #158
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I don't think about such things. In fact I look away from the television when charities show horrible pictures of deformed children in an effort to get money from people.
Thinking through the implications of a belief before subscribing to it is surely the least that can be expected from any civilised person. Failing to do so has cost humanity dear. Your reaction to Darat doing what you should have done yourself does not reflect well on you.
Old 25th August 2019, 11:07 AM   #159
Scorpion
Master Poster

Here is a scientific study that shows something unexpected occurs in mediums brains.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...irit-mediums-0
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 25th August 2019, 11:08 AM   #160
wasapi
Philosopher

I don't think about such things. In fact I look away from the television when charities show horrible pictures of deformed children in an effort to get money from people. My mind does not seem to have been as damaged by life as some of the people on this forum, in spite of having had mental illness for over fifty years.
So, putting your head in the sand or hiding your eyes from others pain is - spiritual?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal