ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cold reading , mediums , psychics

Old 28th August 2019, 07:40 AM   #201
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
One of the best sources of information on how to run the psychic medium con is, unfortunately, the books written by psychic debunkers.
And the response to those books from the shadier sides of the industry, more often than not, is "The debunkers have to use those kinds of tricks, but I'm the real deal." In other words, they double down on the the prospect that the rubes won't figure out how it works. I guess we're supposed to believe that some magicians really do saw the lady in half despite the various common ways of creating the illusion.

I probably should revise my previous comments to say there are three camps. As I said, I know people who are basically just peer counselors who believe they have some sort of supernatural ability. These are generally the sort of people who say, "The spirit of your mother wants you to know she's proud of you and wants you to be happy." Okay, whatever. I tend to consider them harmless.

Then there are the stage mentalists who are primarily entertainers and want their audiences to know that going in. I guess those aren't the people we're talking about, but therre they are. The actor who played young Hodor in Game of Thrones is doing that sort of thing on the London stage these days.

The ones we have to watch out for are the ones who might have the potential to cause some real harm. "The spirit of your mother wants you to give me all your money." Or then also those commercial mediums who work strong and become very famous and rich, and you have to dig deeply into the fine print to find where they disavow any reliance you might want to take from them. I highly doubt these people believe they have a real gift any more than the stage mentalists who just don't happen to be as rich or famous.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 09:07 AM   #202
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I am sorry for your tragic losses.
No, you aren't.

They happened far away from you, and don't affect you.
Also, you claim that every tragedy happens so souls can learn and progress.

You are indifferent at best, gleeful at worst.
Old 28th August 2019, 09:08 AM   #203
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I was only impressed by a psychic reading I had once. Even during my new age wooster days, I could usually tell that the reader was performing a trick. But when I was 19 or so, my then-partner bought me a reading with this whoopty-doo psychic he liked for my birthday. It was conducted over the phone, and the woman did send me a recording of the conversation afterward (which I no longer have).

At the time, I thought this one was the real deal, chiefly because the reader opened our conversation by stating something she really couldn't have known (a medical condition I had), especially not over the phone. The first question I asked my partner after hanging up was, "Did you tell her about X?" He said he hadn't. So, mind blown! I met a psychic.

Years later, I realize he was just lying. He did tell her, and he probably also told her to open with that information, in order to shock me and diffuse my skepticism. I don't remember anything else we talked about as being particularly impressive. But because she opened with that seeming bombshell, I was primed to find the whole experience "amazing."

Turns out, the only amazing factor was probably just my partner's willingness to tell fat whoppers (which had, I assure you, been amply demonstrated in other ways by the time we split up).

Last edited by isissxn; 28th August 2019 at 09:11 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 09:20 AM   #204
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

delete - Got paranoid that the psychic might somehow come on here, lol, so I'm removing some further detail about the reading!

It was a long time ago, but eh. This is how my mind works.

Last edited by isissxn; 28th August 2019 at 10:27 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 10:38 AM   #205
Venom
Illuminator

lol
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 10:44 AM   #206
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
lol
Not because she's psychic and would sense the post or anything, just to be clear! I just thought, "Hmmm, wouldn't it be just my luck if that same psychic came here one day to debate the grumpy old skeptics, and she saw these posts and pieced together that it was me and remembered me and thought I was a bitch?" I don't know why I care, but that just wouldn't be good, lol.

This is the same kind of thinking that causes me to always be afraid that planes flying over are going to crash and land on my house.
Old 28th August 2019, 11:31 AM   #207
AmyW
Thinker

Thank you for your comments. Ok, I am going to share something with you. I suffer from low self esteem, I care immensely for others (have done care work in the past) and would one day like to be a counsellor
Anyhow a medium a while back (as I say I am trying to debunk all the nonsense I once believed) and it is weird how she stated God says I have a giving heart and care for others but not myself.
Do you think her reading is very general and in fact a lot of people are like this... care for others but not ery much for themselves. What do you think-

'God gave you a huge heart, which you are to use to assist others. Before you can do that, you must assist yourself. LOVE yourself, is what God says. FORGIVE yourself, is what God says. You are human, just like everyone else on the planet, which means we are not perfect. God sent us here to learn about ourselves, and to learn about each other, how we fit into the world around us. We are not to judge ourselves or others. We are to accept ourselves for who we are, and work on strengthening our gifts. Your gift, Amy, is your huge heart, your love for others. But again, you give this love to others, but not yourself. Your homework, God says, is to learn how to love yourself exactly as you are right now. In doing so, you can help others learn to love themselves'
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 11:35 AM   #208
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Thank you for your comments. Ok, I am going to share something with you. I suffer from low self esteem, I care immensely for others (have done care work in the past) and would one day like to be a counsellor
Anyhow a medium a while back (as I say I am trying to debunk all the nonsense I once believed) and it is weird how she stated God says I have a giving heart and care for others but not myself.
Do you think her reading is very general and in fact a lot of people are like this... care for others but not ery much for themselves. What do you think-

'God gave you a huge heart, which you are to use to assist others. Before you can do that, you must assist yourself. LOVE yourself, is what God says. FORGIVE yourself, is what God says. You are human, just like everyone else on the planet, which means we are not perfect. God sent us here to learn about ourselves, and to learn about each other, how we fit into the world around us. We are not to judge ourselves or others. We are to accept ourselves for who we are, and work on strengthening our gifts. Your gift, Amy, is your huge heart, your love for others. But again, you give this love to others, but not yourself. Your homework, God says, is to learn how to love yourself exactly as you are right now. In doing so, you can help others learn to love themselves'
This paragraph could apply to anyone who has an inkling to believe in God. Even if you discard the God part, this is how a lot of people see themselves. This is over the top generic.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 12:11 PM   #209
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Sorry, but it's a Barnum statement, it applies to everyone, or at least everyone believes it does. Everyone has something they regret, everyone thinks they're a good person (even if there are 'reasons' why they can't actually DO anything good at the moment). Other things to look for are self contradictory statements that disguise that fact so they sound right whichever statement is correct ( "You have a gregarious spirit but can be happy alone" or making compliments (that anyone will accept, right or wrong) sound like a flaw so the mark can 'reluctantly' admit to it. "You try too hard to make others happy".

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 12:18 PM   #210
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It's called the Forer Effect, or sometimes the Barnum Effect.

Quote:
In 1948, in what has been described as a "classic experiment",[10] psychologist Bertram R. Forer gave a psychology test – his so-called "Diagnostic Interest Blank" – to 39 of his psychology students who were told that they would each receive a brief personality vignette or sketch based on their test results. One week later Forer gave each student a purportedly individualized sketch and asked each of them to rate it on how well it applied. In reality, each student received the same sketch, consisting of the following items:[11]

You have a great need for other people to like and admire you.
You have a tendency to be critical of yourself.
You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage.
While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them.
Your sexual adjustment has presented problems for you.
Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside.
At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.
You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.
You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof.
You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.
At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved.
Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.
Security is one of your major goals in life.

On average, the students rated its accuracy as 4.30 on a scale of 0 (very poor) to 5 (excellent). Only after the ratings were turned in was it revealed that each student had received an identical sketch assembled by Forer from a newsstand astrology book.[11] The sketch contains statements that are vague and general enough to apply to most people.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:20 PM   #211
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Thanks.

This is a much better reply than my incredulity.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2019, 12:42 PM   #212
8enotto
Graduate Poster

She was playing Vegas odds. Most people are Christian of some sort, everyone wants to hear good things about themselves. And somebody told the psychic about your work, just a little bit. She didn't know whom you counciled for what. It was probably you.

She tells you about four toes on your left foot and your parents are in Cancun for the week, and none of this is possible to see when you walked in, those are specific longshot bets that will make you know she has a gift, or she is a complete fraud.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:14 AM   #213
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
She was playing Vegas odds. Most people are Christian of some sort, everyone wants to hear good things about themselves. And somebody told the psychic about your work, just a little bit. She didn't know whom you counciled for what. It was probably you.

She tells you about four toes on your left foot and your parents are in Cancun for the week, and none of this is possible to see when you walked in, those are specific longshot bets that will make you know she has a gift, or she is a complete fraud.
Thanks every one, I've received such amazing advice and the stories people have told me.
No she didn't know about my work experience, she didn't specify what work I did, just that I had a big heart and I care for others more than my self (love) so would you say that it was a very general statement? Would that apply for a lot of people that they can love other people but not love themselves?
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:18 AM   #214
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Thanks every one, I've received such amazing advice and the stories people have told me.
No she didn't know about my work experience, she didn't specify what work I did, just that I had a big heart and I care for others more than my self (love) so would you say that it was a very general statement? Would that apply for a lot of people that they can love other people but not love themselves?
Everybody wants to think of themselves that they care greatly for other people. Psychics stoke the ego. They tell people the things that they think they want to hear. Things that confirm all the best things they think about themselves. You'll never hear a psychic tell someone that they're a bit of an *******.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 12:46 AM   #215
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Psychics throw stuff out knowing people will glom on to whatever most resonates with them and ignore the rest. That's why people who are given exactly the same reading will all consider it accurate. They're all going to hear something in it that makes them think "wow, how did she know that", though it might be a different thing for each of them.
Old 29th August 2019, 12:55 AM   #216
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The way to eliminate the Forer Effect is to do a blind test. An astrologer, say, might prepare five readings for five subjects but instead of giving each subject their horoscope and asking if they think it's accurate (which would prove nothing because of the Forer Effect) they would give all five horoscopes to all five subjects and ask each to pick out the one they think is theirs - the one which resonates with them the most. If all that's going on is the Forer Effect then all the horoscopes will seem equally accurate to all the subjects, and the one that happens to resonate the most will only be the one that's actually theirs as often as would be expected by chance. But if there's anything to astrology at all then the one that's actually theirs should resonate the most, and should be identified successfully significantly more often than would be expected by chance.

That's exactly the sort of result which would have won someone the million dollars in the JREF challenge. No-one - no astrologer, psychic, or tarot card reader- has ever passed such a test.
Old 29th August 2019, 12:59 AM   #217
AmyW
Thinker

This psychic also said -

God responds, "There are many studies I have created that do not revolve around math and science. The study of the heart, of connection to others, is your specialty. Is it scientific? There are scientific aspects to it, but most would not consider it scientific. Does that make it less relevant? No. It is even more relevant because it defines relationships and how we work together on the planet. You have a gift. Your gift is seeing others' pain and then helping them through it. We need you to step into your gift so you can help others. But first, you must help yourself with your pain. Again, LOVE yourself. From there, all other things will fall into place

What is so strange is that my passion is helping others, my line of work used to be looking after elderly people and one day I would like to be a counsellor, helping those in need of help with problems such as addictions etc... again is this weird she new that or is this very general. Here is the link to her website, id like to know what you think

https://www.sarinabaptista.com
Old 29th August 2019, 01:05 AM   #218
AmyW
Thinker

The way to eliminate the Forer Effect is to do a blind test. An astrologer, say, might prepare five readings for five subjects but instead of giving each subject their horoscope and asking if they think it's accurate (which would prove nothing because of the Forer Effect) they would give all five horoscopes to all five subjects and ask each to pick out the one they think is theirs - the one which resonates with them the most. If all that's going on is the Forer Effect then all the horoscopes will seem equally accurate to all the subjects, and the one that happens to resonate the most will only be the one that's actually theirs as often as would be expected by chance. But if there's anything to astrology at all then the one that's actually theirs should resonate the most, and should be identified successfully significantly more often than would be expected by chance.

That's exactly the sort of result which would have won someone the million dollars in the JREF challenge. No-one - no astrologer, psychic, or tarot card reader- has ever passed such a test.
That's amazing, thank goodness people likes James exists, rational thinkers, it's amazing that not one passed and reassuring. Is the test still available? What they have is chance, they don't believe in coincidences but that's all it is sometimes
Old 29th August 2019, 01:19 AM   #219
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The JREF million dollar challenge has been wound up but there are other organizations who offer prizes which also remain unclaimed. This one, for example, with which I am peripherally involved, offers $100,000:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...igations_Group
Old 29th August 2019, 02:15 AM   #220
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Everybody wants to think of themselves that they care greatly for other people.
Except for Scorpion, apparently.
Old 29th August 2019, 02:59 AM   #221
Greebo
Thinker

AmyW, as others have said before these abilities haven't been proved to exist . My anecdote to show how they can act; I knew three people called John who had died, an Uncle, my father and my best friend (who was 6 inches taller than me, all three had died of cancer – relevant later).

With a friend who thought that there might be something in it, I went to an event where the “real deal” was going to put people in touch with the spirit world.

She gave out a few vague ideas with no takers then asked the really precise question of “there is some one here, near the middle (of the seating) who has lost someone with a name starting with J. John or Jack or Jill – something like that”.

That was me, so I said I had. I was told that they were free of pain and illness now, so I asked “which one?”, I was told it was the one that I looked up to, again I asked which one. Vague statements were made for a minute or so which applied to at least two of my Johns, every time I replied “which one”. In the end they gave up on me and claimed it as a “hit”.

Last edited by Greebo; 29th August 2019 at 03:01 AM.
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 03:29 AM   #222
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

This psychic also said -

God responds, "There are many studies I have created that do not revolve around math and science. The study of the heart, of connection to others, is your specialty. Is it scientific? There are scientific aspects to it, but most would not consider it scientific. Does that make it less relevant? No. It is even more relevant because it defines relationships and how we work together on the planet. You have a gift. Your gift is seeing others' pain and then helping them through it. We need you to step into your gift so you can help others. But first, you must help yourself with your pain. Again, LOVE yourself. From there, all other things will fall into place

What is so strange is that my passion is helping others, my line of work used to be looking after elderly people and one day I would like to be a counsellor, helping those in need of help with problems such as addictions etc... again is this weird she new that or is this very general. Here is the link to her website, id like to know what you think

You're creating the connection between the quote and your old job, it isn't in the words. Everyone thinks they're empathic and that's all the quote really says, all be it with a bit of "don't look for evidence" thrown in and the ever popular "love yourself" coda. No psychic ever says "you're a selfish git who has too much money, stop spending it on claptrap like this and give it to charity instead"

Example:

"You're a good, caring person who tries to help people. I sense you sometimes feel that you're not doing enough, and I know it troubles you not to be doing more but you have to take care of yourself first so you can be in a position to do good for others"

This applies to anyone that isn't a stone cold psychopath, even misers think they would be generous if they had enough. Anyone involved, however loosely, in any charity or any caring profession, will think it's a particularly good hit, but so will anyone who donates time or money, or would like to work in such a role, or who helps out their friends, or drops their change in the charity box by the till. And the really clever & cynical bit is that whether you're working yourself into the ground helping the sick and dying, or sitting at home seeing adverts for good causes you're not going to donate to it says "Don't worry, you're doing all you can do, don't feel bad about it" and that's nice if you shouldn't feel bad about it and really nice if (like most of us if we're honest) we maybe should a bit.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 03:36 AM   #223
Lothian
should be banned

God says don't listen to psychics
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 03:51 AM   #224
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
God says don't listen to psychics
Is this what the bible says?
Old 29th August 2019, 03:58 AM   #225
kali1137
Muse

Yes the bible absolutely warns against physics. I believe some can be found in Deuteronomy 18:9-14
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 04:09 AM   #226
Lothian
should be banned

Is this what the bible says?
It is what the bible says. God however says whatever you want it to say, in the same way a psychic reading tells you whatever you want it to tell you.

If you want to believe it you will read the words in a way that fits in with that desire.

As mentioned psychic readings don't stand up to tests.

That said I sense in you that when younger you had a particular talent, perhaps music or sport. While you had a lot of early promise it was not something you followed through to the extent you could have. A regret maybe? I am also getting an incident with water. Can you tell me what is that about?

Last edited by Lothian; 29th August 2019 at 04:10 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 04:50 AM   #227
AmyW
Thinker

I don't believe in the bible or any god but what is interesting is the fact that she claims she can channel god.... these people why do they state they can channel 'god'?
Old 29th August 2019, 05:10 AM   #228
Lothian
should be banned

I don't believe in the bible or any god but what is interesting is the fact that she claims she can channel god.... these people why do they state they can channel 'god'?
Money
Old 29th August 2019, 05:38 AM   #229
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

As Lothian suggests, the scam artists will say whatever they need to say to get your money. Pretending to be channelling god will often work because a lot of people already believe in God, so for them it's a plausible claim. As for the ones who aren't scam artists, well believing God is talking to you is one of the commonest delusions.
Old 29th August 2019, 06:15 AM   #230
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

As Lothian suggests, the scam artists will say whatever they need to say to get your money. Pretending to be channelling god will often work because a lot of people already believe in God, so for them it's a plausible claim. As for the ones who aren't scam artists, well believing God is talking to you is one of the commonest delusions.
Don't forget prestige. As with all woo.

This is my argument against the idea that someone who believes in these things, be it mediumship, faith healing, homeopathy... whatever, and doesn't charge people money for it is being 'good'. By claiming these things they are appropriating a respect and an authority they haven't earned which is at best dishonest and at worst dangerous. The homeopath or faith healer is not a doctor and the 'medium' is not a grief counsellor. There are reasons why we (in most places) expect people to demonstrate knowledge and competence in these fields before practicing.

Old 29th August 2019, 06:42 AM   #231
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Don't forget prestige. As with all woo.

This is my argument against the idea that someone who believes in these things, be it mediumship, faith healing, homeopathy... whatever, and doesn't charge people money for it is being 'good'. By claiming these things they are appropriating a respect and an authority they haven't earned which is at best dishonest and at worst dangerous. The homeopath or faith healer is not a doctor and the 'medium' is not a grief counsellor. There are reasons why we (in most places) expect people to demonstrate knowledge and competence in these fields before practicing.
Absolutely, it's definitely also a way for people who are in no way special to feel that they are. A friend of my sister's is a reiki practitioner. Being able to believe she has the power to heal people, despite not having the intellect or work ethic to complete the years of study to acquire the necessary skills and experience to actually do so, is clearly her main motivation.
Old 29th August 2019, 06:42 AM   #232
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

This psychic also said -

Are you talking to her now? Or is it just a coincidence that she is blathering on about scientific studies at the same time we are discussing them here?

If you are talking to her again now, I'm kind of surprised. I thought you were getting what everyone here was telling you about these people. You're wasting your time and money, and more than that, you are clearly giving yourself anxiety over the whole thing. There are no psychics, period. There are certain people who may be a bit more intuitive than your average person - think Adrian Monk from that show Monk, if you've ever seen it - and people like that often make good cold readers, but they are positively not doing anything supernatural.
Old 29th August 2019, 06:44 AM   #233
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

As Penn Jillette said in their psychic episode another weird factor is... a lot of these so called psychics start to believing in their own bull. A lot of these tricks, especially cold reading, are things you can start doing by accident.

But, as Penn says, lying to yourself does not make lying to others okay.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 06:53 AM   #234
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
As Penn Jillette said in their psychic episode another weird factor is... a lot of these so called psychics start to believing in their own bull. A lot of these tricks, especially cold reading, are things you can start doing by accident.

But, as Penn says, lying to yourself does not make lying to others okay.
Very good point! They don't all know they're lying, but they still are. That's why a few psychics who really did believe in themselves have been flabbergasted upon failing to past double-blind tests. Others just make years worth of excuses to avoid the tests (cough Sylvia cough), so I imagine they know they're full of it.
Old 29th August 2019, 07:13 AM   #235
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Because they worship the Almighty Dollar.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 07:28 AM   #236
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I am one gringo in a central Mexican city. Others come and go, but as money isn't easy to get here compared to other places few stay long.

One day, years ago walking downtown I see a hippy type typical neo Woodstock style and note, he is seriously out of place here. As I had been there many times he was new to town but spoke better Spanish than I. As I look at him thinking ' he is way out of place here, working some odd angle... ' he approached me and firmly told me I need to visit his office.
Hands me a card offering six types of psychic services all at good rates. It said so right on the card..

There was his angle. He had the look that works in Mex City, a slick card and a good con approach all in one package. Dude even looked a bit of Cheech Marin which probably wasn't any accident on his part.
As there were no others here doing what he offered it might have looked like virgin territory. He never asked why there wasn't.

And a month later the shingle he hung at the street entrance to a 2nd floor apartments was gone.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 08:01 AM   #237
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
This psychic also said -

What is so strange is that my passion is helping others, my line of work used to be looking after elderly people and one day I would like to be a counsellor, helping those in need of help with problems such as addictions etc... again is this weird she new that or is this very general.

Just because the advice is general, and applies to most people, doesn't mean it can't be good advice for you. If it made an impact on you, think about why. If you like to help other people through their pain and problems, and are good at it, good for you and keep at it! If you need to love yourself more and put more joy into your own life in order to be even better at helping others, then look into ways you might try to do that. (Of course that's far from simple advice to follow!)

The ideas aren't contaminated somehow, just because a psychic practitioner uttered them.
Old 29th August 2019, 08:28 AM   #238
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Paying someone to see the contents of your own pockets or purse isn't a good idea. Most people are good and somewhat generous.

Sure, if done for entertainment it's legal but is it really a service?
Old 29th August 2019, 02:42 PM   #239
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Except for Scorpion, apparently.
Yes, an oft neglected aspect of Scorpion's position. As far as Scorpion is concerned, all suffering in this world is caused by Karma. And we cannot rightfully interfere with Karma because reasons.

Therefore we should make no attempt to alleviate the suffering of others because that would simply mess with their Karma which has required them to learn....something.

Now, personally, I have various charities on direct debit. Worthy causes all. In Scorpion's worldview, I should stop all such contributions because I am directly interfering with their Karma, and those victims not only could and should be suffering, but my interference guarantees that they will simply have to do it again.

At base, Scorpion is attempting to not give a rat's patootie about anyone else but the self. That is flat out narcissism. I suspect that Scorpion has not thought through where his claims inevitably end.

Let me give a concrete example. I have often stopped by the roadside to help out some stranger with a flat tire or such like. That is simple humanity to me. In Scorpion's world it would be wrong for me to do so because that flat tire is a result of that strangers Karma and to assist would obviate the pain that person must feel to expiate whatever bad Karma they had accumulated.

Now, I am certain that the perspicacious will glom onto where Scorpions inevitable conclusion will be. It is not a pretty place.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2019, 02:52 PM   #240
AmyW
Thinker

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Are you talking to her now? Or is it just a coincidence that she is blathering on about scientific studies at the same time we are discussing them here?

If you are talking to her again now, I'm kind of surprised. I thought you were getting what everyone here was telling you about these people. You're wasting your time and money, and more than that, you are clearly giving yourself anxiety over the whole thing. There are no psychics, period. There are certain people who may be a bit more intuitive than your average person - think Adrian Monk from that show Monk, if you've ever seen it - and people like that often make good cold readers, but they are positively not doing anything supernatural.
This was a reading given some time ago. I most certainly am not speaking to any now and won't ever again. For some reason spirituality and religion does cause me anxiety.
I suffer from low self esteem and this medium claiming she can channel god spooked me. It amazes me that she really believes she can channel god, some even claim that there are bad spirits, it's insane that they believe these things. Claiming she can 'hear' god. Religion is dangerous in my opinion. I've been there and it caused a lot of anxiety. I remember being in a church service some years ago, there they were spouting about satan and how he impacts the things around us. Totally scared me !

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal