ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 25th September 2019, 02:28 AM   #241
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Parliament should have passed a no confidence motion against BJ. Allowing the SC to set new standards for the PM instead is an abrogation of their democratic duty.
Why would they save him from making a fool of himself?
Old 25th September 2019, 02:28 AM   #242
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Which section of the constitution outlines these circumstances and why was there no reference to it in the SC decision?

No matter what word smithing you use, the SC created a new law and applied it to the PM retrospectively.
What new law did they create?

this is nonsense. you don't know what you are talking about
Old 25th September 2019, 02:33 AM   #243
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Just to be clear.... the SC were asked in effect 'is this ok? can a PM simply prorogue parliament for as long as he wants for any reason he wants?'

The SC ruled 'No, there are limits to that power.'

That's not a coup, not a new law, not anything out of the ordinary at all.

If you had asked 1000 people prior to about a month ago whether a prime minister should be able to just shut down parliament for any reason for any length of time, 1001 would have said 'NO'
Old 25th September 2019, 02:41 AM   #244
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Why would they save him from making a fool of himself?
Conservatives pass a law preventing the party in power to unilaterally call premature elections based on advantageous timing for themselves.

Also Conservatives complain because the opposition parties won't agree to call a premature election in the narrow window of opportunity that is advantageous to Boris.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 03:09 AM   #245
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Just to be clear.... the SC were asked in effect 'is this ok? can a PM simply prorogue parliament for as long as he wants for any reason he wants?'

If you had asked 1000 people prior to about a month ago whether a prime minister should be able to just shut down parliament for any reason for any length of time, 1001 would have said 'NO'
Especially the likes of Mogg.
Old 25th September 2019, 03:09 AM   #246
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Still amazed that Bojo picked Rees Moss to be the House Majority leader. Apparenly a lot of Tories cannot stand him. Brilliant choice ,Boris.
Makes sense, he didn't want someone who could be a threat within the party.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 03:26 AM   #247
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Michael Gove tells LBC Radio in an interview "The Prime Minister is a born winner"
So all the losing comes via nurture?
Old 25th September 2019, 03:35 AM   #248
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I think that another clarification about proroguing is needed. Proroguing is not merely a parliamentary procedure. It is part of constitutional law. It was a power that the monarch had when the first parliaments appeared, to call and then dismiss (prorogue) parliament as and when he (or she) determined if a parliament should sit.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk...ish-parliament

"Proroguing was first used in the 15th century. Back then, governments were usually summoned for brief periods, then dismissed at the monarch’s whim. Those early parliaments were designed to approve taxes and royal expenditures, and were given the monarchical boot when they were done.

Over time, though, parliament gained more power, and monarchs started using prorogation to put them in check. For example, in 1759 Elizabeth I prorogued parliament to avoid public debate of a potential suitor, Francis, Duke of Alencon. Other monarchs used the tactic for good reason—in 1608, for example, James IV issued a prorogation in response to a typhus epidemic in London."

Proroguing is a common law that is part of the UK's Constitutional Law.

Last edited by Nessie; 25th September 2019 at 03:36 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 03:48 AM   #249
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I think that another clarification about proroguing is needed. Proroguing is not merely a parliamentary procedure. It is part of constitutional law. It was a power that the monarch had when the first parliaments appeared, to call and then dismiss (prorogue) parliament as and when he (or she) determined if a parliament should sit.

"Proroguing was first used in the 15th century. Back then, governments were usually summoned for brief periods, then dismissed at the monarch’s whim. Those early parliaments were designed to approve taxes and royal expenditures, and were given the monarchical boot when they were done.

Over time, though, parliament gained more power, and monarchs started using prorogation to put them in check. For example, in 1759 Elizabeth I prorogued parliament to avoid public debate of a potential suitor, Francis, Duke of Alencon. Other monarchs used the tactic for good reason—in 1608, for example, James IV issued a prorogation in response to a typhus epidemic in London."

And it has been used much more recently to prevent embarrassment, as when John Major prorogued parliament in 1997 to delay the publication of the cash for questions report ahead of the election.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 03:53 AM   #250
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
The Mail is asking, "Who runs Britain?" They seem to have missed that the answer is, definitively, "Parliament." The Express is whingeing about Brexit, though we know from Boris that the prorogation was nothing to do with Brexit; they must have missed that bit. The Sun has decided, in its usual classy way, that personal abuse against Lady Hale is the responsible way to go.

All the rest of the papers seem to be giving Boris the kicking he deserves.

Dave
I should mention that there are Scottish editions of all the UK papers. The Mail and the Express have followed the English line on this but the Scottish Sun has taken a very anti-Boris line.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 04:03 AM   #251
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Frankie Boyle tweeted
@frankieboyle

Now understand that when Cummings implied he wanted to emulate Bismarck he meant the ship.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 04:20 AM   #252
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
And it has been used much more recently to prevent embarrassment, as when John Major prorogued parliament in 1997 to delay the publication of the cash for questions report ahead of the election.
That maybe should have been challenged at the time, but since it was just prior to a planned election, it was not considered serious enough to challenge. Major lost that election, with the cash for questions and other Tory sleaze scandals being one of the reasons for that loss.
Old 25th September 2019, 04:30 AM   #253
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

That maybe should have been challenged at the time, but since it was just prior to a planned election, it was not considered serious enough to challenge. Major lost that election, with the cash for questions and other Tory sleaze scandals being one of the reasons for that loss.
One of the entertaining aspects of the current crisis has been the very astute series of comments made by Major himself about the risks an unregulated power of prorogation poses to democracy. I frequently find myself thinking, "Well, of all people, he should know."

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 04:52 AM   #254
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post

I don't see what "should" has anything to do with it. "Should" is not a legal question.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 04:55 AM   #255
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1176820359057813504

Quote:
Significant: @NickBoles asks @Geoffrey_Cox if the government will abide by the Benn Act if there’s no new Brexit deal?

“Yes”

So we might not be leaving the EU on October 31 after all.

On the Benn Act: Cox says the government will “obey the law” *but*

“There is a question of precisely what the government needs to do to obey the law.”

Still looks like the government thinks there is a loophole to duck out of requesting a Brexit delay.
Old 25th September 2019, 04:58 AM   #256
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I don't see what "should" has anything to do with it. "Should" is not a legal question.
'tis
Old 25th September 2019, 05:21 AM   #257
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
'tis
"Can" and ""shall" are matters of law.

"Should" is a moral question.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 05:25 AM   #258
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Do you agree with psionl0?

If there are to be limits placed on the ability of the PM or the Crown to prorogue Parliament then that should have been done by the Parliament itself and not left to the SC to make up a new rule on the conditions under which Parliament can be prorogued.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 25th September 2019 at 05:27 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 05:29 AM   #259
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The daily mail is so stupid.

Earlier I was saying it was parliament's job to set the rules of prorogration if they didn't like it. And they did. They made up the supreme Court and gave it it's power. They created a vehicle to stick it to the prime Minister when they are away. Good for them.
Old 25th September 2019, 05:39 AM   #260
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Do you agree with psionl0?
It is a silly invention of parliament itself. Parliament is sovereign and can alter the legislative process if they wish. If their toy manages to make a law without them and they don't care, then I don't care.
Old 25th September 2019, 06:07 AM   #261
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I daren't read what the UK tabloids (Sun, Mail, Express) are making of this for fear of blowing a gasket.

Captain S, would you take the hit, the way you do with Trump's tweets? Just a summary would be grand
I'm wondering whether to report this as advocating self-harm.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 06:14 AM   #262
Wudang
BOFH

It is a silly invention of parliament itself. Parliament is sovereign and can alter the legislative process if they wish. If their toy manages to make a law without them and they don't care, then I don't care.
There is no new law.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edit for rule 6

Last edited by zooterkin; 25th September 2019 at 11:42 AM.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 06:22 AM   #263
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
There is no new law.
I'm glad I didn't claim there was one

Some people have a very weird reaction to if-then logic.
Old 25th September 2019, 06:31 AM   #264
Belgian thought
Master Poster

There is no new law. etc...
May I use this when I set up my new religion? It's a good chant.
Old 25th September 2019, 06:38 AM   #265
Wudang
BOFH

I'm glad I didn't claim there was one

Some people have a very weird reaction to if-then logic.
"If their toy manages to make a law without them"

I know you don't read most peoples posts but for ***** sake read your own, ok?
Old 25th September 2019, 07:13 AM   #266
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

"If their toy manages to make a law without them"

I know you don't read most peoples posts but for ***** sake read your own, ok?
IF

I made no claim if they did or not.
Old 25th September 2019, 07:20 AM   #267
Giz
Philosopher

How many potential suitors did Elizabeth I have in 1759?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 07:23 AM   #268
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Any number would be surprising given she had been dead for over a hundred and fifty years.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 07:23 AM   #269
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

so it is about Johnson's girlfriend...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 07:25 AM   #270
angrysoba
Philosophile

...and wait...

...who the Hell is James IV?

Is this paragraph just entirely made up?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 07:29 AM   #271
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Any number would be surprising given she had been dead for over a hundred and fifty years.
Indeed
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 07:30 AM   #272
Giz
Philosopher

...and wait...

Maybe they took the average (rounding up) of James VI and James I ?
Old 25th September 2019, 07:58 AM   #273
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

I thought this thread had gone quiet, and then I realised it's been split again. And the same people still don't get it.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 08:12 AM   #274
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Earlier I was saying it was parliament's job to set the rules of prorogration if they didn't like it. And they did. They made up the supreme Court and gave it it's power.

Technically, perhaps, but the Supreme Court is really just a continuation of the Appellate Committee of the House of Lords (judges appointed to the House of Lords to act as a supreme court). When the Supreme Court was set up, it effectively inherited its jurisdiction, powers, and indeed its judges, from the House of Lords.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 08:21 AM   #275
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Technically, perhaps, but the Supreme Court is really just a continuation of the Appellate Committee of the House of Lords (judges appointed to the House of Lords to act as a supreme court). When the Supreme Court was set up, it effectively inherited its jurisdiction, powers, and indeed its judges, from the House of Lords.
So who cares if it overrides Johnson? It is parliament's baby to do such things.
Old 25th September 2019, 08:56 AM   #276
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I presume it should be 1579.

(I checked, it should be 1579)
Old 25th September 2019, 09:00 AM   #277
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I presume it should be 1579.
A popular lass even in death then.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 09:00 AM   #278
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

...and wait...

Should be James VI, who became James I of E&W with the union of the crowns in 1603.
Old 25th September 2019, 09:17 AM   #279
catsmate
No longer the 1

However, it terrifies me when an unelected body like the SC takes on powers for itself that are greater than the Queen's and uses those powers to usurp the parliament's function of creating laws.
Demonstrating (again) that you do not understand the UK political system, the function, roles and powers of the UK Supreme Court and the concept of judicial review.

England and Wales is a common law jurisdiction. The courts are perfectly entitled to make law as long as they don’t actually contradict Parliament.

The idea of judicial review of administrative actions is well established. And that’s what this was: the court was reviewing the actions of the executive, not Parliament. See, for example, the comments in the section headed “What conclusions did the court reach” here:
Where is John Marshall when you need him?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 09:20 AM   #280
catsmate
No longer the 1

Parliament is hardly a matter or "common law".
Judicial review.

Not to mention that the SC has effectively overruled the Queen.
Not true.

Parliament should have passed a no confidence motion against BJ.
Why?

Allowing the SC to set new standards for the PM instead is an abrogation of their democratic duty.
Not true.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics