ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 9th October 2019, 12:58 PM   #1481
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's from The Onion, it must be true!
WASHINGTON—Opting to take more of a wait-and-see approach instead of rushing to pass judgment, Republican lawmakers reportedly looked on in silence Tuesday as President Trump worked his way through each of their families and, one by one, strangled all their loved ones to death.
Fake news.

We can tell its fake because Trump's hands are too tiny to actually get around someone's neck to strangle them.

Besides, he's so out of shape that he'd probably get tired half way through the first strangulation.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:02 PM   #1482
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Considering the amount of people speaking out against Trump, it is very far from a dictatorship. In fact, as seen from abroad, he seems almost powerless, confined to ramble on Twitter. Stop reading Twitter, and it is almost as if he doesn't exist.

Hans
The Syrian Kurds will be glad to hear that.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:09 PM   #1483
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Considering the amount of people speaking out against Trump, it is very far from a dictatorship. In fact, as seen from abroad, he seems almost powerless, confined to ramble on Twitter. Stop reading Twitter, and it is almost as if he doesn't exist.

Hans
I *hope* that his whole presidency will serve to advertise the best qualities of the U.S., the most important of which IMO is freedom of speech.

Russia and China can tell people, look how divisive democracy is! Why are these people so disloyal to their leader?

And they’re like, “Wait, they get to criticize their leader?”
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:14 PM   #1484
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Fake news.

We can tell its fake because Trump's hands are too tiny to actually get around someone's neck to strangle them.

Besides, he's so out of shape that he'd probably get tired half way through the first strangulation.
An obese Monty Burns.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:15 PM   #1485
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Yeah, we have seen the GOP go tsk tsk at Donnie before, but do nothing about it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:16 PM   #1486
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I’m not so sure the military would be on his side.

Having the unconditional love of the military is one of his various delusions. Along with the belief that there actually is an imminent coup.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:17 PM   #1487
Minoosh
Philosopher

It’s unspeakably sad that this is how far the Onion has to go to satirize Trump.

Yet here I am, speaking of it.

Satirizing Trump stopped being funny to me quite a while ago.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:17 PM   #1488
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Erdogan is going to make a state visit to the US next month.
I hope some patriotic citizens make sure he gets the kind of reception he deserves.
The kind of reception Trump got in streets of the UK a few months back.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 9th October 2019 at 01:18 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:23 PM   #1489
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

So pathetic to see Sleepy Joe Biden, who with his son, Hunter, and to the detriment of the American Taxpayer, has ripped off at least two countries for millions of dollars, calling for my impeachment - and I did nothing wrong. Joe’s Failing Campaign gave him no other choice!
Wait a minute. Is that really a Tweet from the president of the United States or a post by Logger? It's incredible to me that the president of the United States -- the proverbial 'most powerful man in the world' -- communicates in almost exactly the same way as one of the dumbest people to have ever poisoned the atmosphere of this forum. At times the whole thing seems surreal.

To repeat, Trump is giving stupid a bad name.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:40 PM   #1490
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

That latest tweet about Biden is surely libellous.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:44 PM   #1491
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Erdogan is going to make a state visit to the US next month.
I hope some patriotic citizens make sure he gets the kind of reception he deserves.
The kind of reception Trump got in streets of the UK a few months back.
ISIS and Erdogan richly deserve each other. Maybe ISIS can regroup and form a new caliphate: Turkey. Of course Erdogan will expect to be the caliph, which he’ll be promised right up to the time they slit his throat and hang his corpse upside down in Ankara or Istanbul.

I can’t figure out how Erdogan will handle the ISIS prisoners. Turkey could summarily execute them all, or just as easily, set them free in hopes that they kill as many Kurds as possible.

I hope to hell Trump is getting pressure to at least provide defensive air support to the Kurds, but I don’t think he can afford to cave and I have a hard time believing that his abandonment really is purely a function of his economic interests. I think there’s cowardice - he can’t stand the idea of even one U.S. military casualty - as well as some sort of blackmail going on. Of course all of this is pure speculation on my part and as such I’ll add this: He has probably asked Putin what he should do. And maybe Putin has answered: Get out of the way. Let someone with an actual strategy take over.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:45 PM   #1492
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Wait a minute. Is that really a Tweet from the president of the United States or a post by Logger? It's incredible to me that the president of the United States -- the proverbial 'most powerful man in the world' -- communicates in almost exactly the same way as one of the dumbest people to have ever poisoned the atmosphere of this forum. At times the whole thing seems surreal.

Maybe Logger was Trump!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:45 PM   #1493
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, it's not like genocide is anything new for the Turks. Just ask the Armenians.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:47 PM   #1494
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

"Asked about the Kurds, President Trump said that the Kurds did not help the US during WWII or in the Normandy invasion/ D-Day"

So **** them? Dunno. it's hard to tell what this loony means.

"Trump said (of ISIS fighters): “Well, they’re going to be escaping to Europe. That’s where they want to go; they want to go back to their homes, but Europe didn’t want them from us.”

That doesn't even make grammatical sense, let alone any other kind.

Peak Trump yet? I doubt it. Dear FSM.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:48 PM   #1495
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Did I miss something? Why is Trump suddenly attacking George W. Bush? Does it have anything to do with Ellen DeGeneres?
Bush and much of the GOP senior statesmen and the GOP legacy and the Neo Liberals. Will Fox now run stories on the WMD cover up and conspiracy? Trump just stood on the toes of a whole lot of influential people.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:50 PM   #1496
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Bush and much of the GOP senior statesmen and the GOP legacy and the Neo Liberals. Will Fox now run stories on the WMD cover up and conspiracy? Trump just stood on the toes of a whole lot of influential people.
But the party leaders don't matter anymore. All the matters for Trump is his base.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:55 PM   #1497
Garrison
Illuminator

Time after time Trump undermines US strategic interests in the name of spite or because some dictator kissed his ass or offered to spend money with one of his companies and yet the reaction from the Republicans is a brief flurry of outrage followed by, nothing.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:55 PM   #1498
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I wish I could believe that. I just can't.
And I am sick of people..GOPers in particular, criticizing Trump but then taking no action.
ANyway I stated armed resistence as a last case scenario, if it's clear that the GOP has turned the US into a banana republic with meaningless fixed elections.
It's worth pointing out that part of Putin's media management is to ensure there are a few critics sprinkled here and there in order to maintain the pretense of free speech.

To the point where his people often script the criticism themselves, and make sure the cameras are pointing the right way with proper lighting on the critic.
Old 9th October 2019, 01:57 PM   #1499
Garrison
Illuminator

But the party leaders don't matter anymore. All the matters for Trump is his base.
Well why should he pay any attention to the Republican leadership? He could email Putin a copy of the US nuclear launch codes and they would simply wail about it for a day or two and then get back to ass kissing as usual...
Old 9th October 2019, 01:57 PM   #1500
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
"Asked about the Kurds, President Trump said that the Kurds did not help the US during WWII or in the Normandy invasion/ D-Day"

So **** them? Dunno. it's hard to tell what this loony means.

"Trump said (of ISIS fighters): “Well, they’re going to be escaping to Europe. That’s where they want to go; they want to go back to their homes, but Europe didn’t want them from us.

That doesn't even make grammatical sense, let alone any other kind.

Peak Trump yet? I doubt it. Dear FSM.

The "from us" was his personality-disordered compulsion to take credit, as if it wasn't the Kurds who captured them and who are holding them.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:04 PM   #1501
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
The "from us" was his personality-disordered compulsion to take credit, as if it wasn't the Kurds who captured them and who are holding them.
It makes sense when you remember that he defeated IS. Therefore, the IS prisoners are, of course, his.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:05 PM   #1502
Minoosh
Philosopher

Yeah, that’s probably not going to work forever. I’m surprised it’s worked for him this long. *Finally* he may be pushing Senate Republicans too far. If I were them I’d want to get Pence in position ASAP.

Most of the time I really don’t wish Trump to suffer. But now physical incapacitation would come as a relief. Even his base might be relieved - they save face and Trump is spared further persecution without ever having admitted to any wrongdoing.

Last edited by Minoosh; 9th October 2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:32 PM   #1503
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The indisputable fact that the democratic process is being destroyed by the Executive branch, a majority of the senate , a large part of the House, and hundreds of Federal Judges.

It’s past time for these corpses to be swinging in gibbets in front of state houses to warn what happens when a party does such a thing.
Let's assume that Trump is not removed by the ballot box. What then is the justification for armed rebellion against a president elected as described in the Constitution. I'm not asking about him staying in power after losing the election or some maneuver to suspend or nullify the election.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:33 PM   #1504
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And if it comes to a choice of fight or submit to a dictatorship?
Is it a dictatorship if Trump is not removed by the ballot?
Old 9th October 2019, 02:41 PM   #1505
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Is it a dictatorship if Trump is not removed by the ballot?
It rather depends on the quality of the election. A lot of actual, not hyperbolic, dictators held elections and amazingly won by huge landslides. Including a few where the landslide results were accidentally announced before the voting occurred.

I'm not saying that's the case with the US, I'm just pointing out that holding an election isn't necessarily proof there's not a dictatorship.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:46 PM   #1506
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It rather depends on the quality of the election. A lot of actual, not hyperbolic, dictators held elections and amazingly won by huge landslides. Including a few where the landslide results were accidentally announced before the voting occurred.

I'm not saying that's the case with the US, I'm just pointing out that holding an election isn't necessarily proof there's not a dictatorship.
A lot of people just don't get that.
people forget that Hitler came to power through perfectly legal means.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:48 PM   #1507
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Let's assume that Trump is not removed by the ballot box. What then is the justification for armed rebellion against a president elected as described in the Constitution. I'm not asking about him staying in power after losing the election or some maneuver to suspend or nullify the election.
You have an individual who has gained power:

- Despite losing the popular vote. (Yes, I know that was the way the American political system was set up in the first place, with the electoral college, but many see the situation as unfairly giving more political power to individuals in some states, which violates the concept of "equality".)

- With the assistance of at least one foreign government (Russia in 2016 and probably 2020, and attempts to involve Ukraine and China.)

- With the assistance of voter suppression tactics (so thousands of people were unfairly disenfranchised)

Yes, you could claim "that's all legal according to the constitution and/or the ways the laws work", but that doesn't necessarily mean people need to accept it. I mean, if Trump actually found a way to get the constitution re-written to make him king for life, the proper response would not be to say "Oh, its in the constitution. I must shut up about it". The response would be to say "whatever tactics were used to re-write the constitution were morally wrong, and it should be challenged."

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:52 PM   #1508
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Logger was Trump? It all makes sense now.

ETA: Ninjad by Shemp.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 9th October 2019 at 02:53 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:00 PM   #1509
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Logger was Trump!
When Donnie writes that Biden's campaign is failing why does he capitalize both words? "Joe's Failing Campaign." If I was Hunter Biden I'd starting claiming I had sex with Melania.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:20 PM   #1510
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Monday is going to be interesting:
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...ump-over-kurds

Now let's see how many GOPer have finally gotten a spine.I am skeptical.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:34 PM   #1511
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

- Despite losing the popular vote. (Yes, I know that was the way the American political system was set up in the first place, with the electoral college, but many see the situation as unfairly giving more political power to individuals in some states, which violates the concept of "equality".)

- With the assistance of at least one foreign government (Russia in 2016 and probably 2020, and attempts to involve Ukraine and China.)

- With the assistance of voter suppression tactics (so thousands of people were unfairly disenfranchised)

Yes, you could claim "that's all legal according to the constitution and/or the ways the laws work", but that doesn't necessarily mean people need to accept it. I mean, if Trump actually found a way to get the constitution re-written to make him king for life, the proper response would not be to say "Oh, its in the constitution. I must shut up about it". The response would be to say "whatever tactics were used to re-write the constitution were morally wrong, and it should be challenged."
When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:34 PM   #1512
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Zero. IMO
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 03:38 PM   #1513
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.
The Declaration of Indepndence is Fake News!

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:48 PM   #1514
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people just don't get that.
people forget that Hitler came to power through perfectly legal means.
No he didn't. He entered a power sharing government through legal means. He did not rise to be dictator of Germany through a legal process.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:56 PM   #1515
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

No he didn't. He entered a power sharing government through legal means. He did not rise to be dictator of Germany through a legal process.
UH,no. Everything he did to become a dictator was perfectly legally under the constitution of the Weimar Republic, which was, obviously, a badly flawed document.
The enabling act was perfectly legal.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:59 PM   #1516
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Whoa, wait a minute. I never suggested you or anyone else shut up about it. I'm specifically talking about armed insurrection.
Old 9th October 2019, 03:59 PM   #1517
Minoosh
Philosopher

It doesn’t even take a spine IMO. Covering for him is going to be a liability before too long. That could be wishful thinking. But I think the odds are pretty good things will tip that way.
Old 9th October 2019, 04:02 PM   #1518
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

UH,no. Everything he did to become a dictator was perfectly legally under the constitution of the Weimar Republic, which was, obviously, a badly flawed document.
The enabling act was perfectly legal.
The violence that lead up to the vote certainly was not legal.
Old 9th October 2019, 04:05 PM   #1519
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Time after time Trump undermines US strategic interests in the name of spite or because some dictator kissed his ass or offered to spend money with one of his companies and yet the reaction from the Republicans is a brief flurry of outrage followed by, nothing.
Every single Kurd killed by the Turks will be directly attributable to Donald J Trump and his gutless enablers in the Republican Party.
Old 9th October 2019, 04:07 PM   #1520
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
And the parents of children who have died in custody.

Oh, and...

It reveals a lot about people's reliance on their belief they are part of an in-group with low probability of harm when they brush aside the misery Trump has caused.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 9th October 2019 at 04:09 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics