ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th October 2019, 10:23 AM   #81
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Well, I just don't see it. If one imagined corrupt cops to be some kind of coherent organisation which acted with an overall plan to protect itself then maybe you could see the cop equivalent of Dr Evil ordering this witness to be made an example.

It's called the International Union of Police Associations; and there have been numerous threads posted here about how police unions protect corrupt and violent officers.

There have also been many, many cases of police intimidating, harassing, threatening, assaulting, and even imprisoning witnesses on trumped-up charges, particularly witnesses to police misconduct. Killing witnesses -- either to prevent testimony or as revenge for testimony -- may not be as common as other witness intimidation tactics, but it's hardly unheard of.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:24 AM   #82
luchog

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Cops going on trial at all is very rare - and being found guilty rarer still, even when things are fairly obvious (see: Philando Castile, John Crawford III, Eric Garner. And as I've already said, reprisals against witnesses, and sometimes entire communities, are rather common (Ferguson, Baltimore, NYC, Baton Rouge have all seen entire police forces run roughshod over civilian rights recent years).

I can only think of one case in the last ten years where a police officer actually testified against her fellow officers in a case like that; and she was subsequently fired from the force.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:28 AM   #83
Thermal
Philosopher

Cops going on trial at all is very rare - and being found guilty rarer still, even when things are fairly obvious (see: Philando Castile, John Crawford III, Eric Garner. And as I've already said, reprisals against witnesses, and sometimes entire communities, are rather common (Ferguson, Baltimore, NYC, Baton Rouge have all seen entire police forces run roughshod over civilian rights recent years).

Which is one reason I said I'd prefer an independent investigation. Normally I'd suggest the federal government get involved, but given Dolt 45's hatred of black people, and fondness of police violence against them (us), that won't happen - so possibly state police would be best.
That's true enough. I'm still leaning heavily towards this earlier execution attempt though, in light of Brown's fear of them finding him. Kind of troubling that Brown seems to know exactly who the shooters are, and one was arrested at his shooting, but police can't find the others. Not so much as a traffic stop or bank account to find them? Actually a little scary.

eta: Joshua Brown was also slated by Merritt to testify against Dallas PD for improperly training Guyger in a civil suit. So his testifying against the badges was to continue

Last edited by Thermal; 8th October 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:37 AM   #84
kali1137
Muse

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
The whole shirt and tats thing is weird to me. Where I'm from everybody has serious ink. Lawyers, politicians, teachers are all inked. White, black, latino...all inked. I'm heavily inked, too and have showed up to court in a hoodie that doesn't come close to covering all my art. Just kind of a weird line of comments on this one trivial subject.
I am sadly not surprised at the attitude towards ink. I have three college degrees but also quite a collection of ink. Imagine my surprise to find out that I am quite daft simply because I appreciate ink. But now the appearance in court, wearing a t-shirt, I also find disrespectful.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 10:50 AM   #85
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
I am sadly not surprised at the attitude towards ink. I have three college degrees but also quite a collection of ink. Imagine my surprise to find out that I am quite daft simply because I appreciate ink. But now the appearance in court, wearing a t-shirt, I also find disrespectful.
Then apply that collegiate thinking: No one is saying that. I have said that I would tentatively assume that a person with neck tats falls loosely in line with the other people I have known with neck tats. That is, knuckleheads. This preliminary impression can be quickly revised with more information.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:06 AM   #86
chrispy
Muse

I'm with you. I have a 3 degrees as well and also love tats. One of good friends is a medical doctor with a full body suit! Eh, I don't own any suits and probably wouldn't spring for one simply for a trial. Yeah, I guess he could have worn something more low-key, but I'm rather just 'meh' on the whole subject.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 11:23 AM   #87
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Amber Guyger to serve sentence at Mountain View, a maximum security women's prison about 90 miles north of Austin, TX. The all female facility spans 94 acres, houses app 645 inmates, among them the state's female death row inmates, although the actual executions are not carried out there.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/us/am...son/index.html
Interesting there is a local cemetery here named Mountain View. I bet the residents of the two facilities get no enjoyment from their view of the mountains.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:51 AM   #88
TomB
Muse

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Bunny says she was fired resulting from the trial. Ok, I'll provisionally buy that. Employers don't like negative attention, warranted or not. It's not fair, certainly, but some degree of that comes with any high-profile involvement. Somebody, somewhere, is gonna hate you, and your boss doesn't want the grief.
I can see an employer firing an employee whose presence through no fault of their own might bring drama that interferes with the company's business or that might raise safety concerns for other employees. But what strikes me as wierd is this:
Quote:
According to her, people began contacting the pharmaceutical company where she worked claiming that she was a radical, anti-police and a Black extremist. As a result, she claims the company did not want the publicity and fired her as well as revoking the credentials of her profession.
https://atlantadailyworld.com/2019/0...n-fired-video/

I don't know what her job was, but it looks like it required some sort of state issued professional license like a nurse or pharmacy tech would have. It seems a little odd that the company would take steps to revoke her professional license if she was fired for publicity/distraction issues.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 12:07 PM   #89
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

It;s not there is a tat. It's WAHT IS IT A TAT OF?

My little Pony, fine. Gang/drug affiliation? Wouldn't that make his death more likely to be related to drug dealing? Somebody tried a hit on him, he has a record of dealing, he expects "those [people" to find him.

I suspect NOT Guyger related.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 12:18 PM   #90
TomB
Muse

The shirt: Around here the norm is to dress fairly well when going to court. Meaning nice pants or at least good jeans and a button down shirt or a Polo. Even if it's just traffic court. (Incidentally, this is what Illinois Legal Aid advises as well.) I never thought about it in terms of being called as a witness, but that's how I dressed when I was called for a jury.

The tattoos...Tattoos are much more acceptable and mainstream than they used to be. I don't have any, but my daughter has quite a few, as does her husband. The only neck tattoo is as small one on the back of her neck under her hair. Neck and face tattoos are still seen as a little extreme. I think more so on white people though. When I look at Brown's picture, the tattoo doesn't jump out at me. I had to look for it. On white people I think prison/gang etc. On black people, the few that I've noticed have been the names of kids or something, so it's a different association. They stand out more on white people, so I guess that's why I see it as a more extreme look.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 12:23 PM   #91
TomB
Muse

Arrest made. Supposedly a drug deal:
Quote:
Jacquerious Mitchell is in custody at a hospital and the other two suspects are being sought, Dallas Assistant Police Chief Avery Moore said at a news conference Tuesday. The two fugitives are believed to be armed and dangerous, he said.

Jacquerious Mitchell told police Green got into a physical altercation with Brown and that Green shot Brown twice in the lower body, Moore said.

Brown then allegedly shot Jacquerious Mitchell in his chest. Jacquerious Mitchell fell back into a car and said he heard two gunshots, Moore said. Green took Brown's backpack and the gun used to shoot Jacquerious Mitchell and the three suspects fled the scene, Moore said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...trial-n1063836
Old 8th October 2019, 12:27 PM   #92
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

But now the appearance in court, wearing a t-shirt, I also find disrespectful.
Jeez, I hope none of the people crying about t-shirts own an Apple product.

Steve Jobs used to run AGMs in skivvy & jeans - how disrespectful is that? Running a half-trillion-dollar company and not even having the decency to put on a suit.
Old 8th October 2019, 12:28 PM   #93
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Police say Brown killed in drug deal gone wrong

Quote:

(CNN) — Joshua Brown, a key witness in the murder trial of a former Dallas police officer convicted of the shooting their neighbor in his own apartment, was shot and killed during a drug deal gone wrong, Assistant Chief Avery Moore said.

Brown was killed after an argument with one of three men from Louisiana who had met him in Dallas for a drug purchase, Moore told reporters.

A conversation between Brown and Thaddeus Green, 22, escalated into a physical altercation in which Brown allegedly shot and wounded Jacquerious Mitchell, 20, according to Moore. Green then shot Brown twice, police said. Green took a backpack from Brown as well as the gun used to wound Mitchell.

After receiving tips, police obtained a search warrant and recovered 12 pounds of marijuana, 143 grams of THC cartridges, and $4,000 in cash from Brown's apartment.
"As you know, there's been speculation and rumors that have been shared by community leaders claiming that Mr. Brown's death was related to the Amber Guyger trial, and somehow the Dallas Police Department was responsible," Moore said.

"I assure you that is simply not true. And I encourage those leaders to be mindful of their actions moving forward because their words have jeopardized the integrity of the city of Dallas as well as the Dallas Police Department."

Police have obtained arrests warrants for the three men, including Michael Diaz Mitchell, 32, who was driving the car, Moore said. Only Mitchell is in custody. He's expected to be charged with capital murder.

Last edited by Checkmite; 8th October 2019 at 12:29 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 12:28 PM   #94
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Goodo - case closed outside of CT sites. Looks pretty legit.
Old 8th October 2019, 12:48 PM   #95
luchog

In the PNW IT industry, there seems to be a mandatory minimum for tattoos and piercings.
Old 8th October 2019, 01:06 PM   #96
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Then apply that collegiate thinking: No one is saying that. I have said that I would tentatively assume that a person with neck tats falls loosely in line with the other people I have known with neck tats. That is, knuckleheads. This preliminary impression can be quickly revised with more information.
Gibberish. Making assumptions based on irrelevant factors is garbage thinking no matter your entirely irrelevant personal experience or your claimed willingness to revise your opinion based on someone's resume. Anecdotes are not evidence.

Stop trying to justify nonsense. Accept your error and correct it in the future.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 01:08 PM   #97
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm old enough to remember when it seemed like there were two types of people who had tattoos: sailors and ex-convicts. That said, things have certainly changed and they are commonplace nowadays--even the full tattoo sleeve is not unusual.

I do wonder what those tattoos will look like 30 years from now, when the flesh has bulged and sagged a bit. I'm thinking it'll be like when you pressed the Silly Putty against a comic to get the image and then stretched the Silly Putty out so the comic was distorted.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 01:18 PM   #98
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I'm old enough to remember when it seemed like there were two types of people who had tattoos: sailors and ex-convicts. That said, things have certainly changed and they are commonplace nowadays--even the full tattoo sleeve is not unusual.

I do wonder what those tattoos will look like 30 years from now, when the flesh has bulged and sagged a bit. I'm thinking it'll be like when you pressed the Silly Putty against a comic to get the image and then stretched the Silly Putty out so the comic was distorted.
I wonder what it will be like 10 years from now when people will likely still be making the same comments about people with tattoos that should have stopped at least 10 years ago.

Seriously, tattoos have been common for a pretty long time now.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 01:22 PM   #99
Armitage72
Illuminator

One of those "we can't stop you from turning into your parents" insurance commercials had an exchange about tattoos.

"I see you have a tattoo."
"Yes. I got it ..."
"So you don't work?"

The popular portrayal in mainstream media now seems to be that it's mainly out of touch old people who criticize tattoos.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:51 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, a number of people in a case involving police make knee jerk judgements based on ideology,before all the facts are in.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:52 PM   #101
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Drug deal gone bad? Dealers don't want buyers to know where they live-"meet me in parking lot at..."?

Jean had pot, Brown was a friend of Jean's....
Do I wins the interweb?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 03:56 PM   #102
Ranb
Philosopher

I'm old enough to remember when it seemed like there were two types of people who had tattoos: sailors and ex-convicts.
This retired Sailor's police officer daughter wants me to get a matching tattoo; she already has the start of a sleeve inked on her arm.

I've been trying to decide on my first tattoo since 1984.

Quote:
That said, things have certainly changed and they are commonplace nowadays--even the full tattoo sleeve is not unusual.
That is an understatement.

Ranb
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 04:13 PM   #103
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Once again, a number of people in a case involving police make knee jerk judgements based on ideology, based on decades of history of police corruption, abuses of their powers, blatant racism.
FTFY
Old 8th October 2019, 04:40 PM   #104
mgidm86
Philosopher

And myself, being over 50 still hold these old "attitudes" about tats. I don't like them and I think it's just the way I was raised.

When I first meet someone my perception of that person can change a lot before and after seeing they have tats. Any tats at all.

Now my sister has a sleeve, one of my best friends has neck stuff, my sister's boyfriend has a ton of em, and I love all of these people.

But to my old-school self they do affect my first impression. "Aw she seems so sweet....oh tramp stamp, hmmm..." I can get over that first impression rather quickly, but it is there. It will probably no longer exist once people my age are gone. Of course by then tats may go out of style.

I'd say tats are so trendy now that it's cooler not to have them. Like me I'm like James Dean - rebel without a tat. People are such sheep - as if everyone suddenly wants tats because "I want them for meeeee not cuz everyone else has them!"

I feel I can tell intelligence sometimes by the placement of a tat on someone. Tat of a dollar sign on your face? Not very intelligent.

Last edited by mgidm86; 8th October 2019 at 04:43 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 05:14 PM   #105
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Goodo - case closed outside of CT sites. Looks pretty legit.
Don't give up yet! We still have CT2.0: the coppers set him up; coming soon to a thread near you.

So he had 12 pounds of pot, a thousand or so doses of tic and $4K+ in cash in his apartment. Anyone running with 'his personal usage, don't judge him' yet?

No word about this being related not only to Guyger, but to the other people that wanted to kill him too. Seems this was unrelated foolishness.

Whoda thunk it?
Old 8th October 2019, 05:32 PM   #106
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Gibberish.
Actually quite clear. You have a neck tat perchance?

Quote:
Making assumptions based on irrelevant factors is garbage thinking no matter your entirely irrelevant personal experience or your claimed willingness to revise your opinion based on someone's resume.
Wrong again. I always make provisional assumptions based on how people choose to present themselves. Would you make any provisional assumptions about a guy wearing a MAGA hat or a Gay Pride T-shirt?

Quote:
Anecdotes are not evidence.
Didn't say they were. Getting more confident about your neck tat.

Quote:
Stop trying to justify nonsense. Accept your error and correct it in the future.
I might if the error was at least pointed out. Here, I provisionally assumed by his appearance that he was a dumbass and his murder was due to foolishness unrelated to the Guyger trial. Turns out he was a dumbass and his murder was due to foolishness unrelated to the Guyger trial.

Conducting a drug deal in your own parking lot? That's dumbass. Couldn't conduct a mutually beneficial transaction without a gunfight? Dumbass. No buddies for backup when meeting with multiple (and evidently hostile) buyers/sellers? Really dumbass.

Actually, I wonder if the cops didn't have his entrepreneurial number already? Might've been the little nudge given to get him on a plane back to Dallas.

eta: also, I can't shake wondering why his killers rented a car and drove over four hours to Dallas to buy pot. I mean, weed can't be scored in Louisiana? Was Brown the Wal-Mart of bargain basement pricing to warrant that hike?

Last edited by Thermal; 8th October 2019 at 07:02 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 05:42 PM   #107
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Jeez, I hope none of the people crying about t-shirts own an Apple product.

Steve Jobs used to run AGMs in skivvy & jeans - how disrespectful is that? Running a half-trillion-dollar company and not even having the decency to put on a suit.
You know, you're right. Imma wear a hot pink Sesame Street t-shirt to the next funeral I go to. Since it really doesn't matter, maybe a Speedo, hot pink to match of course. **** dignity and decorum, amirite?
Old 8th October 2019, 06:11 PM   #108
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Wrong again. I always make provisional assumptions based on how people choose to present themselves. Would you make any provisional assumptions about a guy wearing a MAGA hat or a Gay Pride T-shirt?
You continue to be confused. I might indeed make assumptions based on a specific tattoo. Your swastika tattoo, for example, might tell me that you put a lot of stock into the specific attributes of people's skin. Your ignorant assumptions based on the presence/absence of tattoos lend credence to that.

Quote:
I might if the error was at least pointed out. Here, I provisionally assumed by his appearance that he was a dumbass and his murder was due to foolishness unrelated to the Guyger trial. Turns out he was a dumbass and his murder was due to foolishness unrelated to the Guyger trial.
Do you know what "ex post facto" means? In this case, it means that the fact that your wild-ass guess turned out to be right doesn't make your initial ignorant assumptions valid. A neck tattoo continues to be evidence of nothing but the fact that someone wanted a tattoo on their neck.
Old 8th October 2019, 06:20 PM   #109
Venom
Illuminator

Should be the end of that right..

right?
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 06:25 PM   #110
Thermal
Philosopher

Some background on Joshua Brown's previous drug and weapons arrests:

Cops found him and another guy passed out in a Lexus, reeking of pot, in a known drug/hooker/assorted crime hangout. Coke, pot, and pills found in car.

Brown cops a plea, but doesn't pay fines or show up. Warrant issued.

Brown eventually found parked in a fire lane, more pot aroma, with a baggie of coke on his wallet (that he told the cop he found) and an unlicensed .357 mag.

After serving time, again charged with possession of pot and resisting arrest.

Damn, I was way off on this cat. Not a dumbass at all.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...drug-deal.html
Old 8th October 2019, 06:42 PM   #111
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
You continue to be confused. I might indeed make assumptions based on a specific tattoo. Your swastika tattoo, for example, might tell me that you put a lot of stock into the specific attributes of people's skin. Your ignorant assumptions based on the presence/absence of tattoos lend credence to that.
As I said, I make provisional assumptions based on the kind of people I am familiar with who chose to get neck tats. That particular correlation has proven to be reliable. But you continue to struggle to understand. The childish t-shirt in court was my primary tip. Neck ink was a distant second. Some posters, including you evidently, are fixated on the tats to the point of exclusion of the primary issue.

Quote:
Do you know what "ex post facto" means? In this case, it means that the fact that your wild-ass guess turned out to be right doesn't make your initial ignorant assumptions valid.
My guess was reasoned. My provisional assumption was that a guy foolish enough to show up at a murder trial dressed like a child is likely to show dip**** judgement in other areas, rather than simply proper courtroom attire. And cops whacking a dirty rat, who actually reinforced the cop's testimony, is not really a thing, except in B-movies.

You seem unnecessarily miserable, need to talk? I'm just a PM away.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:13 PM   #112
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Don't give up yet! We still have CT2.0: the coppers set him up; coming soon to a thread near you.

So he had 12 pounds of pot, a thousand or so doses of tic and $4K+ in cash in his apartment. Anyone running with 'his personal usage, don't judge him' yet?

No word about this being related not only to Guyger, but to the other people that wanted to kill him too. Seems this was unrelated foolishness.

Whoda thunk it?
Well, hell. Now that there is no longer hope of directly blaming racist white cops, we will have to circle back around to the old tried-and-true legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, poverty, inadequate school funding, lack of afterschool basketball programs, school-to-prison pipeline, systemic institutionalized systematic racism etc. Or something. Maybe Trump?
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2019, 11:45 PM   #113
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

You know, you're right. Imma wear a hot pink Sesame Street t-shirt to the next funeral I go to. Since it really doesn't matter, maybe a Speedo, hot pink to match of course. **** dignity and decorum, amirite?
Sure, you can sit next to me - I'll be the bloke with tats and a t-shirt.

The last funeral I went to, one girl came dressed as a fairy, so you wouldn't be too far out of place by our standards.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:40 AM   #114
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You just compared being a witness in a court case to going to a funeral?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:09 AM   #115
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TomB View Post

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...trial-n1063836
And as I expected, quite a few prominent people are casting doubt on the Dallas police over this, citing the relatively long distance from the accused murderers' home (in Louisiana), to Dallas.

Can't say I'm all that shocked. Here's hoping they have a good strong case against these guys, at the very least - they'll never convince everyone, but police really need to understand that their departments have given many strong reason to distrust them, even in relatively good cases like today's Dallas PD.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:24 AM   #116
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
You just compared being a witness in a court case to going to a funeral?
To a murder trial.

Sure, in both cases the main player could be going down for a long time.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:29 AM   #117
Checkmite

And as I expected, quite a few prominent people are casting doubt on the Dallas police over this, citing the relatively long distance from the accused murderers' home (in Louisiana), to Dallas.
I've seen some remark that it seems convenient that the one of the three who is still missing is alleged to have taken all the drugs, all the money, and all the weapons involved (including Brown's), in short, all of the physical evidence of the crime, and disappeared with it. I suppose we will have to wait and see whether this evidence cache will turn up when he is finally apprehended.

It seems odd to me that if Brown had apparently taken the important leap from occasional drug-user to full-on drug dealer, that he would volunteer to play an active role as a witness in a police investigation, even to the point of participating in a very public trial, knowing the whole time he's got several pounds of contraband and a stack of incriminating cash in his apartment, steps away from the murder scene.

But then, on very rare occasions, it has happened that a murderer has presented himself to the police as a concerned bystander/citizen who wants to help the police solve the dastardly crime by giving any information he can, in the hopes that this facade will keep the police's suspicion away from him and pointed in other directions.

Can't say I'm all that shocked. Here's hoping they have a good strong case against these guys, at the very least - they'll never convince everyone, but police really need to understand that their departments have given many strong reason to distrust them, even in relatively good cases like today's Dallas PD.
Very true.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:34 AM   #118
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
To a murder trial.

Sure, in both cases the main player could be going down for a long time.
Disagree

TBF I do come from one of the most heavily tattooed and laid back, non prudish countries in the world, so may be just a cultural thing.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:36 AM   #119
Checkmite

I can't believe "what Brown wore in court" is apparently an actual catalyst for anger in some people.

There is one person who has the right to object to what any person in court is wearing, and that is the judge. And, some judges do just that, ordering that people cannot appear or remain in the courtroom until they are dressed in a way the judge deems fitting.

This judge did not. If she was okay with what Brown was wearing, it's frankly nobody else's business, beyond being a convenient excuse to criticize him if someone just wants to criticize him for something.
Old 9th October 2019, 05:32 AM   #120
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ah yes the "What? Oh nooooo I'm not judging you, no siree I would never do that. I'm just judging the fact that you don't realize other people are going to judge you... in a way that is functionally identical to me being the one judging you" argument.

Always liked that one.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events