ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 10:38 AM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Does Greta thunberg deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...el-peace-prize

Thunberg has also become the favourite with British betting companies to receive this year’s Nobel. She is considered the most likely winner of the peace prize, to be awarded on Friday, ahead of the Ethiopian prime minister, Abiy Ahmed, indigenous Brazilian leader Raoni Metuktire and Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister of New Zealand.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The prize should be renamed after her, maybe they could call it The Thunberger. That's what I'm going to name my next plane.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 10:54 AM   #3
angrysoba
Philosophile

It makes sense for them all o give it to her as she won’t need to travel far to pick it up. If they give it to that Brazilian o or Ethiopian they will have to fly all the way over there. Alternatively she can be the official proxy for all Nobel prize winners and pick up every award just to trigger the snowflakes.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 11:04 AM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Is there anything the British won't bet upon? I heard there was a problem when Mary Berry leaked the name of the GBBO winner one series, as it threw off the betting.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:31 AM   #5
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is there anything the British won't bet upon? I heard there was a problem when Mary Berry leaked the name of the GBBO winner one series, as it threw off the betting.
It annoyed me! I had bet heavily that Mary Berry wouldn’t reveal the winner that year.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 11:37 AM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It annoyed me! I had bet heavily that Mary Berry wouldn’t reveal the winner that year.
Misplaced faith is a soggy bottom.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:57 AM   #7
catsmate
No longer the 1

At the risk of actually discussing the (supposed) topic of the thread; no, not really.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Misplaced faith is a soggy bottom.
Angrysoba should have blind baked his faith, indeed.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:16 PM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The Nobel peace prize has become a joke tbf

Might as well give it to her.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:23 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, she's not George W. Bush, so that's a point in her favor. She's also not Donald Trump, which I have to assume is at least another point in favor. On the other hand, she's not actually going to be replacing any US presidents, so those points may not count towards Nobel prizeworthiness. Maybe if she went through the motions of seeking peaceful resolution, and held off on starting a climate change intifada until after the prize is awarded?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:38 PM   #11
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The big question is would getting it give her back her "DREAMS!" and her "CHILDHOOD!"?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 12:42 PM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
The big question is would getting it give her back her "DREAMS!" and her "CHILDHOOD!"?
It rarely helps anyone's cause by being nasty to or about children.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:46 PM   #13
plague311
Great minds think...

Seems to help the right with each other all of the time.

I get a kick how the nobel peace prize varies on its legitimacy based on who is up to get it.

This kid is railing for changes to help the world, and people still find it in them to **** talk her. Like she's doing something wrong, or it's not admirable to want change.

When Malala got hers I remember thinking about her bravery to keep moving forward. Here we have Greta who has taken up a cause, and is putting her heart and soul into it. In response people are calling her a mouthpiece, a prop, and a tool for the left. Like climate change is some ****** up conspiracy theory. It's tough to watch people embarrass themselves like this, and I'm not talking about Greta.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 9th October 2019 at 01:17 PM.
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:05 PM   #14
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...el-peace-prize

Thunberg has also become the favourite with British betting companies to receive this year’s Nobel. She is considered the most likely winner of the peace prize, to be awarded on Friday, ahead of the Ethiopian prime minister, Abiy Ahmed, indigenous Brazilian leader Raoni Metuktire and Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister of New Zealand.
Here is a link to an article that profiles the people mentioned above. https://time.com/5691777/nobel-peace...dictions-2019/
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:48 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I dunno, Greta's childhood seems pretty intact. Especially if we subscribe to the theory that she's actually an adult now. She might be part of the last generation to have an intact, un-destroyed childhood.

My granddad was minor nouvou riche, joined the local yacht club. All I ever got out of it, childhood-wise, was two weeks of sailing camp. Little plastic sailboats. Fun, but nothing like actually being able to make a transatlantic sailing voyage in the company of a prince of Monaco on his luxury yacht. That's a childhood most of us can only dream of.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 01:55 PM   #16
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I dunno, Greta's childhood seems pretty intact. Especially if we subscribe to the theory that she's actually an adult now. She might be part of the last generation to have an intact, un-destroyed childhood.

My granddad was minor nouvou riche, joined the local yacht club. All I ever got out of it, childhood-wise, was two weeks of sailing camp. Little plastic sailboats. Fun, but nothing like actually being able to make a transatlantic sailing voyage in the company of a prince of Monaco on his luxury yacht. That's a childhood most of us can only dream of.
Certainly sounds better than a few nights with Prince Andrew.

Old 9th October 2019, 02:00 PM   #17
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

One opinion here in Norway is that since next year the Nobel Foundation celebrates 120 years, they will give it someone that has done something that directly relates to peace.

With that said, I give them 50/50 odds of giving it to Greta Thunberg.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:12 PM   #18
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Only if they rename it "The Nobel Stirs Up a Lot of Controversy " prize..

I fail to see any peace she has advanced...
Old 9th October 2019, 02:22 PM   #19
Ryokan

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Only if they rename it "The Nobel Stirs Up a Lot of Controversy " prize..

I fail to see any peace she has advanced...
Alfred Nobel's will said that the Peace Prize should go to...

Quote:
...the person who has done the most or best to advance fellowship among nations, the abolition or reduction of standing armies, and the establishment and promotion of peace congresses.
If you can't interpret this in a way that would give Thunberg the prize, consider that even today climate change is a cause for many conflicts. Soon, climate refugees could increase drastically.

And there's even precedent for giving it to people who champion the climate.

Personally, I'd rather give it to a Chinese dissident again, just to piss off China.

But Thunberg isn't the worst candidate.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:41 PM   #20
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I don't see where she has done any of those things.. She causes discord wherever she goes..
Old 9th October 2019, 02:43 PM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't see where she has done any of those things.. She causes discord wherever she goes..
Well, so did Martin Luther King, Gandhi, and Jesus Christ. Advancing peace doesn't mean not making waves.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:46 PM   #22
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

No argument with any of those.. I still need to see where Greta is doing anything significant, or anything at all, to advance peace in the world..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 9th October 2019 at 02:48 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 02:49 PM   #23
Ryokan

Strange. Where you see discord, I see growing unity.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:49 PM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

No argument with any of those.. I still need to see where Greta is doing anything significant to advance peace in the world..
Tell the committee of Norwegians who run the prizes, then. I don't think "Titanic" deserved any awards but as I'm not a member of the organization that hands them out nobody cared. The Nobels aren't officially bestowed from Almighty God. You're allowed to disregard them as nonsense if you wish.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:51 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, Greta Thunberg wants us to take her concerns seriously, and not just dismiss them as the products of a childish mind. You can't have it both ways. If a serious look at her concerns leads to the conclusion that some of them are ridiculous, then you can't save them from ridicule by appealing to her child nature. If she's just a child, and thus immune from the kind of criticism that adults commonly receive, then why are we taking her seriously in the first place?
Old 9th October 2019, 02:57 PM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

On the other hand, Greta Thunberg wants us to take her concerns seriously, and not just dismiss them as the products of a childish mind. You can't have it both ways. If a serious look at her concerns leads to the conclusion that some of them are ridiculous, then you can't save them from ridicule by appealing to her child nature. If she's just a child, and thus immune from the kind of criticism that adults commonly receive, then why are we taking her seriously in the first place?
Who's "we", you got octopume in your pocket? I don't pay a bit of attention to her, I only know about her from this message board. I already know the environment is troubled and I already know that little will be done to address it. I'll be dead before the worst of it so I'm not overly fussed. I am not compelled to endorse her or even pay attention to her even if I did agree with her on everything. Nor am I required to be rude to or about children regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them.

You seem to have a peculiar notion that everyone must take a side in every conflict.
Old 9th October 2019, 05:03 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Who's "we", you got octopume in your pocket? I don't pay a bit of attention to her, I only know about her from this message board. I already know the environment is troubled and I already know that little will be done to address it. I'll be dead before the worst of it so I'm not overly fussed. I am not compelled to endorse her or even pay attention to her even if I did agree with her on everything. Nor am I required to be rude to or about children regardless of whether I agree or disagree with them.

You seem to have a peculiar notion that everyone must take a side in every conflict.
You regularly talk trash to me that you apparently wouldn't tolerate if it were directed at Greta Thunberg. Why? Because she's the Gretamessiah? Or because she's a child?
Old 9th October 2019, 05:06 PM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You regularly talk trash to me that you apparently wouldn't tolerate if it were directed at Greta Thunberg. Why? Because she's the Gretamessiah? Or because she's a child?
1. I don't think I "talk trash" to you, 2. As I've just said I'm neither very familiar nor interested in what this girl says or does, and 3. yes, I tend to be polite to children. They're not my equals therefore it would be misguided to attack them whatever their notions.
Old 9th October 2019, 05:16 PM   #29
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

No! What has she done to be associated with the likes of Rigoberta Menchu, Le Duc Tho, Henry Kissinger, or Yasser Arafat? She's a sweet little girl who's trying to do right by society.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:18 PM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

1. I don't think I "talk trash" to you
Of course, of course. And when I talk about Thunberg, I'm speaking truth to power. So we're good, right?
Old 9th October 2019, 05:21 PM   #31
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Well maybe she should try to not make such irritating, over-acted speeches

Old 9th October 2019, 05:29 PM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One takeaway from all this is that there's bipartisan agreement that arthwollipot's theory of Greta's adulthood is a crock of ****.
Old 9th October 2019, 05:46 PM   #33
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

One takeaway from all this is that there's bipartisan agreement that arthwollipot's theory of Greta's adulthood is a crock of ****.
Please quote any time I have said that Greta is an adult.

I'll wait.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 06:06 PM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That'll teach kids to sass you! Everyone respects adults that exchange insults with children, on their level.
Old 9th October 2019, 06:08 PM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Of course, of course. And when I talk about Thunberg, I'm speaking truth to power. So we're good, right?
You consider this random girl to have power? She's not a Kardashian, is she?
Old 9th October 2019, 06:08 PM   #36
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Interesting that you think she's acting.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 06:29 PM   #37
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That'll teach kids to sass you! Everyone respects adults that exchange insults with children, on their level.
I doubt she reads the forum.

But if she does.

Greta,

You seem a good kid, but you need to go back to school.

If you decide not to, that is great, but please take acting lessons, as yours is atrocious.

Old 9th October 2019, 06:30 PM   #38
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Interesting that you think she's acting.
That speech was.

I believe she in sincere about the rest of the stuff.

Old 9th October 2019, 06:44 PM   #39
Venom
Illuminator

If you are able to speak at this level and with this enthusiasm as to travel abroad to speak your mind, you're good as any young adult to me.

As for Nobel Prize.....I hate that thing lol. So subjective.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 07:43 PM   #40
mgidm86
Philosopher

I have not followed the Greta story one bit. No opinion. I also don't consider teenagers of 15 - 16 years of age "children".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events