IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 28th December 2018, 03:29 AM   #761
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
That second highlighted sentence could literally be paraphrased as 'because the gun is held in high esteem in the US'
Old 28th December 2018, 03:29 AM   #762
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

No
What is it you do not understand? Can you give some detail to your answer?
Old 28th December 2018, 03:31 AM   #763
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Can you please go through what I said, in detail and evidence where I am wrong.
You said this:
Interpretations have not altered the basic tenet that it means citizens have the right to firearms and there has been very little compromise on that tenet
Proof you are wrong:
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 03:39 AM   #764
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

You said this:

Proof you are wrong:
https://i.imgur.com/MDIeXpf.png
One cherry picked, uncredited copy and paste opinion is not proof I am wrong, especially since I produced evidence from court decisions to show that through out history, there has been, with conditions, a individual right to bear arms.

That you counter me with evidence people had to surrender their guns and could not openly carry them in certain parts of the USA over the years, just shows that basic right came with some conditions.
Old 28th December 2018, 03:44 AM   #765
Baylor
Philosopher

One cherry picked, uncredited copy and paste opinion is not proof I am wrong, especially since I produced evidence from court decisions to show that through out history, there has been, with conditions, a individual right to bear arms.
Originally Posted by Nessie
In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008)

Wrenn v. District of Columbia, No. 16-7025 – On July 25, 2017

On February 13, 2014, in Peruta v. San Diego,
That's some ancient history there, big guy.

First you said this:

US attitudes to guns sets the scene in which it is accepted, no matter what the cost, as many people as possible must have the right to bear as many arms as is possible.
Now you're saying this:
You have not shown me any evidence, other than that one copy and paste uncredited opinion, that I am wrong to say citizens have the right to firearms. At most you have pointed out that it is a conditional right [sic], which is not disputed.
And this:
That you counter me with evidence people had to surrender their guns and could not openly carry them in certain parts of the USA over the years, just shows that basic right[sic] came with some conditions.
Which is it?

Last edited by Baylor; 28th December 2018 at 03:51 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 03:56 AM   #766
Baylor
Philosopher

One cherry picked, uncredited copy and paste opinion is not proof I am wrong,
How about another?

This is wrong:
Interpretations have not altered the basic tenet that it means citizens have the right to firearms and there has been very little compromise on that tenet
Proof it is wrong:

Last edited by Baylor; 28th December 2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 28th December 2018, 04:07 AM   #767
3point14
Pi

Can I just check that the question being debated here is "Is the gun held in higher esteem in the USA than in the rest of the western world?"

Can I further check that this is even being disputed? Have I got that right?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 01:19 PM   #768
Axxman300
Illuminator

It is my opinion that in the USA the gun is generally, legally and culturally held in high esteem, compared to the UK.
Technically, the gun in America has powerful legal status. We have Great Britain to thank for that.

The Constitution was ratified in 1788 with our revolution fresh in everyone's mind. Rifles and pistols were allowed to be kept by the general public not only because they could put food on the table, and fight off Indians, but because a standing army was expensive, and there was a good change Great Britain might try to assert influence on the continent again.

The War of 1812 cemented the 2nd Amendment into place.

The skirmishes in Texas with Mexico proved the value of the citizenry owning guns.

Guns became part of the fabric of American culture before the Civil War, and the technological advances made with rifles, and pistols between 1960 and 1965 made for more reliable, and more productive/lethal firearms. The muzzle-loaders were out, repeating rifles with brass bullet cartridges were in. Check in any newspaper between 1870 and 1910 from states west of the Mississippi and you'll find guns were out there in the west doing good and bad things:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

You will also find that well into the 1980's that guns were sold in hardware stores. They were meant to be a tool just like hammers and saws, and were regarded as such until the Great Depression and the rise of organized crime when guns became a means to an end for the criminal element. From the 1920's to present day America you can track the growing misuse of firearms simply by watching Hollywood movies which glorify shooting the bad guys all the way from the original Scarface in 1932, through the TV series The Untouchables, up to 1995's Heat, and whatever the latest crime thriller coming to a theater near you.

I think the issue is your use of the word Esteem is the problem. This implies that gun owners are looked up to in some way because they are gun owners, and that's not always the case. There is a gun culture here. I buy gun magazines yet I don't own a gun. There are also surfing cultures, backpacking cultures, off-road 4-wheel drive cultures, and knitting cultures too, and since there are 327.7 million of us the fact is that guns are less popular than video games.

Guns are constitutionally protected. Guns have political influence disproportional to other, even larger, industries.

And that's the issue or the problem depending on view point.
Old 28th December 2018, 01:47 PM   #769
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Can I just check that the question being debated here is "Is the gun held in higher esteem in the USA than in the rest of the western world?"
I stated that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA. Initially I did not make a comparison with any other country, but in showing that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA, I have subsequently made a few comparisons.

Quote:
Can I further check that this is even being disputed? Have I got that right?
Baylor is disputing that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA.
Old 28th December 2018, 01:57 PM   #770
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

That's some ancient history there, big guy.
Here is the earliest scholarly commentary on the 2nd;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...rly_commentary

It is clear that the opinion was that people as individuals and not just militia had the right to bear arms. If you have evidence that there was no individual right to bear arms, please can you show it.

Quote:

First you said this:

Now you're saying this:

And this:
Which is it?
All of them, they do not contradict each other. You have yet to show any evidence that there has never been an individual right to bear arms in the USA.
Old 28th December 2018, 01:59 PM   #771
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

How about another?

This is wrong:

Proof it is wrong:

https://i.imgur.com/06KI4iG.png?1
Again, you present an uncredited source and opinion as evidence. Can you point to any US law which clearly states that individuals do not have the right to own/possess/carry guns?
Old 28th December 2018, 02:40 PM   #772
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Technically, the gun in America has powerful legal status. We have Great Britain to thank for that.

The Constitution was ratified in 1788 with our revolution fresh in everyone's mind. Rifles and pistols were allowed to be kept by the general public not only because they could put food on the table, and fight off Indians, but because a standing army was expensive, and there was a good change Great Britain might try to assert influence on the continent again.

The War of 1812 cemented the 2nd Amendment into place.

The skirmishes in Texas with Mexico proved the value of the citizenry owning guns.

Guns became part of the fabric of American culture before the Civil War, and the technological advances made with rifles, and pistols between 1960 and 1965 made for more reliable, and more productive/lethal firearms. The muzzle-loaders were out, repeating rifles with brass bullet cartridges were in. Check in any newspaper between 1870 and 1910 from states west of the Mississippi and you'll find guns were out there in the west doing good and bad things:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

You will also find that well into the 1980's that guns were sold in hardware stores. They were meant to be a tool just like hammers and saws, and were regarded as such until the Great Depression and the rise of organized crime when guns became a means to an end for the criminal element. From the 1920's to present day America you can track the growing misuse of firearms simply by watching Hollywood movies which glorify shooting the bad guys all the way from the original Scarface in 1932, through the TV series The Untouchables, up to 1995's Heat, and whatever the latest crime thriller coming to a theater near you.

I think the issue is your use of the word Esteem is the problem. This implies that gun owners are looked up to in some way because they are gun owners, and that's not always the case. There is a gun culture here. I buy gun magazines yet I don't own a gun. There are also surfing cultures, backpacking cultures, off-road 4-wheel drive cultures, and knitting cultures too, and since there are 327.7 million of us the fact is that guns are less popular than video games.

Guns are constitutionally protected. Guns have political influence disproportional to other, even larger, industries.

And that's the issue or the problem depending on view point.
The 1st underlined: I presume you meant 1880's? But then I've been in stores that have sold both hardware and guns in the 1980's, and much more recently in fact.

The 2nd underlined: Nessie said guns are held in high esteem in the USA, not gun owners.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 28th December 2018 at 02:41 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 02:45 PM   #773
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Again, you present an uncredited source and opinion as evidence. Can you point to any US law which clearly states that individuals do not have the right to own/possess/carry guns?
If you mean a law at any level, then there are plenty, and have been plenty in the past (many many more in the past actually, one of my great-uncles did about 10 years hard labor in Texas, yeah Texas, around WW1, for concealed carry).

If you meant just federal law, then you should have left out carry, because we are restricted from carrying in a number of locations federally.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 28th December 2018 at 02:49 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2018, 03:43 PM   #774
Baylor
Philosopher

That's not uncredited (NYMag) nor it is an opinion.

Here's another article this time from the Washington Post proving you wrong

Nessie's wrong claims:
Interpretations have not altered the basic tenet that it means citizens have the right to firearms and there has been very little compromise on that tenet.
By mythical I mean [the second amendment] cannot be touched, altered or tampered with in any way. It has remained exactly as it is now, since it first appeared in 1791.
Proof Nessie is wrong:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.94445b5a4971

Last edited by Baylor; 28th December 2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 28th December 2018, 03:52 PM   #775
Baylor
Philosopher

I stated that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA. Initially I did not make a comparison with any other country, but in showing that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA, I have subsequently made a few comparisons.

Baylor is disputing that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA.
"The gun is held in high esteem[by whom?]" is not a truth-apt statement. This is the sixth time I've told you this.
"The gun is held in high esteem[by whom?]" is not a truth-apt statement. This is now the seventh time I've had to tell you this.
Old 28th December 2018, 04:19 PM   #776
Baylor
Philosopher

The 2nd is worded exactly now as it was when it first appeared. Interpretations have not altered the basic tenet that it means citizens have the right to firearms and there has been very little compromise on that tenet
"In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Supreme Court handed down a landmark decision that held the amendment protects an individual's right to keep a gun at home for self-defense.[17][18] This was the first time the Court had ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to own a gun"
ISF skeptics now come self-debunking.
Old 28th December 2018, 05:29 PM   #777
fagin
Philosopher

Nessie's wrong claims:

Proof Nessie is wrong:

Bit of selection there, now that you've finally quoted a source. You should have read the rest, including:

"Today’s Second Amendment

Anyone wishing for a return to an original meaning of the Second Amendment — where no one was a professional soldier, but everyone would be required to participate in the militia — would find themselves far from the political mainstream."
Old 28th December 2018, 05:44 PM   #778
Baylor
Philosopher

Even though it didn't work well for Nessie, you are still allowed to make a point.
Old 28th December 2018, 05:48 PM   #779
fagin
Philosopher

Your level of comprehension in no way equals your level of condescension.
Old 28th December 2018, 05:49 PM   #780
Baylor
Philosopher

Typical crap I expected.
Old 28th December 2018, 06:14 PM   #781
fagin
Philosopher

You are the expert.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:32 AM   #782
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
If you mean a law at any level, then there are plenty, and have been plenty in the past (many many more in the past actually, one of my great-uncles did about 10 years hard labor in Texas, yeah Texas, around WW1, for concealed carry).

If you meant just federal law, then you should have left out carry, because we are restricted from carrying in a number of locations federally.
I mean no right to own, possess or carry guns at all, under any circumstances. That is what Baylor is suggesting with his two copy and pasted, uncredited opinions.

I am saying that imposing certain restrictions is different from not having the right at all.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:34 AM   #783
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Nessie's wrong claims:

Proof Nessie is wrong:
https://i.imgur.com/RT95ren.png
So, is your argument, there was no individual right, but people were still legally allowed to possess, own and carry guns with certain restrictions?
Old 29th December 2018, 03:35 AM   #784
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

"The gun is held in high esteem[by whom?]" is not a truth-apt statement. This is now the seventh time I've had to tell you this.
It does not matter that it is not truth-apt. I am expressing an opinion, based on evidence, that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:45 AM   #785
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

ISF skeptics now come self-debunking.
This is the important part;

"This was the first time the Court had ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to own a gun"

That reads, there had always been an individual right to one extent or another to own a gun. This was the first time a legal decision had guaranteed that right.

So, when I said "Interpretations have not altered the basic tenet that it means citizens have the right to firearms and there has been very little compromise on that tenet"

I was not wrong, the right has always been there, with certain modifications over the years.

That leads on to the point there are many more firearms in the USA and many more people with guns than any other western nation. So, whatever laws there have been, they have not be particularly restrictive on individual possession and ownership.

Then, despite huge numbers of mass shootings and gun deaths from other causes, there has been little to no agreement on what to do and action to restrict guns from those who should not have them.

Then, to get back on topic, no matter how often the police shoot citizens in circumstances that are not self defence, but the police get to claim self defence, there has been little to no agreement on what to do and action to stop the police from further killings.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:55 AM   #786
Baylor
Philosopher

So, is your argument, there was no individual right, but people were still legally allowed to possess, own and carry guns with certain restrictions?
My argument is you are wrong.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:56 AM   #787
Baylor
Philosopher

It does not matter that it is not truth-apt. I am expressing an opinion, based on evidence, that the gun is held in high esteem in the USA.
And I expressing the opinion that it is a stupid opinion.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:57 AM   #788
Baylor
Philosopher

This is the important part;

"This was the first time the Court had ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to own a gun"

That reads, there had always been an individual right to one extent or another to own a gun. This was the first time a legal decision had guaranteed that right.
That's not what that reads at all.
Old 29th December 2018, 04:00 AM   #789
Baylor
Philosopher

I mean no right to own, possess or carry guns at all, under any circumstances. That is what Baylor is suggesting with his two copy and pasted, uncredited opinions.

I am saying that imposing certain restrictions is different from not having the right at all.
You have the right a gun....as long as you don't have a gun.
Old 29th December 2018, 09:37 AM   #790
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I thought they may be a point to Baylor, I was wrong about that.

Anyway, Americans have always had the right to possess guns and do so in huge amounts with few restrictions compared to other countries.

Police "self defence shootings" and how they often get away with murder, is in part due to the general high esteem guns are held in.
Old 29th December 2018, 12:38 PM   #791
Baylor
Philosopher

Anyway, Americans have always had the right to possess guns
You cited a Supreme Court case that proved the exact opposite of what you are claiming.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:11 PM   #792
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

You cited a Supreme Court case that proved the exact opposite of what you are claiming.
You don't understand what I have been claiming.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:54 PM   #793
Baylor
Philosopher

You are not going to be able to weasel your way out of this mess that you're in.
Old 29th December 2018, 02:28 PM   #794
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

You are not going to be able to weasel your way out of this mess that you're in.
I am not in a mess. This thread is full of evidence that there is a huge problem with police aggression in the USA. One of the reasons why the police are so aggressive is because they feel secure that they can use their guns with a high level of impunity, to the point they can claim almost anything is a threat and they are acting in self defence.

In my opinion, one of the reasons for that is the high regard for and the importance of guns in US culture. Many think that the solution is the gun. But it is actually the problem.
Old 29th December 2018, 02:43 PM   #795
Baylor
Philosopher

That's incredibly racist.
Old 29th December 2018, 02:44 PM   #796
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

That's incredibly racist.
American isn't a race.
Old 29th December 2018, 02:46 PM   #797
Baylor
Philosopher

American isn't a race.
The people on the left of this bar graph are.

Old 29th December 2018, 02:50 PM   #798
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I was not directing my comments at blacks. I was directing my comments at Americans and I was generalising.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:32 PM   #799
Baylor
Philosopher

You've made your disdain for black people very clear.
Old 29th December 2018, 03:49 PM   #800
fagin
Philosopher

Your comprehension slip is showing again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events