IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 06:31 AM   #3481
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Gellman is running another warning story.
TRUMP’S NEXT COUP HAS ALREADY BEGUN
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ection/620843/
Excellent article.

Rachel Maddow read excerpts and had Gellman on as a guest last night.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2021, 08:30 AM   #3482
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Gellman is running another warning story.
TRUMP’S NEXT COUP HAS ALREADY BEGUN
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ection/620843/
Very disturbing read; forthrightly takes both parties to task.

Quote:
Conspicuously missing from Biden’s speech was any mention even of filibuster reform, without which voting-rights legislation is doomed. Nor was there any mention of holding Trump and his minions accountable, legally, for plotting a coup. Patterson, the retired firefighter, was right to say that nobody has been charged with insurrection; the question is, why not? The Justice Department and the FBI are chasing down the foot soldiers of January 6, but there is no public sign that they are building cases against the men and women who sent them. Absent consequences, they will certainly try again. An unpunished plot is practice for the next.
Old 7th December 2021, 08:47 AM   #3483
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Very disturbing read; forthrightly takes both parties to task.

I agree. It also lays out how nuts some of the Trump supporters are.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2021, 02:17 PM   #3484
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I mean, generally speaking...considering two impeachments, skipping a term, multiple scandals, no access to social media, etc...it will be quite shocking if he wins 2024. If that doesn't prove what a **** show the Democratic party is, nothing will.
Nailed

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Warp,
How certain are you that the Dems being ineffective would be a bigger reason for a Trump win than an all-in base wanting him back?
Trump left office with the worst ratings since Richard Milhous Nixon.

I don't believe people would even be mentioning his name if Biden's numbers weren't equally disastrous.
Old 7th December 2021, 06:45 PM   #3485
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I agree. It also lays out how nuts some of the Trump supporters are.
SOME?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2021, 08:01 PM   #3486
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n
Conspicuously missing from Biden’s speech was any mention even of filibuster reform, without which voting-rights legislation is doomed. Nor was there any mention of holding Trump and his minions accountable, legally, for plotting a coup. Patterson, the retired firefighter, was right to say that nobody has been charged with insurrection; the question is, why not? The Justice Department and the FBI are chasing down the foot soldiers of January 6, but there is no public sign that they are building cases against the men and women who sent them. Absent consequences, they will certainly try again. An unpunished plot is practice for the next.
There are multiple actions being taken in parallel currently about the Trump regime and the insurrection, all of which can lead to serious convictions. Already the first jail sentences for the 6-Jan insurrectionists are being handed out. So I would say they may be just holding their cards close to their chest while drawing in a VERY wide net. As that net closes, things will get VERY heated and interesting, so they need to have all their ducks in a row, i's crossed and t's dotted first. They are not the GOP - they are not about publicly crowing about all the "opposition" they have bagged.

Also they do not want to be seen to be interfering with the legal process - keeping things absolutely valid and (dare I say) unimpeachable.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2021, 10:06 PM   #3487
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
There are multiple actions being taken in parallel currently about the Trump regime and the insurrection, all of which can lead to serious convictions. Already the first jail sentences for the 6-Jan insurrectionists are being handed out. So I would say they may be just holding their cards close to their chest while drawing in a VERY wide net. As that net closes, things will get VERY heated and interesting, so they need to have all their ducks in a row, i's crossed and t's dotted first. They are not the GOP - they are not about publicly crowing about all the "opposition" they have bagged.

Also they do not want to be seen to be interfering with the legal process - keeping things absolutely valid and (dare I say) unimpeachable.
We can hope, but on this, I'm not about to hold my breath.
Old 8th December 2021, 01:03 AM   #3488
TofuFighter
Master Poster

from trump's 'announcements' website:

Quote:
Wow, it looks like highly respected Senator David Perdue will be running against RINO Brian Kemp for Governor of Georgia. David was a great Senator, and he truly loves his State and his Country. This will be very interesting, and I can’t imagine that Brian Kemp, who has hurt election integrity in Georgia so badly, can do well at the ballot box (unless the election is rigged, of course). He cost us two Senate seats and a Presidential victory in the Great State of Georgia.
Quote:
Anybody that doesn’t think there wasn’t massive Election Fraud in the 2020 Presidential Election is either very stupid, or very corrupt!
Quote:
Do you believe that Shifty Adam Schiff is on the Committee concerning the 2020 protest when he was the one that scammed America and the World on the Russia, Russia, Russia Hoax? He’s a sleezeball that has no credibility and is so bad for our Nation!
I'm pretty sure now that he deliberately leaves errors in these statements that he posts. People in the media pick up on the errors, point them out and that in turn reinforces the notion among his supporters that he's unfairly picked on. I've encountered more than one person who explicitly said to me that they "didn't support him until everyone started picking on him".

Last edited by TofuFighter; 8th December 2021 at 01:04 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2021, 01:41 AM   #3489
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

I'm pretty sure now that he deliberately leaves errors in these statements that he posts. People in the media pick up on the errors, point them out and that in turn reinforces the notion among his supporters that he's unfairly picked on. I've encountered more than one person who explicitly said to me that they "didn't support him until everyone started picking on him".
Obviously, they weren't walking at the same time they told you this.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2021, 05:27 AM   #3490
Armitage72
Philosopher

"Anybody that doesn’t think there wasn’t massive Election Fraud in the 2020 Presidential Election is either very stupid, or very corrupt! "

Freudian slip, a moment of honesty, or just incompetence?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2021, 07:01 AM   #3491
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Twitter was all over that double negative.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2021, 08:34 AM   #3492
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Incompetence.
I have the feeling we'll be seeing a lot of these. (Well, I won't, but you know what I mean.)
Old 8th December 2021, 10:51 AM   #3493
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

They need a better 404 page.

20211208124628.jpg

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2021, 12:52 PM   #3494
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Positive or negative spin, well-crafted or gobbledygook, as long as it gets eyeballs and clicks online, the money will still flow in. That's all that matters to Donald.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2021, 01:07 PM   #3495
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I guess the question is... do you believe those people.

After all, Democratic politicians get picked on all the time, yet it didn't turn them into Biden supporters.

I suspect those people who claim they support Trump because "people are picking on him" are probably hardcore MAGAchud who love them some racist con-artistry, but they didn't want to admit the real reason they support Stubby McBonespurs so they try to come up with an explanation that sounds sympathetic.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2021, 02:21 AM   #3496
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

After all, Democratic politicians get picked on all the time, yet it didn't turn them into Biden supporters.

I suspect those people who claim they support Trump because "people are picking on him" are probably hardcore MAGAchud who love them some racist con-artistry, but they didn't want to admit the real reason they support Stubby McBonespurs so they try to come up with an explanation that sounds sympathetic.
Oh, come on. Who votes for a president based on something so shallow and idiotic? Oh, wait...........

Never mind.
Old 9th December 2021, 02:46 AM   #3497
Susheel
Master Poster

^^^ This...absolutely.
Old 9th December 2021, 03:03 AM   #3498
Warp12
Illuminator

I think it is very possible that they were swayed by Trump and media to be sympathetic to his cause. For one thing, Fox has spun that narrative for years. Trump made it a critical part of his platform (media bias/fake news).

Media coverage, and the seemingly endless Dem witch hunts, combined with obvious TDS, could certainly make Trump a sympathetic figure to some.
Old 9th December 2021, 03:38 AM   #3499
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I think it is very possible that they were swayed by Trump and media to be sympathetic to his cause. For one thing, Fox has spun that narrative for years. Trump made it a critical part of his platform (media bias/fake news).
Sure, if one whines about being a victim and is shameless enough, people not actually paying attention certainly can be swayed, especially if it plays into larger narratives created by the guilty to try to protect themselves. Bonus points if it invokes banal truths selectively overemphasized and twisted.

Media coverage, and the seemingly endless Dem witch hunts, combined with obvious TDS, could certainly make Trump a sympathetic figure to some.
The alleged Dem "witch hunts" that, objectively speaking, pretty inevitably were rooted on grounds that were unpleasantly firm and kept finding that the primary concerns actually were well justified? "Witch hunt" was more a rallying cry to either summon or trick people into defending him than an actual defense or accurate assessment, either way. Yes, though, constantly creating a situation where it would be irresponsible for the news to ignore the bad things that he and his administration did and were doing and then playing it off in line with already widespread and reinforced narratives likely did have effect. An evil man's guide to a catch-22, really. Either they do lots of bad things and the media doesn't report on them, which means that they just get away with it, or the media does report on it and they use that to create and confirm biased narratives that decrease trust in truthful reporting.

Last edited by Aridas; 9th December 2021 at 03:41 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2021, 05:39 AM   #3500
Susheel
Master Poster

The "witch hunts" was a label to replace the more blatant "It wasn't me." All those so called witch hunts dug up pretty egregious activities by Trump and his family, but a predominantly MAGA Congress decided that it wasn't enough to indict him.
Old 9th December 2021, 06:31 AM   #3501
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Bonus question:

When and for what purpose did the Trump Team come up with "Stop The Steal"?

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th December 2021, 06:54 AM   #3502
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Bonus question:

When and for what purpose did the Trump Team come up with "Stop The Steal"?
Quote:
“Stop the Steal” was deployed during the 2016 presidential election by Roger Stone, a longtime Trump associate and confidant. The Southern Poverty Law Center reported that the campaign was orchestrated “first under the auspices of defending Trump’s Republican primary nomination and later contesting a potential Hillary Clinton victory that never manifested.” At the time, Democrats accused Stone of seeking to intimidate non-White voters, which Stone denied. The phrase flared up again in 2018, focused on Florida and its close gubernatorial and Senate contests that year.
https://www.justsecurity.org/74622/s...-insurrection/
Old 9th December 2021, 09:00 AM   #3503
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Well done.

Solid proof that Trumpers don't give a **** about elections, only about winning.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 01:35 AM   #3504
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
The "witch hunts" was a label to replace the more blatant "It wasn't me." "Nuh uh!" All those so called witch hunts dug up pretty egregious activities by Trump and his family, but a predominantly MAGA Congress decided that it wasn't enough to indict him.
FTFY. "It wasn't me" doesn't correctly translate DJT's toddler speak.
Old 10th December 2021, 07:35 AM   #3505
Armitage72
Philosopher

Trump attacks Benjamin Netanyahu for not supporting him after the election, after everything he did for him.

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump railed against his one-time close ally Benjamin Netanyahu in a new interview series, saying he felt betrayed by the then-prime minister of Israel's call to Joe Biden congratulating him on winning the presidency.
"It was early. OK? Let's put it this way -- he greeted him very early. Earlier than most world leaders. I've not spoken to him since. **** him," Trump told Israeli journalist Barak Ravid during an April interview which was published by Axios Friday.
Quote:
"There was no one who did more for Netanyahu than me. There was no one who did for Israel more than I did. And the first person to run to greet Joe Biden was Netanyahu. And not only did he congratulate him -- he did it in a video. If you look at the leaders of other countries -- like Brazil -- he waited months. Putin. Many other leaders. Mexico. All of them also felt that the election was over. But they, too, were waiting. No one did more than me for Bibi. Money too. We gave them a lot of money and gave them soldiers. We did everything."

"I paid him off. I should have gotten more loyalty for my investment. Nobody did more for Israel than me. Me. Me. Me!! Me!!!"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 08:06 AM   #3506
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He's not wrong.

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old 10th December 2021, 08:41 AM   #3507
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Typical, that he should have a tantrum over Netanyahu exercising common diplomatic courtesy instead of personality-cult suicide. I mean think what you will about Netanyahu, but to condemn him for abandoning opportunism seems unobservant.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2021, 02:05 PM   #3508
Warp12
Illuminator

Trump attacks Benjamin Netanyahu for not supporting him after the election, after everything he did for him.

"I paid him off. I should have gotten more loyalty for my investment. Nobody did more for Israel than me. Me. Me. Me!! Me!!!"
As far as claiming betrayal at the hands of a Jew, Trump is late to that party.
Old 10th December 2021, 02:28 PM   #3509
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As far as claiming betrayal at the hands of a Jew, Trump is late to that party.
Late or not, likely an honorary member.

Old 11th December 2021, 01:51 PM   #3510
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Info Thread continues here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=355833
Posted By:Agatha

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics