IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 23 31.51%
No 35 47.95%
I don't know 15 20.55%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd January 2022, 02:44 PM   #4081
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
same here except for a little hiatus when it was forest floor and a short hiatus when it was pavement. I have used some pyrtethrin and borax based pesticides on the foundation of the house but even when my kids were kids they found the vertical rocks too slippery to crawl.
Well, you'll note Gaetan's reference cited indoor pesticides. As I expected he's been conflating just any pesticides with herbicides (I guess ignoring fertilizers). Then making up some corruption and bribery scheme that still couldn't stop some from being banned. Then attributing that success to a professional association of those very for profit doctors he's been bemoaning for pages and pages.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel when that barrel is the barrel of the gun, and one of the fish is pulling the trigger.
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:47 PM   #4082
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
It was a picture to show you the danger of chemicals

Lawn and garden weed killers can be tracked in the house by pets or people, and left in carpets and rugs.
It was not a picture when you said it. It was a mistake. Herbicides are not pesticides, and if you don't use them you don't have them, and if you don't have carpets nothing is left in them, and not all chemicals are equally dangerous. And even though it's true that some chemicals are dangerous, and even though it's true that some can cause, or contribute to the cause of, cancer, it is simply not true that the cause of babies getting cancer is that they crawl on pesticide-laced lawns. That is just wrong, and your inability simply to admit this taints everything you say.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 03:48 PM   #4083
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Weed killers are herbicides not pesticides. Guess when they can't "be tracked in the house"?

When you don't use them. Oh look another way of beating the profit motive, don't buy the stuff.
You fellows are killers working for your corrupted government
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 03:59 PM   #4084
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I work for no government and you just can't agree with even yourself.

Again, I sincerely and strenuously recommend you seek professional help. Heck, find some non-profit mental health clinic, phone service or website that will help you. Just, please, get help.
Old 23rd January 2022, 04:08 PM   #4085
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If that is so then you should be ashamed of yourself for being so obviously ineffectual. You've been working at this for a long time. The result does not suggest competence. You'd benefit the world more just by shutting off your computer and saving some watts.

bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 11:20 PM   #4086
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

What, you really think everyone here is American?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2022, 09:08 AM   #4087
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
What, you really think everyone here is American?
WE are all Spartacus.

Old 24th January 2022, 09:19 AM   #4088
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

WE are all Spartacus.
Since for Gaetan it's all about the Benjamins, even when his assertions mean it can't be, it would have to be something more like...

WE are all Spondulicus!

Spondulics
Old 24th January 2022, 10:26 AM   #4089
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Since for Gaetan it's all about the Benjamins, even when his assertions mean it can't be, it would have to be something more like...

WE are all Spondulicus!

Spondulics
Yikes. Talk about obscure. It does indeed show up in Webster's first New International, in that little bottom area where slang and utterly obsolete and peculiar words reside. Herewith from my 1913 Edition:

spondulics.jpg

But Latinized, it sounds more like some nasty substance, similar to Santorum. "Excuse me, but do you know you have a little spot of spondulicus on your trouser leg?"

Old 24th January 2022, 10:57 AM   #4090
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Yikes. Talk about obscure. It does indeed show up in Webster's first New International, in that little bottom area where slang and utterly obsolete and peculiar words reside. Herewith from my 1913 Edition:

Attachment 46161

But Latinized, it sounds more like some nasty substance, similar to Santorum. "Excuse me, but do you know you have a little spot of spondulicus on your trouser leg?"
Wait, wasn't he a US Senator?

Yep, Rick Santorum, maybe that explains what a slippery stinker he was/is.
Old 24th January 2022, 03:27 PM   #4091
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

What government? I'm British for one, and I work for what is essentially a Quango.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 02:51 AM   #4092
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
What government? I'm British for one, and I work for what is essentially a Quango.
I recognise that's some kind of alien, but does it shape-shift?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2022, 04:41 PM   #4093
Joecool
Master Poster

It is easier to say that i am wrong that to say why i am wrong
Gaetan, you have done a fabulous job of proving yourself wrong.

If a no money world was such a great idea, why are you the only one who seems to think it will work?

I would rather have money in the bank and in investments, so I don't have to work daily to gather food and water. And when I get older, I can pay people a fair wage to make repairs to my home or to maintain my yard, if necessary.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2022, 08:55 AM   #4094
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I recognise that's some kind of alien, but does it shape-shift?
Actually, it's a type of fruit, a Quince/Mango hybrid - excellent for making chutneys, jams and preserves because it's sweet and has a lot of pectin.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2022, 04:32 PM   #4095
Gaetan
Illuminator

You fellows work for the führer American and British.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2022, 05:10 PM   #4096
junkshop
Muse

Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
Hiya, Gaetan. We've not conversed in a while but I have a question for you:

I'm unemployed but don't qualify for any benefits. I don't agree with your views on healthcare, the pharmacological industries or economics.

What nonsensical conspiracy are you going to claim that I'm a part of?

PS: I'm not American, but I am British (in case that helps).

Last edited by junkshop; 26th January 2022 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo
junkshop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM   #4097
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
I don't agree with your views on healthcare, the pharmacological industries or economic
You were informed then you are blind or deeply corrupted. Just the sleeping pills make between 300 and 500 thousands deaths every years in US then the real killer is not the covid but the corrupted health care system.
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM   #4098
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You were informed then you are blind or deeply corrupted. Just the sleeping pills make between 300 and 500 thousands deaths every years in US then the real killer is not the covid but the corrupted health care system.
Do you have evidence to support this claim ?

What proportion of these deaths are suicides ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM   #4099
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Do you have evidence to support this claim ?
I put the link 5 or 6 times

Quote:
What proportion of these deaths are suicides ?
They die of illness like cancers
Old Yesterday, 03:55 AM   #4100
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

I don't. Like I said, I work for a quango (I think it counts? It's certainly quasi-autonomous and non governmental now). I don't work for the British secret service, much to the disappointment of one of my former lecturers.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance