ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin

Reply
Old 29th December 2014, 11:34 PM   #321
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by remirol View Post
Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
And presto! Bitcoin has become a currency.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 05:34 AM   #322
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 05:50 AM   #323
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's not my claim. Check out their links.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 06:20 AM   #324
remirol
Senior Wrangler
 
remirol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,089
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
And presto! Bitcoin has become a currency.
Russian rubber duck never sinks.
__________________
Roguelike player? Info: http://sporkhack.com -- Public server: telnet://sporkhack.com
--
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will walk carefully. -- old Russian proverb
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 09:29 AM   #325
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It's not my claim. Check out their links.
My point is that even if person A says it's not a currency and it's terrible, and person B says it's the worst currency doesn't mean A's argument is inconsistent.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 09:57 AM   #326
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My point is that even if person A says it's not a currency and it's terrible, and person B says it's the worst currency doesn't mean A's argument is inconsistent.
Of course it is! It makes no sense to compare bitcoin to a currency if it isn't a currency (and this thread has had many a passionate argument about this) so, let's suddenly start calling it a currency.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 04:22 PM   #327
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Of course it is! It makes no sense to compare bitcoin to a currency if it isn't a currency (and this thread has had many a passionate argument about this) so, let's suddenly start calling it a currency.
You do realise that you are saying that one person's argument is invalid because of another person's argument, which you also disagree with, right ?
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2014, 11:18 PM   #328
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You do realise that you are saying that one person's argument is invalid because of another person's argument, which you also disagree with, right ?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

There is no question that bitcoin had a bad year pricewise and even buyers of the Russian Rouble would have fared better (although the Rouble has never enjoyed the spectacular gains of bitcoin the year before).

I just find it ironic that bitcoin opponents who argue themselves blue in the face that "BITCOIN IS NOT A CURRENCY!!!!" suddenly describe it as a currency because it suits their agenda.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 04:28 AM   #329
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Amazing. I confirmed it with you, and you agreed, and now you don't understand.

Well, go back and read the last few posts.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 08:35 AM   #330
remirol
Senior Wrangler
 
remirol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,089
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I just find it ironic that bitcoin opponents who argue themselves blue in the face that "BITCOIN IS NOT A CURRENCY!!!!" suddenly describe it as a currency because it suits their agenda.
Who did that?
__________________
Roguelike player? Info: http://sporkhack.com -- Public server: telnet://sporkhack.com
--
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will walk carefully. -- old Russian proverb
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 09:34 AM   #331
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Amazing. I confirmed it with you, and you agreed, and now you don't understand.

Well, go back and read the last few posts.
I still don't see it. It must be my poor communication skills. Let me try again:
Code:
if (isCurrency(BTC)) {
   ****Happens(BTC);
} else {
   ****Happens(BTC);
}
Edited by LashL:  Edited to properly mask profanity. Please see Rule 10.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by LashL; 2nd January 2015 at 01:30 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 06:03 PM   #332
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I still don't see it. It must be my poor communication skills. Let me try again:
No, it's your poor reading skills.

The person saying it's a bad currency isn't the same person saying it's not a currency. How one can be used as an argument against the other boggles the mind.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2014, 06:47 PM   #333
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The person saying it's a bad currency isn't the same person saying it's not a currency.
So?
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2015, 05:21 AM   #334
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
So?
So your comment was nonsensical.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2015, 06:16 AM   #335
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Why?
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 02:02 AM   #336
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing
 
AdMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,293
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Why?

Maybe you guys should take it to PMs--I don't think either of you understand what the other is saying.

ETA: Which I think says something about Bitcoin...
__________________
As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities.
- Voltaire.

Last edited by AdMan; 2nd January 2015 at 02:35 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 03:45 AM   #337
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Why?
I have already explained it to you, but I'll try again: someone on the internet says that BTC is the worst currency. That doesn't mean that someone else, who says it's not a currency, is wrong. It sure doesn't mean that they are being inconsistent, since they are not the same person.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 05:46 AM   #338
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I have already explained it to you, but I'll try again: someone on the internet says that BTC is the worst currency. That doesn't mean that someone else, who says it's not a currency, is wrong. It sure doesn't mean that they are being inconsistent, since they are not the same person.
The irony is that someone who says that bitcoin is not a currency is quoting somebody who says that bitcoin is a currency (albeit the "worst" one).

I know that remirol has already implied that he always believed that bitcoin is a currency but you can be sure that jhunter1163 has never argued that bitcoin is a currency.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:41 AM   #339
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 24,928
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The irony is that someone who says that bitcoin is not a currency is quoting somebody who says that bitcoin is a currency (albeit the "worst" one).

I know that remirol has already implied that he always believed that bitcoin is a currency but you can be sure that jhunter1163 has never argued that bitcoin is a currency.
It's certainly not a currency in any practical sense. A theoretical argument might be made, but down here in the real world it's not what most people think of when they think of "currency".
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:45 AM   #340
remirol
Senior Wrangler
 
remirol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,089
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The irony is that someone who says that bitcoin is not a currency is quoting somebody who says that bitcoin is a currency (albeit the "worst" one).
Not "quoting" -- "is linking to an article which says".

I don't see the problem here. I don't consider it a currency; I consider it a commodity. The article-writer chose to call it a currency. I don't agree with his terminology, but he's definitely right that if you measure it as a currency, it was a big pile of **** over 2014.

All you have to do is read the words and respond to those, instead of the ones you hear inside your mind.
__________________
Roguelike player? Info: http://sporkhack.com -- Public server: telnet://sporkhack.com
--
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will walk carefully. -- old Russian proverb
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:16 AM   #341
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by remirol View Post
Not "quoting" -- "is linking to an article which says".
Oh! That makes all the difference - NOT!

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
It's certainly not a currency in any practical sense.
Originally Posted by remirol View Post
I don't see the problem here. I don't consider it a currency;
And yet you both "linked" to articles that called it a "currency". Even if you think you can use any word that you find convenient, I still say,
Originally Posted by remirol View Post
All you have to do is read the words and respond to those, instead of the ones you hear inside your mind.
I don't know which words you imagine I am responding to but I am only responding to the ones I saw in the articles.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by psionl0; 2nd January 2015 at 09:23 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:42 AM   #342
remirol
Senior Wrangler
 
remirol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,089
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Oh! That makes all the difference - NOT!

And yet you both "linked" to articles that called it a "currency". Even if you think you can use any word that you find convenient, I still say,
I don't know which words you imagine I am responding to but I am only responding to the ones I saw in the articles.
It's just English. Try it sometime.
__________________
Roguelike player? Info: http://sporkhack.com -- Public server: telnet://sporkhack.com
--
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will walk carefully. -- old Russian proverb
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:00 AM   #343
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:08 AM   #344
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 24,928
This really isn't that difficult, psionl0. The fact that Remirol and I linked to articles which called BTC a "currency" does not mean that either he or I think of it as such. If the writers of the articles believe that it is, bully for them; it in no way affects my opinion and I think I can speak for Remirol in saying that it in no way affects his opinion.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:55 AM   #345
Scopedog
Muse
 
Scopedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
Since any breach would probably make the news, I'll agree. I'll sport the avatar of your choice for a week should that not happen.
What's the avatar going to be?
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:47 PM   #346
The_Animus
Master Poster
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,601
Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
This really isn't that difficult, psionl0. The fact that Remirol and I linked to articles which called BTC a "currency" does not mean that either he or I think of it as such. If the writers of the articles believe that it is, bully for them; it in no way affects my opinion and I think I can speak for Remirol in saying that it in no way affects his opinion.
So neither of you believe it's a currency but you post an article that calls it a currency and compares how it did over the year to other currencies.

That article either contradicts your view of what bitcoin is, or it's total junk for comparing a non currency to currencies.

As you have already said you don't consider it a currency, why would you possibly post this? You accept the conclusion of an argument when you've stated you don't accept the premise.

That's illogical yo. I can't have it.
__________________
Straw Man, Ad Hominem, Moving the Goalposts, and a massive post count are all good indicators that a poster is intellectually dishonest and not interested in real discussion.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 01:44 PM   #347
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
You accept the conclusion of an argument when you've stated you don't accept the premise.

That's illogical yo. I can't have it.
It just goes to show that you can't be both a bitcoin opponent and a critical thinker at the same time.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 01:52 PM   #348
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 24,928
Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
What's the avatar going to be?
Never let it be said that I am not a sporting man. Whatever Octavo chooses is fine. Perhaps a Hello Kitty avatar or something.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 02:01 PM   #349
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 24,928
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
So neither of you believe it's a currency but you post an article that calls it a currency and compares how it did over the year to other currencies.

That article either contradicts your view of what bitcoin is, or it's total junk for comparing a non currency to currencies.

As you have already said you don't consider it a currency, why would you possibly post this? You accept the conclusion of an argument when you've stated you don't accept the premise.

That's illogical yo. I can't have it.
I'm having a hard time even parsing this. There's not an "argument" here; the articles simply showed that BTC lost more than half of its value in 2014, which is a worse performance than any currency on earth. That's not arguable. That's a fact.

If it would make you feel better, I could compile a similar chart showing BTC's performance against, say, gold, platinum, copper and lean hogs (if BTC is deemed a commodity) or against the Dow, S&P, Russell 2000 and Nikkei (if it's deemed an investment). I'm sure the comparisons would reflect equally poorly on BTC.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:02 PM   #350
remirol
Senior Wrangler
 
remirol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,089
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
So neither of you believe it's a currency but you post an article that calls it a currency and compares how it did over the year to other currencies.
So tell me, what about the article changes if you replace the word "currency" with the word "commodity" everywhere that it's used to reference Bitcoin?

Quote:
That's illogical yo. I can't have it.
Only for an extremely narrow definition of "logic".

I'm hardly surprised at this reaction, though -- the Bitbugs in this thread have all avoided discussing the content of the article in favor of shouting in faux-glee that someone bothered to call Bitcoin a currency. As noted earlier both in this thread and others: Unsinkable Rubber Duckie.
__________________
Roguelike player? Info: http://sporkhack.com -- Public server: telnet://sporkhack.com
--
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will walk carefully. -- old Russian proverb
remirol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 04:25 AM   #351
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The irony is that someone who says that bitcoin is not a currency is quoting somebody who says that bitcoin is a currency (albeit the "worst" one).
Yes I know, and I told you why it isn't so.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 05:26 AM   #352
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yes I know, and I told you why it isn't so.
No you didn't.

You seemed to infer that I believed that the sources were wrong about bitcoin prices because they called bitcoin a "currency".

I would never be guilty of such uncritical thinking.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 06:52 AM   #353
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 25,926
Don't make me stop this car!! Because I will!

And I'll tell you right now, I don't want to hear any of the but-he-started-it ****.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:59 AM   #354
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
No you didn't.
Oh, so now you're back to not understanding. Well you can play your games on your own.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 12:55 PM   #355
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
BTC just dropped under 300$ again.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 12:59 PM   #356
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 3157'S 11557'E
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by remirol View Post
I'm hardly surprised at this reaction, though -- the Bitbugs in this thread have all avoided discussing the content of the article in favor of shouting in faux-glee that someone bothered to call Bitcoin a currency.
So bitcoin lost nearly 3/4 of its value in 2014 and the Russian Rouble didn't. What's so discussion-worthy about that? If the articles hadn't called bitcoin a currency there would be nothing to comment on.

Of course, I never expected that drawing attention to the currency aspect would result in all this hoo ha but - there you go.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 01:56 PM   #357
The_Animus
Master Poster
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,601
Originally Posted by remirol View Post
Only for an extremely narrow definition of "logic".

I'm hardly surprised at this reaction, though -- the Bitbugs in this thread have all avoided discussing the content of the article in favor of shouting in faux-glee that someone bothered to call Bitcoin a currency. As noted earlier both in this thread and others: Unsinkable Rubber Duckie.
I understand the article just fine and bitcoin did lose more value than any currency. The article is logically consistant, at least for anyone who believe bitcoin qualifies as a currency.

You and Jhunter accepting the article and its conclusion while simultaneously rejecting the premise is illogical. It's logic 101 and I'm sorry if you don't understand but I'm not wasting anymore time on this portion of the discussion.
__________________
Straw Man, Ad Hominem, Moving the Goalposts, and a massive post count are all good indicators that a poster is intellectually dishonest and not interested in real discussion.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.

Last edited by The_Animus; 3rd January 2015 at 01:58 PM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 02:19 PM   #358
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 24,928
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
You and Jhunter accepting the article and its conclusion while simultaneously rejecting the premise is illogical. It's logic 101 and I'm sorry if you don't understand but I'm not wasting anymore time on this portion of the discussion.
There isn't a "premise". BTC was compared to currencies by the author of the article. I disagree with the author that BTC is a currency, at least in any useful sense, but that in no way invalidates the author's conclusion that BTC performed worse than any currency on earth last year because that conclusion is factual.

I can't explain it any more clearly than that.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 04:17 PM   #359
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,285
286.9$

Don't know what's going on but it hasn't been this low in a while.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2015, 05:27 PM   #360
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 24,928
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
286.9$

Don't know what's going on but it hasn't been this low in a while.
$279 and falling. No news I can find.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.