ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Old 13th August 2017, 02:59 PM   #361
beren
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Anybody else surprised that Skeptic Tank has not shown up in this thread yet?
I assumed he couldn't get online from wherever he is staying in Virginia...
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:01 PM   #362
Wolrab
Illuminator

Do we know what kind of car he drives?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:08 PM   #363
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You can't make that jump that he necessarily planned the crime. We don't have circumstantial evidence like a trunk rental. He could have decided at that moment.

Yes I can. I did.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:09 PM   #364
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The footage of the organizer of this protest running like a little girl from counter protestors this morning was beautiful to watch, like something our of the "Blues Brothers".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:10 PM   #365
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fun times in Seattle.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:12 PM   #366
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Well, not bizarre so much as pointless.

"I raised a Nazi sociopath," is not something one would admit to, even if one realizes it's true.

"Idiot went and started a race war. I taught him, we're not ready yet. The plan is to start the Purge the day after Trump's third inauguration in 2025."
The mother of the Nazi reminded me of interview with a mother of a kid who was killed in a Gang War at his funeral. She denied that his kid had any connection with the gangs, while in the background his fellow gang members were making gang signs to the camera. Denial is,indeed, not just a river in Egypt.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:17 PM   #367
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Yes I can. I did.
You think you did but you didn't.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:24 PM   #368
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

You can't make that jump that he necessarily planned the crime.
There is no magic that stops that.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 13th August 2017 at 03:26 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:44 PM   #369
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Im not. He hasn't posted for a while, and usually posts in bursts.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:47 PM   #370
Stacko
Philosopher

Racist mob denounced by its own torches.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:58 PM   #371
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

And when operating any TIKI™ Brand Products please handle them responsibly-and only use them for NICENESS instead of EVIL.

ETA:http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/...-in-that-photo

Last edited by Elagabalus; 13th August 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:11 PM   #372
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
If I simply define jumping to it to exclude it, then it isn't possible to jump to it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:12 PM   #373
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
"Most of the time I'm a sedate and easygoing racist."
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:23 PM   #374
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

No cause yet for the helicopter falling out of the sky. But they do that regularly anyhow.

Pics do show some remnants big enough to have bullet holes- or ax handle splinters? Anybody care to guess which side took it down?

But if it's true that the cops pushed the KKK towards the Antifa, I sure hope heads roll. Hmmm, maybe charges that cops murdered the chopper cops? You know, death subsequent to felonious action?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:27 PM   #375
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We are finding out more about James Field. He joined the Army in August of 2015,and got booted out in December ,3 months later. I suspect the recruiter who signed him up had some real explaining to do,
What a total loser.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th August 2017, 04:27 PM   #376
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If I simply define jumping to it to exclude it, then it isn't possible to jump to it.
You really don't get it that you don't decide for me what I think? Seriously?
Old 13th August 2017, 04:35 PM   #377
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
No cause yet for the helicopter falling out of the sky. But they do that regularly anyhow.

Pics do show some remnants big enough to have bullet holes- or ax handle splinters? Anybody care to guess which side took it down?

But if it's true that the cops pushed the KKK towards the Antifa, I sure hope heads roll. Hmmm, maybe charges that cops murdered the chopper cops? You know, death subsequent to felonious action?
Your sympathry for the Klan is so touching......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th August 2017, 04:36 PM   #378
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Anybody care to guess which side took it down?
Antifa.
Old 13th August 2017, 04:54 PM   #379
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Your sarcasm is truly a sight to behold.
Old 13th August 2017, 05:04 PM   #380
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The responses are great. Especially the one with "the only Confederate flag that matters." It's a white rag on a stick.
Old 13th August 2017, 05:07 PM   #381
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Tough to gauge numbers, but one thing I've noted is that a lot of the guys on the alt-right tend to be very thin-skinned and hypersensitive (essentially the conservative equivalent of liberal snowflakes) and tend to be very quick to assume that any real or imagined slight in their general direction is a grave insult. See the recent whining about the Statue of Liberty cover on Vogue. A lot of alt-right guys who might not embrace the label "white supremacist" for themselves would still see a denunciation of white supremacists as an affront to their own group.

Very similar to all the Trump supporters and Republicans in general when some Trump supporters were described as deplorable.

Wait. What am I saying? It isn't "similar".

It's exactly the same.

Same people, even.
Old 13th August 2017, 05:24 PM   #382
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

You really don't get it that you don't decide for me what I think? Seriously?
Just getting it on record that I think you are wrong.
Old 13th August 2017, 05:35 PM   #383
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Meh, Seattle.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:38 PM   #384
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
There is a Civil Rights Museum in Memphis on the spot where Dr King was assassinated. Would that count?
It does. However, quantity has a quality all its own. When you look at how few commemorations there are to victims of slavery compared to the criminals who brought us the Civil War, it seems obvious whose history we're celebrating here.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:47 PM   #385
Checkmite

Last I read, the helicopter crashed some seven miles outside of town; which leads me to believe it wasn't "brought down" by anything specifically to do with the demonstrations.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:49 PM   #386
Checkmite

We are finding out more about James Field. He joined the Army in August of 2015,and got booted out in December ,3 months later. I suspect the recruiter who signed him up had some real explaining to do,
What a total loser.
Now that is interesting. He would barely have been through basic. How badly do you have to screw up for the Army to throw you out after 3 months?
Old 13th August 2017, 05:54 PM   #387
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Now that is interesting. He would barely have been through basic. How badly do you have to screw up for the Army to throw you out after 3 months?
Shin splints?
Old 13th August 2017, 05:55 PM   #388
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I can remember quite a few, but that was 45 years ago. Some were for basically not being able to know the right foot from the left. You did NOT want to have Tommy marching ahead or behind you.

In this case, I'd guess he figured they'd have him shooting Mooslims and N-words the first week, and didn't like it when they didn't.
Old 13th August 2017, 05:59 PM   #389
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Basically, I'd have to look up the exact details (and for the record I have zero knowledge of this individuals exact circumstances), in the first (I believe) six (or maybe 3) months you can get a "General Discharge" under "Failure to Adept" which basically is going "Okay this isn't working out for either you or the service, let's just get you out with the most basic, generic form of discharge."

ETA: It's 180 days. http://girightshotline.org/en/milita...y-level-separa

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 06:00 PM   #390
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect he made his racist feelings know in Basic, and earned himself a quick ELS...Entry Level Seperation. In the first few months of your enlistment, the Army can pretty much drop you for any reason they see fit, without having to go through the red tape of a court martial. he certainly got himself a very quick ticket home......

PS: Pretty much what Joe said,though back when I was in it was called a "Entry Level Seperation".

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th August 2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:01 PM   #391
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Your sympathry for the Klan is so touching......
Your viewpoint. I see it as I am the only true skeptic here. I'm open to either side downing the copter. I even mentioned an ax handle. Go look up "kkk ax handle" if you didn't see that as a hint that the KKK downed it.

Unless a video surfaces of somebody shooting at the chopper, I don't know how to prove it either way. If they recover a bullet form the wreckage, how are they going to tie it to a particular gun without a gun to compare?

Perhaps the fed DOJ under Trump will look into the cops herding the KKK towards Antifa? I think I read that on the first page of this thread, didn't I? That is just as culpable as what the cops did in Ferguson. Cops "inciting to riot"?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 06:17 PM   #392
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Being incompatible with an organization doesn't mean you screwed up.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:20 PM   #393
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just getting it on record that I think you are wrong.
Perhaps then you might review the imprecision of your language to see why you did not accomplish the above.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:20 PM   #394
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Your viewpoint. I see it as I am the only true skeptic here. I'm open to either side downing the copter. I even mentioned an ax handle. Go look up "kkk ax handle" if you didn't see that as a hint that the KKK downed it.

Unless a video surfaces of somebody shooting at the chopper, I don't know how to prove it either way. If they recover a bullet form the wreckage, how are they going to tie it to a particular gun without a gun to compare?

Perhaps the fed DOJ under Trump will look into the cops herding the KKK towards Antifa? I think I read that on the first page of this thread, didn't I? That is just as culpable as what the cops did in Ferguson. Cops "inciting to riot"?
Gee, echoing Alec Jones, are we?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:23 PM   #395
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Perhaps then you might review the imprecision of your language to see why you did not accomplish the above.
Accomplish thinking that you are wrong? I think I succeeded.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:27 PM   #396
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Accomplish thinking that you are wrong? I think I succeeded.
Why would you need a post to accomplish that?

You have a failure to communicate.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:31 PM   #397
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Why would you need a post to accomplish that?

You have a failure to communicate.
Documentation for the future.
Old 13th August 2017, 06:31 PM   #398
Stout
Illuminator

Mental health issues
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 06:45 PM   #399
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Mental health issues
Is that cichlasoma frontosa? [/Off_topic]
Old 13th August 2017, 06:51 PM   #400
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

... I even mentioned an ax handle. Go look up "kkk ax handle" if you didn't see that as a hint that the KKK downed it...
My god!! The KKK has signed up Paul Bunyan?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics