ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Old 12th August 2017, 12:46 PM   #41
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Trump says 'bigotry and violence on many sides'. Because of course he did.
He can't afford to alienate the Nazi vote at this point.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:48 PM   #42
mgidm86
Illuminator

You'd think with all the violence and drama in the news that everyone in the US have lost their minds. But when I walk down the street, or go out somewhere, I don't see it.

I don't see people desperately trying to convince each other that we should hate blacks, or whites. I don't see the militia out in their pickup trucks threatening people, and I don't see Black Lives Matter doing what they do.

I go to the store, have pleasant conversations with everyone there, black, white, Mexican, Muslim and it's good. I live in a smaller town now and it's so much nicer.

As upset as I let the news get me - and I bet I'm not the only one riled up every day - there really isn't much to see out in the real world. The loud immature idiots get the attention while the rest of us look on.

I mean you'd think blacks and whites are fighting in the streets everywhere you go. But most people are just getting on with their lives. There are pockets of serious problems to be sure, but for the rest of us it's just something on TV that we can get upset about.

Neither the Aniti-fa or these nazis represent most people, yet we seem to get fooled into thinking that they do. They get all the attention because the news media wants to make money, not because it's actually important.

What these extreme groups want and say is not news. It's TV drama! Why do I get suckered into this? This thread and these protests and marches by these extreme groups is a waste of time to even discuss.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:48 PM   #43
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

It's about time he stopped lying his ass off.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

Last edited by Tony; 12th August 2017 at 01:08 PM.
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:50 PM   #44
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Fox News says Trump to speak at 3.
A short someone-else-written spiel that we all need to get along, not one word about the alt-right or hate groups or the fact they'd be going off the rails if that had been a Muslim driving a car into a crowd... and then on to the pre-planned propaganda about what Trump is doing for the Vets. I turned it off at that point.

Charlottesville mayor reports one dead.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:50 PM   #45
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
. That is why it is not rethorical. You should always make sure only the violence is stopped, not the protest. If the protest is 100% organized violence then yes you should stop it. But I am betting that even if they organized that, if they have half the brain cell the local black shirt we protested against, they had a whole major slice of the protest being non violent, so that they can pretend to to be suppressed.
Only if it's "100% organized violence"? Really?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:51 PM   #46
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I just can't believe that we are typing these things about the *********** PRESIDENT OF THE *********** UNITED STATES

Bannon, Gorka, Miller, hell, Trump himself. How the **** did we get Nazis in the White House?

ETA I Know how, just can't believe it still....
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:53 PM   #47
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
There's video of it happening at ChildlikeEmpress' link above. I don't know about "bodies flying".....
There is a video of at least one body flying over the middle car, landing on the hood. Looks like he's lucky the perp car knocked him up and over instead of crushing him between the perp and middle cars.

Quote:
* When we showed up at the park, the cops began attacking us, tear gassing and beating people, declaring an unlawful assembly
We'll see about that claim.
Don't know about last night when the thing began with a torch carrying parade, but this morning there was a whole lot of fighting between both sides, including pepper spraying each other and smacking each other with sticks before the cops moved in to clear the park. Mostly the cops stood around at first.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th August 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:58 PM   #48
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
And I'm pretty sure the UK has had experience at dealing with armed mobs.
Mobs, yes. Armed, hardly ever.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:58 PM   #49
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I dunno. I thought protest were fine in the US. Now I read this was declared a "unlawful assembly" ? Even the UK abolished that 30 years ago.
When two groups of protestors begin physically fighting each other, yes, it is time to end the protest. Nothing to do with free speech.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:03 PM   #50
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Are you buying it?
That account is rather thin... and one sided.

Considering half their wet dreams appear to be throwing beatdowns on brown people, and cops/Gov't... that all reads rather snowflake-ish.

LOL.
It's the script of every out-of-control protest, permit or not, left, right, or otherwise.

"We are blameless! All other participants are savages bent on cruelty and fueled by spite!"

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:03 PM   #51
Stacko
Philosopher

It was expected that his Nazi supporters took the statement as tacit approval.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:04 PM   #52
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

I dunno. I thought protest were fine in the US. Now I read this was declared a "unlawful assembly" ? Even the UK abolished that 30 years ago.
The most illustrative retort to that I have heard so far is: "excuse me, do you have a permit for that information? Please step over this way, sir..."

Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:11 PM   #53
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Nice exercise in semantics. The only time the Unlawful Assembly is declared is when a protest is turning into a riot.
Yes, unlike every other tool of power in history, this one has never been invoked for unethical reasons.

While in this case and certainly many others, it seems right to have done so, that's an absurd generalization.

It would be fair to say that's what it is for. But I've personally witnessed otherwise on half a dozen occasions in multiple cities.

Old 12th August 2017, 01:13 PM   #54
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What do you expect. This is why we need a real president. One that the people actually chose.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:13 PM   #55
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You'd think with all the violence and drama in the news that everyone in the US have lost their minds. But when I walk down the street, or go out somewhere, I don't see it.

I don't see people desperately trying to convince each other that we should hate blacks, or whites. I don't see the militia out in their pickup trucks threatening people, and I don't see Black Lives Matter doing what they do.

I go to the store, have pleasant conversations with everyone there, black, white, Mexican, Muslim and it's good. I live in a smaller town now and it's so much nicer.

As upset as I let the news get me - and I bet I'm not the only one riled up every day - there really isn't much to see out in the real world. The loud immature idiots get the attention while the rest of us look on.

I mean you'd think blacks and whites are fighting in the streets everywhere you go. But most people are just getting on with their lives. There are pockets of serious problems to be sure, but for the rest of us it's just something on TV that we can get upset about.

Neither the Aniti-fa or these nazis represent most people, yet we seem to get fooled into thinking that they do. They get all the attention because the news media wants to make money, not because it's actually important.

What these extreme groups want and say is not news. It's TV drama! Why do I get suckered into this? This thread and these protests and marches by these extreme groups is a waste of time to even discuss.
Just out of curiosity, how does this compare to your reaction to a terrorist attack like the Boston Marathon bombing?

Do you even remember the Centennial Olympic Park bombing? That was a pro-lifer perp. I'm guessing that didn't concern you much.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:15 PM   #56
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

With his approval ratings where they are, he's pretty much down to Nazis and products of incest.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:32 PM   #57
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Don't worry, the conservatives will be around to blame the left-wing rioters from earlier even if they were condemned by vast portions of the left already.
Which left-wing rioters and which portions of the left condemned them?
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:37 PM   #58
caveman1917
Philosopher

3 IWW members got killed apparently.

ETA: They're the "antifascist red and black" types so they were "condemned" by some "left" or something anyway.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 12th August 2017 at 01:49 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:43 PM   #59
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
When two groups of protestors begin physically fighting each other, yes, it is time to end the protest. Nothing to do with free speech.
Yeah, and there's a prima facia case to be made that showing up with clubs and shields does not indicate a peaceful assembly which is what they have a legal right to.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:51 PM   #60
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Still image of at least 5 people in the air being struck by the vehicle..

The license plate is clearly visible and they have arrested the driver.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:55 PM   #61
caveman1917
Philosopher

An article.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:56 PM   #62
zorro99
Muse

Making America Great Again
Old 12th August 2017, 02:03 PM   #63
sonofthor
Scholar

Here is a link to car crash. NSFW. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaR-usKzRy0
For some reason I feel like eating some raw carrots now....
Old 12th August 2017, 02:06 PM   #64
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I believe the extremes are massively important, and should be paid high attention.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 12th August 2017, 02:14 PM   #65
sonofthor
Scholar

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can't remember ever yelling at the TV, especially at a person acting as our President. But that set me off on a tirage.

(eta -- I meant to type "tirade" but I think the other word is better.)
And you just "proved" the unite the right point....
Old 12th August 2017, 02:14 PM   #66
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Making America Great Again
Thank god the Neo-Liberals were defeated.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 12th August 2017, 02:19 PM   #67
sonofthor
Scholar

Trump is RIGHT! Both sides are cancer, the difference is just in the details!
Old 12th August 2017, 02:19 PM   #68
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
3 IWW members got killed apparently.

ETA: They're the "antifascist red and black" types so they were "condemned" by some "left" or something anyway.

Three? Or still just the one?

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post

Jeez... that mouthbreathing socialist/anarchist crap is every bit as distasteful as CE's jackbooted lunacy.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 02:22 PM   #69
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

I agree both Nazis and (U.S.) antifa are cancer.

I wouldn't characterize all ideological camps on this issue (of which far more than two exist) that way at all, though.

Old 12th August 2017, 02:32 PM   #70
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
For some reason I feel like eating some raw carrots now....

Made me want to run over a vegan.

I believe the extremes are massively important, and should be paid high attention.
They are getting too much attention these days. Not because they pose a threat to the nation, not because they are a dangerous force or have a point, but because it sells. Ooooh violence! Nothing new there.

And counter-protestors - these nazis would have no attention at all without them. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it (maybe I am), just that it's mostly bullcrap drama and there's no need to bother. This would not have been a story had they stayed home and ignored them.

The main thing I was pointing out before is that if you get all of your information about the US via the news media, you'd think every person is walking around armed and scared and that we all hate each other.

The media seems to want to push a story that we're in chaos, but as usual, the people making the news are in the vast minority.

I said hello to my neighbors today, went grocery shopping, had two nice conversations, and I'm home on ISF where most of the drama in my life comes from LOL. I'd live in ignorant bliss if it weren't for you bastards
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 02:50 PM   #71
Stacko
Philosopher

I trust the anti-Nazi's before I trust the Nazi's. That's my bias.
“The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.”

I may not like ANTIFA but it's an easy call between them and Nazis.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 02:55 PM   #72
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Jeez... that mouthbreathing socialist/anarchist crap is every bit as distasteful as CE's jackbooted lunacy.

Watch you words kiddo and don't imply that me pointing out your cluelessness contains any sympathy for what is going on there.
Old 12th August 2017, 02:55 PM   #73
sonofthor
Scholar

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
“The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.”

Nope! They are both equally cancer. I'll be glad to punch both...at the same time!
Old 12th August 2017, 02:58 PM   #74
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

There is some validity to the skewed narrative of protest coverage.

I've done livestreams from among them many times, local news tends to stand where the police tell them and repeat what the media liaison officer tells them. Their coverage tends to start after the party gets going.

The easiest way to see through it is to find photos of just before and just after the unlawful assembly/orders to disperse. That takes out about 80-90% of participants right there. Everyone left at that point is pretty hardcore. Some are down to rumble (and honestly always were) or may have begun rumbling which caused the unlawful assembly order. Some more get caught up in the emotional wave with them, but a good half or so are just the types with more heart than brains and are still trying to make some kind of valid point, despite the futility of it.

But the vast majority left when it turned bad and wanted no part of it.

Ferguson was a classic case of this. Vice had a stream on the ground walking along with a group of people from the neighborhood around West Florrisant, night sky lit with multiple fires. They went to the protest, left when ordered, went home, and then looting and fires (across town from the city hall protest). They were devastated. They were watching total strangers destroy their city.

This incident today is harder to track in that context since violence has been escalating since the previous night. This was an issue that made the rounds when the decision was made and lots of outside groups got in on it. Plenty of time for lots of thrill-seeker vacation protester types to jump in, as well.

But the same principle exists, this is hardly a broad cross-section of America being seen in this.
Old 12th August 2017, 02:59 PM   #75
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The ANTIFA may be misguided. The Jackboots are scum.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 12th August 2017, 03:01 PM   #76
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

The only difference is marketing.

They both have no tolerance for ideological diversity or freedom of thought and both have no problem committing violence to enforce the version they want.

Do you think the world antifa want to build is going to be some shining bastion of equality and unlimited human potential?
Old 12th August 2017, 03:03 PM   #77
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Before the really serious stuff began, I had the thought that the heavy media presence contributed to escalating events just due to their being there.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:03 PM   #78
caveman1917
Philosopher

Three? Or still just the one?
Who knows? At least one confirmed. Not confirmed to be an IWW member either, but there were people with IWW flags in the group hit.

Quote:
Feel free not to read whatever your "tastes" tell you not to. I'll feel free to ridicule you when you make an assertion which is obviously refuted by information in those sources.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:04 PM   #79
caveman1917
Philosopher

Identity seems considered confirmed.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:05 PM   #80
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The only difference is marketing.

They both have no tolerance for ideological diversity or freedom of thought and both have no problem committing violence to enforce the version they want.

Do you think the world antifa want to build is going to be some shining bastion of equality and unlimited human potential?
I don't think ANTIFA is for anything that would allow them to organize into anything more than a counter protest group. And hell no marketing isn't the only difference. We're talking about Nazis that are killing people.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics