ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st August 2017, 07:49 PM   #41
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
From :http://thedmonline.com/greek-life-re...bias-concerns/

Here's a story about the incident @ American University:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/us/ame...sts/index.html

Given those facts I'll give that student a pass for getting temporarily upset.
You mean how they called in the FBI to investigate the hate crime of three bananas being hung in a tree?

'K
Old 31st August 2017, 07:52 PM   #42
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You mean how they called in the FBI to investigate the hate crime of three bananas being hung in a tree?

'K
Yeah, no.

"A person dressed in black from head to toe walked around the American University campus and tied bananas to three trees. They were hung from strings fashioned in the shape of nooses.

The bananas were scrawled with the letters "AKA Free."
AKA, or Alpha Kappa Alpha, is a predominately African-American sorority.
"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/health...rnd/index.html
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 08:11 PM   #43
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Yeah, no.

"A person dressed in black from head to toe walked around the American University campus and tied bananas to three trees. They were hung from strings fashioned in the shape of nooses.

The bananas were scrawled with the letters "AKA Free."
AKA, or Alpha Kappa Alpha, is a predominately African-American sorority.
"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/health...rnd/index.html
Yeah, they did call in the FBI to investigate that banana hanging incident.

They found nothing. Perhaps they should look at other sorority or fraternity?
Old 31st August 2017, 09:04 PM   #44
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Ok, with the noose the connection is actually possible that it's some anti-black thing but this incident was just a banana?

I think it takes being extremely easily offended and hyperparanoid to make such a connection for a lone banana peel in a tree.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 09:19 PM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yeah but WHY?
The article explains why pretty well, actually. I'd try to summarize it for you, but I feel like you'd just start asking me to justify it. I'd rather you just read it for yourself, and asked informed questions about what was actually said.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 10:08 PM   #46
Cavemonster
Illuminator

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
From :http://thedmonline.com/greek-life-re...bias-concerns/

Here's a story about the incident @ American University:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/us/ame...sts/index.html

Given those facts I'll give that student a pass for getting temporarily upset.
Here's what gets me.

The supposed basis of this thread and the many like it, and every "leftists gone crazy" rant is that we're living in a terrible epidemic of people on the left getting outraged and following feelings instead of facts.

Yet here we are again in yet another thread where conservatives are getting outraged at something that they think those scary leftists are doing that's based on ignoring or failing to even look for facts.

I'm sure there is overreach in "sensitivity" on campuses and in other places, but you know what I see 100 times more often? This sensitivity from the fragile right, ready to leap into outrage instantly.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 02:52 AM   #47
smartcooky
Philosopher

Sometimes a banana is just a banana
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 04:07 AM   #48
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
1930s movie negroes. You know the trope: low intelligence, superstitious, easily startled, cowardly.

But we don't think that anymore
Seems those students might fit that trope...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 04:21 AM   #49
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Ok, with the noose the connection is actually possible that it's some anti-black thing but this incident was just a banana?

I think it takes being extremely easily offended and hyperparanoid to make such a connection for a lone banana peel in a tree.
More important, in my mind, is the subsequent reaction.

So, they see a banana peel in tree. That evokes memory of a story they read about some sort of racist activity about bananas in trees. That doesn't strike me as bizarre. After all, banana peels aren't usually found in trees. Someone must have deliberately put it there. Maybe it was an imitation of that previous banana stunt at American University.

The problem is not that they thought the banana peel might be racist. The problem is that they went into a panic. The event they were at was cancelled. The school administration went along with this. Even after they found out that the banana peel was, in fact, just a banana peel, carelessly discarded, they didn't give it up. The litterbug apologized, not for littering, but for hurting their feelings.

A Leadership Conference was cancelled because some students found something that they thought might be a racist statement. This is leadership? The leaders of tomorrow respond to adversity, or rather something that might be adversity, but they aren't sure, by making demands that someone else address the problem?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 04:33 AM   #50
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The article explains why pretty well, actually.
If I'm asking, it's because it doesn't.

Quote:
I'd try to summarize it for you, but I feel like you'd just start asking me to justify it.
That sounds suspiciously like you're pretending to understand. If you did understand, you would explain it. The wording above sure supports this intepretation, since if you did summarise it, I wouldn't need to ask you to justify it, since that's what I'm doing now.

It's a simple question. If you can't answer, then say so.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 05:19 AM   #51
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

It's somewhat o/t but, apart from realising that sororities/fraternities are designated by Greek letters, I had no idea about this "Greek life" business. What a bunch of weirdos.
Old 1st September 2017, 06:14 AM   #52
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
It's somewhat o/t but, apart from realising that sororities/fraternities are designated by Greek letters, I had no idea about this "Greek life" business. What a bunch of weirdos.
Isn't that an example of Cultural Appropriation? And then making a parody of that which they appropriate?

Maybe we should hang all Sorats from trees? Good thing Cultural Appropriation probably doesn't count if we appropriate from KKK.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 06:15 AM   #53
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Here's what gets me.

The supposed basis of this thread and the many like it, and every "leftists gone crazy" rant is that we're living in a terrible epidemic of people on the left getting outraged and following feelings instead of facts.

Yet here we are again in yet another thread where conservatives are getting outraged at something that they think those scary leftists are doing that's based on ignoring or failing to even look for facts.

I'm sure there is overreach in "sensitivity" on campuses and in other places, but you know what I see 100 times more often? This sensitivity from the fragile right, ready to leap into outrage instantly.
No one is outraged, it is hilarious.
Old 1st September 2017, 06:56 AM   #54
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
No one is outraged, it is hilarious.
I'm outraged.

Well, on forums we use hyperbolic rhetoric to describe everything, especially things that "the other side" says, so "outrage" is probably not the proper word.

However, I think it's a real problem that someone would see a banana peel and jump to the conclusion that it's a racist statement. I think it's a real problem that having done so, they would be so upset that they couldn't manage to continue a leadership conference. I think it's a real problem that the administration of a major university encourages and panders to that sort of thinking. I think it's a real problem that some of the underlying attitudes are becoming pervasive in our society.

So, while I will indeed laugh at those people, I will also worry because they seem to be taken seriously by far too many people.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 08:12 AM   #55
lomiller
Philosopher

Bananas used as a racist prop is a real thing. Maybe that wasn’t what was going on here or maybe it was, no one here is really in a position to say, but just dismissing the possibility out of hand is a sign of ignorance at the very least.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:42 AM   #56
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Bananas used as a racist prop is a real thing. Maybe that wasnít what was going on here or maybe it was, no one here is really in a position to say, but just dismissing the possibility out of hand is a sign of ignorance at the very least.
A guy ate a banana.

He wanted to throw the peel away.

He couldn't find a trash can.

He didn't want to throw it on the ground where people might step on it.

He threw it up in a tree instead.

It's entirely naturally biodegradable.

Anyone seeing racism in this has serious issues, imo.

It was a banana peel, not a banana.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 08:55 AM   #57
lomiller
Philosopher

I can’t remember the number of times I said to myself “I don’t see a trash can so I’ll just hang my garbage from this tree”

Maybe the student was telling the truth or maybe he was just making an excuse. Maybe the students who were upset were over-reacting or maybe they were reacting based on their knowledge of the people and environment around them. We are not really in a position to say either way about either possibility.

To be outraged, as at many people seem to be, you have to be dismissing one possibility and not the other in ways the evidence doesn’t support. I’d be giving the same criticism of people jumping to the opposite conclusion, that it was some horrendous racist act that needed immediate redress. Bottom line, if you are outraged you are wrong.

Last edited by lomiller; 1st September 2017 at 09:23 AM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 09:03 AM   #58
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I can’t remember the number of times I said to myself “I don’t see a trash can so I’ll just hang my garbage from this tree”

Maybe the student was telling the truth or maybe he was just making an excuse. Maybe the students who were upset were over-reacting or maybe they were reacting based on their knowledge of the people and environment around them. We are not really in a position to say either way about either possibility.

To be outraged, as at many people seem to be, you have to be dismissing one possibility and not the other in ways the evidence doesn’t support. I’d be giving the same criticism of people jumping to the opposite conclusion, that it was some horrendous racist act that needed immediate redress. Bottom line, if you are outraged by this you outraged you are wrong.
A banana peel stuck up in a tree is not a banana hanging from a tree.

I'm not outraged or surprised.

I decided a long time ago that the USA was doomed.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 09:06 AM   #59
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Bottom line, if you are outraged by this you outraged you are wrong.
lol wut.
Old 1st September 2017, 09:24 AM   #60
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
A guy ate a banana.

Seems like it would have been easy to toss it somewhere on the ground where people do not walk and it wouldn't even be readily seen. I'm thinking about under a bush.

Quote:

It looks more like it was placed on an old low branch stub. If an animal or person doesn't take it away it will dry up, turning black and stay there. I think that complete decomposition will take longer if it's hanging in a tree rather than sitting on the ground.

It may have been intentionally placed there, in full easy view, but without any racist intent or intended symbolism of any kind. "Here is where I am going to put my banana peel. Maybe somebody else will throw it away, or maybe not. I have no thoughts other than that."
Old 1st September 2017, 09:32 AM   #61
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Seems like it would have been easy to toss it somewhere on the ground where people do not walk and it wouldn't even be readily seen. I'm thinking about under a bush.

It looks more like it was placed on an old low branch stub. If an animal or person doesn't take it away it will dry up, turning black and stay there. I think that complete decomposition will take longer if it's hanging in a tree rather than sitting on the ground.

It may have been intentionally placed there, in full easy view, but without any racist intent or intended symbolism of any kind. "Here is where I am going to put my banana peel. Maybe somebody else will throw it away, or maybe not. I have no thoughts other than that."
If you are walking along eating a banana, you aren't likely to look for a place to hide the peel. Most likely you will take the quick solution and not even stop walking. Maybe he thought it would be littering to throw it on the ground?

I think that's all beside the point.

How is a banana peel on a branch enough to incapacitate people?

Old 1st September 2017, 09:47 AM   #62
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Imagine what a cold, gray world this sort of olympic grade conclusion jumping will lead to.
Old 1st September 2017, 09:52 AM   #63
lomiller
Philosopher

That seems like the sort of overcomplicated story that makes the account less believable not more.

Thatís really beside the point though. To be outraged over this you need to be implicitly accepting one personís explanation while implicitly rejecting the trustworthiness of other. There isnít enough here to say anything with any certainty, so if you are outraged it can only be because you are predisposed to assume the white student needs to be trusted while the black students canít be or that the black students need to be trusted and the white student canít be.
Old 1st September 2017, 09:58 AM   #64
lomiller
Philosopher

Agreed. The problem I am having isnít that itís some clear racist act, itís that people are assuming implicitly that it isnít and dismissing the concerns of the black students out of hand. This suggests implicitly trusting white students while implicitly mistrusting black students.
Old 1st September 2017, 09:59 AM   #65
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

That seems like the sort of overcomplicated story that makes the account less believable not more.

Thatís really beside the point though. To be outraged over this you need to be implicitly accepting one personís explanation while implicitly rejecting the trustworthiness of other. There isnít enough here to say anything with any certainty, so if you are outraged it can only be because you are predisposed to assume the white student needs to be trusted while the black students canít be or that the black students need to be trusted and the white student canít be.
So you are saying that the blacks and the administration that caved into them rejected the trustworthiness of the person that freely admitted that he put the banana peel in the tree because he could not find a can.

Interesting.
Old 1st September 2017, 10:16 AM   #66
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If you are walking along eating a banana, you aren't likely to look for a place to hide the peel. Most likely you will take the quick solution and not even stop walking. Maybe he thought it would be littering to throw it on the ground?
Personally, I would toss it under a bush so that nobody has to look at it, or trouble themselves to pick it up and dispose of it so that nobody else has to look at it. A groundskeeper might see it hanging low on the tree and dispose of it thinking nothing other than "stupid kids making more work for me".

Quote:
I think that's all beside the point.

How is a banana peel on a branch enough to incapacitate people?
I agree. You might have to want this to symbolize racism to do anything other than think "carefree kids are not yet adults". A banana peel hanging in full view at eye level isn't really an acceptable feature at a retreat camp. It's somewhat ugly to have any kind of waste in view even if it is biodegradable food waste.

If this really is a meaningful expression of racism then what comes next? Would throwing a banana peel into the trash become a symbol of throwing black people into the garbage can?
Old 1st September 2017, 10:16 AM   #67
This is The End

A guy ate a banana.

Anyone seeing racism in this has serious issues, imo.

It was a banana peel, not a banana.

That would all be true except for the fact that a few months before, at the same University, someone hung bananas from trees with nooses.

And no, you can't just say they were hung up with string. You have to tie it a certain way for it to be a noose. You cannot tie it that way unintentionally.

So even though it would still be a coincidence, a person when it was first spotted would not know that.
Old 1st September 2017, 10:27 AM   #68
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
That would all be true except for the fact that a few months before, at the same University, someone hung bananas from trees with nooses.

And no, you can't just say they were hung up with string. You have to tie it a certain way for it to be a noose. You cannot tie it that way unintentionally.

So even though it would still be a coincidence, a person when it was first spotted would not know that.
well, it wasn't the same college, it was a banana peel and not a whole banana and it most certainly was not hung up with string in the shape of a noose.
Old 1st September 2017, 10:29 AM   #69
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Agreed. The problem I am having isnít that itís some clear racist act, itís that people are assuming implicitly that it isnít and dismissing the concerns of the black students out of hand. This suggests implicitly trusting white students while implicitly mistrusting black students.
I don't trouble myself with these distinctions because as far as I'm concerned colleges have always had knuckleheads of all colors. It's a dumb move to hang the peel in a tree where anybody can see it. It's a dumb move to see it and get all bent out of shape because racism.

Aww hell, we could make an argument that a banana peel hanging in front of a white-occupied cabin also has racist symbolism.
Old 1st September 2017, 10:47 AM   #70
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe the white guy who hung it in the tree actually hates white people and did it as a false flag move. A false peel strategy to have scorn and consequences heaped upon white students. Anybody will automatically think it was done by a white racist who hates blacks. Nobody will imagine the truth - that it's a white who hates whites. The white guy feels that he is surrounded by white racists and he hates that. He is so irked by that that he decides to create chaos with a false peel. It worked.
Old 1st September 2017, 10:59 AM   #71
lomiller
Philosopher

I don't trouble myself with these distinctions because as far as I'm concerned colleges have always had knuckleheads of all colors. It's a dumb move to hang the peel in a tree where anybody can see it. It's a dumb move to see it and get all bent out of shape because racism.

Aww hell, we could make an argument that a banana peel hanging in front of a white-occupied cabin also has racist symbolism.
Again though, bananas really do get used as racist props.

https://www.nhl.com/news/banana-thro...ondon/c-589488

Presumably the students who were offended know their community and their peers so it's every bit as reasonable to assume this was part of a larger pattern as it is to assume that it was completely innocent.
Old 1st September 2017, 11:05 AM   #72
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Again though, bananas really do get used as racist props.

https://www.nhl.com/news/banana-thro...ondon/c-589488

Presumably the students who were offended know their community and their peers so it's every bit as reasonable to assume this was part of a larger pattern as it is to assume that it was completely innocent.
I wouldn't condemn them for thinking it might be a racist comment. However, I would criticize them for being paralyzed, cancelling events, leaving the room crying, and generally carrying on like babies because somebody did something that could possibily be racist. I would only be slightly less critical of their behavior if someone had done something that was actually, really and truly, racist.

It's more "hold your breath for justice" stuff, and it looks even stupider when it turns out that the supposed threat was just a banana peel.
Old 1st September 2017, 01:37 PM   #73
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

If I see a banana peel in a tree...
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 01:38 PM   #74
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It might have been the action of a troll rather than a racist. An experiment to see if it would be ignored (as it maybe should) or if it would spark a descent into crazy chaos where the whole thing might be cancelled. A troll with the power to have an organized college retreat stopped using nothing but a banana peel.
Old 1st September 2017, 01:44 PM   #75
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I'm thinking back to college days, and I think now I'm just surprised that's ALL the refuse they found in the tree.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 01:53 PM   #76
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

So what if they got offended by a banana? Everyone has the right to get offended. It is a right.

Oh, I see.... so you're saying they don't have the right to be offended, but you do?

Ok, I see how it is. So when Trump says something about Mexicans being all rapists, or saying he likes to grab women by the pussy, you have the right to be offended. But when a group of students see a banana on a tree, they don't have a right to be offended, right???

Well..... how convenient!!!

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 02:14 PM   #77
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

It might have been the action of a troll rather than a racist. An experiment to see if it would be ignored (as it maybe should) or if it would spark a descent into crazy chaos where the whole thing might be cancelled. A troll with the power to have an organized college retreat stopped using nothing but a banana peel.
Pretty sure discarding a banana peel in anything other than in the proper trash receptacle is considered littering and a ticketable offense. And you know how those campus cops are.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 02:20 PM   #78
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
So what if they got offended by a banana? Everyone has the right to get offended. It is a right.

Oh, I see.... so you're saying they don't have the right to be offended, but you do?

Ok, I see how it is. So when Trump says something about Mexicans being all rapists, or saying he likes to grab women by the pussy, you have the right to be offended. But when a group of students see a banana on a tree, they don't have a right to be offended, right???

Well..... how convenient!!!
I'm disgusted at how these 'Greek communities' butcher the pronunciation.
Phi is fee, not fie( as in fry). Even in ancient Greek it's more like pie.

I might stage a protest, or go on strike. Or maybe lie down in a darkened room while I get over the outrage.
Old 1st September 2017, 02:25 PM   #79
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Pretty sure discarding a banana peel in anything other than in the proper trash receptacle is considered littering and a ticketable offense. And you know how those campus cops are.
Had a whole sunflower seed in my pocket. Popped it in my mouth and rolled it around until the meat came out. Spit the tiny shells into the grass. Got hauled in for littering. Decided that the Greek Life ain't for me.
Old 1st September 2017, 04:48 PM   #80
sadhatter
Philosopher

Bananas used as a racist prop is a real thing. Maybe that wasnít what was going on here or maybe it was, no one here is really in a position to say, but just dismissing the possibility out of hand is a sign of ignorance at the very least.
I agree, we should investigate anything that could possibly be a racist act, and let it be known as loudly as we can that we are doing so. Because there is no way the people doing this are looking for attention.

Wanna sick it to these folks? Just walk on by. You suck the fun out of crap like this by not reacting. This over the top "klan members are everywhere" crap is what they want. They want to see people freak out and squirm.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events