ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:04 AM   #1
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Lightbulb Potential Energy--Dynamics?

Hello,

Many time, Potential Energy(PE) confuses me. Very simple question:

Whether PE is potential to work or potential to return to origional(natural, rest, grounded..) position?

I mean for example, a pendulum at rest(its natural position) should have maximum potential to move on both sides whereas on moving, it has potential to come back to rest(its natural position).

Many such examples can be noticed on this link:
http://examples.yourdictionary.com/e...al-energy.html

Best wishes.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:24 AM   #2
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Hello,

Whether PE is potential to work or potential to return to origional(natural, rest, grounded..) position?

I mean for example, a pendulum at rest(its natural position) should have maximum potential to move on both sides whereas on moving, it has potential to come back to rest(its natural position).

Many such examples can be noticed on this link:
http://examples.yourdictionary.com/e...al-energy.html

Best wishes.
If you cut the pendulum string/chain/whatever it will fall. Thus it still has PE.

No, homeopathy still doesn't work.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:31 AM   #3
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
If you cut the pendulum string/chain/whatever it will fall. Thus it still has PE.

No, homeopathy still doesn't work.
Pls avoid derailing the thread.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:35 AM   #4
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Hello,

Yes. It's the potential to move to a state of lower potential energy, and this can be used to do work.

Quote:

The lowest point is not the "natural position", it is merely the point at which its potential energy is at minimum. Its kinetic energy at this point will be at maximum. All positions in which the pendulum can be are equally "natural", and an ideal pendulum, on which friction didn't act, would continue to swing indefinitely.

And the "natural" condition of things is not to be at rest; it is to have constant velocity unless a force acts on them. See Newton's first law of motion.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 2nd September 2017 at 01:37 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:49 AM   #5
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Hello,

[...].
There is no such thing as a "natural position".

Everything you know is wrong.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:51 AM   #6
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Mojo;11981505]Yes. It's the potential to move to a state of lower potential energy, and this can be used to do work.{/quote]

I meant when pendulum is at rest without moving(not in lowest position while moving). It has maximum potential to move if force is applied it to move. Then, with pendulum at rest will be treated as having maximum PE?

Quote:
The lowest point is not the "natural position", it is merely the point at which its potential energy is at minimum. Its kinetic energy at this point will be at maximum. All positions in which the pendulum can be are equally "natural", and an ideal pendulum, on which friction didn't act, would continue to swing indefinitely.

And the "natural" condition of things is not to be at rest; it is to have constant velocity unless a force acts on them. See Newton's first law of motion.
Do you mean, a moving penulum is its natural possition and at rest not?
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:53 AM   #7
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
There is no such thing as a "natural position".

Therefore I am asking. In another example, whether an electron in its grounded/lowest position is not its natural position?
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:56 AM   #8
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Therefore I am asking. In another example, whether an electron in its grounded/lowest position is not its natural position?
There is no such thing as a "natural position" of an electron.

Old 2nd September 2017, 01:58 AM   #9
BillC
Bazooka Joe

The pendulum is at its maximum gravitational potential energy when momentarily stopped at the ends of its travel, if that's what you're asking.
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:04 AM   #10
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
The pendulum is at its maximum gravitational potential energy when momentarily stopped at the ends of its travel, if that's what you're asking.
No but just at rest. At this position, what is its PE, maximum, minimum or nil?

A new question will be:

Whether PE is dependent of its acquired energy? Say, In moving pendulum, it will itself come to rest position without applying any force but outside force will be needed to move it. How it can be relevant to PE?
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:05 AM   #11
BillC
Bazooka Joe

It just occurred to me that you are leaning towards Aristotle's theory of gravity. It was proven wrong in the eleventh century.
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:06 AM   #12
BillC
Bazooka Joe

What do you mean by 'at rest'? At the ends of its travel, or not perturbed at all and sitting in the middle, or what?

Last edited by BillC; 2nd September 2017 at 02:08 AM.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:07 AM   #13
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I meant when pendulum is at rest without moving(not in lowest position while moving). It has maximum potential to move if force is applied it to move. Then, with pendulum at rest will be treated as having maximum PE?

No, if a freely hanging pendulum is at rest it will be in its state of minimum potential energy. Potential energy isn't "potential to move when force is applied", it is energy that the pendulum has because of its position relative to the direction of gravity.

A swinging pendulum has maximum potential energy, and minimum kinetic energy, at the top of its swing, and minimum potential energy, and maximum kinetic energy, at the bottom.

Quote:
Do you mean, a moving penulum is its natural possition and at rest not?

No, I mean that things have constant velocity unless a force acts on them. No velocity is any more "natural" than any other velocity. And there is no position that a pendulum can be in that is any more "natural" than any other position it can be in.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:08 AM   #14
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Old 2nd September 2017, 02:14 AM   #15
BillC
Bazooka Joe

A new question will be:

Whether PE is dependent of its acquired energy? Say, In moving pendulum, it will itself come to rest position without applying any force but outside force will be needed to move it. How it can be relevant to PE?
A moving pendulum will come to rest as it loses potential and kinetic energy to frictional forces. The maximum PE it has at the end of each swing will decrease.

The sentence "whether PE is dependent on its acquired energy" does not make sense.
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:15 AM   #16
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, if a freely hanging pendulum is at rest it will be in its state of minimum potential energy. Potential energy isn't "potential to move when force is applied", it is energy that the pendulum has because of its position relative to the direction of gravity.

A swinging pendulum has maximum potential energy, and minimum kinetic energy, at the top of its swing, and minimum potential energy, and maximum kinetic energy, at the bottom.

No, I mean that things have constant velocity unless a force acts on them. No velocity is any more "natural" than any other velocity. And there is no position that a pendulum can be in that is any more "natural" than any other position it can be in.
Thanks. Is it universal law or Global--on earth affected by earth's gravity?

Surprising, we do not anticipate "natural position"

Let me first define "natural": to me, it is " inharent sense of right or wrong" and natural to us: "to which we have inharent sense or right or wrong".

So we know, if we will leave pendulum at it is without intervention, it will come to rest position. As this is our inharent sense, so it is its natural position to us. ?
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:17 AM   #17
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

A moving pendulum will come to rest as it loses potential and kinetic energy to frictional forces. The maximum PE it has at the end of each swing will decrease.

The sentence "whether PE is dependent on its acquired energy" does not make sense.
Do you mean that at every position, pendulum will have PE?
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:18 AM   #18
Mojo
Mostly harmless

No but just at rest. At this position, what is its PE, maximum, minimum or nil?

What part of "the pendulum is at its maximum gravitational potential energy" do you not understand?

Quote:
A new question will be:

Whether PE is dependent of its acquired energy? Say, In moving pendulum, it will itself come to rest position without applying any force but outside force will be needed to move it.

The point at which a swinging pendulum is not moving is at the top of its swing. At this point its potential energy is at maximum, and its kinetic energy is zero. From this position it will return to its "rest position" because of the force that gravity exerts on it. But it will not stay there, because at that point tge potential energy will have been converted to kinetic energy.

Quote:
How it can be relevant to PE?

You really, really, need to take an elementary physics course.

Old 2nd September 2017, 02:20 AM   #19
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Let me first define "natural": to me, it is " inharent sense of right or wrong" and natural to us: "to which we have inharent sense or right or wrong".

So we know, if we will leave pendulum at it is without intervention, it will come to rest position. As this is our inharent sense, so it is its natural position to us. ?

Pendulums do not have a sense of right and wrong. And even from a human perspective, what makes some positions of a pendulum more or less "wrong" than others?

Old 2nd September 2017, 02:21 AM   #20
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Your monogram.

Anyway, do you want to tell, there is no position when PE is nil and all substances in any position or condition have PE--higher or lower?

Be careful.
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:22 AM   #21
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Pendulums do not have a sense of right and wrong. And even from a human perspective, what makes some positions of a pendulum more or less "wrong" than others?
By earth's gravity perspective?
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:26 AM   #22
Mojo
Mostly harmless

By earth's gravity perspective?

The earth, and gravity, do not have a sense of right and wrong. The lowest point of a pendulum is just its point of lowest potential energy. There is nothing "wrong" about things having potential energy.

Old 2nd September 2017, 02:36 AM   #23
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Your monogram.

Anyway, do you want to tell, there is no position when PE is nil and all substances in any position or condition have PE--higher or lower?

Be careful.

Kumar, read this:
Quote:

That's the very first reply to this thread. You evidently didn't understand it.

The pendulum, as a pendulum, has its lowest potential energy at the bottom of its swing. That doesn't mean that it has no potential energy at all. But for the gravitational potential energy it has at that point to come into play it must cease to be a pendulum, and become simply a free-moving mass.

And no, there are no states below ground state.

Old 2nd September 2017, 02:54 AM   #24
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Kumar, a pendulum will eventually come to rest because its potential and kinetic energy will be lost to friction. It will come to rest at the lowest point of its swing because at that point there is no force that can move it in a direction in which it can move. It is nothing to do with whether that position is any more "natural" than any other position, or whether movement is somehow "wrong".

Old 2nd September 2017, 03:56 AM   #25
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Kumar, a pendulum will eventually come to rest because its potential and kinetic energy will be lost to friction. It will come to rest at the lowest point of its swing because at that point there is no force that can move it in a direction in which it can move. It is nothing to do with whether that position is any more "natural" than any other position, or whether movement is somehow "wrong".
Ok, simply tell, whether there is any position or condition of any sustenance which has nil PE?
2. Whether all changes in position n condition of any substance also change its PE level?😢
Old 2nd September 2017, 04:30 AM   #26
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Ok, simply tell, whether there is any position or condition of any sustenance which has nil PE?

Sustenance has chemical potential energy, otherwise it wouldn't sustain.

Quote:
2. Whether all changes in position n condition of any substance also change its PE level?��

The changes need to be relative to whatever is causing the object to have potential energy. For example moving something sideways does not change its gravitational potential energy, but moving it up or down will.

Last edited by Mojo; 2nd September 2017 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Typo. And autocorrect.
Old 2nd September 2017, 04:34 AM   #27
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Your monogram.

Only because there isn't one saying "not even wrong".

Old 2nd September 2017, 04:48 AM   #28
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Sustenance has chemical potential energy, otherwise it wouldn't sustain.

The changes need to be relative to whatever is causing the object to have potential energy. For example moving something sideways does not change its gravitational potential energy, but moving it up or down will.
It means nothing is without PE.

Ok, up or down, but if PE is not relevant to change in position n condition?

Say for example, if you dissolve some salt in water then remove it. Will it cause change in PE of water?
Old 2nd September 2017, 05:05 AM   #29
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I suggest that you go and find out what potential energy is. Actually, it would probably have been a good idea to do this 14 years ago before you started posting nonsense about it here.

Quote:
Say for example, if you dissolve some salt in water then remove it. Will it cause change in PE of water?

How do you plan on removing it?

Old 2nd September 2017, 05:16 AM   #30
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Say, In moving pendulum, it will itself come to rest position without applying any force but outside force will be needed to move it. ?

Wrong. Air creates friction on the pendulum. That's a force. It's not a force applied by humans, but it's a force.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 05:25 AM   #31
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Here is Kumar trying the same gambit in 2003. And 2005.
Old 2nd September 2017, 05:38 AM   #32
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

If you consider the Earth as a closed system then a stationary object at the Earth's centre of gravity would have absolute zero PE- it cannot fall. But in everyday terms, the h in PE=mgh is usually the height above the solid surface directly below the object that might fall, the surface that will arrest its fall - the Earth's surface if you drop a ball, say, or the bottom of the well if you drop the bucket down there.

I was seriously wondering how a chat about PE could possibly lead on to homeopathy. But I don't know your debate techniques as well as most here.

Your pendulum discussion related to physical PE. Chemical PE is a different concept. Which do you want to discuss?
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:28 AM   #33
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
If you consider the Earth as a closed system then a stationary object at the Earth's centre of gravity would have absolute zero PE- it cannot fall. But in everyday terms, the h in PE=mgh is usually the height above the solid surface directly below the object that might fall, the surface that will arrest its fall - the Earth's surface if you drop a ball, say, or the bottom of the well if you drop the bucket down there.
Thanks but it is quite technical to condider for our day to day life.

I was simply trying to understand, natural position of any substance on earth not to universe. Probably, a pendulum at rest may be its natural position on earth. However other posters have denied the possibility of natural position.

Quote:
I was seriously wondering how a chat about PE could possibly lead on to homeopathy. But I don't know your debate techniques as well as most here.

Your pendulum discussion related to physical PE. Chemical PE is a different concept. Which do you want to discuss?
Probably, all changes in position and condition of any substance also change its potential energy....physically or chemically. ?
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:30 AM   #34
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

I suggest that you go and find out what potential energy is. Actually, it would probably have been a good idea to do this 14 years ago before you started posting nonsense about it here.

How do you plan on removing it?
I shall.

Diluting out.
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:35 AM   #35
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

Probably, all changes in position and condition of any substance also change its potential energy....physically or chemically. ?
Those are two different things.

If you take a piece of bread from the table and put it on the floor you've changed it's physical PE but not it's chemical PE.

What kind of PE are you talking about with your 'salt in water' idea?
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:09 AM   #36
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I shall.

Diluting out.

Water is water. The state of water that used to have salt in it is the same as the state of water that does not yet have salt in it.

Old 2nd September 2017, 07:27 AM   #37
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
What kind of PE are you talking about with your 'salt in water' idea?

He's talking about a special kind of PE that is specific to the salt that is no longer there.

Old 2nd September 2017, 08:05 AM   #38
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

He's talking about a special kind of PE that is specific to the salt that is no longer there.
Yeah, this occurred to me a little later. Mine was a stupid question.
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:06 AM   #39
sackett
Illuminator

But how ever. If pedlum is made of 20-kilo concrete block, cutting string can impart great damn painful if you or kumar do not move foot away out of wrong place. Cursing with bad words A % F then, oh my goodness yes! Bad words are NO NO. Argumentum tell all this in before post.

Inadvartently, but he telling it, do not try to lie too much please.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:20 AM   #40
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

2. Whether all changes in position n condition of any substance also change its PE level?😢
On order to be a pendulum, it must exist in an acceleration field. In a free_fall condition, pendulums don't exist.
As a part of a system, the pendulum has zero PE at the lowest point WRT the acceleration field it exist in.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology