ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th September 2017, 02:41 AM   #201
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And we finally have a christian on the supreme court.
Protestant. We've had Christians on the Supreme Court but they were Catholic. Now we have a Protestant.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 02:47 AM   #202
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I mean exactly what I said.
Obviously I was looking for clarification, not a retraction, so why say the above?

Do you have some numbers for your claim?
Old 12th September 2017, 02:49 AM   #203
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
I don't agree that virtually any of that is of material significance to the economic and social progress (or lack thereof) of the black community. In my view, all of those things are just excuses. Some of them are even completely imaginary. For example, the voter suppression stuff or the police oppression stuff. A while back I might have agreed with you about the war on drugs (which I do think is bad for everyone), but I've since come to learn that many, if not most, of the people in jail on so-called nonviolent drug offences have in fact committed violent crimes but have plea-bargained down to a nonviolent drug offense.
What's your source for the claim that most people in jail on nonviolent drug offenses committed violent crimes that were plead down?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 02:54 AM   #204
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The 1812 Overture.
1812 Overture is based on actions by the frogs but it was written by a ruskie.
Old 12th September 2017, 03:13 AM   #205
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
In that case, you're simply ignoring the evidence. The "Voter fraud commission", as one example, is basically the all-star team of people who quite literally worked to disenfranchise as many nonwhite people as they possibly could. Sessions' attempt to block the Baltimore PD consent decree, without even reading the DoJ's findings which pointed to blatant issues, or his dismissal of the Ferguson report's findings as "just a couple of anecdotes", would be risible if it weren't for the blatant abuses that were caught on camera - including, in BPD's case, on their own body cameras. Hiring discrimination has been found in one study after the next - I didn't bother listing them because I didn't want to pull the thread off-topic.
What does when expect when they put such obvious racists in charge though, they are going to be more racist. This is a feature not a bug of the Trump draw to the republican party. They know how to keep the races in their place. You think McCain or Romney would have been this blatant about keeping blacks in their place? That is why he is the most truly republican president.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 03:14 AM   #206
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Maybe the conversation has moved on but I'm still on DACA. "Protecting" low-skilled American workers seems to mean shielding them from competition that might motivate them to raise their game. DACA enrollees aren't looking for jobs as farmworkers. They are looking at programs like pharmacy technicians, careers in the military or the next level of education. Sure they might compete for jobs that most Americans would rather not compete for but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Isn't competition supposed to raise everybody's game? Unless we just admit there is a class of U.S. citizens that we deem then unable or unfit to upgrade their job skills, which strikes me as its own sort of bigotry.
Stop confusing the issue with these liberally biased facts.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 03:16 AM   #207
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Protestant. We've had Christians on the Supreme Court but they were Catholic. Now we have a Protestant.
Papists are not christian. That is how you tell the difference between a real american and christian and these swarthy foreigners.
Old 12th September 2017, 03:20 AM   #208
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

1812 Overture is based on actions by the frogs but it was written by a ruskie.
Really? They can't get anything by Captain Howdy, folks!

(In short,.... "Duuuh, that's the point.")
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 03:41 AM   #209
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I guess you mean in the current court, 'cuz overall White Protestant Males completely dominate the demographics of the Supremes. Whites, all but four. Males, all but four. Protestants, all but 22.

Most of the catholics are from the last four or five decades. This might be a coincidence or a sign of the evening-out of American society. Or, just mebbe, the Catholics have been the only conservatives with an education since the latter day GOP started promoting stupidity. Gorsuch was also raised Catholic, by the way.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 03:52 AM   #210
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
No other political machine in modern history has amassed so many scandals and told so many lies.
This is wrong. But nice try. Hillary had no scandal that wasn't manufactured by conspiracy theorists and Republicans.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 04:38 AM   #211
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
Clinton supporters are a "basket of despicables".
I think "bucket" works better here.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 04:57 AM   #212
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Rich white males don't deserve equal protection under the law. Good to get that learned.
Uh...
Rich white men are excluded from trumps vile, childish and hateful policies. They're the only ones who are.

Try to keep up. Deep breaths!
Old 12th September 2017, 05:29 AM   #213
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Obviously I was looking for clarification, not a retraction, so why say the above?

Do you have some numbers for your claim?
I didn't take it as a demand for retraction. Apologies if I came off as as making that demand.

As far as numbers go - sorry I'm not really a public health rep, so much as I am a concerned citizen, so I don't have precise numbers. Series like this provide something of a picture.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 05:33 AM   #214
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Uh...
Rich white men are excluded from trumps vile, childish and hateful policies. They're the only ones who are.
I don't think they'll benefit from anything, though, unless they're already rich. The "'working class" white will probably suffer under Trump.
Old 12th September 2017, 06:09 AM   #215
Mumbles
Illuminator

What does when expect when they put such obvious racists in charge though, they are going to be more racist. This is a feature not a bug of the Trump draw to the republican party. They know how to keep the races in their place. You think McCain or Romney would have been this blatant about keeping blacks in their place? That is why he is the most truly republican president.
McCain? No. I've met the guy, and while we absolutely disagree in terms of politics, I have no doubt that he meant exactly what he said when he conceded to Obama.

Romney? Dunno, never met the guy.

But I doubt that either one of them would be doing the sort of crap that Toupee Fiasco is doing to damage black and/or Latino communities.

I warned, on the night of the 2016 election, that Toupee Fiasco was looking to put together a white supremacist government. Turns out I was correct, in ways I didn't even anticipate. Welcome to the backlash - the white supremacist response to Obama becoming president.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 06:10 AM   #216
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I don't think they'll benefit from anything, though, unless they're already rich. The "'working class" white will probably suffer under Trump.
I guess that's why NoahFence specifically (and only) mentioned....

Uh...

The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 06:12 AM   #217
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
This is wrong. But nice try. Hillary had no scandal that wasn't manufactured by conspiracy theorists and Republicans.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 06:13 AM   #218
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I guess that's why NoahFence specifically (and only) mentioned....
Wow, somehow I missed the "rich" in there.
Old 12th September 2017, 06:22 AM   #219
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Uh...

Chas Bono is excluded?

theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 06:24 AM   #220
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Chas Bono is excluded?

Oh! I forgot to mention transgenders. What a devastating oversight. Thanks for your help.
Old 12th September 2017, 06:42 AM   #221
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Chas Bono is excluded?
Of course this is about men and not freakish perverts.
Old 12th September 2017, 09:09 AM   #222
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Of course this is about men and not freakish perverts.
In your haste to concede yet again, it looks like you forgot to even be coherent.
Old 12th September 2017, 09:11 AM   #223
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh! I forgot to mention transgenders. What a devastating oversight. Thanks for your help.
Chas Bono is a rich white man. Is he excluded from Trump's " vile, childish and hateful policies," or not? Just answer the question.
Old 12th September 2017, 09:47 AM   #224
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Chas Bono is a rich white man. Is he excluded from Trump's " vile, childish and hateful policies," or not? Just answer the question.
Nope. He's transgender which I presume is why you felt the need to correct me. I'm sure you'll have a hootnanny of a time nitpicking my broad statement. So please, have at it! Don't forget to tell me all about all the other rich white men that I've missed due to one oversight or another. I'd be almost helpless on here without your crack investigative whataboutisms.

Chas is not excluded from his vile, childish and hateful policies. To Trump and his ilk, Transgender is one of those boxes that if checked, goes right to the top and disregards the "rich" part. Speaking of rich, lets take a gander at Chas' portfolio, shall we?

click click click... google google....

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ono-net-worth/

500K.

You think that's rich in Trumpland?

You get one doggie for that.

What else you got?
Old 12th September 2017, 10:18 AM   #225
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. He's transgender which I presume is why you felt the need to correct me. I'm sure you'll have a hootnanny of a time nitpicking my broad statement. So please, have at it! Don't forget to tell me all about all the other rich white men that I've missed due to one oversight or another. I'd be almost helpless on here without your crack investigative whataboutisms.

Chas is not excluded from his vile, childish and hateful policies. To Trump and his ilk, Transgender is one of those boxes that if checked, goes right to the top and disregards the "rich" part. Speaking of rich, lets take a gander at Chas' portfolio, shall we?

click click click... google google....

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...ono-net-worth/

500K.

You think that's rich in Trumpland?

You get one doggie for that.

: dl :

What else you got?
Joke's on you: I adblocked all the emoticons on this site before you even joined.

Chas seems to be doing alright for himself, all things considered. He's got more net worth than I do. Anyway, whatevs. I thought it was kind of an interesting question. Carry on with your Two Minutes Hate. I'll be your Emmanuel Goldstein, if you need.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:20 AM   #226
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

You misspelled "you're right, 500k is nothing - in Trump speak"
Old 12th September 2017, 10:46 AM   #227
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You misspelled "you're right, 500k is nothing - in Trump speak"
Trump is a blowhard. He talks big, but his words are empty. You're literally giving more weight to what he says than I do. Trump's net worth--whatever it really is? So what? His shenanigans are penny-ante stuff, compared to the influence-peddling of establishment politicians.

Trump is like Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part III. He's trying to buy his way into the Vatican's multinational real estate holding company. But it turns out they're crooks on a scale a small-time New York mobster could never conceive of.

Yes, Trump is wealthier than Chas. But both are wealthy enough that the difference in wealth between them is less significant than the difference between being wealthy and not being wealthy. In my opinion. Sorry to disagree with you here. Will you ever forgive me?
Old 12th September 2017, 11:13 AM   #228
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Hate me. I voted for him and if he runs again I'll vote for him again.
Golly!
Old 12th September 2017, 11:22 AM   #229
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Really? They can't get anything by Captain Howdy, folks!

(In short,.... "Duuuh, that's the point.")
Since was actually based on the actions of the Ruskies in response to the frogs, you missed the point
Old 12th September 2017, 11:28 AM   #230
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Trump is a blowhard. He talks big, but his words are empty. You're literally giving more weight to what he says than I do. Trump's net worth--whatever it really is? So what? His shenanigans are penny-ante stuff, compared to the influence-peddling of establishment politicians.

Trump is like Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part III. He's trying to buy his way into the Vatican's multinational real estate holding company. But it turns out they're crooks on a scale a small-time New York mobster could never conceive of.

Yes, Trump is wealthier than Chas. But both are wealthy enough that the difference in wealth between them is less significant than the difference between being wealthy and not being wealthy. In my opinion. Sorry to disagree with you here. Will you ever forgive me?
I didn't force you to use an example that isn't real-world.

Donald Trump's administration is solely for the benefit of rich white men. Chas Bono is NOT rich to Donald Trump. It's his opinion of who is rich that matters, not yours. His administration caters to people who make $500K per WEEK, not total net worth.

You get Donald time if you fall into that category AS WELL AS lick his feet. Barring those two - you don't get an audience.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:30 AM   #231
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Uh...

Jewish women benefit as much as men or don't you consider women important enough to worry about?
Old 12th September 2017, 11:37 AM   #232
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Donald Trump's administration is solely for the benefit of rich white men.
This claim doesn't actually mean anything. What you consider to be "for" something is purely your subjective evaluation of his ascribed motives. But that is ultimately no more meaningful than claiming that Obama is a secret Muslim.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 11:46 AM   #233
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
This claim doesn't actually mean anything. What you consider to be "for" something is purely your subjective evaluation of his ascribed motives. But that is ultimately no more meaningful than claiming that Obama is a secret Muslim.
...and my evaluation is wrong because.....
Old 12th September 2017, 11:47 AM   #234
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

His administration caters to people who make $500K per WEEK, not total net worth.

You get Donald time if you fall into that category AS WELL AS lick his feet. Barring those two - you don't get an audience.
Verrit.com authentication code: 04430116
If you say so.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:51 AM   #235
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

...and my evaluation is wrong because.....
It's not even wrong.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 11:54 AM   #236
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Verrit.com authentication code: 04430116
If you say so.
The sarcasm would go much better if i had a clue what that even means.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:55 AM   #237
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

It's not even wrong.
There is much more actual evidence of my claim being true than there is the Obama is a secret muslim crap.

That was all invented by conservatards.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:58 AM   #238
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There is much more actual evidence of my claim being true than there is the Obama is a secret muslim crap.
Your claim is so subjective and meaningless that it's not even subject to evidence.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:59 AM   #239
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Quote:
Washington (CNN)A Russian politician appeared to mock the US intelligence community in a recent television appearance, saying American spies "slept through while Russia elected a new US president."
Vyacheslav Nikonov, a member of the lower house of the Russian parliament, the Duma, made the snarky reference to Russian interference in the 2016 US election on Sunday during a weekly political show called "Sunday Evening with Vladimir Solovyov."
"(To achieve world dominance) the US overextended themselves," Nikonov said. "Because the most recent tendencies, economical, military, even tendencies in the intelligence (services) which slept through while Russia elected a new US president."

"It's just ridiculous, what kind of intelligence in the USA one can even talk about?" he added. "The US sagged in all these aspects for the past two decades. This superpower is losing its ability to define the world."
Again, sane, INTELLIGENT people saw this coming a mile away.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:00 PM   #240
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Your claim is so subjective and meaningless that it's not even subject to evidence.
Suggestive and meaningless to YOU.

Thank FSM I don't give a **** what you people think.

All of Trump's policies are designed for rich white men. That's not subjective. It's objective fact. Maybe you should, oh - I dunno. Look at them?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics