IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Closed Thread
Old 1st August 2020, 02:35 AM   #1921
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
A fifteen minute IQ test is rather like those "draw Tippy!" blurbs for art schools - meant to make you think you're special enough to order/sign up for whatever is being hawked. And on a numeric-scaled test an "impossible score" would be going so far afield with wrong answers you wind up scoring "banana". That much I could imagine being true in this case.

Try it. Then comment.
Old 1st August 2020, 02:46 AM   #1922
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

You said you might do another trial yesterday, PS. Did you? Do you now have two of the 10 data points you need, as we approach the three month anniversary of your agreement to do a properly blinded test? Or did you waste the time you could have spent collecting it typing up a totally irrelevant IQ test?
Old 1st August 2020, 02:51 AM   #1923
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Nailed it.

I was thinking on his statement about getting top marks for his first year Uni degree. Funny that, I did the same - the reason being that I also did a technician’s course before I went to Uni (after 2 years of military service, but that’s another story).

Point is, after 2 years of tech, first year Uni is really easy - the only real challenge is the exponential increase in workload. I don’t know specifically what institution PS attended, but I found that I was way ahead of the standard first years after two extra years of studying subjects not taught at school and two years in a high stress dangerous environment dealing with idiots and people who wanted to kill me.

Aside: if I had the choice, I would have rather opted out of the military part, but at least I made the best of it. It was a crazy time best left forgotten.

Tech gave me a very good practical intro into electronics, which helped me right through my degree/s.

Being more mature helped.

I opted to do Rhodesian GCE Matric Level instead of GCE Advanced level required for overseas Uni entry. I was too young and dropped out of Natal Uni because I hardly got any sleep because of partying too much. No lectures, so I cannot say I got any education. Then I did two years at the Wits Tech. 6 months lectures and 6 month work at places of employment for each student. The courses were not too similar. Got married in my second year Tech. One Tech friend was a Hells Angel.

In the middle of my third Uni year I had to attend army basic training in Bloemfontein. They nearly killed me by starving and freezing me. Then army camps during my fourth year. Lots of adventures and stories. I learned a lot about human nature. My first child was born just before exams in my fourth year.

The only exam I ever failed was fourth year Uni electronics. I studied the textbook but they had practical classes that I did not attend. They only recommended the various textbooks in the classes themselves, so I had no clue what half the exam was about. That was a blessing in disguise because I did two things. I could not afford to fail so I found out how the other students assessed which questions were likely. I also studied really hard and did many of the examples. Electronics was then something I was really good at.
Old 1st August 2020, 02:58 AM   #1924
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Hmmmmm.....I thought South Africa used UK spelling. ie: "recognise"

Didn't they tell you that at "university"?

Whenever I have an international audience I use US spelling. SA does not care.

And besides, people today cannot spell in either UK or US. Ultimately the real test of what one does is the impact.
Old 1st August 2020, 03:03 AM   #1925
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You said you might do another trial yesterday, PS. Did you? Do you now have two of the 10 data points you need, as we approach the three month anniversary of your agreement to do a properly blinded test? Or did you waste the time you could have spent collecting it typing up a totally irrelevant IQ test?

I tried to. The radiation was so low as to be undetectable in the next room. A reject - did not even bother to start.

I will try a couple of times today.

The test may be irrelevant to you. One person nicely asked to see it, and I wanted to review it anyway. I learned more than you might think by typing it out.
Old 1st August 2020, 03:16 AM   #1926
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post

If I do not demonstrate the characteristics of your typical woo/conspiracy theorist/religious extremist/etc then it becomes difficult for posters to be dismissive of the experiences and events I have been through.
However, as you clearly demonstrate the characteristics of all of those, this is not an issue.

I get criticized for not having the intelligence or experience to assess alternative causes to many of my experiences. How should I respond? By saying "Okay, you got me." Not.
Strawman highlighted.
No, PartSkeptic, the correct response would be to consider that this might actually be true, and that assessing alternative causes for your experiences might just lead you to causes that are supported by evidence, not bald assertion and anecdote.
It would also be of considerable benefit it you could actually answer the detailed questions I have put to you, regarding your court case among other things, as a good first step to supporting your claims.

If I ran into a beach house and said that the sea had just retreated far out you should not spend time telling me that what I said was ridiculous. What you should do is give the story credence and do something.
But your claims do not fall into this category. It would be easy to look out of the window and check the sea level in your example. Your claims about EMF sensitivity, your claims about a vast conspiracy to subvert justice and make you ill, and your claims about getting signs and messages from a god, are all extraordinary claims, requiring extraordinary evidence.
So far, you have not provided anything, whether extraordinary or mundane, to support your numerous-and ever more fanciful-claims, despite many requests.

According to what I am telling you, you should consider running for the higher (moral) ground - and getting your affairs in order if they are not already.
"The higher moral ground"?
Like not lying, for example? I have pointed out several times where you have done this.
Like not trying to subvert the course of justice? You have already admitted doing this.
Like respecting human life? Nope. You are gleefully anticipating the apparently imminent death of billions of people.
You are in no position to lecture others on morality.

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 03:17 AM   #1927
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I tried to. The radiation was so low as to be undetectable in the next room. A reject - did not even bother to start.
If you were following a properly blinded protocol you would not have known if the wifi was even on, let alone if it reached the required level during the trial, until after you completed the trial.

What if the coin toss had said to leave the wifi off? You would now have another data point: a hit if you got no headache, a miss if you developed one.

This is the sort of post that makes the rest of us wonder if you have the faintest clue how to conduct a meaningful test.

ETA: I might also remind you that you originally formed your hypothesis that the wifi was causing your headaches because you perceived a 100% correlation between the two things. The level not being high enough to cause one should therefore be the rare exception, not the rule. It certainly shouldn't be something you check before each trial. You find out whether (a) the wifi was on at all and (b) if it was, the power reached the prespecified minimum level, after you have written down whether you developed symptoms, and discard the trial only if the answer to (a) is yes and to (b) is no. And you discard it, in that case, regardless of what you wrote down.

Last edited by Pixel42; 1st August 2020 at 03:46 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 03:44 AM   #1928
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

It took me a while to type out the test. I wanted it to look as much the same as the original test. Size, layout, wording, punctuation and so on.

The two links are: The test and the answers. Have fun. You can only waste 15 minutes of your time.

I do not think that one can properly comment without doing the test first. One does not have to reveal their score, but commenting without doing it is seems much the same as commenting on climbing Mount Everest without actually trying the climb.

I am interested in the feedback. I do not think it was as easy I mentioned earlier. Having some answers was a not too subtle prompt. Looking at a fresh sheet was different. On one of the number series I did it two different ways but got the same answer. That is for a discussion afterward.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sxg...ew?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLx...ew?usp=sharing
That's not an IQ test.

It's most similar to a UK private school 11+ entrance exam, or at least an easy example of that. I teach this stuff occasionally, and if I didn't get 100% in less than 5 minutes I'd be seriously annoyed with myself. (I did it, and I'm not annoyed with myself.)

It's the easy version of the sort of thing my son (then 10) was regularly getting over 90% on this last year when he was doing high school entrance exams.

The fact that you've gone to the trouble of typing this up, and are offering it as some sort of evidence that you are smart only proves that you have no idea what an IQ test looks like, or what it measures. It also indicates that you think this sort of test is hard, when in fact it should be a piece of cake for someone over the age of 16 with an above average IQ and a half decent education.

In short;
It isn't an IQ test,
It's pretty easy,
There's no such thing as an impossible score on it,
That you think it proves something about your IQ is hysterically funny.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 04:10 AM   #1929
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah that isn't an IQ test. I did it in a timed 7 minutes but did make one mistake - question 10 - one of the number sequences.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 04:16 AM   #1930
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

That's not an IQ test, it's a verbal reasoning test similar to the ones taken at age 10/11 to determine if the pupil is able enough for grammar school. Here's a similar paper: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/as...SampleTest.pdf

ETA Ninjad by wollery!
Old 1st August 2020, 04:19 AM   #1931
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I've just looked at the test, and can only say that PartSkeptic should be as embarrassed as Trump should have been when he bragged about passing that basic cognition test.
Old 1st August 2020, 04:34 AM   #1932
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

OK. I did the test. It took me 9.5 minutes but I was watching television at the same time; had I switched that off and concentrated I expect I'd have been quicker - and I scored 100% (though the answer key has the answer to q 14 wrong, possibly due to a mistype of the question, and I'd quibble with the premise of the question and the answer to 43).

Last edited by Agatha; 1st August 2020 at 05:08 AM.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 06:03 AM   #1933
Joe Random
Illuminator

I've just looked at the test, and can only say that PartSkeptic should be as embarrassed as Trump should have been when he bragged about passing that basic cognition test.
Person
Man
Woman
Tinfoil
5G

Aced it.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 06:05 AM   #1934
Joe Random
Illuminator

Try it. Then comment.

Sorry, I'm not interested in drawing a turtle to indulge a fantasist.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 06:21 AM   #1935
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

But sharing the test did serve to distract people from the strange reason not to do a test today, hinting that he's not blinding himself to whether the wifi is on or off prior to the test as noted above by Pixel42. So sharing this test designed for 11 year old children is not a total failure on PartSkeptic's part.

Last edited by Agatha; 1st August 2020 at 06:30 AM.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 06:31 AM   #1936
wollery

Okay, got my 11 year old son to do it. He scored 42 out of 50 in 10 minutes.

He pointed out several spelling errors, the ambiguity of a number of questions, and the fact that some require cultural knowledge that he doesn't possess (e.g. names of US coinage).

So we can add to our summary that the test is poorly written and constructed, even for what it does test.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 06:37 AM   #1937
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

I got 48/50. Took me 10 minutes.

For question 36 I put "deception" as the answer because it was the only one that was a noun, not an adjective, which I think is a valid answer.

Question 14 appears to give the wrong answer, it asks for the last letter of one of the words, yet the answer given is 'r' and none of the words have 'r' as their last letter. I think the answer should be 's'?

So I'm assuming I actually that one right and thus got 49 out of 50.

PartSkeptic, are you seriously telling us that you sat this 'IQ test' and scored an impossible score? I'd expect scores of 50/50 to be quite common.

You're starting to sound like Donald Trump boasting about how the doctors were amazed at how well he scored at his cognitive test. This looks like a test you'd give a 10 year old as part of an aptitude test, not something that can be used to gauge super high IQs in adults.

What kid of job gives that as part of the interview? Are you sure you were told your score was impossible, I'd imagine that scores of 50/50 are very common in a simple test like that.

No of course you remember it, you've repeatedly told us about your amazing memory, so you were definitely told by the test giver that your score was impossible...

Can you see why we doubt your anecdotes about how awesomely intelligent you are?

BTW, how do we tell our IQ from our score? I want to be able to brag on Internet forums about I've got an IQ of 145 or 160 or whatever.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 1st August 2020 at 07:25 AM. Reason: noun, not verb!
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 06:42 AM   #1938
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
But sharing the test did serve to distract people from the strange reason not to do a test today, hinting that he's not blinding himself to whether the wifi is on or off prior to the test as noted above by Pixel42. So sharing this test designed for 11 year old children is not a total failure on PartSkeptic's part.
I don't think it's as bad as the highlight suggests, there's no reason to think he's set it up so that he's aware of the result of the coin toss, and hence to whether the wifi is on or off, during a trial. It's just that there's no reason for him to check the power level before a trial at all, let alone abandon the trial if it's not high enough. It's only after a trial that whether the power level ever got high enough (if the coin toss indicated to turn it on) is a consideration. If the wifi was off the trial is definitely valid, there's no possible reason to discard the result, and if it was on it's the level during the trial that determines whether that trial should be discarded.

So the approx 50% of the trails where the wifi is off, and a large percentage of the approx 50% where it's on (if PS's perception of the correlation has any validity at all), should be fine. Very few trials should need to be discarded, and none need be abandoned without even being attempted.
Old 1st August 2020, 06:49 AM   #1939
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
For question 36 I put "deception" as the answer because it was the only one that was a verb, not an adjective, which I think is a valid answer.
That was one of the very few that made me hesitate as to what the obviously correct answer was, for that reason (except it's the only noun, not verb ).
Old 1st August 2020, 07:13 AM   #1940
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

I assumed that q14 was mistyped and the third word should have been 'binder' not 'binders'. So you should get the point for answering s.

If the third word was supposed to be 'binders' then the question is unanswerable since binders has two letters not found in bridge and rig, and the question asks for the last letter of the word that has only one letter not found in the other two. Plus of course none of the three words in the test end with r so the answer key cannot be right if the question was not mistyped.

I can still remember my annoyance at being marked wrong on one of these verbal reasoning tests at about age 8 or 9 on a question that asked about cathedrals and cities. I don't even recall the full question, just that it was predicated on an error.
Old 1st August 2020, 07:20 AM   #1941
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

That was one of the very few that made me hesitate as to what the obviously correct answer was, for that reason (except it's the only noun, not verb ).
Oops. That's what I meant, I clearly don't have the kind of impossible IQ that geniuses like PartSkeptic have to make a basic error like that.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 07:34 AM   #1942
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Sorry, I'm not interested in drawing a turtle to indulge a fantasist.
Do it, if nothing else it'll give you a laugh to think that PartSkeptic was told his IQ was "impossible" from his score on that test.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:50 AM   #1943
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I am interested in the feedback.
That's not an IQ test. And as I mentioned earlier, the determination of IQ from a written instrument is not just a matter of "how many correct answers." The notion that this test determined a numerical IQ is ludicrous.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 08:52 AM   #1944
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Do it, if nothing else it'll give you a laugh to think that PartSkeptic was told his IQ was "impossible" from his score on that test.
What may have been said is that it's impossible to determine an IQ from a test like that.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 08:56 AM   #1945
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
I can still remember my annoyance at being marked wrong on one of these verbal reasoning tests at about age 8 or 9...
My sister was asked as part of her kindergarten readiness assessment how many pieces she would have if she cut an orange in half. The "correct" answer, naturally, was two, according to the rationale that anything divided in half produces two halves. The answer she gave was five. Most oranges contain ten segments, and if you share an orange with a friend fairly, each person gets five segments. She knew that at pre-school age. I didn't know that as an adult.

Last edited by JayUtah; 1st August 2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:57 AM   #1946
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Being more mature helped.

I opted to do Rhodesian GCE Matric Level instead of GCE Advanced level required for overseas Uni entry. I was too young and dropped out of Natal Uni because I hardly got any sleep because of partying too much. No lectures, so I cannot say I got any education. Then I did two years at the Wits Tech. 6 months lectures and 6 month work at places of employment for each student. The courses were not too similar. Got married in my second year Tech. One Tech friend was a Hells Angel.
Ok, so then you have to admit that getting distinctions in 5 subjects in your second try at First Year was actually no big deal. You’d been to Uni before (even though you said you attended few lectures, you would have been exposed to the subject material). On top of that you had some Diploma work too.

So, Wits Technikon sandwich course. If you did 6 months theory and then 6 months prac, that means you got T2. (Yes, I went there too, finished my T4 - Higher National Diploma. I know the courses).

I don’t know why you mention your supposed Hell’s Angel friend, but I suspect you were either mistaken or your friend was lying. The Big Red Machine first opened up shop in South Africa in 1993 in Joburg, and then in 1994 in Cape Town. I know, I was at the launch party. The Cape chapter president, affectionately known as Farmer, was a friend of mine.

Quote:
In the middle of my third Uni year I had to attend army basic training in Bloemfontein. They nearly killed me by starving and freezing me.
That’s infantry basic training, they did it to everybody.

Quote:
The only exam I ever failed was fourth year Uni electronics. I studied the textbook but they had practical classes that I did not attend. They only recommended the various textbooks in the classes themselves, so I had no clue what half the exam was about. That was a blessing in disguise because I did two things. I could not afford to fail so I found out how the other students assessed which questions were likely. I also studied really hard and did many of the examples. Electronics was then something I was really good at.
I’m confused. You said you failed then you imply you passed by assessing likely questions and studying really hard because you could not afford to fail...? That does not compute.
Old 1st August 2020, 09:13 AM   #1947
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
My sister was asked as part of her kindergarten readiness assessment how many pieces she would have if she cut an orange in half. The "correct" answer, naturally, was two, according to the rationale that anything divided in half produces two halves. The answer she gave was five. Most oranges contain five segments, and if you share an orange with a friend fairly, each person gets five segments. She knew that. I didn't.

I assume you mean 10 segments in an orange? (In the spirit of enquiry, I just checked )
Old 1st August 2020, 09:22 AM   #1948
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

A fifteen minute IQ test is rather like those "draw Tippy!" blurbs for art schools - meant to make you think you're special enough to order/sign up for whatever is being hawked. And on a numeric-scaled test an "impossible score" would be going so far afield with wrong answers you wind up scoring "banana". That much I could imagine being true in this case.
What, even if you get bonus points for having remembered all five words in the right order?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 09:28 AM   #1949
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It took me a while to type out the test. I wanted it to look as much the same as the original test. Size, layout, wording, punctuation and so on.

The two links are: The test and the answers. Have fun. You can only waste 15 minutes of your time.

I do not think that one can properly comment without doing the test first. One does not have to reveal their score, but commenting without doing it is seems much the same as commenting on climbing Mount Everest without actually trying the climb.

I am interested in the feedback. I do not think it was as easy I mentioned earlier. Having some answers was a not too subtle prompt. Looking at a fresh sheet was different. On one of the number series I did it two different ways but got the same answer. That is for a discussion afterward.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sxg...ew?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLx...ew?usp=sharing
Looked at it, laughed, closed it.

So now we know that the previous Abe Simpson style anecdotes were worthless.

Not to mention OFF TOPIC.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 09:32 AM   #1950
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Try it. Then comment.
Why? It is not an IQ test, nor can it give you or anyone an IQ score, nor is it in any way difficult, nor is it even vaguely ON TOPIC.

Here, children get tests harder than that.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 09:35 AM   #1951
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I assume you mean 10 segments in an orange? (In the spirit of enquiry, I just checked )
Yes, and I corrected the original post, either before or after you noticed that. I originally worded it to give the number of segments in each half, found it confusing, reworded it, and forgot to fix the first number. I guess my IQ isn't as high as PartSkeptic's.
Old 1st August 2020, 09:40 AM   #1952
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Yes, and I corrected the original post, either before or after you noticed that. I originally worded it to give the number of segments in each half, found it confusing, reworded it, and forgot to fix the first number. I guess my IQ isn't as high as PartSkeptic's.
That’s OK, at least you can spell correctly, unlike the people in the UK and the US, apparently.

Old 1st August 2020, 10:15 AM   #1953
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Can we forget about the IQ test and concentrate on this, please?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 10:21 AM   #1954
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Looked at it, laughed, closed it.
PartSkeptic marvels at why his offerings here generate such negativity. Posturing such a blatantly simplistic test as an IQ test and boasting that, according to this test, he literally scored a genius-level IQ -- the threshold is generally given as 140 -- is the latest in a long line of claims that are simply non-credible on their face. Most of us, rightly, are just laughing at him. And I guess he interprets that as negative feedback.

But it goes deeper. It's a pattern of argumentation. "You need to agree with my belief because I'm so very exceptional, and here's the proof of that exceptionality." As Pixel42 noted yesterday, the argument regarding the belief is facially a non sequitur. But in addition, the proof offered for exceptional ability is just another facially non-credible anecdote.

If we want keep going, we are confronted with the requirement to behave as if we really are as naive and unintelligent as PartSkeptic seems to think we are. In his world, he's the only one who knows what a legitimate intelligence test looks like, etc. PartSkeptic is perfectly willing to engage on the merits of his point du jour, so long as we go along with all his obvious lies. And I'm guessing that manipulating people into agreeing with those lies is one of the reasons he's here. When that critic's agreement means accepting that he is comparatively inferior, uninformed, and undiscerning, he will naturally be reluctant, and resent participating on those conditions.

My point here is that people's reaction to being emotionally manipulated doesn't have to be acceptance. "Why is everyone's reaction here so negative?" can be legitimately answered, "Because the argument is framed in unnecessary arrogance." There are many reasons why we are sometimes compelled to endure arrogant behavior without comment. But the expectation that only one side of a serious debate has to display that kind of virtue is misplaced.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:24 AM   #1955
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Pixel42 has already said pretty much everything there is to say about it. If PartSkeptic is going to consult the measured power level as a condition of whether to run a test or not, the test is not properly blinded.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:27 AM   #1956
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That’s OK, at least you can spell correctly, unlike the people in the UK and the US, apparently.

So given it is a Bank Holiday weekend here (Yay for three day weekends) I went through the entire 50 questions for a lark. Trivially easy, but...

Throughout, I had a strange feeling of familiarity. Why? I asked myself. And I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

And then it dawned on me. My long dead father used to take such tests regularly to assess the progression of his Alzheimer's.

Back in the day, when it kicked off, he was certain that he was good to drive and insisted on doing so against all advice. My mother allowed it and I insisted on following in convoy. So we did a test run. Scariest thing I have ever seen. He never drove again. My mother was pasty after that short white knuckle test drive.

Old 1st August 2020, 10:34 AM   #1957
wollery

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Given that PartSkeptic has has been aggressively pushing this "IQ test" as some sort of proof of his superior ability and intellect as a counter to his perception that people have called him stupid (his perception, note, I don't think anyone has actually levelled that accusation at him) I think it's pretty important and pretty damning.

He has shown a need to prove his intelligence and ability, and has hung quite a lot of weight of his argument on it, and has offered doing well on this test as a measure of that.

In that light I think we should rightly examine it and how it affects his argument and standing in the thread.

His argument should be judged on its own merits, in which it is found severely lacking.

His standing in the thread has just taken a massive hit (not that it was high to start with). This was meant to be an IQ test that proved he possesses a vast intelligence and is intellectually superior to his critics. Instead it shows that he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about. It's hard to see how any of his anecdotes could be met with anything other than howls of derision after this.

Old 1st August 2020, 10:43 AM   #1958
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

My long dead father used to take such tests regularly to assess the progression of his Alzheimer's.
Akin to the cognitive test President Trump took. it's not meant to measure the level of intelligence, normalized to the general public. It's meant to detect cognitive impairment.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:55 AM   #1959
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Akin to the cognitive test President Trump took. it's not meant to measure the level of intelligence, normalized to the general public. It's meant to detect cognitive impairment.
Exactly. PS has told us he has Alz. It is to be expected that he would undertake such cognitive tests. It is not a pass/fail dichotomy.

Old 1st August 2020, 11:12 AM   #1960
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. PS has told us he has Alz. It is to be expected that he would undertake such cognitive tests. It is not a pass/fail dichotomy.
And we're supposed to cooperate by pretending we're not smart enough or experienced enough to to realize that's not an IQ test.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories