IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Closed Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 03:36 AM   #2081
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
So you didn't know your "new" password

So you entered the new password that you didn't have.
I don't think PS is lying, as such. I think he simply does not understand how it actually works. So he just made up some crap as a cover.

On my gmail, I can choose whether or not a password is required. On my browser, I can choose whether or not it retains some, all or none of my passwords.

Somehow, this perplexes and bamboozles our protagonist. I find it odd that a "genius" would find this a challenge.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 04:30 AM   #2082
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
In light of your recent comments about not making assumptions, I have highlighted some parts of your post.
As you must have concrete evidence for these claims, perhaps you could provide it.

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Hacking a Gmail account that stays logged in most of the time should not be to difficult to someone who knows how to. The hack was covered up. I use strong passwords that are easy for me but make no sense to others, being full of symbols and number. No plain words. I do not let my computer remember any passwords, except really simple stuff where I use the same simple password.

If you read about the blatant corruption in the police, the judiciary, the government and Corporates in SA you will get an idea of how bad things here are. No-one cares and they all know that they can do what they like without consequence. It is one reason I say that God created a pandemic in order to "reform" society.

The Telcos had no problem with blatant perjury and falsification of documents. Do you think that big corporate would not have departments that "war game" their opponents? The fact is that I do not know who hacked my email. I know it was hacked and nothing really done. It appears they were looking for information. One bit of information may have been who my legal counsel were and how it was going. The next bit of info they needed was when I was going to file for an interdict so they could mount the tower. I changed the email a week before filing and I beat them by one day.
Like I say, evidence for these would show how they are not assumptions, which I know you don't like.
A couple of other points:

Did anyone think that NASA was gathering data on the scale they were until it was leaked?
No, largely because I was unaware that NASA were gathering any data.
Normally, I would let this go as a typo, but as you claim a super-genius level of intelligence, I can't. If reading accurately is a sign of intelligence, as you say, then writing accurately should be too.
Do please tell about this large-scale data-gathering NASA engaged in.

When I emigrated to the USA I found that the FBI kept files on ANY suspicious behavior.
Well, that is kind of their job. Has been since they were set up, actually. J. Edgar Hoover. Ever heard of him? Kept a few files himself. Kind of famous.

I see so much corruption and immoral behavior, even in ordinary people. Luckily, not in family and friends, so there is hope.
Do your family and friends know that you too engage in corrupt and immoral behaviour?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 05:46 AM   #2083
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
In light of your recent comments about not making assumptions, I have highlighted some parts of your post.
As you must have concrete evidence for these claims, perhaps you could provide it.
I am taking a break from shed construction otherwise I would just pass some of these by.
Of course I have no evidence. These are speculations. How correct are they? Well, one needs to look at who has motive, and who has the capability. And is my speculation consistent with the type of behavior I encountered. I had to reset my password because the one I was using no longer worked. When I got my new password I then saw when my password was changed. I was irritated but did not take records so that I provide this thread with proof. Do you trust Big Corporates absolutely. Or are you skeptical of their morality?

Like I say, evidence for these would show how they are not assumptions, which I know you don't like.
A couple of other points:
No, largely because I was unaware that NASA were gathering any data.
Normally, I would let this go as a typo, but as you claim a super-genius level of intelligence, I can't. If reading accurately is a sign of intelligence, as you say, then writing accurately should be too.
Do please tell about this large-scale data-gathering NASA engaged in.
NSA. Despite my capability I have a few things that I know I must be careful with. One is arithmetic. There are the odd occasion where I add 2 and 2 and get 2. In one Uni exam I finished early and then spent 20 minutes finding the arithmetic mistake indicated by the cross check. I had to write the steps out line by line to find out. (Actually -2 x -2 = +2).

And then you keep forgetting that my 2020 brain is not the same as my pre-2010 brain. My dyslexia which was always there but I compensated for is now very annoying.

Well, that is kind of their job. Has been since they were set up, actually. J. Edgar Hoover. Ever heard of him? Kept a few files himself. Kind of famous.
I just had no idea they were so incredibly paranoid and detailed.

Do your family and friends know that you too engage in corrupt and immoral behaviour?
Again with totally unsubstantiated personal attack to end your post. It seems to be a virus of sorts that has infected a number of posters on this thread. God would not be happy with you. Your after-life moral score would be a problem. You will not be able to use your "debating" skills there. The judgement is instantaneous and accurate - unlike human justice.
Old 4th August 2020, 06:10 AM   #2084
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Insufficient. You must leave the room (making sure you don't pass your wife on the way) whilst she sets or changes the state of the modem.

That's the only major problem I see with your protocol at first glance, though it's obviously not ideal that you're in the same room as, let alone right in front of, the modem. A cardboard box may not completely hide its state (light, hum).

No speaker in the modem. The box is double corrugated with overhanging sides and then locking tabs. I will put a microphone on it to check for any vibration but I doubt it. I will put videos and pics on Google drive. I can put some noise in the room as well.

I said I would interact with my wife as little as possible to avoid visual and behavioral cues. I will think that one out. Perhaps she bangs on the door. Once for in, and twice for out, or something like that.

I have to be in front of the modem because the power is medium and not high. When high, it goes right through a wall without much attenuation. My sinus is also the most sensitive pain receptor, so having it slightly lower and in front is the best.

The pain is quite obvious and repeatable, so there should not be a problem. Once more a caveat. There might be other factors that I am not aware of. My state of health is the biggest uncontrollable and immeasurable factor. But I am confident that we are getting to the point of a valid test. Remember I have many many examples of harm to me from the tower - and I was not expecting any of them. This test is because people want scientific proof. And I do not disagree with that. It will certainly help my case.

I can tell you that I am in contact with people who are severely EHS. All intelligent woman who are very capable and some have run their own companies. There are inconsistencies that they are having trouble with and so am I. I think they are genuine for the most part. It is hard to nail down where some of the radiation is coming from - and why it is there despite the amount of shielding they use. I have no doubt that they suffer.

I can see the difference with their omni-directional meter that is more responsive and picks up shorted pulses. Not really an issue. They are better than nothing.
Old 4th August 2020, 06:18 AM   #2085
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
(nope) Probably half the forum members have a gmail account, myself included, and a password is necessary to log in every time. You probably had your browser or email package auto-fill your password, and then one day cleared your caches. The password never changed, it just didn’t auto fill, and you assumed conspiracies.
(snip)

Nope. I always close the pop-up that asks if I wish to remember the password.

I open the gmail using a bookmark. You may be correct that it might be filling in a password, but why did the existing one not work? I often clear caches. I do not recall having to put my gmail password in again. I suppose I will have to try it to be sure, since I am talking from my (now problematic) short-term memory.
Old 4th August 2020, 06:33 AM   #2086
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Okay. Gmail.

I clear my computer using CCleaner. No problem. Still lets me right in.

Cleared my computer with History> Clear Recent History. It then requires a full sign in. But the password does not change.
Old 4th August 2020, 06:38 AM   #2087
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Be specific about the obviousness of my lies.
I've already done that more times than I care to count. Stop asking for specifics when you clearly have no intention of addressing them.

Quote:
Thanks for that. My current short-term memory is failing.
I don't care. You claim to have exceptional abilities, and base your rebuttals to your critics on this claim. You cannot demonstrate that ability when pressed. If you now realize that your cognitive skills are declining as a natural consequence of age, stop going around insulting people whose skills have not so declined. Alternating between insulting your critics and begging for forbearance is not something I'm going to indulge.

Quote:
My mistake was not to first evaluate the test before choosing it as an example.
I disagree. I think your mistake was hastily Googling up something you thought would fit the bill. Then you expected that no one would see that's what you had done. Then you tried to gaslight people into not calling you on it. In my estimation, this is not simply you having poorly recalled or poorly estimated an incident from your past. This is you continuing to engage in a charade that you think is fooling people, and abusing them when it fails.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 06:41 AM   #2088
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think that big corporate would not have departments that "war game" their opponents?
You still think you know what this means. You're still wrong. Do you have any interest whatsoever in correcting yet another of your errors? Or are you still going to let anti-capitalist activists lead you around by the nose and pretend that this makes you a genius?

Quote:
Did anyone think that NASA was gathering data on the scale they were until it was leaked?
What on earth are you talking about?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 06:43 AM   #2089
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Insufficient. You must leave the room (making sure you don't pass your wife on the way) whilst she sets or changes the state of the modem.

That's the only major problem I see with your protocol at first glance, though it's obviously not ideal that you're in the same room as, let alone right in front of, the modem. A cardboard box may not completely hide its state (light, hum).

If it is necessary to wait for a sufficient power level in a significant proportion of the trials when the box is on, then another potential issue is that it might be possible for PartSkeptic to get a pretty good idea of whether the box is on or off by how long he has to wait.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 07:02 AM   #2090
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

If there is any insinuation, it would be that some people are not trying to be helpful
No. You made no such distinction in your blanket insult. Your insult was squarely aimed at those who are legitimately trying to be helpful, as those are the people who have claimed expertise in experimental protocols and are helping you design one. You proposed a protocol which would have blatantly incurred foreknowledge of the experimental variable and tried to claim superiority over the other protocol-designers for not having first thought about so "easy" a solution. Your statement has absolutely no effect on anyone who isn't legitimately thinking about protocols.

Quote:
and also are blinded by cognitive bias where they do not want me to succeed.
Straw man. Nobody here cares about the outcome, and many here have stated this explicitly. The interest is solely in conducting a proper test. Constantly trying to attribute to your critics a motive they have expressly denied displays your bias, not theirs.

Quote:
I admit to some irritation in having to deal with the insults.
The forum provides a mechanism that frees you from having to do that. You clearly have not availed yourself of it, because doing so would require another person to agree that you are being insulted. You evidently don't want to submit to that judgment, because then it would become apparent that you're just trying to play the victim for rhetorical effect.

Nobody cares that you think their rebuttals "irritate" you.

Quote:
And once more you could not help but throw in a parting personal insult as well.
Noting that your behavior doesn't match your claimed motives is not an insult.
Old 4th August 2020, 07:21 AM   #2091
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

No speaker in the modem. The box is double corrugated with overhanging sides and then locking tabs. I will put a microphone on it to check for any vibration but I doubt it. I will put videos and pics on Google drive. I can put some noise in the room as well.

I said I would interact with my wife as little as possible to avoid visual and behavioral cues. I will think that one out. Perhaps she bangs on the door. Once for in, and twice for out, or something like that.

I have to be in front of the modem because the power is medium and not high. When high, it goes right through a wall without much attenuation. My sinus is also the most sensitive pain receptor, so having it slightly lower and in front is the best.
I'm still struggling to understand your protocol, especially the monitoring of the meter, and I urge you again to specify it in detail, step by step. Nothing is so obvious that it doesn't need to be spelled out, there must be no ambiguity whatsoever. If you do this you will not only allow others to (productively) nit pick, you may also see some potential pitfalls yourself.

The maximum interaction you can have with your wife during each trial really is zero. Even banging on the wall is problematic, there may be subtly different ways in which she knocks that your subconscious can pick up on. A fixed time schedule you both work to is better.

There are obviously limits to the rigour possible in an informal test, but whatever sloppiness can be eliminated should be. You don't want to realise the precaution you should have taken and didn't only when you repeat the test under the eyes of CfIIG.
Old 4th August 2020, 11:45 AM   #2092
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
sorry, I had IQ tests in my head when typing, so threw in a sodium instead of a Na
Thanks. My quick guess was that it was your jokey way of saying "na(h)". Point for me.

Why is the most common heating element wire (toasters, hairdryers, non- temp controlled e-cigs, etc) always called by its' trademarked name "Kanthal" and not its' chemical abreviation like most other modern metals (other wire, various Lithium battery chemistry etc.)?

Hint... kanthal is actually iron, chromium and alumin(i)um.

/derail

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 12:23 PM   #2093
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Thanks. My quick guess was that it was your jokey way of saying "na(h)". Point for me.

Why is the most common heating element wire (toasters, hairdryers, non- temp controlled e-cigs, etc) always called by its' trademarked name "Kanthal" and not its' chemical abreviation like most other modern metals (other wire, various Lithium battery chemistry etc.)?

/derail

Old 4th August 2020, 06:22 PM   #2094
Humots
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
The min-series was as awful as any Dune movie or mini-series.

Similarly to Dune, is the book of RiverWorld worth reading?
There is more than one book, there are five.

I read the first few a long long time ago, so I may get a few things wrong.

I suggest trying the first book, "To Your Scattered Bodies Go," which sets up the situation but does not resolve anything.

IIRC, Farmer did a bit of retconning, and at least once put in a last line suggesting that the given resolution was only apparent.

Sort of like the ending I saw in a novel by Issac Asimov. After the "final resolution," a character asks "But why did you do thus_and_so?", and the character addressed says "Huh? I didn't do that!", ending with "Then who did?" Cut to the sequel.

Last edited by Humots; 4th August 2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Forgot an important part
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 07:35 PM   #2095
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Humots View Post
There is more than one book, there are five.

I read the first few a long long time ago, so I may get a few things wrong.

I suggest trying the first book, "To Your Scattered Bodies Go," which sets up the situation but does not resolve anything.

IIRC, Farmer did a bit of retconning, and at least once put in a last line suggesting that the given resolution was only apparent.

Sort of like the ending I saw in a novel by Issac Asimov. After the "final resolution," a character asks "But why did you do thus_and_so?", and the character addressed says "Huh? I didn't do that!", ending with "Then who did?" Cut to the sequel.
cheers, I’ll give it a bash.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 01:55 AM   #2096
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
If it is necessary to wait for a sufficient power level in a significant proportion of the trials when the box is on, then another potential issue is that it might be possible for PartSkeptic to get a pretty good idea of whether the box is on or off by how long he has to wait.

I have figured out a protocol to get the modem to medium power in a few minutes. I have to do the setup to be sure. Once there, it seems to stay at that level. That is all I need for consistency to start the test.

The power level seems to be proportional to the pain level. There is a short delay of about 3-5 minutes, and then the pain increases and spreads.

I suppose I could tell what the level is by the progression of the pain, but neither the modem transmission, nor my perception of pain, is consistent.

When working around the house with the tower, my exposure was variable in both level and with regard to duration and which areas of my body got exposed. The delay in harm was often in the order of hours (up to 6 or 12), but would persist for hours are well (12-24 mostly but 3 weeks in one case.

One symptom, the pain in a neuroma in my side, only took 5 minutes but I had to be in a spot where there was a combination of direct emf with two reflections. Afterward, both my meter and the Telco's test showed the emfs to be high at that spot.

The symptoms varied according to the history of exposure. It seems the emf "sensitizes" a person in various ways. If the results were predictable and repeatable then scientists would have just done the tests. I will contact some of the more notable ones to ask why they have not done such tests, and see if I could volunteer (assuming I get repeatable results).
Old 5th August 2020, 02:02 AM   #2097
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

I'm still struggling to understand your protocol, especially the monitoring of the meter, and I urge you again to specify it in detail, step by step. Nothing is so obvious that it doesn't need to be spelled out, there must be no ambiguity whatsoever. If you do this you will not only allow others to (productively) nit pick, you may also see some potential pitfalls yourself.

The maximum interaction you can have with your wife during each trial really is zero. Even banging on the wall is problematic, there may be subtly different ways in which she knocks that your subconscious can pick up on. A fixed time schedule you both work to is better.

There are obviously limits to the rigour possible in an informal test, but whatever sloppiness can be eliminated should be. You don't want to realise the precaution you should have taken and didn't only when you repeat the test under the eyes of CfIIG.

The meter will be put in another room on a table, and a video recorder monitoring the level on the meter. Afterwards, I can check that the power level did not suddenly drop during the test run of 15 minutes. I set everything up and then confirm with the meter. Then my wife does her turn off or no action while I am not around.

I thought about the interaction with my wife. I am going to buy a door bell operated by a remote. The sound bears no relation to the length or pressure of the push.

I thought about the fixed time schedule and maybe that might work but it consumes time and resources.
Old 5th August 2020, 02:11 AM   #2098
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

/derail
Interesting.
Because naming it Hansal would be too personal and not familial enough? Just guessing.
Old 5th August 2020, 02:47 AM   #2099
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I suppose I could tell what the level is by the progression of the pain...

No, because you are trying to find out whether the pain is caused by the signal.

The symptoms varied according to the history of exposure. It seems the emf "sensitizes" a person in various ways. If the results were predictable and repeatable then scientists would have just done the tests. I will contact some of the more notable ones to ask why they have not done such tests, and see if I could volunteer (assuming I get repeatable results).

Idiopathic environmental intolerance attributed to electromagnetic fields (formerly 'electromagnetic hypersensitivity'): An updated systematic review of provocation studies

Quote:
An extensive literature search identified 15 new experiments. Including studies reported in our earlier review, 46 blind or double-blind provocation studies in all...

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 04:03 AM   #2100
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I am taking a break from shed construction otherwise I would just pass some of these by.
Of course I have no evidence. These are speculations. How correct are they? Well, one needs to look at who has motive, and who has the capability. And is my speculation consistent with the type of behavior I encountered.
Speculation founded upon paranoia is.....speculation founded upon paranoia. Nothing more.

I had to reset my password because the one I was using no longer worked. When I got my new password I then saw when my password was changed.
Which is still not evidence you were hacked. Do you have any evidence at all?

I was irritated but did not take records so that I provide this thread with proof.
Not the point at all. You insisted that you were hacked by the telecom companies, in order to sabotage your court case. The fate of the case, and your health, and the health of the entire human population (if your claims are to be believed) were involved. And all you were was 'irritated', and you appear to have done absolutely nothing about it. Proving your point to this forum is trivial compared with this. Once again: did you contact the email provider with your accusations? Did you report the hacking to the court?

Do you trust Big Corporates absolutely. Or are you skeptical of their morality?
Standard conspiracy theorist strawman.
Asking for evidence is not a sign of naivety or blind trust of 'Big Corporates'.
Hiding behind sweeping generalisations is not a substitute for providing evidence for your claims.

NSA. Despite my capability I have a few things that I know I must be careful with. One is arithmetic. There are the odd occasion where I add 2 and 2 and get 2. In one Uni exam I finished early and then spent 20 minutes finding the arithmetic mistake indicated by the cross check. I had to write the steps out line by line to find out. (Actually -2 x -2 = +2).

And then you keep forgetting that my 2020 brain is not the same as my pre-2010 brain. My dyslexia which was always there but I compensated for is now very annoying.
You can't simultaneously claim near superhuman abilities ("impossible score", super-genius level IQ, master of martial arts, direct communication with God etc.), plus dismissing any possibility that you could make a mistake, and then try to milk sympathy for your mistakes by playing the victim of some convenient condition.
Not buying it.

I just had no idea they were so incredibly paranoid and detailed.
You can't use your ignorance of the world to justify your claims, I'm afraid.

Again with totally unsubstantiated personal attack to end your post. It seems to be a virus of sorts that has infected a number of posters on this thread.
"Totally unsubstantiated"? Really?
You have twice admitted to trying to pervert the course of justice.
You have been caught out several times telling obvious, provable lies.
Your blatant anti-semitism is also an insult to morality.

God would not be happy with you.
If he existed. Not going to lose any sleep on that one.

Your after-life moral score would be a problem. You will not be able to use your "debating" skills there. The judgement is instantaneous and accurate - unlike human justice.
Why? Because I don't lie? Because I don't hate the Jews? Because I don't want 60% of humanity to die? Because I don't try to nobble the courts? It isn't me who should be worried about divine justice- it's you.

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 04:11 AM   #2101
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

The meter will be put in another room on a table, and a video recorder monitoring the level on the meter. Afterwards, I can check that the power level did not suddenly drop during the test run of 15 minutes. I set everything up and then confirm with the meter. Then my wife does her turn off or no action while I am not around.

I thought about the interaction with my wife. I am going to buy a door bell operated by a remote. The sound bears no relation to the length or pressure of the push.

I thought about the fixed time schedule and maybe that might work but it consumes time and resources.
Presumably, you make your call, according to your pain level, as to whether the modem was on or off before you check the video of the meter? If so, then, hypothetically, if you find the power level had dropped below the threshold you had determined necessary to produce an effect during a test run in which you had pronounced the modem "on," as determined by onset of a headache or whatever...what result do you record?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 04:55 AM   #2102
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Interesting.

Because naming it Hansal would be too personal and not familial enough? Just guessing.
Huh?
Either you're missing the obvious scatological humor (pedestrian I know) or you're off on an unknown tangent. Clarify please. Thx.

Btw... and how the hell does -2 x -2 = 2 ?

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 5th August 2020 at 05:03 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 05:05 AM   #2103
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Presumably, you make your call, according to your pain level, as to whether the modem was on or off before you check the video of the meter? If so, then, hypothetically, if you find the power level had dropped below the threshold you had determined necessary to produce an effect during a test run in which you had pronounced the modem "on," as determined by onset of a headache or whatever...what result do you record?
I raised this before, pointing out that it should be someone else who reviews the video and determines whether the minimum level was reached. That's a potentially subjective judgement, so obviously should not be made by someone who even knows what PartSkeptic has decided, let alone PartSkeptic himself. He did not respond, but I had hoped he had taken it on board. Apparently not.
Old 5th August 2020, 06:29 AM   #2104
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I raised this before, pointing out that it should be someone else who reviews the video and determines whether the minimum level was reached. That's a potentially subjective judgement, so obviously should not be made by someone who even knows what PartSkeptic has decided, let alone PartSkeptic himself. He did not respond, but I had hoped he had taken it on board. Apparently not.
Stunning you still think this will rise to dowser levels of integrity.

Old 5th August 2020, 08:55 AM   #2105
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

I was told that it was impossible to get 50 questions right in 15 minutes. Now, that does not mean an impossibly high IQ. It means that the test designers thought it impossible. ie an open ended test. I have no idea how they rated that to IQ.
I think we've exhausted the silly IQ test story, so I'm just going to make one last point.

I'm willing to accept that you misremembered what you were told that it was impossible to score 50/50 in this test and that you actually believed that you scored a supposedly therefore impossible score.

However, you went to the trouble in the past few days of actually typing out the questions and answers for us and uploading them to a sharing website so we could download it and try it for ourselves.

Given that you consider yourself to have exceptionally high intelligence, did it not occur to you while typing up the test that this wasn't an intelligence test that a score of 50/50 would be impossible? It should have been patently obvious that anyone of moderate intelligence could score full marks or close to full marks in 15 minutes. None of the questions were remotely taxing at all. It's confusing to me how someone with the exceptional intelligence you claim to have wouldn't have realised how easy the test actually was while you were typing it up for us.

I think this belies that you haven't merely misremembered what you were told about the test, but that you genuinely have a very overblown idea of how intelligent you are such that you actually thought scoring 50/50 in that test was a sign of exceptional intelligence.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 11:25 AM   #2106
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I think we've exhausted the silly IQ test story, so I'm just going to make one last point.

I'm willing to accept that you misremembered what you were told that it was impossible to score 50/50 in this test and that you actually believed that you scored a supposedly therefore impossible score.

However, you went to the trouble in the past few days of actually typing out the questions and answers for us and uploading them to a sharing website so we could download it and try it for ourselves.

Given that you consider yourself to have exceptionally high intelligence, did it not occur to you while typing up the test that this wasn't an intelligence test that a score of 50/50 would be impossible? It should have been patently obvious that anyone of moderate intelligence could score full marks or close to full marks in 15 minutes. None of the questions were remotely taxing at all. It's confusing to me how someone with the exceptional intelligence you claim to have wouldn't have realised how easy the test actually was while you were typing it up for us.

I think this belies that you haven't merely misremembered what you were told about the test, but that you genuinely have a very overblown idea of how intelligent you are such that you actually thought scoring 50/50 in that test was a sign of exceptional intelligence.

Your post is well written and logical. I will respond.

If you read my posts you will see that I said that when I looked at the test after finding it, it was my first impression that it was easy. All the word questions took a matter of seconds. Almost as quick as reading them. So did most of the series questions.

There was only one I had to think about.
72, 36, 40, 20, 24, 12. It was clear that there were 3 pairs. The 2nd of each pair was 1/2 of the first. The 2nd pair started with 4 more than the last of the preceding pair, and so with the 3rd pair. However, the difference between the start of the 2nd pair from the start of the 1st pair is 32 and the difference between the start of the 3rd pair from the start of the 2nd pair is 16. One could say that the 4th pair difference would be half of 16 (32,16,8). However, that gives the same answer as adding 4s.

At the time, I was under pressure to get a job in order to emigrate. I was determined to not make mistakes and so was very careful. I skipped any question that I had some question about the answer, and came back to those. I now see that had I just zipped through casually I should finished all 50 correctly in a short time.

But I had no way of knowing what the balance of speed versus accuracy was. I did not want to say it was actually very easy before hand. So I fudged and wanted people to do the test and be honest about their results.

So it comes down to what I was told, and how I remembered it. If I got 48 or 49 I would not be able to claim to have gotten 50/50.

Could I get much higher in tests that challenge me? Not now. My sight is not good because my retinas are scarred and so are my corneas and my muscles have been damaged so my left horizontal is quite different my my right horizontal. My comprehension has dropped a lot. My short term memory is so bad, that I memorized the part number CS-1840 and walked inside and wrote CS-3840 (I just made 4 corrections to the last 10 words on a re-read). I have to proof-read my posts about 5 times to eliminate errors and even then I miss a few of them.

I keep stressing that while I retain quite a lot of intelligence, and also my long term memory is still fairly good, and that I still operate well above average, there are times I make silly mistakes and consider my brain function to be suspect. I now know how the average person functions. This is not facetious - I used to think every thought like me.

There should be no reason to continually tell me (ad nauseam) that I am incompetent and stupid and everything I say is full of mistakes.

If I take it slow and check and recheck I am quite capable of troubleshooting equipment and debating. I wrote down many of my life anecdotes years ago, and had finished a lot of writing before my steep decline this last 2 years (due to damage from mobile cell emfs mostly in my opinion).

At my peak in life, I solved some very challenging technical problems with practical and highly successful solutions. I have done the same in some other disciplines. I used to have a near perfect memory and remember the first time I made mistake in solving an equation. I was 38. It has been a steady decline since then.

What amazes me is the scorn that discussing intelligence causes. Why? The brain is incredible with it's memory capacity and it's reasoning ability. I happen to have one that was rather unique. It should be reason to celebrate the possibilities of life if we humans could work together and not be so selfish.

But we all have strengths and weaknesses. I was not very street smart when younger, and had no idea about women. I was incredibly naive and did not understand why people would lie. Even to get out of trouble. I avoided getting punished severely for doing wrong - by just admitting it. The person I had to account to could not believe I was being honest, and they let me off. I think they figured they could not punish someone so dumb.

In the last decade, I have had learn first hand about how devious and immoral and evil people can be. And society focuses on MeFirst. In 1992, I passed a gardener in a small village in Cape Town. He was an old greying man digging up one weed at a time. The family he worked for probably gave him food and lodging plus pay. Many good people I know would give such workers a pension and also take care of problems and illness. He stopped and so did I. We looked at each other and then at the garden. We nodded to each other - a silent exchange. He was content.

Some would call him a slave and encourage him to be unsatisfied and rebel. But we all have a part to play in life. We cannot all be president of the country. Is it better to have anarchy and suffering as billions eke out a horrendous living in informal mines or garbage dumps - or have some order?

I do not mind doing what he was doing - and there have been times I have done so. But I was destined (cursed?) to have to push myself and work long hard hours to get ahead and make society a better place. My efforts should benefit all.

BTW - And here is my wife listening to a podcast about the human condition - competition and primal instincts derived from hormones in the evolutionary race (Jeremy Griffith).
Old 5th August 2020, 11:42 AM   #2107
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Briefly, a number of commitments came my way today. But I went to do the first four tests. It was 3 pm and I had only taken 1 pain tablet at 7am. I was rather tired but determined to get set up and at least do one test.

I said to my wife that I was tired and I would only do one test. The modem was on and I asked her to wait for me to measure the emf. The modem was very low (less than 20) and I asked her to turn it off. Her phone was on the side and gave short intervals with a single peak or two. However, her office was showing high levels of emfs (above the 2,000 max scale). From unusual places such as 2/3 up a wall. Reflections, probably.

This was very different from the day I did the proof of concept where I checked various devices and scanned the room. In the 5-10 minutes there, I got a headache. I gave up in disgust and went home.

The next two days I have a worker coming to help me with projects. It may only be next week I can find a place with a medium to high modem output and also have a low ambient emf. And have my wife help. Sorry. Circumstances beyond my control.
Old 5th August 2020, 12:09 PM   #2108
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

At least in the meantime you'll have plenty of time to post your detailed test protocol, and address the concerns that have been raised.

Hello? Is this thing on?
Old 5th August 2020, 12:27 PM   #2109
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

If you read my posts you will see that I said that when I looked at the test after finding it, it was my first impression that it was easy. All the word questions took a matter of seconds. Almost as quick as reading them. So did most of the series questions.

72, 36, 40, 20, 24, 12. It was clear that there were 3 pairs. The 2nd of each pair was 1/2 of the first. The 2nd pair started with 4 more than the last of the preceding pair, and so with the 3rd pair. However, the difference between the start of the 2nd pair from the start of the 1st pair is 32 and the difference between the start of the 3rd pair from the start of the 2nd pair is 16. One could say that the 4th pair difference would be half of 16 (32,16,8). However, that gives the same answer as adding 4s.

At the time, I was under pressure to get a job in order to emigrate. I was determined to not make mistakes and so was very careful. I skipped any question that I had some question about the answer, and came back to those. I now see that had I just zipped through casually I should finished all 50 correctly in a short time.

But I had no way of knowing what the balance of speed versus accuracy was. I did not want to say it was actually very easy before hand. So I fudged and wanted people to do the test and be honest about their results.

So it comes down to what I was told, and how I remembered it. If I got 48 or 49 I would not be able to claim to have gotten 50/50.

Could I get much higher in tests that challenge me? Not now. My sight is not good because my retinas are scarred and so are my corneas and my muscles have been damaged so my left horizontal is quite different my my right horizontal. My comprehension has dropped a lot. My short term memory is so bad, that I memorized the part number CS-1840 and walked inside and wrote CS-3840 (I just made 4 corrections to the last 10 words on a re-read). I have to proof-read my posts about 5 times to eliminate errors and even then I miss a few of them.

I keep stressing that while I retain quite a lot of intelligence, and also my long term memory is still fairly good, and that I still operate well above average, there are times I make silly mistakes and consider my brain function to be suspect. I now know how the average person functions. This is not facetious - I used to think every thought like me.

There should be no reason to continually tell me (ad nauseam) that I am incompetent and stupid and everything I say is full of mistakes.

If I take it slow and check and recheck I am quite capable of troubleshooting equipment and debating. I wrote down many of my life anecdotes years ago, and had finished a lot of writing before my steep decline this last 2 years (due to damage from mobile cell emfs mostly in my opinion).

At my peak in life, I solved some very challenging technical problems with practical and highly successful solutions. I have done the same in some other disciplines. I used to have a near perfect memory and remember the first time I made mistake in solving an equation. I was 38. It has been a steady decline since then.

What amazes me is the scorn that discussing intelligence causes. Why? The brain is incredible with it's memory capacity and it's reasoning ability. I happen to have one that was rather unique. It should be reason to celebrate the possibilities of life if we humans could work together and not be so selfish.

But we all have strengths and weaknesses. I was not very street smart when younger, and had no idea about women. I was incredibly naive and did not understand why people would lie. Even to get out of trouble. I avoided getting punished severely for doing wrong - by just admitting it. The person I had to account to could not believe I was being honest, and they let me off. I think they figured they could not punish someone so dumb.

In the last decade, I have had learn first hand about how devious and immoral and evil people can be. And society focuses on MeFirst. In 1992, I passed a gardener in a small village in Cape Town. He was an old greying man digging up one weed at a time. The family he worked for probably gave him food and lodging plus pay. Many good people I know would give such workers a pension and also take care of problems and illness. He stopped and so did I. We looked at each other and then at the garden. We nodded to each other - a silent exchange. He was content.

Some would call him a slave and encourage him to be unsatisfied and rebel. But we all have a part to play in life. We cannot all be president of the country. Is it better to have anarchy and suffering as billions eke out a horrendous living in informal mines or garbage dumps - or have some order?

I do not mind doing what he was doing - and there have been times I have done so. But I was destined (cursed?) to have to push myself and work long hard hours to get ahead and make society a better place. My efforts should benefit all.

BTW - And here is my wife listening to a podcast about the human condition - competition and primal instincts derived from hormones in the evolutionary race (Jeremy Griffith).
"Thank you Mr. President... but I asked how you spell the word 'coffee'".

Old 5th August 2020, 12:55 PM   #2110
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

At least in the meantime you'll have plenty of time to post your detailed test protocol, and address the concerns that have been raised.

Hello? Is this thing on?
Something isn't.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 12:59 PM   #2111
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Okay. Gmail.

I clear my computer using CCleaner. No problem. Still lets me right in.

Cleared my computer with History> Clear Recent History. It then requires a full sign in. But the password does not change.
That's what is supposed to happen. Had you a point to make?

Old 5th August 2020, 01:16 PM   #2112
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Briefly, a number of commitments came my way today. But I went to do the first four tests. It was 3 pm and I had only taken 1 pain tablet at 7am. I was rather tired but determined to get set up and at least do one test.

I said to my wife that I was tired and I would only do one test. The modem was on and I asked her to wait for me to measure the emf.

If you’re going to be the test subject, you shouldn’t be measuring the emf.

Old 5th August 2020, 01:27 PM   #2113
p0lka
Illuminator

/derail
I call everything that vacuum cleans my floor a hoover, I guess it's an example of extremely successful marketing.

Some might be hotter than others though, that's cool.

Last edited by p0lka; 5th August 2020 at 02:17 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 02:09 PM   #2114
p0lka
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post

Breathe slowly
He aint trump.
ahh...and out.......................

Last edited by p0lka; 5th August 2020 at 02:19 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 02:31 PM   #2115
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

What amazes me is the scorn that discussing intelligence causes. Why?
Your discussion of intelligence results in scorn because your claim to superior intelligence is still a bludgeon you use commonly to respond to your critics. On the one hand, the claims are demonstrably untrue -- you can't demonstrate the degree of intelligence you claim. On the other -- and far more important -- hand, being really really smart doesn't overcome errors in logic or fact that you make. Your argument is both false and inapplicable. It also has the side effect of suggesting your critics are inferior to you, which then makes the debate unnecessarily personal.

All these problems would go away for you if you stopped basing your arguments on irrelevant claims to expertise and intelligence.
Old 5th August 2020, 02:37 PM   #2116
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I call everything that vacuum cleans my floor a hoover, I guess it's an example of extremely successful marketing.

If your vacuum cleaner is hot to you, you either have an electrical problem or a Freudian problem. I leave the decision in your hands, as it were.

Old 5th August 2020, 02:49 PM   #2117
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

And there are plenty. It seems we've tossed out the binomial statistical model. Headache pain is no longer an either-or thing, but is now going to be allowed to vary in intensity. That brings up the whole issue of pain quantification. Medical science still has little practical methodology for measuring pain. So it's all going to be self-reported, and even rigorous medical research suffers from this instability.

And we've accepted that the equipment creates electromagnetic field energy in different intensities. I think we've controlled for distance and other attenuating effects -- or at least that's what I recall. If the equipment and the subject are in the same relative positions, along with possible absorbers and reflectors, then we'll be rigorous enough. But how many power levels are we considering? Many such devices alternate among discrete power settings, but the actual power emission can fundamentally vary on a continuous scale.

Setting a threshold above which the test is considered probative is highly problematic. Your entire result depends on where you set that arbitrary point, and your validity rests entirely on why. Trying to categorize or discretize a continuous variable into a false category or false binary is throwing away exactly the information that would make the test more reliable. We need a new statistical model.

So if you quantify pain on, say, a 5-point scale, and you gather the measured signal strength, and you don't throw out any trials on the grounds of allegedly insufficient signal, then you can apply a t-test for significance. Or even a simple Pearson's r. But you may need more than n=10 trials to get past p < 0.05.

Lest anyone wonder, this is the error Thiokol made when presenting temperature data to NASA in support of their claim that it was unsafe to launch Challenger. They considered only the data that had been precategorized according to a criterion that seemed reasonable at the time, but which ended up throwing out the information they most needed. As a result, the data they presented didn't back up their claim. All the historical data regarding temperature and SRB joint damage, did. It's easy to get this stuff wrong. And sometimes it's a matter of life and death to get it right.

So if pain is a continuous variable and power level is a continuous variable, then we will treat the problem as a continuous distribution in both cases, and no trials may be rejected on the basis of power level. From now on, "off" is just another power level.

Quote:
Hello? Is this thing on?
Dunno, does your head hurt?
Old 5th August 2020, 02:59 PM   #2118
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

The EU (IIRC) trademark holders tried to get vape wire suppliers to stop using the name 5 or 6 years ago. No luck. I made the same joke then as a possible reason why. I didn't say it was a funny joke.
The wire chemistry is out of patent so everybody makes it... they just wish they were the vendors of all the stock labeled with their branding.
Come to think of it... EU law may have done something about it and I just never heard or cared.

Quote:
re: wire? Or is this a funny I'm not getting (I think I've established a history there).
Kanthal doesn't increase resistance as it heats which is how e-cig temp control works. It's not a feature you want in your toaster or hairdryer so no problems there.

It's stupud cheap but if you run out, you run out. And folks have scavenged broken toasters etc. for DIY e-cig coil wire. Works a treat, I'm told.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 5th August 2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 5th August 2020, 03:26 PM   #2119
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

edit: For the record, I consider myself a reasonably intelligent fellow, but my short term memory, my attention span and ability to focus on tasks is currently shot to ribbons because of my current depression. My job involves having to keep multiple tasks in my head at the same time at work so I've taken keeping a notebook and pencil with me at all times so when I'm asked to do something, I add it to my list of current tasks so I don't forget what it is I'm meant to be doing. I didn't used to be like this but I find it necessary now to actively write down things I need to remember, even simple things like writing down on my fridge planner to take my psychiatric medications, because otherwise I'd forget some days.

You might get more traction if you didn't swell out your posts with anecdotes and tangents that don't seem to be obviously relevant to the point at hand.

I was merely pointing out that someone with the exceptional intelligence you claim to have should have noticed when typing up the test for us to try for ourselves should have noticed that it was obviously neither an IQ test, nor a test where 50/50 was some sort of "impossible score".

Your post seems to be just rambling to be honest. Try to stick the point without inserting in all these pointless anecdotes that go nowhere and don't seem to prove anything.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 5th August 2020 at 03:31 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 03:34 PM   #2120
p0lka
Illuminator

The EU (IIRC) trademark holders tried to get vape wire suppliers to stop using the name 5 or 6 years ago. No luck. I made the same joke then as a possible reason why. I didn't say it was a funny joke.
The wire chemistry is out of patent so everybody makes it... they just wish they were the vendors of all the stock labeled with their branding.
Come to think of it... EU law may have done something about it and I just never heard or cared.

re: wire? Or is this a funny I'm not getting (I think I've established a history there).
Kanthal doesn't increase resistance as it heats which is how e-cig temp control works. It's not a feature you want in your toaster or hairdryer so no problems there.

It's stupud cheap but if you run out, you run out. And folks have scavenged broken toasters etc. for DIY e-cig coil wire. Works a treat, I'm told.
re the highlighted
It was a failed joke on my part, rather than you not getting the joke
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories