IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Closed Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:27 AM   #2561
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I am committed to delivering the prophecies of the Magic 8-Ball exactly as they appear, even though I may not personally agree with them.

I do not consult it every day. One must never irritate the controlling powers of the Magic 8-Ball. But about once a week is okay.

Today's question: "Magic 8-Ball, are those who profess belief in the predictive power of tarot cards sincere?"

Magic 8-Ball sez: "Reply hazy. Ask again later."
Now here's a nice recursive logic problem:

I just asked the Tarot cards for a yes/no answer to the question: should I trust the Magic 8 Ball? The Tarot gave a resounding "yes." Should I assume now that the Tarot is mystically tuned to quantum entanglement?

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:43 AM   #2562
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

My tea leaves say they're both wrong.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:45 AM   #2563
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Now here's a nice recursive logic problem:

I just asked the Tarot cards for a yes/no answer to the question: should I trust the Magic 8 Ball? The Tarot gave a resounding "yes." Should I assume now that the Tarot is mystically tuned to quantum entanglement?
The problem is your data base is too limited - you need more methods of divination.

Here is a list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_divination'

Pick fifty or sixty more and come up with an average.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 03:56 PM   #2564
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
My tea leaves say they're both wrong.
You must be drinking Earl Grey. Trustworthy man, that Grey.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 03:59 PM   #2565
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The problem is your data base is too limited - you need more methods of divination.

Here is a list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_divination

Pick fifty or sixty more and come up with an average.
'ol/dr *

You must be drinking Earl Grey. Trustworthy man, that Grey.
* oolong, didn’t read

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 05:12 PM   #2566
Spektator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
'ol/dr *

* oolong, didn’t read
If I knew how, I'd nominate this.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:51 AM   #2567
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

I have been quite ill lately. The downs among the ups. Seems like a virus on top of my usual pain and fatigue. Likely not Covid. I have been spraying my nose and throat with colloidal silver solution.

Covid has gotten quite real. SA now has its own strain of infectious Covid. Not the UK strain.

I listened to a cell phone message from a person whose family now has Covid. Quite sobering. The daughter and son-in-law of a friend of a family member went to dinner with two other couples two weeks ago. Four days later the wife of one couple phoned to say she had tested positive for Covid. Four days after the call the daughter and hr husband got Covid symptoms.

They quarantined themselves and tried to isolate from their eight-year old daughter. Did not help and she got it. Four days into the illness the wife called an ambulance at midnight because her husband was so ill. They said the hospital was full and the 2 ICU beds were being reserved for critical patients. They treated them and gave them advice.

Nearly two weeks and the husband is very ill. Fever, pain and cannot keep food or liquid down. Struggle to breathe. The wife is quite ill and so is their eight-year old. The next few days will be critical.

The son of the woman next door had Covid. Lost his sense of smell and taste for a while. Seems to have recovered. It looks like we will be canceling most plans to go on holiday or meet with friends. And then we will be extra careful.

Numbers. 2-4 billion dead in 4 or so years is about 1-2 million dead a day. Hard to imagine. But not impossible. Humans are not prepared.

Our Xmas tree is up and my wife's lovely 2 1/2 year old granddaughter helped. Screwed in the base screws. When I was a parent I took life for granted. Now I am amazed at the growth and learning of these little ones. She learns new words and facial expressions daily. Wanted something on the kitchen counter. No problem get the plastic double step to climb up.

For those who enjoy the Xmas holidays - best wishes.
Old 23rd December 2020, 05:10 AM   #2568
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post

Numbers. 2-4 billion dead in 4 or so years is about 1-2 million dead a day. Hard to imagine. But not impossible. Humans are not prepared.

You really are the spirit of Christmas personified, aren't you?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 06:09 AM   #2569
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Covid has gotten quite real.
What has it been up to now if not real? 1.7 million dead so far. Was that not "quite real"?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 06:46 AM   #2570
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Is that a prediction?

You've talked previously about a 60% death rate, but back in June when I suggested a figure of 78m (just 1%) dead in one year's time you wouldn't even commit to that.

I've decided to start a new list of your predictions. So far I have:

1. Biden dies before his inauguration on January 20th
2. 78m deaths due to the pandemic by 1st July 2021
3. At least 2 billion deaths due to the pandemic by Dec 31st 2024

Comments?
Old 23rd December 2020, 06:55 AM   #2571
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Is that a prediction?

You've talked previously about a 60% death rate, but back in June when I suggested a figure of 78m (just 1%) dead in one year's time you wouldn't even commit to that.

Comments?
If it happens it was a prediction if not it was just some random musings!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:33 AM   #2572
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

I have been quite ill lately....
There's only one thing I take away from this post, and that is: you are a poor excuse for a human being.

I'll not mention all the other pseudoscience you have alluded to in the past, or comment on the colloidal silver rubbish in the above post, that's not relevant now.

What gets me really angry is this:

1. You are freely associating with people outside your own household, when most sensible people in South Africa are in hard lockdown. You post details about a family getting infected and passing it on to their kid, and then you straight up admit that you are associating with your granddaughter who is definitely not living with you.

2. You say you may have to cancel "most of your holiday plans", and then state having to be "extra careful". So, you're still associating with others, and perhaps even travelling to other venues, and this even after admitting you're not feeling well. I'm surprised you even considered going on holiday in the first place.

It's people like you who are going to spread this damn virus - in total denial, not getting vaccinated, not locking down. You've said that you are already using oxygen and a CPAP, so obviously you are at higher risk than most people, yet you continue to be lax with precautions. Fine, you may have a death wish, but you obviously don't give a damn about others - are you trying to force your prediction of millions dead?

Seriously, you make me sick to my stomach.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:13 AM   #2573
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Covid has gotten quite real.
It's been real for the rest of us for a year. But while you're spinning anecdotes and reveling in the statistics of millions of deaths a day, I see no evidence that you yourself are taking it seriously. And that attitude among so many is why this is still a problem for the world.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 03:01 PM   #2574
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I have been quite ill lately. The downs among the ups. Seems like a virus on top of my usual pain and fatigue. Likely not Covid.
You have no way to know that, and given your irresponsible super-spreader behaviour, it is quite likely.

I have been spraying my nose and throat with colloidal silver solution.
Great. Add in some more superstitious nonsense, why not. That will make things better, right?

Covid has gotten quite real. SA now has its own strain of infectious Covid. Not the UK strain.
Covid has been real for over a year. Viruses mutate, news at eleven.

I listened to a cell phone message from a person whose family now has Covid. Quite sobering.
Since your behaviour makes you a likely vector, when are YOU going to sober up?

The daughter and son-in-law of a friend of a family member went to dinner with two other couples two weeks ago. Four days later the wife of one couple phoned to say she had tested positive for Covid. Four days after the call the daughter and hr husband got Covid symptoms.
How irresponsible of them.

They quarantined themselves and tried to isolate from their eight-year old daughter. Did not help and she got it. Four days into the illness the wife called an ambulance at midnight because her husband was so ill. They said the hospital was full and the 2 ICU beds were being reserved for critical patients. They treated them and gave them advice.

Nearly two weeks and the husband is very ill. Fever, pain and cannot keep food or liquid down. Struggle to breathe. The wife is quite ill and so is their eight-year old. The next few days will be critical.
They only have themselves to blame.

The son of the woman next door had Covid. Lost his sense of smell and taste for a while. Seems to have recovered. It looks like we will be canceling most plans to go on holiday or meet with friends. And then we will be extra careful.
You have had over a year to take precautions and you have declined to do so. I see no prospect that you will in the future.

Plenty are prepared. We just have to endure the lunatic fringe that refuses to do so and propagates the virus.

Our Xmas tree is up and my wife's lovely 2 1/2 year old granddaughter helped. Screwed in the base screws. When I was a parent I took life for granted. Now I am amazed at the growth and learning of these little ones. She learns new words and facial expressions daily. Wanted something on the kitchen counter. No problem get the plastic double step to climb up.
That is irresponsible. Such activities will spread the virus.

Normally, I spend Christmas Day with a large group. Two of those are heart-lung transplantees. Given that I directly interact with 400-500 strangers per week, there is no chance I am going anywhere near them this Christmas.

But that consideration would never occur to covid cranks.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 03:57 PM   #2575
EHocking
Philosopher

If I knew how, I'd nominate this.
Nominate button will be at the bottom of the post.
Opposite side to the quote/edit buttons

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite

Last edited by EHocking; 23rd December 2020 at 03:58 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 06:47 PM   #2576
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

I have been quite ill lately.
Well you asked for it, you pagan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Partskeptic.jpg (39.1 KB, 6 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th December 2020, 03:05 AM   #2577
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I posted this in another thread, and decided to also post it here because it's relevant to the "Prime Cause" discussion above.

Brian Cox did a programme for BBC Radio 3 just before Christmas which consisted of music interspersed with his musings on life, the universe and everything. He's always had a gift for explaining complex ideas understandably and he really outdoes himself here, especially when talking about what the latest cosmological theories and observations imply about whether the universe had a beginning.

I believe it's possible to listen to BBC radio shows anywhere in the world. It's here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qkl5

The timings are:

1.45 - 2.00 Cox: Brief introduction
2.00 - 11.15 Sibelius, Symphony no. 5 in E flat major Op.82 - 3rd Movement
11.15 - 24:40 Cox: What does it mean to live a small, fragile life in an infinite, possibly eternal universe?
24:40 - 31.00 Charles Ives, The Unanswered Question
31:00 - 47:50 Cox: The origin of the universe and complexity, the inflationary multiverse
47:50 - 1.13.00 Gustav Mahler, Symphony No.10 - 1st Movement

Note that the 5 photographs to which Cox refers are available on the programme's website.
Old 29th December 2020, 11:43 AM   #2578
Spektator

This week's Magic 8-Ball session:

I brewed a cup of ficus tea (associated with enlightenment), a candle infused with essence of roses (promoting tranquility), sat on a carpet with the Mystic Star of nine points embroidered on it, and with 8-Ball in hand, lit the candle, sipped the tea, spat it back into the cup because it was vile, and asked:

"Are tarot cards controlled by paranormal forces?"

And lo, the Magic 8-Ball did reply: "My sources say no."

Uncanny, though now I think I should have consulted it before buying that ******* tea.

Last edited by Spektator; 29th December 2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 31st December 2020, 12:39 AM   #2579
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Well you asked for it, you pagan!
I keep saying that mainstream religions need an update. Your post is one topic that needs it.
Old 31st December 2020, 01:13 AM   #2580
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Is that a prediction?

Comments?

I made it clear that #1 was not a prediction because it did not have Tarot card verification and nor was there a strong psychic indication. It is a personal musing based on a small fleeting intuition. I am not a machine spewing out predictions (that is, I am not an Eight Ball).

Take Muhammad camel's bet. He advised the betting man to increase the time from 5 to 10 years (within 10 years) and increase the bet from 10 camel to 100 camels. Predictions are imprecise. They see a singular event in broad terms. Your technique for dismissing any prediction is to insist on precision. Your technique is almost guaranteed to work.

My "prediction" is based on a general message that God will solve many world problems caused by overpopulation with a pandemic. No timing was given. No numbers were given. I have had to infer them. So these are not predictions. They are inferences I am making. I am also inferring the reasoning as to why God gave me the message. It is logical that there was a reason beyond just telling me. And hence the 10 years for me to accept spirit guidance. I accept I may be wrong but I am not a quitter and will need to be proved wrong (not possible as we all know).

How many people and how many years? A tough one. Now you take my 2 billion over 4 years as precise and then you average it to a million or so a day every day with immediate effect. (I am not going to do the precise math.)

Would you be satisfied with 1 billion over 10 years? God may be, if it achieved his aims of a more spiritual society that has changed its ways to reduce population fairly quickly but definitely reduce consumption and global warming drastically.

What is certain (if I am to believe that God gave me a message) is that life as we thought it would be, will not be. Humankind will not go back to the "old ways". A lot of this is not psychic but simple analysis of trends and science.

I say that science will lose the battle using vaccines. If not a Covid mutation then another virus. Wars, famine, and existing illnesses will take their toll.

Science is "playing God" with some of the DNA/RNA manipulation. I can see how it is supposed to work and it is very clever. BUT, there is the risk of unintended consequences. What if it overstimulates some immune systems, and what if those problems are amplified by cell phone emf? This is all guesswork on my part, but my concerns are not without scientific grounds.
Old 31st December 2020, 01:15 AM   #2581
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

I posted this in another thread, and decided to also post it here because it's relevant to the "Prime Cause" discussion above.

Brian Cox did a programme for BBC Radio 3 just before Christmas which consisted of music interspersed with his musings on life, the universe and everything. He's always had a gift for explaining complex ideas understandably and he really outdoes himself here, especially when talking about what the latest cosmological theories and observations imply about whether the universe had a beginning.

I believe it's possible to listen to BBC radio shows anywhere in the world. It's here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qkl5

The timings are:

1.45 - 2.00 Cox: Brief introduction
2.00 - 11.15 Sibelius, Symphony no. 5 in E flat major Op.82 - 3rd Movement
11.15 - 24:40 Cox: What does it mean to live a small, fragile life in an infinite, possibly eternal universe?
24:40 - 31.00 Charles Ives, The Unanswered Question
31:00 - 47:50 Cox: The origin of the universe and complexity, the inflationary multiverse
47:50 - 1.13.00 Gustav Mahler, Symphony No.10 - 1st Movement

Note that the 5 photographs to which Cox refers are available on the programme's website.

And the bottom line (or answer) is... ?

Why send me off on a mission of opinions worked into long winded programs to entertain the masses?
Old 31st December 2020, 01:32 AM   #2582
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
You really are the spirit of Christmas personified, aren't you?

Under the circumstances, one should make the most of special occasions. Not with commercial consumption but with appreciation for the spiritual side of life.

I see the joy in my wife's grandchildren as they play and think Father Xmas visited our house on Xmas eve.

Once more the weather defied the scientific predictions and we had an awesome day with hot swimming weather. The family takes precautions but we do have our own "bubble". One is a teacher and her children need looking after and need the stimulation of social interaction in a rationally secured environment. The other is a doctor on the frontline. Her child also needs the backup that Grandparents offer.

Personally, I have been to the factory 3 times this month (no others there) and to the hardware store 3 times. Decent mask, wash hands and keep my distance from others.

My wife's sister did not attend because she was fearful because of her weak health. SA is not in a Chinese style lock-down where everyone except essential workers are confined to their homes. That train has left the station, never to return. Balance is required, and I see extremists on both sides.

If, as I predict, there are large numbers ill and dying, then acute hospitalization is not possible. What is the solution? Why is no-one wanting to discuss this or even prepare for this? I am staying home if I get acutely sick. That way I do not stress the system or put others in harms way.
Old 31st December 2020, 01:46 AM   #2583
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I made it clear that #1 was not a prediction because it did not have Tarot card verification and nor was there a strong psychic indication. It is a personal musing based on a small fleeting intuition. I am not a machine spewing out predictions (that is, I am not an Eight Ball).

Take Muhammad camel's bet. He advised the betting man to increase the time from 5 to 10 years (within 10 years) and increase the bet from 10 camel to 100 camels. Predictions are imprecise. They see a singular event in broad terms. Your technique for dismissing any prediction is to insist on precision. Your technique is almost guaranteed to work.

My "prediction" is based on a general message that God will solve many world problems caused by overpopulation with a pandemic. No timing was given. No numbers were given. I have had to infer them. So these are not predictions. They are inferences I am making. I am also inferring the reasoning as to why God gave me the message. It is logical that there was a reason beyond just telling me. And hence the 10 years for me to accept spirit guidance. I accept I may be wrong but I am not a quitter and will need to be proved wrong (not possible as we all know).

How many people and how many years? A tough one. Now you take my 2 billion over 4 years as precise and then you average it to a million or so a day every day with immediate effect. (I am not going to do the precise math.)

Would you be satisfied with 1 billion over 10 years? God may be, if it achieved his aims of a more spiritual society that has changed its ways to reduce population fairly quickly but definitely reduce consumption and global warming drastically.

What is certain (if I am to believe that God gave me a message) is that life as we thought it would be, will not be. Humankind will not go back to the "old ways". A lot of this is not psychic but simple analysis of trends and science.

I say that science will lose the battle using vaccines. If not a Covid mutation then another virus. Wars, famine, and existing illnesses will take their toll.

Science is "playing God" with some of the DNA/RNA manipulation. I can see how it is supposed to work and it is very clever. BUT, there is the risk of unintended consequences. What if it overstimulates some immune systems, and what if those problems are amplified by cell phone emf? This is all guesswork on my part, but my concerns are not without scientific grounds.
So in summary: No, I'm not going to make any precise predictions based on the information I claim comes directly from God, in order to ensure that nothing that actually transpires could ever be taken as evidence that that claim is not true. This of course also means that nothing that actually transpires could ever be taken as evidence that the claim is true, so everything I say can be dismissed without further consideration.

Thank you for playing, next claimant please.
Old 31st December 2020, 01:48 AM   #2584
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

And the bottom line (or answer) is... ?

Why send me off on a mission of opinions worked into long winded programs to entertain the masses?
Cox takes just 17 minutes to summarise some of the most complex and mind boggling ideas in cosmology, in words that most people should be able to understand. Are you seriously demanding that I summarise his summary in a couple of sentences? What on earth is the matter with you?
Old 31st December 2020, 03:58 AM   #2585
SteveAitch
Graduate Poster

Also "programs to entertain the masses"?

It was on Radio 3, a classical music station - not exactly a mass audience. Though it's my radio station of choice for most of the day.
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 08:51 AM   #2586
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Good. Unlike your other prophecies that I'm aware of, this one doesn't align with probabilities / prevailing wisdom.

I also have a prediction: When Biden is inaugurated, you'll try to weasel out by pointing back at the hedges you planted.

As for your claim that you don't lie and the counter claims that followed -- I was tempted to post in your defense, based on delusionality <> lying. But then I remembered...

You were crowing about your prediction that Trump would win the nomination in 2016. I pointed out that your prediction came at a time when he was the runaway favorite. And I listed the many primaries he had won at that point. You blithely denied that unambiguous reality.

Another example of you crowing over BS predictions, and denying reality when presented with non ambiguous debunking, can be seen here.

Fine, I'm willing to chalk those up to poor memory and/or delusion. But when you're presented with blatant, non-ambiguous facts that expose the predictions as absurdities, you deny reality. At that point, you're flat out lying.
What do I win?
Old 31st December 2020, 11:36 AM   #2587
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I asked you twice at the time to confirm whether this was an actual prediction and you didn't answer. You waited to disavow your "prediction" until it became clear it wasn't going to happen. That's a pretty good indication that you know you're faking it.

Quote:
My "prediction" is based on a general message that God will solve many world problems caused by overpopulation with a pandemic. No timing was given. No numbers were given. I have had to infer them. So these are not predictions.
So you have a vague "prophecy" which rises no higher than the common wisdom that humanity is likely to have periodic pandemics. There's no reason to involve a god in that. You're simply reading the historical tea leaves. And not very well, because you tried to style the "next" pandemic as similar to the AIDS crisis, which it very much was not. And your wildly inflated numbers have no basis either in gods or epidemiology. You're not even very good at faking being a prophet. You're just spewing crap out of your mouth, claiming to be special for it, and then whining like a child when asked to be accountable.

Quote:
Would you be satisfied with 1 billion over 10 years?
I'll be satisfied with a statistically testable prediction and nothing less. I don't care what your actual numbers are. What I care about is that you commit to something instead of waffling back and forth in such obvious ways to avoid a meaningful test of your claims.

Quote:
A lot of this is not psychic but simple analysis of trends and science.
Which is why we ask you specifically, at the time, whether you're going to commit to the specifics you give. Instead you avoid committing so that you have an easy excuse whe you fail. Just like every fake prophet and fortune-teller ever.

Quote:
Too vague and too obvious. Next contestant, please?

Quote:
Science is "playing God" with some of the DNA/RNA manipulation.
No. Understanding how molecular genetics works is not "playing God." It's employing sound principles of evidence and deduction to solve humanity's problems. Your solution is simply to build more buildings for everyone to go die in. That's the most callous, sick, twisted thing I can imagine.

Quote:
I can see how it is supposed to work and it is very clever.
No, you can't. You obviously read a bunch of the standard anti-science woo and thought that repeating it here would make you look smart. Again, you seem to think people can't tell where you're getting your information.

Quote:
...what if those problems are amplified by cell phone emf?
Yet another topic you can't discuss intelligently.

Quote:
This is all guesswork on my part, but my concerns are not without scientific grounds.
Yes, they really are without scientific grounds because you're obviously no scientist and you can't demonstrate you have a single clue in your head how any of the stuff you talk about actually works. You're an obvious fake. I and many others have tried to engage you on the topics you claim to be a genius about, but all you do is find excuses not to engage. It's clear you're aware you don't know what you're talking about, but you persist in blustery demands to be regarded as some universal genius.

You're not a genius. You're not a prophet. You're not a lawyer. You're not a scientist. You can't provide evidence for a single claim you make, ever. So your task now is to justify why you deserve further attention from thinking people.
Old 31st December 2020, 12:33 PM   #2588
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

My question would be- how, specifically, do you tell the difference? And how do you then present it so that other people can see the difference? Because as far as I can see, your "messages from god" are not anything at all that it would take a god to tell anybody, or you in particular to pass on.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:14 AM   #2589
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

For those who scorned my suggestion of colloidal silver spray in the nose and throat try this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7486059/
Sep 2020
Silver nanoparticles (AgNP) have been studied to possess antiviral properties and are presumed to inhibit SARS-CoV-2. Due to the need for an effective agent against SARS-CoV-2, we evaluated the antiviral effect of AgNPs. We evaluated a plethora of AgNPs of different sizes and concentration and observed that particles of diameter around 10 nm were effective in inhibiting extracellular SARS-CoV-2 at concentrations ranging between 1 and 10 ppm while cytotoxic effect was observed at concentrations of 20 ppm and above...

The elemental metal, Silver (Ag) has broad spectrum antimicrobial action against various bacteria, fungi and viruses. Due to their versatility, Ag nanoparticles (AgNP) have currently found their way as a microbicide for biological surfaces in various forms such as wound dressings, medical devices, deodorant sprays and fabrics
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:24 AM   #2590
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
My question would be- how, specifically, do you tell the difference? And how do you then present it so that other people can see the difference? Because as far as I can see, your "messages from god" are not anything at all that it would take a god to tell anybody, or you in particular to pass on.

Good question. I only got one specific message from God.

Other information I get by using the Tarot cards (mostly right but must be used with care), or with an unusual event. Then I have to "feel" that the info is correct. There are times I sense that I am not getting correct information. This is particularly true when I get info from a clairvoyant. I have often told them I do not feel they are correct. They keep trying until I feel the info is correct. And it is.

When my ex-mother-in-law died in hospital there was an unusual hole in the cloud cover with the sun shining through and the radio played "A Whiter Shade of Pale". That is how I knew the moment of death. Without the unusual cloud event I would not have been sure.

It is like my friend betting on the horses using insider info from the stable hands. Betting for a place (1st, 2nd or 3rd). Right enough of the time for him to make money. There are no sure bets in horse racing (the horse could die - lead poisoning in one case) or in predictions.
Old 3rd January 2021, 05:05 AM   #2591
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Remind us: what was that specific message again?

Other information I get by using the Tarot cards (mostly right but must be used with care),
You have yet to provide any examples of this claimed veracity.
'Used with care'- what does that mean, exactly? It sounds to me like an appeal to confirmation bias.

or with an unusual event.
Which, as we have seen, can be just about anything, whether unusual or not. Like, say, the sun shining through clouds.

Then I have to "feel" that the info is correct. There are times I sense that I am not getting correct information.
Confirmation bias. Pure and simple.

This is particularly true when I get info from a clairvoyant. I have often told them I do not feel they are correct. They keep trying until I feel the info is correct. And it is.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

They tell you something you don't agree with. If you don't agree with it it's wrong. So they aren't clairvoyant, then.
Then they keep changing the message until you agree with it. Then you think they have actual clairvoyant abilities.
Man, are you being played!

When my ex-mother-in-law died in hospital there was an unusual hole in the cloud cover with the sun shining through and the radio played "A Whiter Shade of Pale". That is how I knew the moment of death. Without the unusual cloud event I would not have been sure.

See how my amazing prediction about your thinking sunshine was an unusual event came true? Magic. (Not 8-ball. I prefer yarrow stalks. I don't even know what a yarrow is, but I'm confident that God speaks through dried plants. Because.)

Well, you wouldn't have known apart from asking the doctors, that is.
Was your late ex-mother-in-law an especially important person? It seems odd that God would choose to put on such a display for her, when so many other deaths pass without the heavenly fireworks and the accompanying soundtrack.
Did you confirm with those present at her passing that this was indeed the exact moment when it happened?
Also, are her family and friends OK with your using this private tragedy to advance your arguments on an internet forum?

It is like my friend betting on the horses using insider info from the stable hands. Betting for a place (1st, 2nd or 3rd). Right enough of the time for him to make money. There are no sure bets in horse racing (the horse could die - lead poisoning in one case) or in predictions.
So what's the point of predictions, then?

Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:12 PM   #2592
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

There are no sure bets in horse racing (the horse could die - lead poisoning in one case) or in predictions.
Nice try, but no. In horse racing, there is rarely lingering doubt or irreconcilable debate over which horse won. Yes, there are "photo finishes" to help decide the winner when the race is close, but that is based on objectively obtained information. Yes, there are pre-running and post-running disqualifications, but those according to evidence obtained and measured against rules that were agreed upon before the race. And if you have the proper documentation of your wager, and have fulfilled the contract that governs the wager, the track is legally bound to pay off your winnings. Thus there is a semblance of an objective measurement of a bettor's ability to guess the winner of a horse race at a rate better than chance.

Your "predictions" are entirely different. First, you won't agree to pinning down on what it means to win a race. Then you decide, after the fact, that races your horse lost don't count. And you demand the track pay off wagers you say you made, even when you can't supply the proper documentation.

The elaboration of your process and a recitation of the supposed difficulty in accurate prophecy literally do not matter. The only thing that would make you a prophet would be to demonstrate the ability, measured objectively, to predict the future at a rate statistically greater than chance guess. Unless you can do that, no one is obliged to listen to your excuses. Prophecy is exactly to rise above all the elements that make it hard to do, and to actually do it. Betting on the horses doesn't guarantee you'll make money at it. But at least there you konw when success has been achieved. You can't even give us that.

Last edited by JayUtah; 3rd January 2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 3rd January 2021, 01:23 PM   #2593
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Other information I get by using the Tarot cards (mostly right but must be used with care), or with an unusual event. Then I have to "feel" that the info is correct. There are times I sense that I am not getting correct information. This is particularly true when I get info from a clairvoyant. I have often told them I do not feel they are correct. They keep trying until I feel the info is correct. And it is.
This sounds an awful lot like you saying that your feelings not only determine whether a message was from god (or tarot) or just from "simple analysis of trends and science" (which anyone can do), but also whether the answer you get is correct or not. So not only is there no objective test for the source of the message, there isn't anything more objective than how you "feel" about a message to determine how right it is. Even facts can be shuffled so whatever actually happens can be be made to line up with how you predicted things would. If you're serious about this, I have to agree with CY- you're playing yourself.
Quote:
See, this sort of thing is why nobody takes you as seriously as you seem to take yourself- you "would not have been sure" about what? That she had died? The time she died? That the "cloud event" and the song was a sign? I mean, c'mon man- no one is obligated to take seriously a claim that isn't even intelligible- prophets who mumble their prophecies under their breath get no respect in any land.
Quote:
Well, I see Jay has already dealt with this silly analogy.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 3rd January 2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarify
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:07 PM   #2594
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
...Your "predictions" are entirely different. First, you won't agree to pinning down on what it means to win a race. Then you decide, after the fact, that races your horse lost don't count. And you demand the track pay off wagers you say you made, even when you can't supply the proper documentation.
In addition, he wins races betting on the prohibitive favorite and crows about it as if a long shot.
Old 4th January 2021, 11:59 PM   #2595
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

So much work to do and so much pain. I sleep a lot. I am trying to keep my time on the internet down.

But this one is too interesting to pass.

We have an infestation of flies, but I have had difficulty getting to the stores to buy fly traps and fly spray. So I was using up what we had and there was one last can of Mortein inside auto-dispensing spray. Both dispensers are not working (another project), so I am spraying the study (mosquitoes) and the kitchen (flies) by hand. I use about 5 squirts per room.

The last little bit of fluid in the can ran out about 5-6 weeks ago, so I expected it to stop spraying a long time ago. But it is like the Ever Ready bunny - it just keep going and sprays a good amount of liquid each day despite there being no liquid in the can for quite a few weeks now.

Strange but true. Explanations? Other than the supernatural!
Old 5th January 2021, 12:15 AM   #2596
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
(snip)

They tell you something you don't agree with. If you don't agree with it it's wrong. So they aren't clairvoyant, then.
Then they keep changing the message until you agree with it. Then you think they have actual clairvoyant abilities.
Man, are you being played!

(snip)

Psychics events to not come to me easily. Most of the time I need some sort of external input, often something I would not ordinarily think of. A clairvoyant is a connection to the spirit world so the chances that they will get some information is good, and often better that the Tarot.

Example. A legal matter was bothering me. Something seemed wrong. The clairvoyant suggested a number of things. I reject them. When she said that their was male who was not what he seemed that was undermining my efforts I recognized that she was talking about my ex-wife's brother.

Despite his statements that he hated the sister who was opposing us, it turned out later that he hated my ex-wife more, and was trying to get at both at the same time. The information enabled me to be careful and not share my strategy with him. That worked.

With regard to the clouds, the event could happen any time. It was however unusual to get a "hole" in the thick cloud cover so that the sun shine brightly down in a glowing pillar. This is the what people do not understand - that omens do not have to be extreme events such as a burning bush. They are events that have "significance" to a person tuned into such events, and able to connect them to something else of importance.

Scoff all you like. My life has been one of interest and luck. You call it correlation and I call it causation. Prove me wrong.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:23 AM   #2597
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

They are events that have "significance" to a person tuned into such events, and able to connect them to something else of importance.
The definition of subjective validation, and the reason it was necessary to invent the scientific method.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:27 AM   #2598
Susheel
Illuminator

... My life has been one of interest and luck. You call it correlation and I call it causation. Prove me wrong.
...So basically, no different from the lives of billions of others...

Last edited by Susheel; 5th January 2021 at 01:24 AM. Reason: used "lies" for "lives"
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:48 AM   #2599
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
...So basically, no different from the lies of billions of others...
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 04:58 AM   #2600
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

So much work to do and so much pain.

We have an infestation of flies,
Scoff all you like. My life has been one of interest and luck. Prove me wrong.
No need- you just did that yourself.
You're in constant pain, your relatives are scheming against you, and your house is infested with flies.
I'll be kind and venture that perhaps we have different definitions of luck.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories