ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags microscopes

Old 3rd April 2016, 11:19 AM   #81
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

And this monstrous creature:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06595.jpg (90.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06594.jpg (142.5 KB, 6 views)
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:06 PM   #82
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

This may be your new playmate - if not, similar: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/inde...ond/worms.html

Good hunting!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2016, 01:35 PM   #83
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Good site! Thanks.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2016, 10:17 AM   #84
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

https://youtu.be/syaTcr39Z1M
Vid of some cool worms from my bird bath. It is still in the single digits of centigrade outside so I'm surprised they are active.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:32 AM   #85
Dessi
Species Traitor

Some more microscope inspiration for you

Evaporating an alcoholic drink on a slide produces some really gorgeous crystals, almost like abstract art. If you get a few nice shots, you can put them up around your house and tell your friends, "yeah, I made that."
Old 28th May 2016, 09:35 AM   #86
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Birdbath teeming with Rotifers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotifer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06658.jpg (141.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by The Sparrow; 28th May 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 28th May 2016, 12:26 PM   #87
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Rotifers are really impressive little buggers!!! Can you up the magnification?

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2016, 12:27 PM   #88
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Samples from Micrographia:
http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol...l/bdel0100.htm

Wash this space!

Old 28th May 2016, 12:28 PM   #89
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Also, if you find amoeba or paramecia it is fun to watch vacuoles do their thing tossing out digested/unnecessary material...........

Wash this space!

Old 28th May 2016, 12:41 PM   #90
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Vacuoles on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEl4MNvvJLE

Wash this space!

Old 28th May 2016, 02:36 PM   #91
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Small idea about microtomes. I heard once that a crude but workable microtome could be created from a large nut and bolt, each with a matching fine thread. Back off the bolt until is is almost readily to fall off the nut, place the specimen in the hollow formed by the nut and bolt, add melted wax to embed the specimen and let the wax cool. Then, by gradually tightening the bolt to slightly extrude the wax/specimen, you can use a razor blade to slice off thin pieces which you can fix on a slide, stain them, and view them through the microscope.
Also, although it may seem obvious in retrospect: use a 4-40 thread, rather than a 1/4-20.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2016, 03:00 PM   #92
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

We homeschool, and to this day both kids say their favorite project was growing then stuff we swabbed off our own bodies and then looking at it under the microscope. Try swabbing your pets also
Old 28th May 2016, 08:57 PM   #93
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a freeze-frame I got of a video I took using a mini-cam for the computer. It's not exactly a microscope but enlarges enough to clearly see the groove in a vinyl record. I don't think it was more than $35 on Amazon. Whenever I do a science thing for the kids, somehow they always end up looking at their "owies". (It's helped me check out a few medical questions, myself.)

Conclusion: The human body, up close, can be at the same time very ugly and very beautiful.

I was reading at my picnic table and noticed this bee frequenting my radio. Turns out, the screw holes were just perfect for storing pollen. I watched for several tens of minutes as the bee stored and then sealed the hole. I thought it was fascinating to see a scene from Mysterious Island, from the outside.

Last edited by alfaniner; 28th May 2016 at 08:59 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2016, 06:26 AM   #94
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Dental plaque stained with iodine (and a few cheek cells thrown in for free)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06746.jpg (104.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 21st June 2016, 02:40 AM   #95
wobs
Graduate Poster

You should get a job at your local sewage works. They'd probably appreciate someone looking at their bugs to check how healthy they are.
Old 21st June 2016, 11:01 AM   #96
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
You should get a job at your local sewage works. They'd probably appreciate someone looking at their bugs to check how healthy they are.
Probably get intestinal problems a lot though!!!! Not worth it!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 22nd June 2016, 07:40 AM   #97
wobs
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Probably get intestinal problems a lot though!!!! Not worth it!!!!!
Never had problems when I visited sewage works.

Although other activated sludge plants are available.
Old 6th October 2017, 05:24 AM   #98
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

I bought another one!!!

Best for ever so slightly larger non transparent objects.

I love it. Been looking at leaves, insects, seashells, fossils.
There is a whole other universe in the 'tiny'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22196156_10156833779302468_3459223234297868878_n.jpg (70.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 6th October 2017, 05:25 AM   #99
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

When I 'retire' in 10 weeks, one of the things I want to do much more of is examine small natural things and draw them, in the spirit of 18th and 19th century naturalists.
Old 6th October 2017, 05:51 AM   #100
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=33W5I333C950V

Micrographia editions.............Just in case

Wash this space!

Old 6th October 2017, 05:53 AM   #101
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=33W5I333C950V

Micrographia editions.............Just in case
Great stuff!
Old 6th October 2017, 06:09 AM   #102
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I was fascinated with microscopy as a kid, and went through several of those typical “student” microscopes from Gilbert.
Looked at everything I could.
My mom worked at the time for a Catholic hospital, and she became friends with the nun who ran the lab. When the dear lady found out about my hobby, she gifted me with test tubes, slides, pipettes, and other goodies. One time, she sent me a sample of water with a note that said “look at this.”
I did, and the water was crawling with fascinating microbes.

It was holy water from the chapel font.....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:16 AM   #103
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I was fascinated with microscopy as a kid, and went through several of those typical “student” microscopes from Gilbert.
Looked at everything I could.
My mom worked at the time for a Catholic hospital, and she became friends with the nun who ran the lab. When the dear lady found out about my hobby, she gifted me with test tubes, slides, pipettes, and other goodies. One time, she sent me a sample of water with a note that said “look at this.”
I did, and the water was crawling with fascinating microbes.

It was holy water from the chapel font.....
They were holy microbes though.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:40 AM   #104
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
I bought another one!!!

Best for ever so slightly larger non transparent objects.

I love it. Been looking at leaves, insects, seashells, fossils.
There is a whole other universe in the 'tiny'
I have the exact same scope.
I use it on low power to help repair watches and assemble fine etched brass parts on model kits.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 07:54 AM   #105
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I have the exact same scope.
I use it on low power to help repair watches and assemble fine etched brass parts on model kits.
Right on!

I assume the threaded insert on the top of the base to the left is for auxilliary lighting?
Old 6th October 2017, 08:24 AM   #106
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
When I 'retire' in 10 weeks, one of the things I want to do much more of is examine small natural things and draw them, in the spirit of 18th and 19th century naturalists.
That's actually still a thing. There's a whole certification process and everything.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 09:37 AM   #107
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
That's actually still a thing. There's a whole certification process and everything.
Cool! Not that I want to become a professional.
Old 6th October 2017, 09:46 AM   #108
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What threaded 'thing'?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 10:03 AM   #109
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

As well as the stereo microscope I have an old Vickers microscope with a binocular head. I got it from an auction of lab equipment about twenty years ago, It came with an optional phase contrast condenser and some very nice zeiss oil immersion lenses in a nice little wooden case.
Old 6th October 2017, 10:56 AM   #110
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
As well as the stereo microscope I have an old Vickers microscope with a binocular head. I got it from an auction of lab equipment about twenty years ago, It came with an optional phase contrast condenser and some very nice zeiss oil immersion lenses in a nice little wooden case.
Ooooohh! Phase contrast is in my future somewhere
Old 10th October 2017, 04:47 PM   #111
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

So yesterday I harvested and identified 3 different kinds of lichen.
Under the category of holy crap science is awesome: there is a lichen that grows in the arctic regions that can live for over 8000 years. (that's THOUSAND!!!!)
Old 24th October 2017, 10:40 AM   #112
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In case you haven't found it, here's a link to the best amateur microscopy site on the web.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/

Hundreds of articles in the archive on every aspect of microscopy you can think of.
Invaluable info on fixing specimens, mounting, staining and sectioning etc.

Guides on setting up hardware, lighting techniques and photography.
Old 24th October 2017, 12:10 PM   #113
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Keep posting pictures!

Years ago there was a thread where someone who had just bought a microscope posted a heap of pictures. Anyone remember that? It was fascinating and educational. I'd love to see someone keep up the tradition.
Was it this thread I started?

Looking at getting a new one, as the old one won't run under Windows 10 (and probably 8).
Old 25th October 2017, 04:04 AM   #114
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BillC View Post

Looking at getting a new one, as the old one won't run under Windows 10 (and probably 8).
Do you see your scope/camera listed on this page? Micromanager's intended more for professional microscopes, but you never know.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:47 PM   #115
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Microscopy doesn't have to be expensive. There is a whole load of second hand lab equipment at extremely low prices on Ebay. Equivelent new would cost many hundreds or thousands.
A few examples today for less than two hundred pounds.

Fantastic Vickers Binocular head less than two hundred. Phase Contrast built in, Kohler lighting. Four objectives, 100x Oil Immersion down to 4x.

Watson Binocular less than a hundred, agin 100x oil immersion at the top magnification.

Smaller Vickers monocular (can be upgraded) thirty quid. Oil immersion condenser, Rotating stage. Needs a clean but a very good scope,

Lovely Nikon monocular (can be upgraded to binocular head) for sixty quid.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 25th October 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 27th October 2017, 07:39 PM   #116
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
No, a different one, but that one's cool too.
Old 2nd November 2017, 05:16 AM   #117
EHocking
Philosopher

Could someone ask for the thread title to be corrected please?

For the past 18 months all I’ve wanted to post is, “did you bring enough for everyone?”
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 02:53 PM   #118
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I just got a pretty decent if a bit beatup American Optical scope at a school tag sale, for something under two dollars (four bucks worth of clothing and a couple of items coming to 6). Two objectives in it, and a really nice high eyepoint eyepiece and a working illuminator. Unfortunately, like the last B&L student microscope I got a while ago, the ones with substage illumination tend to have hot spots that make photography difficult. You get more even illumination with a mirror, and although it's not the best scope in other ways, the best photomicrography scope I've got is a once-dirt-cheap but reasonably well made Lafayette one. It's still very difficult to get an even field and good focus, and I have to experiment a bit more with different objectives, but it sure is fun. It's also hard to get good focus with poor depth of field on top of poor optics, but there's hope.

Here's a quick and dirty shot with a Nikon DSLR, using a bodged-up adapter originally made for a Konica, with the Lafayette illuminated through the mirror, on an old Japanese slide that came with the microscope, claiming to be a piece of a fly's wing.

It's getting a bit cold to get stuff out of the pond, but I'm getting there.

flywing.jpg

Oh yes, and you can tell I did not bother to clean all the grunge out of the scope, which has been languishing for too long in dusty environments. And as you can see there's also still a hot spot, owing mostly to the uneven illumination of the lamp used. Way better than the others, though.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Last edited by bruto; 4th November 2017 at 02:57 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 03:02 PM   #119
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Hey, the price was right tought. Yes, sorry about the thread title.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:33 PM   #120
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

With substage illumination you need a proper condenser and iris to control the light and for best photographs you need to be able to focus the light onto the specimen which means Kohler Illumination which involves a condenser lens and iris on the lamp. You can improve it by getting rid of the current lamp and replacing it with a bright white LED and diffuse the light with frosted glass.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology