ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Graham Hancock , joe rogan , michael shermer , zahi hawass

Reply
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:02 PM   #81
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Hunter gatherers = primitive

&

Agricultural cities = advanced

Traditional historians have said, we began as hunter gatherers and evolved into agricultural centers...evidence is building to the contrary.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 02:47 AM   #82
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,118
I have not seen the debate because I generally do not think that debates are very interesting, except as a form of amusement. That Shermer did not do well, only tells me that Shermer is not good enough for real life debates, not that he is wrong, nor that Hancock is right.
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 03:28 AM   #83
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I have not seen the debate because I generally do not think that debates are very interesting, except as a form of amusement. That Shermer did not do well, only tells me that Shermer is not good enough for real life debates, not that he is wrong, nor that Hancock is right.
"Our leading skeptic sucks so bad he's agreeing with Hancock."

---

Okay grab your strap-on and get to work on Hancock's suppositions.

Like Shermer I found he and the bearded guy both well reasoned and well researched.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 03:58 AM   #84
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
KotA,
There's proof under some mud somewhere along the coast of the Mediterranean and/or Red Sea and/or Persian Gulf - probably difficult and expensive to prove; you're right about that.

But Hancock has been making whack-ass assertions for decades. Some of those would assuredly be rather easy to check out.

Why doesn't the Bad Archaeology community finance a little checking at Aksun, for instance. I mean... proving the Old Testament to be accurate, not to mention whatever miracles the Ark holds? I'd imagine we could bring Hancock instant fame and glory, all for a few thousand bucks.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 05:12 AM   #85
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
KotA,
There's proof under some mud somewhere along the coast of the Mediterranean and/or Red Sea and/or Persian Gulf - probably difficult and expensive to prove; you're right about that.

But Hancock has been making whack-ass assertions for decades. Some of those would assuredly be rather easy to check out.

Why doesn't the Bad Archaeology community finance a little checking at Aksun, for instance. I mean... proving the Old Testament to be accurate, not to mention whatever miracles the Ark holds? I'd imagine we could bring Hancock instant fame and glory, all for a few thousand bucks.
Hancock is a best selling author who's been on countless TV and radio shows. I think he's accomplished as much fame as he's ever gonna get. Glory is unachievable.

Whack-ass assertions, that I heard him abandon. He seems perfectly reasonable in that interview, which is what I thought this thread was about.

Did you watch it?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:38 AM   #86
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Hancock is a best selling author who's been on countless TV and radio shows. I think he's accomplished as much fame as he's ever gonna get. Glory is unachievable.

Whack-ass assertions, that I heard him abandon. He seems perfectly reasonable in that interview, which is what I thought this thread was about.

Did you watch it?
No, I didn't watch it and don't intend to. Shermer's not an archaeologist. And I don't have membership in The Organized Skeptic Movement (gee, I miss T'ai Chi) so he doesn't speak for me. I'm never surprised to see professional **** kickers win debates on YEC, Poltergeists, 911, Apollo Hoax, etc... All they do is argue; it's what they do.

Just curious... which of his whack-ass ideas have you seen him disavow or reverse? Aksun/Axun? I find no record of him ever retracting what is largely a Dan Brown adventure/travel tale. Yonaguni? Last I saw, that was all over his website, still.

Perhaps you could link us to some of his revised thinking? Did he give up on the Pyramids/Orion-Osiris nonsense? From everything I've seen he never quite junks a theory, just puts it away to take it out again in a few years.

The guy's a pseudo-pscientiest and pseudo-historian. His degrees are in the liberal arts, and he tells a good yarn, I'll grant you but he's made so many claims that he really fits the stopped clock syndrome. Nothing in hard evidence supports any of his nonsense. "Well, they could've felt all guilty and stuff and thus threw away all their pottery and metal" is about as valid as my theory (when I was eleven) that all of these various fertility statues from different cultures were really just prehistoric pornography.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:44 AM   #87
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No, I didn't watch it and don't intend to. ...
Okay, thank you have a nice day.

In the future, maybe review the media a thread is based on before chiming in?

Just a suggestion.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:45 AM   #88
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Hancock is a best selling author who's been on countless TV and radio shows. I think he's accomplished as much fame as he's ever gonna get.

<snip>
Ah, yes, the Silvia Browne Denial. "I'm already famous and have no use for a million dollars; why would I take the challenge."

Hancock ain't nearly so famous as you think (outside of Joe Rogan's fans and the sub-reddit sub-species), and not worth so much that he couldn't use the million bucks that comes with a Nobel Prize or the more-than-a-million in book sales if he can actually come up out of the basement in Axun with the farkin' Ark of the Covenant.

It sold books. By Hancock standards that equals "Mission accomplished. Let's move on and find some other snake oil to peddle."
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:47 AM   #89
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Okay, thank you have a nice day.

In the future, maybe review the media a thread is based on before chiming in?

Just a suggestion.
I file your suggestions with Hancock's "history". You want to sell Hancock's points, you recap them in your own words. Don't expect members to go to the tape. This is one of the standards of discussion around here.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:47 AM   #90
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Ah, yes, the Silvia Browne Denial. "I'm already famous and have no use for a million dollars; why would I take the challenge."

Hancock ain't nearly so famous as you think (outside of Joe Rogan's fans and the sub-reddit sub-species), and not worth so much that he couldn't use the million bucks that comes with a Nobel Prize or the more-than-a-million in book sales if he can actually come up out of the basement in Axun with the farkin' Ark of the Covenant.

It sold books. By Hancock standards that equals "Mission accomplished. Let's move on and find some other snake oil to peddle."
^Didn't do the reading/watching, so he's talking smack.^

In law class, he would not receive credit for this answer.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:49 AM   #91
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I file your suggestions with Hancock's "history". You want to sell Hancock's points, you recap them in your own words. Don't expect members to go to the tape. This is one of the standards of discussion around here.
Objection- Hearsay

The evidence is authenticated in the testimony provided in the record.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:50 AM   #92
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
^Didn't do the reading/watching, so he's talking smack.^

In law class, he would not receive credit for this answer.
You haven't taken any law classes, how would you know? Graham? Is that you? I'm beginning to wonder if you're actually familiar with Hancock. Is this someone you just stumbled across, looking for someone being a thorn in the side to "the skeptical leader"?

This pattern is familiar.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:00 AM   #93
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
*Fixed it below *

Last edited by King of the Americas; 23rd May 2017 at 07:04 AM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:03 AM   #94
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You haven't taken any law classes, how would you know? Graham? Is that you? I'm beginning to wonder if you're actually familiar with Hancock. Is this someone you just stumbled across, looking for someone being a thorn in the side to "the skeptical leader"?
Because I have sat in on 3 classes, two at one school and one at another, spoken to law professors about the responses given, and ask who gave complete and incomplete answers. You get to take as much time as you'd like to fully explain your answer and justification(s). The professor may or may not stop you, ask questions, or outright ridicule your answer. Depending on their style and your response, almost anything can happen.

But if you haven't done the reading, and you don't know the case history, your grade will reflect it, regardless of how long you filibustered.

I'm not Hancock. I'm someone who did their homework and showed up to class ready to discuss the issue.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
This pattern is familiar.
Right... I'm sure it looks backwards from that side.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:25 AM   #95
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Because I have sat in on 3 classes, two at one school and one at another, spoken to law professors about the responses given, and ask who gave complete and incomplete answers. You get to take as much time as you'd like to fully explain your answer and justification(s). The professor may or may not stop you, ask questions, or outright ridicule your answer. Depending on their style and your response, almost anything can happen.

But if you haven't done the reading, and you don't know the case history, your grade will reflect it, regardless of how long you filibustered.

I'm not Hancock. I'm someone who did their homework and showed up to class ready to discuss the issue.



Right... I'm sure it looks backwards from that side.
You audited three (3) whole classes??!! My God, does the Supreme Court know you're available?

I know the case history. I probably know it better than you do. You are concerned with a pop-entertainment debate. Take it to the Sports sub-forum.
I'm not investing three hours of my life in Woo Woo Radio Fight of the Week.

I'm concerned with what you think of this theory and/or the body of work of Hancock. There's no homework requirement here, perfesser. It's a discussion forum.

Hancock is a journalist with a Bachelor in Sociology. He's an entertaining writer, but full of crap. He's an EXPERT on his claims, not the actual history or archaeology of anything he writes on. Wasn't one of his books or articles based on him flying over a recently dredged port and deciding it looked like an ancient structure. Yeah, built 18 months earlier. (I may be confusing him with one of his brothers-in-crime, but I think it was Hancock.) He's a pseudo-archaeologist, pseudo-scientist and pseudo-historian. No one outside of his fellow woo peddlers has any respect for him. You seem to, but then again, you fit into that first category.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:29 AM   #96
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 17,527
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I wanna play my Coral Castle card, but I don't know how.
You mean this Coral Castle:
Quote:
Edward spent more than 28 years building the Coral Castle, refusing to allow anyone to view him while he worked. A few teenagers claimed to have witnessed his work, reporting that he had caused the blocks of coral to move like hydrogen balloons. The only tool that Leedskalnin spoke of using was a "perpetual motion holder".
That doesn't provide us with any meaningful information how he built it, so it's not pertinent to your claim. And it certainly doesn't prove your silly claim you'd need wheels or axles to build such a structure. Whereas the video I posted shows how Wally made his Stonehenge replica.
__________________
Founder of the group "The Truth about AnjezŽ Gonxhe Bojaxhiu aka Mother Teresa"

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:26 AM   #97
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Hunter gatherers = primitive

&

Agricultural cities = advanced

Traditional historians have said, we began as hunter gatherers and evolved into agricultural centers...evidence is building to the contrary.
+2 pun points for the bit on the end.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 03:56 PM   #98
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
You audited three (3) whole classes??!! My God, does the Supreme Court know you're available?

I know the case history. I probably know it better than you do. You are concerned with a pop-entertainment debate. Take it to the Sports sub-forum.
I'm not investing three hours of my life in Woo Woo Radio Fight of the Week.

I'm concerned with what you think of this theory and/or the body of work of Hancock. There's no homework requirement here, perfesser. It's a discussion forum.

Hancock is a journalist with a Bachelor in Sociology. He's an entertaining writer, but full of crap. He's an EXPERT on his claims, not the actual history or archaeology of anything he writes on. Wasn't one of his books or articles based on him flying over a recently dredged port and deciding it looked like an ancient structure. Yeah, built 18 months earlier. (I may be confusing him with one of his brothers-in-crime, but I think it was Hancock.) He's a pseudo-archaeologist, pseudo-scientist and pseudo-historian. No one outside of his fellow woo peddlers has any respect for him. You seem to, but then again, you fit into that first category.
I also have three classmates in law school, but I digress, I know what happens in class.

This thread is a discussion about the afore mentioned interview.

If you aren't going to do the work, you are wasting the rest of our time.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 04:05 PM   #99
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
You mean this Coral Castle:

That doesn't provide us with any meaningful information how he built it, so it's not pertinent to your claim. And it certainly doesn't prove your silly claim you'd need wheels or axles to build such a structure. Whereas the video I posted shows how Wally made his Stonehenge replica.
Yeah.

My joke was that no one ever 'saw' him lifting his stones. There's a story that some kids saw him floating a stone one night.

He claimed to have unlocked the mysteries of the ancients, and was beaten to reveal those secrets, which he never did.

Did your video show him placing the cap stones, or just righting the stones into a pit?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 07:00 AM   #100
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,118
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
"Our leading skeptic sucks so bad he's agreeing with Hancock."
I do not know about "leading skeptic". Media exposure is not as important to me as good arguments. And as I said, I expect Shermer could probably do better if it was not a realtime situation.

Quote:
Like Shermer I found he and the bearded guy both well reasoned and well researched.
Yes, it is easy to be persuaded in such situations. But face-to-face debates is a form of amusement, not conducive to critical thinking.

I have not seen anything in this thread that convinces me that it is worth reading any of Hancock's writings, and I am definitely never going to waste my time watching a debate.
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 07:10 AM   #101
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I do not know about "leading skeptic". Media exposure is not as important to me as good arguments. And as I said, I expect Shermer could probably do better if it was not a realtime situation.


Yes, it is easy to be persuaded in such situations. But face-to-face debates is a form of amusement, not conducive to critical thinking.

I have not seen anything in this thread that convinces me that it is worth reading any of Hancock's writings, and I am definitely never going to waste my time watching a debate.
They didn't bump into each other on the street and have an unprepared for conversation. Shermer is VERY familiar with this topic, Hancock's previous work, and was told well beforehand what the topic would be.

The Editor in Chief of the leading skeptic publication, and everyone here is tossing him under the bus, like so much sacrificial road pizza. Is he not a 'critical mind' capable of looking at evidence and drawing conclusions? Did he suddenly become hypnotized by magic and lose association with logic and reason??

Balderdash!

And you are here, in this thread, saying you don't need to waste your time watching a video, that we are here discussing?

Awesome, keep up the great work. Skepticism is hard.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 24th May 2017 at 07:13 AM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 08:13 AM   #102
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,118
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
They didn't bump into each other on the street and have an unprepared for conversation. Shermer is VERY familiar with this topic, Hancock's previous work, and was told well beforehand what the topic would be.
If your point is that this makes Hancock's position credible, you have not understood what I was telling you.

Quote:
The Editor in Chief of the leading skeptic publication, and everyone here is tossing him under the bus, like so much sacrificial road pizza. Is he not a 'critical mind' capable of looking at evidence and drawing conclusions? Did he suddenly become hypnotized by magic and lose association with logic and reason??
Nobody said that. He probably is better when writing in a magazine than meeting face-to-face with a crank.

Quote:
And you are here, in this thread, saying you don't need to waste your time watching a video, that we are here discussing?
I had never heard about Hancock before, and this thread has been enlightening.[/quote]

Quote:
Skepticism is hard.
Yes, especially if you set it up as something essentially unattainable for normal humans. I am as biased as anybody, but I pride myself in being receptive to well-reasoned arguments backed by evidence. The fact that Shermer has been floored by a crank archaeologist is not evidence of anything interesting.

Several years ago I saw a TV documentary about the Egyptian Sphinx where a guy tried rather unconvincingly to prove that the Sphinx was much older than the pyramids and the temple complex. I wonder if that was Hancock.
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 10:27 AM   #103
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
...I am as biased as anybody, but I pride myself in being receptive to well-reasoned arguments backed by evidence. ...
Then watch the interview...
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 10:33 AM   #104
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
The guy with the beard comes armed with hundreds of slides of data!
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:22 PM   #105
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,994
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
The guy with the beard comes armed with hundreds of slides of data!
And guys with beards come armed with hundreds of Bigfoot footprint casts!
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 03:25 PM   #106
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
And guys with beards come armed with hundreds of Bigfoot footprint casts!
*Yawn*
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:18 PM   #107
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 17,527
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Yeah.

My joke was that no one ever 'saw' him lifting his stones. There's a story that some kids saw him floating a stone one night.

He claimed to have unlocked the mysteries of the ancients, and was beaten to reveal those secrets, which he never did.

Did your video show him placing the cap stones, or just righting the stones into a pit?
No the video didn't show him placing the cap stone, but it gave the idea how he'd done it. See also this description of how the guys did it at MegaCo/07.
__________________
Founder of the group "The Truth about AnjezŽ Gonxhe Bojaxhiu aka Mother Teresa"

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:31 PM   #108
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 17,527
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
If your point is that this makes Hancock's position credible, you have not understood what I was telling you.


Nobody said that. He probably is better when writing in a magazine than meeting face-to-face with a crank.


I had never heard about Hancock before, and this thread has been enlightening.

Yes, especially if you set it up as something essentially unattainable for normal humans. I am as biased as anybody, but I pride myself in being receptive to well-reasoned arguments backed by evidence. The fact that Shermer has been floored by a crank archaeologist is not evidence of anything interesting.

Several years ago I saw a TV documentary about the Egyptian Sphinx where a guy tried rather unconvincingly to prove that the Sphinx was much older than the pyramids and the temple complex. I wonder if that was Hancock.[/quote]
That probably was his fellow crank Robert Bauval, who managed to trick the BBC in having him make a documentary about his "theories". Hancock and Bauval published a couple of books together. When I opened this thread, that documentary was my first association too. The documentary, IIRC, presented Bauval's "Orion Correlation Theory" that the three GIzah pyramids were aligned with the stars in the Belt of Orion, and his claim that the Sphinx was constructed around 10,000BC. A cool aspect (technologically seen) was that he had an Austrian (?) company made a small robot that crawled the small corridors in the Great Pyramid. Needless to say, he had not asked permission for this from Hawass and Hawass was rightly pissed off. The Austrians were not happy either when they found out they had been played by a crank. (all from memory).

One thing I always wondered about this Orion theory is whether the reconstruction how Orion's Belt looked around 10,000 BC took account of the proper motion of the stars. The proper motion of the three stars is modest, but it's in opposite directions and we're talking about 12,000 years,
__________________
Founder of the group "The Truth about AnjezŽ Gonxhe Bojaxhiu aka Mother Teresa"

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:56 PM   #109
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
No the video didn't show him placing the cap stone, but it gave the idea how he'd done it. See also this description of how the guys did it at MegaCo/07.
So, yes, I am familiar with some of these moving methods, and they are truly impressive. HOWEVER, there are several elements of the actual stone henge build that are missing from Wallington's videos...

Moving, sure. Raising, just levering and bracing. But moving stone, once raised, over a gap andante and onto another fitted joint...That is a horse of the wing-ed type.

A better modern example of 'heavy lifting' is the Coral Castle linked already.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 05:00 PM   #110
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Yes, especially if you set it up as something essentially unattainable for normal humans. I am as biased as anybody, but I pride myself in being receptive to well-reasoned arguments backed by evidence. The fact that Shermer has been floored by a crank archaeologist is not evidence of anything interesting.

Several years ago I saw a TV documentary about the Egyptian Sphinx where a guy tried rather unconvincingly to prove that the Sphinx was much older than the pyramids and the temple complex. I wonder if that was Hancock.
That probably was his fellow crank Robert Bauval, who managed to trick the BBC in having him make a documentary about his "theories". Hancock and Bauval published a couple of books together. When I opened this thread, that documentary was my first association too. The documentary, IIRC, presented Bauval's "Orion Correlation Theory" that the three GIzah pyramids were aligned with the stars in the Belt of Orion, and his claim that the Sphinx was constructed around 10,000BC. A cool aspect (technologically seen) was that he had an Austrian (?) company made a small robot that crawled the small corridors in the Great Pyramid. Needless to say, he had not asked permission for this from Hawass and Hawass was rightly pissed off. The Austrians were not happy either when they found out they had been played by a crank. (all from memory).

One thing I always wondered about this Orion theory is whether the reconstruction how Orion's Belt looked around 10,000 BC took account of the proper motion of the stars. The proper motion of the three stars is modest, but it's in opposite directions and we're talking about 12,000 years,
Maybe look at the video, engage these people's modern findings, THEN have an opinion?

Last edited by King of the Americas; 24th May 2017 at 06:42 PM.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 06:11 PM   #111
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
So, yes, I am familiar with some of these moving methods, and they are truly impressive. HOWEVER, there are several elements of the actual stone henge build that are missing from Wallington's videos...

Moving, sure. Raising, just levering and bracing. But moving stone, once raised, over a gap andante and onto another fitted joint...That is a horse of the wing-ed type.

A better modern example of 'heavy lifting' is the Coral Castle linked already.
If it were me, I'd raise it, then put the side stones in as a second step, then lower it ontop of them.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 06:41 PM   #112
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
If it were me, I'd raise it, then put the side stones in as a second step, then lower it ontop of them.
Send your recommendation to Wally...
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 08:29 PM   #113
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Maybe look at the video, engage these people's modern findings, THEN have an opinion?
We've conceded that Hancock won the debate. Yippeeeee! Take it to the Sports sub-forum, as I said. This one is called General Skepticism and the Paranormal. In this area we examine extraordinary claims and hypotheses.

Now, if you wish to discuss Hancock and his well-refuted theories, please feel free to do so. We ain't watching 3.5 hours of Youtube, though. Some of us have server issues, some of us simply refuse to argue by proxy, others are concerned about security/malware/etc...

You know this well. You want to argue something, argue it. Stop referring people to another source. Make your specific claims, not as to who got two points on the Debate-O-Matic Meter but as to which points you think prove any of his whack-assed theories.

Take your pick. We have:

"Lookee... after trying every possible permutation this proves that the Pyramids are actually an ancient starmap."

"Hey, lookit how square them Japanese rocks are. No way, that's natural, man! Ancients, I tell ya. Has to be!"

"I once went to Ethiopia. Yep. And I don't have any tape of the interview or anyone to corroborate it, but this really honest-seeming prelate told me the Ark of the Covenant was right there in this here building, but oh, look my time is running out and we don't have the time to check it out, so on to my next adventure."

"See that silt? Atlantis, obviously!"

"See, what happened is these ancient scholars felt all guilty and stuff for having caused the Great Flood. Why? I dunno, but let's just suppose that they did. And that's why they threw away all their really neat technology and metalware and even their drinking cups and tableware. "

Now all you have to do to win the debate on behalf of Hancock, is to show one iota, shard, piece of actual evidence or scientific proof that supports any of those hypotheses. Just one.

Ready? Steady. Debate!
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 09:04 PM   #114
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
I listened to the whole thing. I think Shermer did OK. He's not the Lion of Skepticism, but he got his points in in his own gentle way. Overall it sounded like he wanted to be as fair as possible to Hancock.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 11:20 PM   #115
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,914
I'm listening to the podcast now and I think Shermer's doing fine, though admittedly I'm only about 40 minutes in so far.

It's worth noting that it's basically 3 on 1. Hancock, Carlson, and Rogan are all arguing the point that there's something beyond the standard view of archeology going on. Every time Shermer tries to make a point Joe just gets incredulous. Shermer, for instance says, that we don't know how it was done, but maybe hunter gatherers were simply capable of things that we didn't realise. Joe gets incredulous about that idea, but not about the idea that the renegades of an advanced civilisation that was collapsing migrated to the region and taught advanced technology to the people there.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 11:39 PM   #116
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist
 
SusanB-M1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,435
Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Hancock and "facts" don't exist in the same room. Hancock's nonsense about Gobekli Tepe is hilarious. The site is almost certainly not some offshoot of a "Lost Civilization". It appears instead to be a very early maybe even before settled agriculture ritual gathering place.
However, his earlier books always used to have a paragraph at the end of each chapter saying which points were fact and which were his speculation. I was always looking for work to counter the speculation but at the time - 1970s? - it wasn't on the Library or bookshop shelves.


ETA; #113 Foollmewunz. nice post - as always of course!

I would also like to add, quite modestly of course, that as a member of the GH message board I have started a few topics on the subject of ancient civilisations, causing some derision amongst those who insist they were there, but have never seen one verifiable fact posted!

so why on earth am I a member of the GH message board some might well ask. Well, I was new to computers and the internet, found it, and decided to look in. I'm still there, pursuing and firmly maintaining the sceptic challenge to all woo!

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 25th May 2017 at 12:01 AM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 12:57 AM   #117
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,801
Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
However, his earlier books always used to have a paragraph at the end of each chapter saying which points were fact and which were his speculation. I was always looking for work to counter the speculation but at the time - 1970s? - it wasn't on the Library or bookshop shelves.


ETA; #113 Foollmewunz. nice post - as always of course!

I would also like to add, quite modestly of course, that as a member of the GH message board I have started a few topics on the subject of ancient civilisations, causing some derision amongst those who insist they were there, but have never seen one verifiable fact posted!

so why on earth am I a member of the GH message board some might well ask. Well, I was new to computers and the internet, found it, and decided to look in. I'm still there, pursuing and firmly maintaining the sceptic challenge to all woo!
Thanks for the compliment but the hilited portion sums up my painfully long contentions in a single phrase.

I was a fan of Chariots of the Gods back in the day. It was all fun, particularly the Nazca Lines. One by one, I read intelligent refutations of them, and the conclusions are obvious. Personal incredulity as pseudo-history. It all comes down to "C'mon, man! You're telling me mere humans did that!"

Eric Idle did a bit on "Cufflinks of the GODS" on SNL, proving that earth had previously been inhabited by a civilization of stand-up comics. I can't find it on Youtube. It fits perfectly here.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 01:48 AM   #118
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,914
Man, I'm starting to get annoyed here. Every time Shermer tries to make a point they cut him off half way through and won't let him finish what he's saying.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 03:02 AM   #119
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,251
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Man, I'm starting to get annoyed here. Every time Shermer tries to make a point they cut him off half way through and won't let him finish what he's saying.
Having a debate isn't about truth or evidence, it's about debating skills. In the case of 3 on 1, it's not even that. Hardly requires a special knowledge or talent to be rude and keep interrupting and talking over the top of somebody...
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 03:11 AM   #120
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 17,527
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
So, yes, I am familiar with some of these moving methods, and they are truly impressive. HOWEVER, there are several elements of the actual stone henge build that are missing from Wallington's videos...

Moving, sure. Raising, just levering and bracing. But moving stone, once raised, over a gap andante and onto another fitted joint...That is a horse of the wing-ed type.

A better modern example of 'heavy lifting' is the Coral Castle linked already.
Argument from incredulity? The guys at MegaCo/07 managed, and I gave you a link to a description how to do it.

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Maybe look at the video, engage these people's modern findings, THEN have an opinion?
Bravo for managing to garble the quoted material; part of it is from steenkh, not me. And as you can see from the post, both steenkh and I did watch the documentary. And pray tell, which modern findings?
__________________
Founder of the group "The Truth about AnjezŽ Gonxhe Bojaxhiu aka Mother Teresa"

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

Last edited by ddt; 25th May 2017 at 03:19 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.