ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags protest incidents

Old 8th November 2017, 03:26 PM   #241
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Gee- am I required to believe that all posters on this forum are always sincere when they post? Or if I am allowed to believe that privately in my heart of hearts (nice of the forum to permit it)- am I prohibited from questioning it in my public posts? Well I don't believe that all posters in the forum are always sincere in their posted statements. In fact, to further shock you, I believe that there are trolls on this very forum! But I also believe that I am free to state these views here as long as I do not identify individuals. Which I never have and will not do. Ironically given the topic we are discussing one might see your post to be meant as a threat, but fortunately, given it is not based on the actual rules, I didn't take it as such.
'k.
Old 8th November 2017, 03:35 PM   #242
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Ugh those hypothetical are terrible.... on so many levels....

Try this one: employee posts negative thing on social media about client, company finds out about it, immediately launches her into the sun. Client does not threaten, does not in fact know about it.

You still think the client threatened the Company? Answer: No.
Thanks for supplying my answer for me- I was totally puzzled as to the correct one- yes, no- so complicated...

You are now stating that Trump (and all the power of the US government he controls) is essentially the same as a private client and that it is legitimate for us all to be careful not to offend him least we perceive that he might punish us, whether he has explicitly said he would or not? Trump's power to punish extends to us all, not just to government contractors: taxes, government investigations, etc. Sure it is illegal for Trump to employ these for political purposes- but so would be his use of the awarding of government contracts. And again I remind you that it was you who perceived a connection between the company firing Briskman and the threat of them losing government contracts (which would be illegal, unlike the situation with a private client).
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 03:39 PM   #243
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

'k.
"nuff said." As with many of our prior "witty" exchanges I fear this is boring the other posters and moving away from the OP. I also have work to do. So let's abandon our pleasant diversion for now, okay?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 03:44 PM   #244
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for supplying my answer for me- I was totally puzzled as to the correct one- yes, no- so complicated...

You are now stating that Trump (and all the power of the US government he controls) is essentially the same as a private client and that it is legitimate for us all to be careful not to offend him least we perceive that he might punish us, whether he has explicitly said he would or not? Trump's power to punish extends to us all, not just to government contractors: taxes, government investigations, etc. Sure it is illegal for Trump to employ these for political purposes- but so would be his use of the awarding of government contracts. And again I remind you that it was you who perceived a connection between the company firing Briskman and the threat of them losing government contracts (which would be illegal, unlike the situation with a private client).
So many strawmen....
Old 8th November 2017, 03:59 PM   #245
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Called it:
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
If it's any consolation, I bet she'll end up with a better job than before.
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
I'm sure at least one of those offers is both legit and better than what she had.

ETA: Oh, that's Fake News, isn't it. Should have been tipped off. Something like "thousands of job offers" might have been real but precisely 453,673? No way. Who's counting.

Last edited by Puppycow; 8th November 2017 at 04:09 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 04:10 PM   #246
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

It is nice to know that if I speak out against Trump I will not be jailed, but would I really be free to express this reasonable opinion if, as a result, I will be fired from my job, kicked out of my apartment, have the local supermarket and shops refuse to deal with me, have my children made laughing stocks at school, and have people yell insults at me as I walk down the street?
It sounds like you're speaking about those brave souls who dare don a MAGA hat.
Old 8th November 2017, 06:59 PM   #247
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Forgive me if I suggest that these answers require clarification, but this might not be the right thread.
I will say this: Your questions also require clarification.

"We must do something! This is something. We must do this!"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 07:34 PM   #248
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

LOVE IT!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 07:41 PM   #249
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I just heard on the news that a journalist is facing imprisonment for criticizing Robert Mugabe. It's good to have a goal to shoot for.
With Trumpf Mugabe it becomes possibly a goal to get shot for...................

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 07:59 PM   #250
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This offer cracked me up:
Quote:
“She can take over our spin classes and teach everyone that great presidential salute!”
Clip art is included: turning right, turning left, stopping, greeting the President.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:15 PM   #251
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This offer cracked me up:
Clip art is included: turning right, turning left, stopping, greeting the President.
It would amuse me greatly if she ended up teaching spin classes to embittered liberals who paid extra for a routine of cathartic release through visualizing the bird to the president
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #252
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why ever not?

"Obscene"? - (of the portrayal or description of sexual matters) offensive or disgusting by accepted standards of morality and decency (Google Dictionary)

In 2017?
Really?
It's a standard description of the gesture. At least in America, if someone uses the phrase "obscene gesture", that gesture is almost certainly what they mean. Put the phrase into google image search. I'll bet that's what comes up. Lots of pictures of that very gesture. (I haven't tried it myself, and won't on this computer.)

And yet.....it doesn't fit any definition of the word "obscene". Language is weird that way. A phrase can mean something, even though it doesn't fit any of the words in the phrase.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:19 PM   #253
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wait.

Was she fired for giving Trump the finger?

Or was she fired for making the rude gesture part of her social media profile, contrary to her employer's public image policy?
When it comes to "why" questions, I find that the answers are rarely what the answers are claimed to be. Sometimes, even the person performing the action might not know the real reason he did it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:28 PM   #254
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
When it comes to "why" questions, I find that the answers are rarely what the answers are claimed to be. Sometimes, even the person performing the action might not know the real reason he did it.
Why do you find that to be so?
Old 9th November 2017, 01:07 AM   #255
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Ugh those hypothetical are terrible.... on so many levels....

Try this one: employee posts negative thing on social media about client, company finds out about it, immediately launches her into the sun. Client does not threaten, does not in fact know about it.

You still think the client threatened the Company? Answer: No.
That's something very different from expressing a political opinion.
Old 9th November 2017, 05:58 AM   #256
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

With Trumpf, I am quite sure she saw it, realized what she saw and properly and with no thought necessary made the gesture. I certainly would have!!! It is the only salute that pos deserves.

Wash this space!

Old 9th November 2017, 09:28 AM   #257
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
With Trumpf, I am quite sure she saw it, realized what she saw and properly and with no thought necessary made the gesture. I certainly would have!!! It is the only salute that pos deserves.
I'm sure she spoke clearly for my brother, who was written up for being late to work last year after being delayed by (then candidate) Trump's motorcade in Dallas.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 03:26 PM   #258
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

It's a standard description of the gesture. At least in America, if someone uses the phrase "obscene gesture", that gesture is almost certainly what they mean. Put the phrase into google image search. I'll bet that's what comes up. Lots of pictures of that very gesture. (I haven't tried it myself, and won't on this computer.)

And yet.....it doesn't fit any definition of the word "obscene". Language is weird that way. A phrase can mean something, even though it doesn't fit any of the words in the phrase.
I did this experiment and "the bird" was indeed the most common image that came up. There were a few others as well, but this one stood out:

WARNING!!! POSSIBLY NSFW IMAGE:
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 05:02 PM   #259
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I did this experiment and "the bird" was indeed the most common image that came up. There were a few others as well, but this one stood out:

WARNING!!! POSSIBLY NSFW IMAGE:
That is lovely indeed!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 10th November 2017, 05:19 PM   #260
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I blame a bad neighbourhood...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 08:47 AM   #261
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

If it was good enough and important enough for Mr. Rogers, it is fine by me as a response!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 11th November 2017, 11:33 PM   #262
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I love it. You The Hair is fuming over this. This is just the sort of thing it would notice.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 10:47 PM   #263
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I love it. You The Hair is fuming over this. This is just the sort of thing it would notice.
Is there actually any evidence at all that "You The Hair" notices anything not carried by the major media outlets?
Old 14th November 2017, 01:08 PM   #264
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Is there actually any evidence at all that "You The Hair" notices anything not carried by the major media outlets?
Yes.

https://news.vice.com/story/trump-fo...ws-white-house
Twice a day since the beginning of the Trump administration, a special folder is prepared for the president. The first document is prepared around 9:30 a.m. and the follow-up, around 4:30 p.m. Former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and former Press Secretary Sean Spicer both wanted the privilege of delivering the 20-to-25-page packet to President Trump personally, White House sources say.

These sensitive papers, described to VICE News by three current and former White House officials, don’t contain top-secret intelligence or updates on legislative initiatives. Instead, the folders are filled with screenshots of positive cable news chyrons (those lower-third headlines and crawls), admiring tweets, transcripts of fawning TV interviews, praise-filled news stories, and sometimes just pictures of Trump on TV looking powerful.

Clearly those stories are cannot all be coming from major media outlets.
Old 14th November 2017, 02:21 PM   #265
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Yes.

https://news.vice.com/story/trump-fo...ws-white-house
Twice a day since the beginning of the Trump administration, a special folder is prepared for the president. The first document is prepared around 9:30 a.m. and the follow-up, around 4:30 p.m. Former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and former Press Secretary Sean Spicer both wanted the privilege of delivering the 20-to-25-page packet to President Trump personally, White House sources say.

These sensitive papers, described to VICE News by three current and former White House officials, don’t contain top-secret intelligence or updates on legislative initiatives. Instead, the folders are filled with screenshots of positive cable news chyrons (those lower-third headlines and crawls), admiring tweets, transcripts of fawning TV interviews, praise-filled news stories, and sometimes just pictures of Trump on TV looking powerful.

Clearly those stories are cannot all be coming from major media outlets.
They're also hand-picked by his staff. And pro-Trump. So, clearly not the kind of thing he would notice on his own. Still no evidence that Craig4's dream of a seething "You the Hair" is actually a likelihood.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:22 PM   #266
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

We know he pays attention to what goes on in his Twitter feed because he regularly blocks users. So yes, we know he does notice things not from major media outlets.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 05:29 PM   #267
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Both left and right use the non-applicability of the 1A to workplaces to stifle people they don't like.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 05:42 PM   #268
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

We know he pays attention to what goes on in his Twitter feed because he regularly blocks users. So yes, we know he does notice things not from major media outlets.
You think her (fake) job prospects are coming up in his Twitter feed?
Old 14th November 2017, 05:44 PM   #269
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He has assistants enablers for that, to prevent him from seeing it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics